House:  ---

user posted image

003 - The Thief of Budapest

Airdate: 13 October 1985
Writers: Joe Viola
Director: John Patterson
Opening Gambit Writers: Terry Nation & Stephen Downing
Opening Gambit Director: Lee H. Katzin

Guest Cast: Michael Constantine as Jan Messic, Bruce Abbott as Kossov, Kelly McClain as Yanna, Sue Kiel as Reena.

Opening Gambit: Pegasus
MacGyver retrieves a stolen horse and gets picked up, literally, by a helicopter.

In Budapest, MacGyver races against KGB agents to find a young gypsy girl who has stolen a watch containing secret information from a Russian double agent.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
victorinox
Posted on 5 November 2006 - 05:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:almost all of them
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

this episode is one of my absolute favourites.

"You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next, including you." --- Murdoc

"His name is MacGyver. He can fix anything. He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape." --- Pete

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 01:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

votes from 4 Oct 2006

Poor [ 1 ] [8.33%]
Average [ 2 ] [16.67%]
OK [ 2 ] [16.67%]
Good [ 5 ] [41.67%]
Excellent [ 2 ] [16.67%]
Total Votes: 12

archived comments

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 12 2004 @ 09:45 PM )
First bad episode of the season and of the series. I just don't know why but I didn't like it. I still don't. Maybe it was the little girl with an irritating voice, I don't know. I just don't like it. The entire episode!! It had a weak climax. The ending was just stolen and I do really mean stolen from the movie The Italian Job which I didn't like either. This episode only gets 2 stars from. The other one we discussed the Pilot gets 5 stars, The Golden Triangle 4 stars and The Gauntlet 3 stars.

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 12 2004 @ 09:47 PM)
I really like the start of this episode, its very entertaining. And has that great spy / secret agent feel to it.

The scene with the gypsy girl stealing Macs SAK and giving him the gypsy prayer was great.

I also loved the scene in the pub, the way Mac watched the guy gulp the flaming drink. LOL

I think it’s a bit of a pity that they turned the episode into a take off of the Italian job, but al in all its still entertaining.

QUOTE (MacGyver Gal Sep 13 2004 @ 03:18 AM)
The beginning was good with Mac and the horse. 

But I didn't care for the rest. I thought Mac was a little too rough on that little girl...grabbing her arm and shaking her (as I recall). 

But then he helped her and her family. 

The car chase was lame and boring. 

The only thing I liked was Mac eating the ice cream cone. Yummy. 

QUOTE (sonyab Sep 13 2004 @ 05:32 AM)
Gee Macgyvergal you stole my words of what I wanted to say..  This was a great episode except for Mac grabbing the little girl's arms but he didn't shake her it looked like that was what he was going to do. You don't grab a little girl's arms like that. She looked like she was about 11 or 12. Yes she did steal something from him but what he did was wrong..

That gypsy lady kissed Mac in order for her to trust him I didn't like that either.. I liked the ice cream scene mmmm...  I saw the movie the italian job not the original the remake and the remake was really good.. I never saw the original. anyway the movie was awesome and this episode was great! The car chase was funny. I liked the end where he was with the little girl.. He picked her up awwww. 

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 13 2004 @ 09:08 AM )
So how do you grab someone to stop them from getting away??

QUOTE (MacGyver Gal Sep 13 2004 @ 09:20 AM)
I don't know...but it just seemed "un-Mac-like".

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 13 2004 @ 09:30 AM)
I would've done it too, grabbing her with the arms. Shaking her no way!!! But if someone takes off with my knife... Or maybe he grabbed her arms because he wasn't in the mood for jokes certainly not after he saw his friend get killed.

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 13 2004 @ 09:42 AM)
He had to stop her some way.

Could have grabbed by the hair!

Should have grabbed her by the hair!

Thieving little witch! LOL

QUOTE (sonyab Sep 13 2004 @ 09:43 AM)
Hmm well like he did in the beginning grab her arm which wasn't that bad. Or talk to her firmly.. Like what macgyvergal said it's un mac like..

QUOTE ( MacGyver Gal Sep 13 2004 @ 09:53 AM)
It's been a long time since I've seen that scene...so I'm trying to comment from memory.

If she had been a boy, I wouldn't be so critical.

But, she was just a little girl - thief though she was. I still think that he was kinda rough with her.

But a few moments later, he was nice to her...comforting her when her brothers were taken away.

Maybe it was out of frustration or maybe, since this was an early ep, his character wasn't fully defined.

P.S. I just found the tape and watched that scene.

First, he yanks her by the arm up from the garbage can. Then, he holds her arm very firmly until she coughs up his  . Then, he shakes her by the shoulders.

I still think it was very “un-Mac-like”.

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 13 2004 @ 10:14 AM)
I think it fits with the story line though.

Mac had just seen a good friend of his killed for the information held in the watch, so he knew how important that information was.

The girl had already stolen Macs SAK…twice! And now had taken the watch and was deliberately trying to get away from Mac.

I think Mac was more than justified in grabbing her the way he did. Theft is theft, no matter how you try to justify it or twist it around. Its braking the law.

And to make things worse she takes things and then sells them off to get money….. People go to jail for that in this country!

I laughed when her brother and father get thrown in jail and she says.. “they’ve done nothing wrong” HELLO!! If they steal things and sell them off like she does, then, they have done something wrong!

And then Mac stars wolfing on about some people don’t like free people AAARRRRRHHHHHhhhhhhh!!!

THEY’RE THEIVES!!! THEY SHOULD BE IN JAIL DAM IT!!!!!!!!!

Gimmy that dam paper bag!!!!!!!!!!

**starts hyper-ventilating into bag**

QUOTE ( MacGyver Gal Sep 13 2004 @ 10:25 AM)
Yes...they were all thieves.

But she was still a minor and, technically, not held responsible for her actions.

They probably steal to survive. Unfortunately, there are places in the world that are like that.

I don't mean to change eps, but in The Runners, Jenny stole money from Mac to give to her pimp.

I think that was a lot worse than this little girl stealing his  to buy food.

But, in both cases, Mac still helped these "thieves". Right???

QUOTE (Macsrose Sep 13 2004 @ 08:10 PM)
Gee, I know I'm going against the grain, but I kinda' Liked this episode. I didn't like the car-chase tho... But I enjoyed the rest of the episode. I think Mac was a little rough with the girl, but not really abusive. She looked pretty young tho...

MacGyver Gal, I loved the Ice Cream scene as well...  Yummy!

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 14 2004 @ 02:35 AM)
I stay with my opinion and it seems that Rock agrees with me. Theft is theft. Mac was firm and fair. Stealing his SAK is a big no-no and stealing something else he was supposed to pick up is worse. This man works for the government and if his assignment can't be fulfilled due a young girl, then I can understand he was so rough on her. Minor or no minor it doesn't matter. Why stealing his SAK if you can steal food to survive. She stole his SAK to sell it for money and use the money to buy food?  If she can steal SAK's then she can steal food too for free. She don't need the SAK then. He wouldn't be so rough on her if they haven't met before or if she didn't try to steal his knife. If she just stole the watch and met each other for the first time in the alley, he would've been alot more gentle with her.

QUOTE ( I am MacGyver Sep 14 2004 @ 02:44 AM)
I think Mac handled the situation very proffessionally. After going through some MP training, that was about the tamest ways of subduing and controlling the situation. There are alot more harmful ways of doing it. So I give Mac his props for handling the situation in a balanced way.

QUOTE (MacGyver Sep 14 2004 @ 11:03 AM)
As with all MacGyver episodes, I loved this episode! 

The car chase was fun and MacGyver had some really cool MacGyverisms in the episode. (Especially the bit where he messes up the traffic lights.)

The opening gambit was another classic too, where he rescues the horse.

I can't say that I agree with the girls on here. I've never seen anything rough about how MacGyver handles Yanna in the episode.

I mean, Mac just saw one of his best friends get killed and Yanna stole something not only precious to him (his SAK), but also something that is the vital thing that he needs (the watch). I imagine he'd be quite upset after she does it twice!
How else was he supposed to handle it?
He had to get her attention and had to make sure she wouldn't escape.

It was another good episode, all in all.

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 15 2004 @ 01:31 PM)
I wander if that saddle Mac used on the horse at the start was a special one he had for the job, knowing that he was gonna be air-lifted or if it was just a normal one.

I know they used a special one for the scene, but wander if the storyline had it as a special one or if it was ment to be just a normal saddle.

I always htough it was a normal one, but know thinking about it, if Mac went in knowing he was gonna be air-lifted theres no reason why they wouldn't use a special one for the job, espicially if the horse was so valuable.

QUOTE (thyla Sep 16 2004 @ 09:54 AM)

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Sep 12 2004, 09:35 PM)
First bad episode of the season and of the series. I just don't know why but I didn't like it. I still don't. Maybe it was the little girl with an irritating voice, I don't know.

The little girl had that irritating voice 'cause it was dubbed over.

Btw. the part of this episode (ie the carchase) that was "lifted" from the Italian Job was actually filmed in Italy. The first couple of episodes they tried to make the series look like they had a bigger budget than they actually had

Going back to the Mac grabbing Yanna topic. That was quite unrealistic. She would have never been working alone. In real life her whole family would have been over Mac like flies on dung in about two seconds flat. But that's okay, it's only television.

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 16 2004 @ 10:30 AM)
how could you tell it was dubbed?

They may have had to do ADR(looping) on it because her voice may not have been strong enough to be picke dup by the on-set microphones properly, so they "looped" it back in the studio to bring it up to the same level as the adult acters voices. Back in the 80s they didn' have the same level of expertise that they have now.

(ADR or "looping" is the process of re-recording an actors voice in the studio because of bad recordings on set. In the old days they used an endless loop of tape (in a cartridge) which played continuously through to the headphones of the actor to copy the recorded lines to the exact same timing as the loop they where listening to.

The modern version is called ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement) and uses computers to replace the original recording with a fresh studio recording. Its much easier because the actor doesn’t need to worry about the timing of the words. They just read it and then the ADR operator can copy and paste each word to replace the original recording.)

QUOTE (thlayli87 Apr 5 2006 @ 06:10 AM)
Voted poor. One of my least favorites. I thought the little girl was really annoying. I also thought the car chase scene was really silly and too drawn out.

QUOTE (MacsChick Apr 6 2006 @ 02:33 PM)
I didn't mind the car chase scene. MacGyver does The Italian Job! Cool!  I love the opening with the sunglasses and the ice cream (don't we all, girls?  ). When Yanna asks him what's going to happen to her family, the look in his eyes is so sweet and sympathetic. This is the episode where Reena seduces him, too, kissing him as a form of "lie detection." Hmm...wonder if it works! I wish I could try it! 

The bar fight scene was hilarious! It reminded me of something like Indiana Jones meets Star Wars meets MacGyver!  The look on his face when that guy drinks the flaming alcohol--priceless!  Using the stuff behind the bar to create flames and distract the bad guys was a nice touch, too--fun with chemistry! All his facial expressions and reactions in this scene are funny and cute, especially when he's about to get hit before Reena stops the guy. You can see he really looks like, "oh, man!"

The first time he ever said, "C'mere" was in this episode, I think. He says that as Jack O'Neill, and it charms me just as much when he says it as MacGyver. 

QUOTE (Lothithil Aug 26 2006 @ 05:50 AM)
Good ep! Loved the prison break, the subtle hint that Mac is like a gypsy himself, the dynamic between him and little Yanna... and between him and Reena, for that matter! LOL!

The footage from 'The Italian Job' made me ROTFL! What a fun episode!

QUOTE (MacGirl Aug 27 2006 @ 11:52 AM)
Can't believe I never commented on this one. It's one of my favorites from S1.

Little Yanna was so funny for the first part of it, and it was fun to watch her and Mac go around and around about the watch. Then her family gets rounded up, and suddenly for Mac, the original job turns into something else. He was so sweet with her at that point, the first time in the series that we see him comforting someone.

His story about "Mom's chili" as he was cooking up his bomb was great. Then him helping Yanna's family escape from the prison camp... priceless!  Loved the car chase, too, especially Mac bollixing up the traffic light. I laughed at that whole sequence. The police were so slow and incompetent, it was hilarious. Also loved Mac and Yanna taping the two radios together and sending them up on the bunch of balloons. Got a kick out of Reena, too. She was funny, especially when Mac says to her, "Well, I'll be honest with you," and she says, "Never say that to a gypsy. It makes us nervous!" 

The ending was great, with Yanna's family safely across the border, and Mac having gotten what he needed. The final scene, with the two of them hugging, was just too cute. Great fun, this ep!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 05:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity

I just voted OK...This was never one of my favorites and it's one of the ones I watch the least. I'm not sure overall why...I hated the whole cheesy car chase thing...I almost never like car chases regardless of the show. I did like the opening gambit, though. *shrugs* biggrin.gif

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 9 November 2006 - 02:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I vote ok for this episode. It would have got a better score if I hadn’t been so familiar with the Italian Job. I love Mini’s (you can have GREAT fun in those little cars! wink.gif tongue.gif ) and thought the chase scene was great but it was just like I was watching MacGyver and someone kept changing the channel to “the Italian job!” I kept expecting to hear the tune “Self Preservation Society” (“Get A Bloomin' Move On” or what ever you want to call it!) through it. If you take away the Italian Job the episode was ok. It’s great that MacGyver is willing to give peple a chance but I bet America was thrilled when MacGyver arranged for a buch of pickpokets to come live there!

This puzzles me-

- Two first-season episodes, the pilot and "Thief of Budapest," won awards at the Second Annual Stuntman Awards for Best High Work and Best Specialty Stunt, respectively.

I personally would have loved to give MacGyver loads of awards but how can the Thief of Budapest win an award for “best Speciality stunt”? The most spectacular stunts were those with the minis that were lifted right out of the Italian job! blink.gif I can’t remember any others that it could be. I might be missing something obvious. unsure.gif Unless they mean the gambit where they pluck up a galloping horse with a helicopter. I’d imagine that would take some doing!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
abacab
Posted on 5 July 2007 - 05:28 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Traveller

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode: The Invisible Killer
Vehicle: Truck

The first truly bad episode of the series, "Thief of Budapest" is wrought with failure points: lousy performances, an idiotic story, poor writing and far too much stock footage. In fact, the opening gambit is about a hundred times better than the episode. I'll discuss this form here: the gambit is a great idea if you've got a crappy story as your main point, because then less time is spent on it. But if the episode is good, then you get a compacted, shorter episode, and that can be disappointing. It's even more disappointing when, in the case of episodes like this and its immediate predecessor, the gambit is better in every way than the episode itself, and so you get what could be a good episode compacted into nothing and a lousy episode as the main. But I digress.

"Thief of Budapest" has, as the least of its problems, poor performances by all of the leads. The two villains are generic and bland, with no notable moments to separate them from any other series villains. The gypsies are even worse, particularly in the case of Kelly McLain as Jana. None of them can quite get the accent right, and have no character depth in the performances. The story is poor, as is the script: lots of badly written dialogue, cheesy situations and... it's so bad I can't begin to describe it. But I can describe the stock footage. The heavy use of car chase scenes from "The Italian Job", a movie I happen to like, is extremely idiotic. I suppose this was the cost-saver episode (god knows why this one, it's only three episodes in!) but it adds to the lousy sense of realism in the episode, and the voiceovers and insert scenes simply add to the cheese. If you didn't know it was stock, you might find it a little strange, but if you do, it ruins the last fifteen or so minutes of the entire episode. Bad. Avoid this one if you can.

My rating: 1/10

"I didn't think you'd be one to go for whipped bean curd." -Mac

PM                                                                     
Posted on 22 July 2007 - 03:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: basic

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I thought this was one of the better episodes for me. I love the final scene between MacGyver and the little girl when she tries to give Mac his SAK back.
Yes, some of the effects could have been better. but it is not unusal for a series to take a few episodes to find its legs so to speak.

Shannon

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 22 July 2007 - 06:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

"Thief of Budapest" was a great episode! The opening gambit with the horse was particularly cool- love the scene where MacGyver knocks the guy off his horse- iconic scene used in the opening credits!
And the rest of the episode was a lot of fun with MacGyver breaking Yanna and her family out and messing with the traffic signals. And the car chase was fun! (I realize it uses footage from "The Italian Job", but never having seen the movie, I don't really care. Even if I had seen the movie, I still don't think it'd be that big of a deal.) Overall it was a fun episode to watch, especially with the race for the border. That kind of stuff is always great to see MacGyver pull off. And a good quote comes from this episode too- "Some people are scared of anybody who runs free."- MacGyver
duct.gif sak.gif

PM                                                                     
victorinox
Posted on 23 July 2007 - 01:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:almost all of them

great episode. one of my favourites. and i love the quote too:
Some people are scared of anybody who runs free.

"You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next, including you." --- Murdoc

"His name is MacGyver. He can fix anything. He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape." --- Pete

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Stupid Little Genius
Posted on 23 July 2007 - 02:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Pink SAK

Favorites
Episode:Lesson in Evil, Widow Maker
Jacket:  Black leather

I vote Good! i really like this episode^^

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

GO BUNNY!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN                                                                     
j12752
Posted on 23 July 2007 - 03:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

"Good" vote here too. Loved the ice cream eating, the little girl outsmarting Mac in clipping that watch, the part with Rena and her "lie detector"

AbCarter
Posted on 24 July 2007 - 01:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

After the opening credits this episode just never grabbed my attention, except for a few things that annoyed me. I must admit though that I've only watched this episode with half an eye. Mac's spy friend was nervously holding a newspaper which I recognized as being Dutch rather than Hungarian, so when all the business with the girl started to annoy me I went onto the internet to look for a site where I could report that little glitch.

I wanted to smack Mac upside the head when he said some people are afraid of anyone that runs free. Sure, that is true. But could the free running people at least have some consideration for the not free running people and not steal their stuff? I think people would be less afraid of free running people if the free running people didn't draw attention to themselves in a negative way. Or maybe that's just me. Some people will hate anything that isn't exactly like themselves.

I wasn't so much bothered by the Italian Job footage as I was by the fact that they used it. That probably needs some explanation: use of the footage was more or less required after thinking of the plan of escaping by messing up Budapest traffic. Fair enough that you use stock footage for that, but was the plan necessary? I mean, in the end they just drove across the border to Austria. Couldn't they have gone to that border crossing and quietly crossed into Austria? And what the heck was with that border anyway? I've seen more impressive border crossings between the Netherlands and Belgium; this was a border between a free country and one behind the iron curtain. If it was that easy to cross into Austria why were there still people living in Hungary?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 25 July 2007 - 01:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---

Since we're already ranting, I always wondered that Mac has that much influence that it just takes one call from him and then they all are allowed to come to America.

Or do I have that one wrong and it was much easier back then than it is nowadays?

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
Tygr
Posted on 28 July 2007 - 10:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Easy Target
House:  Loft

They need to bring back the Russian agent in a revenge episode, because they out a second plot beginning right there. ("I'll remember him.") For example, In a "Prisoner of Conscience-like episode, except that he gets captured.

'Tis unwise to wake the Tygr.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." - Psalms 23:4

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 28 July 2007 - 10:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (Tygr @ 29 July 2007 - 01:54 AM)
They need to bring back the Russian agent in a revenge episode, because they out a second plot beginning right there. ("I'll remember him.") For example, In a "Prisoner of Conscience-like episode, except that he gets captured.

They did bring him back for a revenge episode... have you seen 'Lost Love' yet? (first and second episodes of Season 3)

Major Nicoli Kosoff (Lisa's 'husband') was the same guy who chased Mac through Budapest. They used a different actor, but it was the same character.

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverluver
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 01:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widomaker

I thought that was a good one. I really liked where Mac and the Girl start bonding when she picked his pocket laugh.gif .

An old climber's saying: "It's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop."
Old Minnesota wisdom: "If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable."
"I remember that age when it was cool to be bad, dumb age."

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Tygr
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 01:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 29 July 2007 - 07:24 PM)

They did bring him back for a revenge episode... have you seen 'Lost Love' yet? (first and second episodes of Season 3)

Major Nicoli Kosoff (Lisa's 'husband') was the same guy who chased Mac through Budapest. They used a different actor, but it was the same character.

Oh! Kewl! No, I haven't bought Season 3 yet. (The $#%! Best Buy is always out of that one!user posted image)

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." - Psalms 23:4

Lothithil
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 01:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Tygr @ 29 July 2007 - 04:59 PM)
Oh! Kewl! No, I haven't bought Season 3 yet. (The $#%! Best Buy is always out of that one!user posted image)

ohmy.gif Oh! I hope that I didn't spoil anything for you! It's a great episode. wink.gif

Tygr
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 02:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 30 July 2007 - 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Tygr @ 29 July 2007 - 04:59 PM)

ohmy.gif Oh! I hope that I didn't spoil anything for you! It's a great episode. wink.gif

Nah. I generally prefer spoilers, (Except on certain things.) and you didn't really spoil anything.

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 03:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 29 July 2007 - 07:24 PM)

AND they spelt his name differently.

Am I correct in thinking there where only ever 3 bad characters who came back for a second shot at MacGyver?

Murdoc, Deborah and Kosoff?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 29 July 2007 - 03:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Don't forget Dr. Zito!
And Ralphie from 'The Eraser' and 'Back from the Dead'.

Should we count Dent? He was sorta bad in his first appearance, then reformed in 'High Control' and 'Split Decision'.

hmm.bmp

thyla
Posted on 1 August 2007 - 06:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (AbCarter @ 24 July 2007 - 05:06 AM)

I wasn't so much bothered by the Italian Job footage as I was by the fact that they used it. That probably needs some explanation: use of the footage was more or less required after thinking of the plan of escaping by messing up Budapest traffic. Fair enough that you use stock footage for that, but was the plan necessary? I mean, in the end they just drove across the border to Austria. Couldn't they have gone to that border crossing and quietly crossed into Austria? And what the heck was with that border anyway? I've seen more impressive border crossings between the Netherlands and Belgium; this was a border between a free country and one behind the iron curtain. If it was that easy to cross into Austria why were there still people living in Hungary?

Not to mention that the border is at least 2 hrs from downtown Budapest laugh.gif tongue.gif Back in those days no Autobahn either.

As far as the border, remember they had the same set up in the Czechoslovakia episode and the one in Eastern Germany. It's a miracle there is anyone left in Eastern Europe laugh.gif

"I hardly even know this young lady!"
-MacGyver, Squeeze Play

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
metrof
Posted on 11 August 2007 - 04:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Yes, very good episode in Budapest. I had invite the Budapest.

Beachbead
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 11:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Loved this one to hide all the names in one little watch.

elavia
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 11:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet

Homage episode to Italian Job. Too much stock footage. Good diversions in the detention camp. Maybe lack of a message about steal people their objects.

SMeeceymouse
Posted on 25 April 2009 - 02:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

My husband and I had a blast watching the chase scene with the minis. Those must be tough little cars to go through all they went through. I did like when Mac gave the little girl his SAK and she gave him his medalon. sak.gif sak.gif sak.gif sak.gif

PM                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 25 April 2009 - 03:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I loved that part as well, it shows MacGyver is all heart.

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 16 September 2009 - 08:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Ratty)
I personally would have loved to give MacGyver loads of awards but how can the Thief of Budapest win an award for “best Speciality stunt”? The most spectacular stunts were those with the minis that were lifted right out of the Italian job! blink.gif I can’t remember any others that it could be. I might be missing something obvious. unsure.gif Unless they mean the gambit where they pluck up a galloping horse with a helicopter. I’d imagine that would take some doing!

yep it was the horse lift. That won the Best Specialty Stunt award and the parachute jump at the end of the Pilot episodes opening gambit won the Best High Work Award.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dennman
Posted on 16 March 2010 - 04:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Passages.

Probably my favorite episode......though it's really hard to pick one fave. Many great scenes, and I love the fight in the bar. Ricky Dean is at his coolest.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SakLumberjack
Posted on 4 April 2010 - 07:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: I have 2

Favorites
Episode:

By the way, I live in Coventry, and the chase scenes in the sewer were filmed in our city for The Italian Job (original version) in an area called Stoke Aldermoor when the city was rebuilding after the war.

Paramount paid the city council 1,000 pounds for letting them shoot the film there (this was pre-decimalisation when 1,000 quid was a lot of money).

We've got the British Road Transport Museum here, and one of the exhibits is one of the type of Mini from the film in a mock-up of the sewer set. They've got a sound system set up on it that plays "Self-Preservation Society" from the OST.

Some days, you wonder why you got out of bed...
Watching and enjoying Season 7 on Region 2 DVD!

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll