Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

The irony of our feelings is that every generation have complained about the now and said how better life was back then. biggrin.gif Yet living back then seemed to be rather tough at times.

I am grateful I did not live during a war like my folks did. The only horrible stories my son will ever have to hear are my bad days at work if ever. biggrin.gif

I just wish he could grow up like I did. Walk the block, leave your door unlocked, ride around on his bike till whenever, watch a movie unsupervised. But in this day and age, there is no chance of that happening.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 14 August 2014 - 12:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Sometimes I think about it. Mostly about the war. And what you say about living back than and how tough it was. I can understand that during WO II times were tough. But sometimes I just can't help but think, how the hell did they go through the day? During WO II I can still think of a few things like helping around in the neighborhood. But as a kid and also later in the '50s and '60s. TV's were still a dream for a lot of people. The video gaming industry was yet to be born. Though it may not have been, it seemed very boring.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 14 August 2014 - 01:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 14 August 2014 - 08:51 PM)
Sometimes I think about it. Mostly about the war. And what you say about living back than and how tough it was. I can understand that during WO II times were tough. But sometimes I just can't help but think, how the hell did they go through the day? During WO II I can still think of a few things like helping around in the neighborhood. But as a kid and also later in the '50s and '60s. TV's were still a dream for a lot of people. The video gaming industry was yet to be born. Though it may not have been, it seemed very boring.

It's today which is boring.

Today kids sit around playing video games about war, or skate boarding or whatever. Back then kids actually went outside and played war for real. We built our own toy guns and weapons, we made bow and arrows and catapults and wooden swords and actually played out the action scenes that young kids only watch on a screen today. We built rafts and dirt bombs to have battles on the water against each other. We had the most intense games of Four Square you've ever seen where your entire reputation was on the line. We spent days builting forts out of old trees or mountain biking tracks and jumps out in the woods. We'd make our own adventures complete with hidden treasures and secret maps.

We did everything this generation does, except we did it for real.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 14 August 2014 - 01:21 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I should've joined the boyscout as most of my friends. Except it never came to mind. Not to mine or my mothers because I think if it did, she would've send me at the starting age of 6.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Harry1982
Posted: 17 August 2014 - 05:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Episode:Passages

We didn't need no boyscouts. We went to forrest, built treehouses and had some war there or treasure hiding. During night we had flashlights and played hide and seek. Cops and robbers with bikes, soccer & ice hockey tournaments, building ice castles, digging tunnels, adventures to old abandoned houses etc. I mean we did all kinds of things together in the outdoor. There were many times when parents were searching for us as we runned around the town, sometimes missing a whole day, but we never felt scared to be out there.

Nowadays it's so different. You definitely don't walk into neighbours house just like that. Now you hardly even know your neighbours and everybody keeps their doors locked. Back in the old days, everybody knew eachothers and we spent lots of time together, both parents and kids. Someone always had a party or barbeque where we gathered to have some food and spend time together. I really miss those moments and I don't think the times are getting back as we're so cautious and isolated nowadays.

Harry Jackson: There was a time when I could run all day without breaking a sweat. I tell ya: it's hell getting old.
MacGyver: Age is only in the mind, Harry.
Harry Jackson: Well, my mind tells me I'm gettin' old.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 18 August 2014 - 12:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

To compensate it, though I haven't seen any of it this year, during the summer some streets organise during a whole day (mostly Sundays) a play street. Meaning people in the street go out, let their kids play with other kids have a bbq and get together. But I haven't seen those this year though. These are also usually one-way streets and they close down the street for the day.

When I was young, I usally played on the square across the street.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 15 September 2014 - 07:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

I literally did whatever I wished as a kid. Within reason of course, I wasn't allowed to make fires near the house or outbuildings for instance. tongue.gif Just about anything besides that was fine and looking back it was great to have such freedom. I don't think it would be boring living in the past, although I would probably miss a few things. Eventually I'd get over it and find stuff to take it's place, I'm sure. And less people in the world would've meant more solitude and quiet for me. Me, my cat, a comfy chair, a pile of books, and sitting in front of a fireplace with no one around for miles. smile.gif Disconnected down time forever.

Ya know, I've the same thing about not locking your doors in the olden days soooooo many times I kinda wonder if that's somewhat of a myth. I think leaving your house open to any passing hooligan in any era was a pretty dumb idea. I like the idea that there's at least some measure of barrier between me and a thief or creep while I'm sleeping. Also coming to mind is a time I forgot to lock the door when a girlfriend was over and my mom dropped by. :blush.gif:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Duckt tape
Posted: 15 September 2014 - 11:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Jacket:  ---

I wonder how it would be like to be a kid nowadays. Seems like kids aren't allowed to do much anything except for being online all the time. If, for example, some kid runs away from kindergarten it's always on the news. When did 'kids don't want to go to school/kindergarten' become a newsflash? When I was kid me and my friend run away everyday! We just got bored and walked to my friends house and came back to kindergarten before our parents came from work to pick us home. Sure it wasn't allowed but it wasn't that big deal, kids just used to want to explore things. Now when that same happens with the kids today people blame society, social services, teachers and wonder is there something wrong inside the family. What happened to the simple kids want to explore?

But fortunately there's still many things that haven't change. We still keep our doors open when ever some of us is home (except for the nights) and once in a while forget to lock it when we go out. And even when we're not home there's usually some door open in case we forget to take keys with us (which happens quite often). And I've always known my neighbors smile.gif

PM                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 16 September 2014 - 09:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

QUOTE (Duckt tape @ 16 September 2014 - 07:00 PM)
We still keep our doors open when ever some of us is home (except for the nights) and once in a while forget to lock it when we go out. And even when we're not home there's usually some door open in case we forget to take keys with us (which happens quite often). And I've always known my neighbors smile.gif

Years ago I was putting things away in a closet near my front door when I heard the knob rattling. I looked out the peep hole and there was this unsavory looking girl standing there. I watched here go to other apartments checking to see if they were unlocked. I lived in a larger city at the time. I wondered if she was just working alone, or had other people waiting to follow. Also what would've happened if someone where home.

A couple years ago I was living in a small town, nice area, zero crime, but one night someone tried to get in through the back door. They knew someone was home, I'm quite sure. They were trying to force the lock when their cell phone went off, which made me aware of their presence and they fled. They left so fast they even dropped some of their personal items, headphones and some other junk.

Food for thought. Keys are easily carried and only cost a dollar at any hardware store. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Fly_airdalton
Posted: 16 September 2014 - 09:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: w/ the lighter

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Phoenix Under Siege
Vehicle: Nomad
House:  Loft

Oh wow. I can relate. I do remember those times before the net came along.
I empathize with my children. I just wanted them to have a vivid, and very active childhood like me.Sometimes I look around the world I live in now...*shakes head in disbelief*

It wasn't all fun and games. However, some kids don't know how to be a kid anymore and that's a waste. We got into scrapes and scuffles with each other, but came back another day.
Bike racing, mountain climbing, playing sports, trick or treating,after school activities. Not to.mention scouts, choir, church, swimming in the summer. I was the king of my kingdom.
Maybe a laugh to some, but my room became my castle, defending it against anything that went bump in the night. My parents would have get togethers with famil,friends, and sometimes conducted business with dinner and a handshake. It was really "connecting" with people.I remember. holidays were a great time with extended family. We would play board games, cards and relax. I miss that interaction. Now its all about safety? Expensive security systems ,cameras everywhere; what happened to everybody? Luxury and consumption. Me,me,me.Crazee. I'll take my vinyl records, hot wheels, baseball cards,books, and the like any day. Now, I only use e-mail, internet when I have too. Kids don't get online unless it's homework related, and even then, only an hour. And no phones for them.No social media here .

"It's funny how, when you want time to move along, it never does. But when you're running out of time, it disappears much too soon."-MacGyver (Phoenix Under Siege)

"It's a shooting gallery MacGyver, and we have no guns!"-Murdoc (Halloween Knights)

"We'll never be able to out run it".-Dr.Ludlum
"Come on, where's your sense of adventure?"-MacGyver(The Human Factor)

Last.fm

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 17 September 2014 - 12:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

If there are minimum ages for Tobacco and alcohol and driving, why not one on social media? Like at least 16?

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 1 November 2014 - 02:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

A friend shared this with me, and I thought I'd pass it along here too. smile.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
cmbj67
Posted: 2 November 2014 - 03:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Cease Fire, but not only

That's true, thanks for sharing.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 16 November 2014 - 05:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling

QUOTE (Duckt tape @ 15 September 2014 - 11:00 PM)
If, for example, some kid runs away from kindergarten it's always on the news. When did 'kids don't want to go to school/kindergarten' become a newsflash?

That is so true, I have always thinking that too, plus sounds like everybody are today calling police and TV truck to home when somebody have played little ding dong ditch... I just dont get those news doh.gif big deal

only in Finland

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mac2Nite
Posted: 15 December 2014 - 04:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker/Hunter

Favorites
Episode:The Challenge
Vehicle: Nomad

I for one no longer watch the news. When the local news started showing mostly national & international news I gave up on it. Always made me feel like the world was falling apart when it really is mostly like others said... pulling news stories in from everywhere... and making mountains out of mole hills...

When I retired I noticed that I was still spending a lot of time online even though I no longer worked using a computer... so now I take one week out of each month and simply go off the grid... no computer... no cellphone... it's amazing how good it feels...

"Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 17 June 2015 - 02:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

It's funny, but my wife and I have had this conversation a good bit. She is cell-phoneless, and could get by very well without the internet. I have a cell phone, initially because of my job, but it has grown to be as big a part of my EDC as one of my SAK's. I like the internet, probably mainly because it's like having a library at home and I love to learn, as well as an escape. I've found myself leaving my phone at home and going out into the woods, fishing, hiking, or just enjoying the disconnect time. I can easily understand where Mac was coming from. You need the time to regroup or you just start to fall apart. He was WAY ahead of us I guess!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 17 June 2015 - 06:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

I think it's easier nowadays in many ways. Although, having said that, I don't have a cellphone or any other mobile communications device. No minute to minute urgency in my line of employment. So, when I leave the computer, I leave the communications world. When I get back, there are all my messages and 'calls' listed in chronological order ... and I can get to them when I please. The evening news & newspaper has already become yesterday's news by the time it arrives and thus time saved there as well. And email saves a ton of time & money. No more heading to the post office and bank each day/week. Also, I have some legal proceedings going on ... and email saves so much trouble and time-wasting snail mail correspondence. Sure, it's all addictive like any stimulant that hits the same part of the brain ... but all worth it and better in the long run.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 17 June 2015 - 01:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Yep.

I guess the trick is to use what you need when you need and not let it become an addictive part of your life - which can be much harder than it sounds. laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 17 June 2015 - 04:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
House:  ---

There's a guy on another website who limits his internet time to exactly 1/2 hour a week ... to the second. If he's in the middle of type/thought on a post .... he just hits send wherever he's at and with a disclaimer at the bottom saying that he will be back next week to finish anything that is unfinished. Love it! If we were all only half that disciplined .... laugh.gif

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 13 July 2015 - 09:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:

I have old 80's cars that I like to tinker with in my spare time. I guess this constitutes my "down time." I even used the old duct tape on one last week.

As a teen in the eighties, I really do miss the simplicity we had back then. In fact, part of me still lives there, I think. I still love to watch eighties tv, drive eighties cars and listen to eighties music!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 14 July 2015 - 09:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

From what I remember of the 80's, it was a bit more optimistic about technology, communication and the future. I remember going to Epcot Center as a kid, and the premise behind it was the importance of communication and understanding through technology, arts and science. That was back in 1982 though.

But, I'm right there with you. Things were always so much simpler when you're a kid.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 29 September 2015 - 06:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling

Finally I got rid of the computer, meaning I only use it when I check my email and pay the bills (and write this message) that all takes max 5min per week even if I check the email every day. If there is boring day, then it's boring day, no need to go to internet to spend that boring time away. And this isn't just some temporarily "pause", this is completely totally finished and I'm going to keep this way because after 1 week off time, this just feels so much better and easier for my brain cool.jpg

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 2 December 2015 - 01:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I've been able to limit the 'social networking' to a single bulletin board at any one time and only ever two in total (currently this one - much nicer folks here than the last one). No Twitter (ever), no FB (Ever) etc. and I run LinkedIn for business use only. I have a Flickr account, but its just for me. I have a PAYG mobile and only top-up for calls no (data package), I shouldn't think I take more than 2 calls a month and the only text's tend to be from/to my kids - possibly 10 a month. The mobile is for me and mainly for urgent stuff/getting the kids sorted. I tend to carry it switched on, but occasionally it runs out of battery ad sometimes I don't notice, sometimes I forget it. My brother who had a mobile surgically inserted in his back pocket at birth rants when on the rare occasions he needs to call me if I don't have it and gets most put out when I tell him that I don't carry it for anyone, but me!

I use my tablet occasionally for maps in cities, keeping up with the footy scores when my son is at a match and need to be aware of the result when I collect him), and for reading - I do use it at night before going to sleep - I do occasionally post on here from it, but it isn't that easy to type on and I prefer my portable or PC for proper typing (as now). My worst addiction is emails and I do often check for these, but very few people write to me and I guess I respond to a couple a week that aren't work. I switch work-work off at 5pm, but my own work often runs into the night so then I am using IT until late.

In terms of growing up, my kids haven't had the freedom I did. Now the fields I played on all have houses on them, my old riding school is built on, but the old tree I used to climb is still there. I also had neighbours (lived on the outskirts of a town) and all us kids played outside in the square and as we got older, yes, we roamed the local streets on our bicycles.

I was pleasantly astonished to visit friends in Canada in the summer and find that their estate had front facing garages and the whole community still enjoyed a kind of 'open garage' mentality and everyone sat at the front of their houses and still knew everyone - a bit like my growing up area 30 years ago. I don't think it would happen in the UK now.

My kids have no neighbours, we live in an separate house in the countryside, but I have always let them have friends round when they have wanted it. However, they have had our land to grow up on and spent much time outside when younger. I let them have phones and portables when they went to school (everything at school seems to be done online - this change in education can't be good - they would struggle without a PC for school work which is incredibly bad I think for anyone that can't afford this luxury for their kids as they would have to do it all after school in the library!). Daughter is good with them, I have to watch my son who is a bit addicted to cerebral type games (not shoot 'em up), they also have PAYG phones with no data package - I pay so they have to watch the text bill with their mates. They also have no social media accounts so far. I am a mean mother?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 22 January 2016 - 03:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Here's an interesting little article about people living "off the grid"

user posted image

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 22 January 2016 - 05:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

All I see is a woman cleaning her solar panels.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 22 January 2016 - 09:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

I'd love to have solar panels to clean! I've always been tempted to try to make my own generating station with a windmill and a generator, just to see if I could do it.

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 23 January 2016 - 01:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

interesting article about leaving Facebook.

I Left Facebook Because It Made Me Lonely

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 23 June 2016 - 06:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Interesting little article about downtime and mindfulness.

How distraction is rewiring our brains

PM                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 23 June 2016 - 08:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

It would seem that technology has the better side of us. unsure.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 23 June 2016 - 09:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

It's preparing us for assimilation!

Resistance is futile!

user posted image

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll