This is a reply only forum.
If you wish to start a new topic please post it in the MacGyver Reboot forum.

1-3 Awl
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 26 September 2016 - 05:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

user posted image

1-3 Awl

Airdate: 7 October 2016
Writer: David Slack
Director: Matt Earl Beesley
Guest Cast: Oliver Cooper (Ralph), Aina Dumlao (Andie Lee), Walter Tabayoyong (Dr. Laqman Megat),
Danielle Lyn (Receptionist), Benjamin Taylor (Bulgy Neck Vein), Hans Marrero (Sniper)

MacGyver is sent to Malaysia to extract a terrorist groups' money man who holds key intel on an impending attack. But when the man is shot MacGyver must fight to keep him alive to learn the terrorists' plans.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 7 October 2016 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

This was a bomb! The synthetic music finally made me say 'uncle' out loud ... it sure ain't no Vancouver Symphony to be sure. And Mac's now a Doctor! The Guest Star was annoying, but, then again, he was suppose to be! Liked the soft talk about Mac/Jack's relationship with their dads, & another beer bump at the end ... but that's about all she wrote. Series longevity hopes dropped a good 5 percentage points tonight.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
themacgyverproject
Posted: 7 October 2016 - 08:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Gauntlet
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Yeah the guest star was really annoying and unrealistic. For me the biggest flaw in the series so far is it's too lighthearted and comical -- I would rather it be much more serious (I never watched the original for laughs).

Here are my full thoughts.

InVader
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 02:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: EvoGrip S557

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:

I do agree about the music. It's terribly off from what it should be. The Guest star had a punch face. However, i felt like the MacGyverisms were given a bit more time in this episode. So I see that as a plus...And finally, I'll never look at my windshield wipers the same way ever again.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
DXS
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 03:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Vitorinox

Favorites
Episode:Legend of the Holy Rose

QUOTE (themacgyverproject @ 7 October 2016 - 08:01 PM)
Yeah the guest star was really annoying and unrealistic. For me the biggest flaw in the series so far is it's too lighthearted and comical -- I would rather it be much more serious (I never watched the original for laughs).

Here are my full thoughts.

Wow, I have the opposite view. This series is WAY TO SERIOUS for me. The original was not lighthearted, but was....... just right.

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL                                                                     
DXS
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 03:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Vitorinox

Favorites
Episode:Legend of the Holy Rose

I thought the MacGyverisms were better. The pop can one, they way he described it, just like RDA did. And less use of the "words" on the MacGyverisms.

I guess I have come to the conclusion that I want Lucas Till to do it JUST LIKE RDA did it. No, I"m not one of those women that were all GAGA over RDA. I just thought RDA was an excellent pick and really put a lot of positive spin on the series. I see why Henry Winkler picked RDA for the original. I guess I just want that to be part of this reboot, but I'm not seeing it.

I still miss the Bruce McGill way of playing Jack Dalton. The George Eads way is.....not Bruce McGill.

I'm trying to like it....... but it's just way too serious. Plus, RDA being in his 30's when he played MacGyver versus Lucas Till only being in his 20's..... way too noticable difference. This "young" McGyver isn't old enough to have served in the military! Well, then again, in another part of this forum, someone brought up the COUNTDOWN episode and wondered if MacGyver was IN the military or was he a military contractor who defused bombs. Never thought about that, but GOOD QUESTION.

I kind pf liked the annoying character, I liked the way it offset the seriousness of the show.

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 04:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Great review TMP!

The cinematography/lighting/props are way, way off (so far). The original went overboard in making the sets look so inviting and so that the viewer could almost step right through the screen and be apart of it. This series (so far) is way too plastic, generic, computerized and thus cookie-cutter. Nothing much they can do about it, I'm afraid - sign of the times. It's sort of like oriental rugs. All the documentation, details are there to be able to recreate the beautiful handwoven, vegetal dyed rugs of the past, yet it's almost impossible to do in this day and age, and even if they did, it would be way too costly. Same as a tv series.

-------

I like Eads, but he's a bit 'too' Texan in character..... and so it makes it hard to believe that he's a well-travelled, man of the world. McGill had that can't quite pin point his origins thing happening .... and that is essential for that character roll. Oh, it just dawned on me that Till's shoulders are way too small (compare with RDA). It kinda matters because you don't get the imposing feel that he's ever done anything physical before ... and yet his resume/history/occupation screams otherwise.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

KiwiTek
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 04:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (DXS @ 8 October 2016 - 11:06 PM)
Wow, I have the opposite view. This series is WAY TO SERIOUS for me. The original was not lighthearted, but was....... just right.

Is it too serious or just taking itself to serious?

RDA often said in interviews that they never took themselves too seriously and always had "tongues planted firmly in cheeks" so I wonder if that's something us old fans are noticing as a difference?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 05:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I haven't seen this latest episode yet, but unless it's drastically different from the first two, I can't imagine it being too serious. The first two episodes felt downright goofy at times, with the silly background music sometimes bordering on cartoonish.

The original series fluctuated a LOT in tone. There were episodes that took themselves very seriously, and there were also extremely campy/silly episodes. And there were also plenty of in-between episodes.

The difference for me is that none of the humor in this reboot ever comes from Mac himself (at least not in the first two episodes... haven't seen the latest one.) RDA was quite good at comedy, and it came through in Mac's mannerisms, facial expressions, tone of voice, etc. Watching him get exasperated with Jack, for example, was always entertaining. I'm not sure if Lucas has that ability yet, or if the writers just aren't giving him anything to work with.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver12186
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 06:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I loved it...

First and fore most my wife who doesn't like Macgyver period actually paid attention to tonight episode (she's nurse) and pointed out for the first time (in either the old or new series) the Macgyverisms were realistic.. I disagree as many magyverisms from the first show the TV movies an even young MacGyver and the new show are realistic but... still She is slowly getting interested biggrin.gif

but beyond that how do I feel.. well for on I feel like I am betraying the original series as I love the new show this episode is by and large the best one so far but lets do the lists as I have been doing for each show so for

Negatives
1. Wilt Bowzer...I have tried to like this character believe me I have tried I just find him so annoying
2. Thornton is back to too serious I feel I guess there was no moments for her to show her humanity but still I don't know if it's how the part is written or h actress I mean episode 2 showed her closer to Pete and episode 3 she is back to being Dench's M for lack of a better term
3. the guest star was a bit too annoying...
4. couldn't the do the "parental figure drama" garbage with Mac's grandfather who played that cliché role before it became a cliché role in T.V.'s Again cast RDA as Harry Jackson (or if he is so dead set you know what Brue McGill would make a decent Harry to be honest)

Postives

1. OMG the punch/shake of thing RDA does TILL DID!!!
2. Eads and Till have such great chemistry whoever said they don't (refferng to the pilot) is either nuts or doesn't know what chemistry is. he graveyard scene the beer scene all of it was great.
3. ALL THE MACGYVERISM WERE ORIGINAL!!!!!! So happy not once did I say "oh wow they did the same thing in ..." and al of them were really cool plus I remember the big fear was Mac was going to be some annoying hacker person and with that fear the line "I am not the be with computers while everyone else on my block was playing with programs on their laptop I took mine apart to see how it worked" I laughed so hard
4. Till continues to be PERFECT he is better then any actor I pictured.

So excited for episode 4 as this is the first time an actor is going to be both from the original series and in the new series
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0059946/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

so looking forward to seeing the return of actor Elya Baskn to the world of Macgyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 07:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Macgyver12186 @ 9 October 2016 - 02:15 AM)
So excited for episode 4 as this is the first time an actor is going to be both from the original series and in the new series
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0059946/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

so looking forward to seeing the return of actor Elya Baskn to the world of Macgyver

That's pretty cool! I didn't realize he was going to be in it. It works nicely because in the original series, he was in "Soft Touch," which was a Penny Parker episode, and Penny Parker will be in next week's episode.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 09:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I wonder if he'll be back as "Biff". lol

Finally finished watching it... I don't have cable, so I have to wait until it's released on the CBS website, which is the following morning.

Not bad! Honestly...

The actors feel more at ease in their roles this time around. I spy rubber duckies! lol

There were actually moments were Lucas Till has that reserved "I give a crap" feel from the original first season and actually comes off as legit. I do feel the humor is still a bit forced, but it did make me chuckle a few times... so it's all good and a bag of potato chips.

However, RDA always came off as an entertainer than an actor... and I think that's why the humor worked so well in MacGyver and Stargate SG-1. He seems to enjoy making people laugh.

Now if they can just channel that a bit more, I think the humor won't be so forced.

Story wise and MacGyverisms were great! Sure, the guest role was annoying as well... but as Joe said, he was supposed to be. I have a pretty high tolerance for annoying... usually... most of the time... lol

All in all, I give it a 4 out of 5 and a Nice Job from me. happy.gif

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
InVader
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 09:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: EvoGrip S557

Favorites
Episode:

Anyone else catch the hurting hand after the punch? That was nice to see.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 10:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:

I said I wasn't going to watch this...but I found myself still doing so. And...

I honestly thought it was better this week. I watched on my laptop and didn't have the sound issues I do on the TV. It didn't feel as rushed, and they have apparently (I hope) realized we don't need the on screen text for the MacGyverisms. I think I only saw it once this week?

I still HATE Bozer - he really has to go!!!! Pointless, and more annoying than even the guest star from hell.

I did like the MacGyverisms more, although the credit card for a sucking chest wound has been used in other stuff. Using the car's washer pump to suck blood was a bit EWWWW, but kinda cool. I liked it in a garish way. Maybe the Supernatural fan in me coming out lol.

I liked how he kind of had RDA's "bag for the things I find along the way." And how it had "Mission City" on it as a shoutout to our man's hometown. I really did have to smile when Lucas did the RDA punch/hurt hand deal as well. It shouldn't make me grin like a kid again, but it did.

I felt Lucas was more the "main man" this week even though the team were there, and that HAS to be the way it goes. The plot was silly again, but I don't mind that.

And I definitely now think they were going to ask RDA to be his dad. In a way, I'm sad he didn't do it now. A little on the set input from the original could have worked wonders, methinks.

So, overall, it was way better than last week for me, but everyone has their own opinion, of course. I guess this means I will have to try and watch again next week now!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 11:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (MacsJeep @ 9 October 2016 - 06:12 AM)
And I definitely now think they were going to ask RDA to be his dad.

Definitely. I finally watched this episode, and it seems really obvious to me that they were planning to bring in RDA as Mac's dad.

Now I wonder who they'll cast instead. Michael Des Barres, perhaps? haha. (I have to admit, I'd kind of love that, even though it would be bizarre.)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
shadowrider
Posted: 8 October 2016 - 06:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Agree that this episode was way better than the previous ones. It was camp fun, and at times felt like a camp 80s tv-show (don't know if this was intentional).

Pros:
the "gross" Macguyverisms were such twisted fun.
Jack is hilarious. As a side note, he should be wearing total black all the time.
I liked the annoying kid, he had me in stitches.

Cons:
the black kid bits, especially Mac playing the monster, were embarassing.
I also find the computer girl a bit annoying.
Mac's voiceover delivery needs to be much impoved and lose the smug attitude.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 12:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Just finished watching this episode online.

My only real gripe is with the MacGyverisms being done too fast. They're supposed to be the magic of the show; what sets it apart from all the other action shows, but they're done so fast you hardly even have time to register what's happening and they're gone.

I will admit I'm having difficulty watching this as MacGyver though. Just because there's too many differences. It really doesn't feel like MacGyver in any way shape or form and there's certainly no magic to it. It's just another TV show. I thought that might have been because there's been other shows which siphon off aspects of MacGyver over the years, but I still feel the magic when watching the original on DVD so I'm still trying ot pinpoint what it is that isn't working - but something is definitely off.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
shadowrider
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 12:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

When Mac is making a makeshift syringe out of a ballpoint pen, why does he burn the plastic grip part?
And notice that right after, when he's squirting the syringe, that part is not burnt any more.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
manueloooord
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 03:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

The episode was set in Malaysia for almost the whole time, right? The only thing that really bugged me in this episode is that the cars have their steering wheels on the left side of the car, just like how cars are in America and here in the Philippines. But, if I remember correctly based on what I know, cars in Malaysia have their steering wheels on the right side of the vehicle.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 04:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 9 October 2016 - 08:06 PM)

My only real gripe is with the MacGyverisms being done too fast. They're supposed to be the magic of the show; what sets it apart from all the other action shows, but they're done so fast you hardly even have time to register what's happening and they're gone.

I will admit I'm having difficulty watching this as MacGyver though. Just because there's too many differences. It really doesn't feel like MacGyver in any way shape or form and there's certainly no magic to it. It's just another TV show. I thought that might have been because there's been other shows which siphon off aspects of MacGyver over the years, but I still feel the magic when watching the original on DVD so I'm still trying ot pinpoint what it is that isn't working - but something is definitely off.

That's still an issue for me too. There is no "magic" and to be honest, I don't think there ever will be. That feeling is lost on modern TV. I have given in to the fact that I am "pretending" this is just another show, and on that basis it was okay this week.

Put it this way - in thirty years time, if I'm still around, I won't be writing a VS for the new version! It just would never inspire me to write like the original does.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Miasma
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 04:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 9 October 2016 - 08:06 PM)

I think the music gave the original something that this show is lacking. I'm not talking about the theme song, since that's kind of a separate thing, I'm talking about the music during the episodes. The original had certain themes that were used for specific situations. When he'd start doing a MacGyverism, for example, there were specific themes for that (it changed a bit from season to season, but it was always distinct.) When he was chasing someone (or being chased), there were other themes. Etc. It gave the show some personality. Remember how in the western episodes, they were able to take those classic themes and play with them to give them a "western" flavor? Things like that give a show personality. They couldn't do that with this reboot because there's no memorable music being used.

I'm not saying this reboot needs to have the SAME music themes as the original, but the use of more thematic music would help. Instead, we get a lot of very generic, unmemorable cues, along with the occasional rock song. And that makes the show itself feel generic and unmemorable.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 05:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Yes, the old vs new is analogous to symphony vs piped in elevator music, in this case. I would say most kids who grew up in and embraced the video game industry wouldn't notice these degradation(s), at all. But it's glaring for those of us who watched the original and the meticulous planning and care that went into the peripheral sensory aspects of the production. The little (relatively) subliminal technicalities are what it give it distinction, a class of it's own. This is MacGyver but with very weak, cheap, & uninspired supportive tissue.

Miasma
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 05:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 10 October 2016 - 01:14 AM)
Yes, the old vs new is analogous to symphony vs piped in elevator music, in this case. I would say most kids who grew up in and embraced the video game industry wouldn't notice these degradation(s), at all.

Then again, many video games today actually DO use real orchestras for their soundtracks (unlike in the 80s, when that wasn't an option), which is perhaps what makes the music in MacGyver seem even more noticeably cheap. Also, shows like "Lost" used an orchestral soundtrack, and had distinct themes for each character, situation, etc. And obviously "Game Of Thrones" has a very memorable, impressive soundtrack. So the standard has been raised, but the rebooted MacGyver went backwards. Of course, I understand that "Game Of Thrones" has a much higher budget than MacGyver, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. But even if they couldn't use a real orchestra, it's still possible to create memorable themes with synths. Plenty of shows and movies do it. (For example, I recently watched "Eddie The Eagle," and it had a synth soundtrack that could at first seem cheesy, but it actually worked amazingly well at setting the tone and sticking in your head.)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsJeep
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 06:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

The background music on the new MacGyver just mostly annoys me. It's just random, and very ill-fitting to the show. It's like the Wilt character, it just doesn't belong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver12186
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 07:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-rat...day-oct-7-2016/
It dropped a bit more so I'm a little nervous about this

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
themacgyverproject
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 08:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet

I agree with all your music points. My litmus test is, would you listen to a CD of it at home or in the car? The original MacGyver could have filled 5 CDs of amazing background music that I would have listened to all the time. So far on the reboot it's just generic filler with little melody and indistinguishable from any other action show.

Joe SAKic
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 09:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

No, you wouldn't spend a dime on it. Here's a great article about music's emotional influence in film.

Music & Emotion.

Macgyver1985
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 09:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I haven't seen this episode yet, however, given the ratings and reviews. I can assume it was better than the previous episodes.

I am deeply saddened that the series hasn't premiered in South Africa. Moreover, I am uncertain if I'll have the opportunity to watch this series from the beginning to the end, due to my stressful and busy schedule. I am grateful for the amount of feedback given on this forum; this keeps me well-informed regarding each and every episode! biggrin.gif

denizen
Posted: 9 October 2016 - 08:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

Watching episode 3 i found myself doing something i haven't actually noticed before. I am expressionless.

I am just not feeling this show. They are trying to be funny, they are trying to put MacGyverisms to the extreme, they are trying to make everything feel natural. I just don't feel it. Don't know why.

Again, 3rd episode that just was meh for me.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
angus20
Posted: 10 October 2016 - 10:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:all

I'm on the same page, this time i fell asleep (well I might be too busy lately) but the show lacks of something that I can't describe, I know that the actors are doing their best as well as the producers but it just ...... Regarding the episode there were some unbelievable things going on outside the Macgyverisms, if anyone noticed how many times the sniper failed from such a close distance, but he had a clean shot on the "guess star" who can't die by the way, also sometimes they use a radio to communicate, but sometimes we just can't see it and i had the impression they were using a small device-

It's kind of strange the way they are managing the background story, just like the fact the Lucas always refers -> "just like my grandfather used to.." but then, there was a discussion regarding his father, so not sure this seems to be a different version of Mac in a different universe, similar to the Spider Man comics.

huh.gif

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll