Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Too Hard to Pick!
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

When you encounter someone who has never seen MacGyver before, which episode do you show them?

I try and select ones that have a lot of macgyverisms and action.

This usually leads me to the first season - but this has its drawbacks, such as hoakey 80's B actors in the smaller roles.

Which episode(s) would you describe as the "quintissential" episode?

This is an interesting question, though, because of how much the texture of the show changes over time - a season 1 episode will generally not be representative of a season 7 episode. I guess I just try to pick the ones I like best rolleyes.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 09:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

One of the more suspenseful episodes. I don't know. Lesson in Evil, Stricktly Business, Humanity, Cease Fire for instance. Showing what MacGyver does best and hop in the third season like Kill Zone or The Negotiator.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
jackwabbit
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 09:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker

I have no idea, but I can say that Strictly Business lights my fire these days...Mac knows how to use a gun while he has amnesia, you say? Really....

Interesting...

And where, pray tell, would he have learned that little skill...?

I've never believed Mac has never used a gun, and never will...

Thanks to this ep for helping feed my particular delusion...

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 09:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker

I always start with the pilot, then a few of my favorites (like Widowmaker and The Challenge...) that show the scope and range of the dramatic side of RDA as an actor.

But I've loaned entire sets because I want a person to see why I've liked MacGyver for so long, and recommend to parents as a "must see" for pre-teens and up.

...and sometime I have to chase folks to get the set back. sad.gif

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Berni
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 09:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:can't decide
Jacket:  ---

Good question hmm.bmp

Depends on the person, because I'd really like to make him/her addicted to the series whistle.gif

If this person liked James Bond, I would choose a season 1 episode like the pilot, Golden Triangle or The Gauntlet.

If this person was interested/engaged in social things I would suggest an episode like Runners.

If this person liked laughing when watching tv I'd choose an episode with Jack or Penny in it, maybe Brainwashed, Every Time She Smiles or Jack of Spies.
Or Dexter: Jenny's Chance.

Episodes with Murdoc are always good, in my point of view.

I would agree to MacGyverGod concerning Strictly Business, Humanity or Cease fire.

Good Knight MacGyver is not a good one to start with because it reveals his first name and therefore steals a lot of suspense 460.gif wink.gif

Which episode(s) would you describe as the "quintissential" episode?

As you can see in my very "short" answer above, it is very hard for me to decide. What would your choices be? Which episodes from season 1?

And I agree, Season 1 and 7 really are different.
So I think it is not possible to come up with 1 single episode which is representative for the whole series.

What a difficult question blowup.gif

*gives up for now but will be kept busy the whole night thinking about it*

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Berni
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 10:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:can't decide

QUOTE (trtlsoup @ 2 November 2007 - 05:39 AM)
I always start with the pilot, then a few of my favorites (like Widowmaker and The Challenge...) that show the scope and range of the dramatic side of RDA as an actor.

But I've loaned entire sets because I want a person to see why I've liked MacGyver for so long, and recommend to parents as a "must see" for pre-teens and up.

...and sometime I have to chase folks to get the set back. sad.gif

good choice

How did you make them interested in MacGyver? I sometimes tried to "introduce" MacGyver to my friends but they either don't like action series at all or laugh at me because I love this "old-fashioned" series and RDA's look sad.gif mad.gif
Is there any trick you use wink.gif ?

Macs Lab Rat
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 10:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I think the Human Factor is a good introduction episode to MacGyver. smile.gif

How did you make them interested in MacGyver?
I wish I knew how to get my friends to like MacGyver. One of them loved it when it was on the TV when she was younger but the only thing she likes about it now is the theme tune. She will quite happily spend the day humming the tune but I can't get her to sit down to watch any episodes. She'd rather watch reality TV shows. blink.gif I have no idea what happened between childhood to adulthood that brought about that change! I am on a mission to reverse that but so far I’m getting nowhere. unsure.gif I feel such a failure!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Straw
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 10:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites

I agree it depends on the person, and as most of the people I show it too would be considered "action-adventure" lovers, I usually start with one of the episodes on the first disk of season 1 - usually the gauntlet, golden triangle, or the theif of budapest. Sometimes, though, I just let them look through the first three or four season boxes and pick whatever episodes strike their fancy, although the small paragraphs seldom do justice to what the episodes are really like. It's so hard for me personally to choose, they all really are good! Sometimes they pick an unexpected one that I don't normally think to watch, and I am reminded of another great episode (although most people are drawn to names like "The Assasin" or "The Gauntlet" just because they sound exciting).

I guess it might not be possible to choose a quintissential episode in that earlier discussed sense. I think a good compromise is just to pick an episode that shows what mac is all about - and that could arguably be almost any episode!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jack Straw
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 10:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites

QUOTE (Macs Lab Rat @ 2 November 2007 - 06:28 AM)
I think the Human Factor is a good introduction episode to MacGyver. smile.gif

How did you make them interested in MacGyver?
I wish I knew how to get my friends to like MacGyver. One of them loved it when it was on the TV when she was younger but the only thing she likes about it now is the theme tune. She will quite happily spend the day humming the tune but I can't get her to sit down to watch any episodes. She'd rather watch reality TV shows. blink.gif I have no idea what happened between childhood to adulthood that brought about that change! I am on a mission to reverse that but so far I’m getting nowhere. unsure.gif I feel such a failure!

Good idea on the human factor - "Sports page." biggrin.gif

Kinda funny, I took my DVD's to college one year, and tried to get some of my friends into it - they were kind of hippy-types, so they were open to anything - anyway, I wound up getting everyone hooked on it, sometime a couple people would wind up watching a whole 4-episode disk in a night!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 12:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (jackwabbit @ 2 November 2007 - 06:38 AM)
I have no idea, but I can say that Strictly Business lights my fire these days...Mac knows how to use a gun while he has amnesia, you say?  Really....

Interesting...

And where, pray tell, would he have learned that little skill...?

I've never believed Mac has never used a gun, and never will...

Thanks to this ep for helping feed my particular delusion...

Well probably while he was in the special forces?

Anyway I think the Gauntlet gives a pretty good indication of what the first few years of the show where about.. special agent, the go to guy, type stuff.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 12:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker

QUOTE (Berni @ 1 November 2007 - 02:04 PM)
How did you make them interested in MacGyver? I sometimes tried to "introduce" MacGyver to my friends but they either don't like action series at all or laugh at me because I love this "old-fashioned" series and RDA's look  sad.gif  mad.gif
Is there any trick you use  wink.gif ?

Hmmm... usually it's the actor that a draw. Most of my friends heard of MacGyver, but never watched it until after a few episodes of Stargate. And then it like, "Oh! THAT'S MacGyver!" And they'd ask to borrow my DVD's. Which I have prominently displayed in my office area. happy.gif

And I found out that my son was watching TVLand and watching MacGyver with his friends. That there is a resounding recommendation for the over-the-teenage-years crowd.

And if all else fails, grab your DVD's and sing-song "You don't know what you're missing..."

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 12:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

Hmm, I asked pretty much the same question in this thread back in early September, and got some really good suggestions. In my case, I had to pick two episodes with a third as a possible extra.

I went with "The Human Factor" (it's effectively a second pilot -- it re-introduced the considerably reworked series for its second season, it has a more coherent storyline than the original pilot, and it doesn't have the overblown folksy accent) and "The Gauntlet", which won a coin toss over "Nightmares".

Although this suggestion of Nymphy's was a particularly entertaining idea, and I might use that another time . . . laugh.gif

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Astra
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 01:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (Berni @ 1 November 2007 - 08:04 PM)

How did you make them interested in MacGyver? ...
Is there any trick you use  wink.gif ?

Well, last time I did it it went like this: I was visiting a friend in Bavaria and together with a third friend we did long hikings in the mountains. Don't know how it happened, but we started to talk about MacGyver (we got to know each other at a Stargate-board). So she asked me, what exactly Mac was, if he had been some kind of agent or what?

And I started to speak and didn't stop for a while laugh.gif I just summarized by heart some episodes that came to mind first, tried to show the range, the different things he had done, and I was very emotional and excited about it and in the end she said, well, it sounds as if I really should watch it one day (oh, I have to add, that she is much more into Daniel than Jack in "Stargate", so ist isn't only about the actor).

And she kept her promise and started right at the beginning and from time to time we talk about the episodes she has seen and which she liked and which she didn't and just recently I asked her whether she still watches it just for the sake of having seen it once or if in the meantime Mac caught her heart (I mean, who can resist for long?) and if she now watches it since she wants to and is interested in what happens next.

Don't have an answer yet, but I'll let you know, if you want to.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 02:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

It happened though that when my friend came over after we went out in the youth house he asked if we could watch an episode. And he always asks for one with many MacGyverisms. So this resulted in one night The Pilot and another night in Nightmares.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll