DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I can't believe I found this one! laugh.gif Anyway, it's long, so I'll break it up in a few posts...so be patient. I thought the ad was certainly a moment in MacGyver history, so I'm reposting the topic. It also led to discussion on RDA making a MacGyver comeback, or not...thus the new subtitle. I'm gonna try to cut what I can to tighten the topic up a bit for length! laugh.gif

It was started by MacNymph on February 2, 2006.

What follows is basically a transcript of the commercial... Don't read if you want to be surprised during first airing!!!

http://www.macgyveronline.com/pages/fv4.html

http://www.mastercardintl.com/cgi-bin/newsroom.cgi?id=1151

<<snip>>

MasterCard Unveils Ad During the Super Bowl Featuring Actor Richard
Dean Anderson

Latest "Priceless" Spot Features "MacGyver," Highlights Debit
MasterCard

Purchase, NY, January 30, 2006 - MasterCard International today
unveiled plans to air its latest "Priceless" television execution
during the broadcast of Super Bowl XL on February 5, on ABC Sports.
The 30-second spot features actor Richard Dean Anderson, who starred
as the lead character in the popular 1980s series "MacGyver," and
focuses on the benefits of Debit MasterCard®. It will air during the
game's fourth quarter.

Entitled "MacGyver," the ad finds Anderson's character in typical
fashion: held hostage in a remote warehouse with time running out on
a self-destructing bomb. Cleverly, MacGyver uses the purchases he had
made with his Debit MasterCard card – everyday items at a convenience
store – to free himself and escape to safety.

"While I've had offers to bring the MacGyver character back to life,
MasterCard had the sense of humor I felt was needed to bring the
character back," said Anderson. "The commercial really speaks to how
oftentimes everyday items are truly 'priceless' and can serve as life
savers."

At the end of the spot, consumers are encouraged to visit
www.priceless.com, a new website containing behind-the-scenes footage
and interviews from the filming of the spot.

"Consumers want to be able to purchase the everyday items they need
in a way that is easy, quick and convenient," said Amy Fuller, group
head, Americas marketing for MasterCard International. "Because the
MacGyver character continues to have a presence in today's pop
culture, we believe featuring him in a Super Bowl ad further
articulates the ease and convenience of Debit MasterCard® in a manner
that truly resonates with the millions of TV viewers who tune-in to
the game each year."

The spot, which will go into general brand rotation beginning March
6, consists of the following sequence of events:

As a bomb is ticking, MacGyver struggles to free himself from a chair
to which he is bound utilizing "Little Tree" air freshener.

Voice over: air freshener: $1.29 on Debit MasterCard

In the nick of time, MacGyver breaks free of the ropes and breaks
through a window, only to realize he is dangerously high from jumping
to safety. He notices a wire leading to the ground and quickly
realizes he has a tube sock in his pocket, which he utilizes as a
handle.

Voice over: tube sock: $4

Sliding to safety, MacGyver runs to a broken down truck, which he
jump starts – employing a paper clip, ballpoint pen, rubber band,
tweezers, nasal spray and turkey baster – and then drives away,
narrowly avoiding an explosion caused by the bomb.

Voice over: little things that get you through the day: priceless

The spot culminates with MasterCard's traditional voiceover, "There
are some things money can't buy…for everyday stuff there's Debit
MasterCard," and completes with MacGyver in a convenience store
purchasing an array of off-the-cuff items, awkwardly avoiding the
questioning looks of the cashier.

<<SNIP>>

And there you have it sports fans.

http://www.superbowl-ads.com/2006/index.html

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 9 November 2006 - 05:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Posted by: MacsChick Feb 2 2006, 04:52 PM
This is going to be so cool!  I can't wait! 

Posted by: MacNymph Feb 2 2006, 05:29 PM
I just came in to say I'd seen the commercial.

Only I was going to add...

That I think people are going to be sorely disappointed. 

It's trite... not funny and Rick looks like crap. I can't believe he did that commercial. How embarassing. 

Posted by: sonyab Feb 2 2006, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (MacNymph @ Feb 2 2006, 12:29 AM)
That I think people are going to be sorely disappointed. 

Sorry you were disapointed. 

Posted by: MacsChick Feb 2 2006, 05:34 PM
Oh my God! I saw it, too! He looks so cute!  His expressions are too funny, like he's thinking, "oh well, just another day!"  I see he's even wearing the old leather jacket and khaki outfit!

Did they dye his hair for this ad? Sometimes you see him at events and things, and he has the grey hair, and then other times, it's brown. What's the deal? Does anyone know what his real hair color is these days? I was a little disappointed he didn't have the mullet, but hey, he looks great here, too! 

It's funny...I never thought of MacGyver's hair as a mullet until someone pointed it out to me. Weird, huh? I think it's because his looked so good and stylish, and so many others during that time didn't look quite as good... in fact, a lot of people couldn't pull it off because it looked ridiculous on them, hence the much-maligned style it is today. Shame on those people! They gave the mullet a bad name!  But at least MacGyver knew how to wear one well! Then again, that guy wears everything well... 

Posted by: MacsChick Feb 2 2006, 05:39 PM
Hey, I didn't think he looked bad at all! Someone else said it looked like Jack (from Stargate) pulling a MacGyver impersonation, which is a cute way of looking at it, too. I think it's funny and enjoyable, so I know I will like it! It's great! 

Posted by: Amy Feb 3 2006, 01:40 AM
I just watched it too and I don't think he looked bad--just older. He is, after all, 20 years older than when he first did the show. I wasn't disappointed at all--I thought the truck scene especially was so MacGyver--you know, when he's trying one of his MacGyverisms and he's a little surprised that it worked. 

Posted by: MacGirl Feb 3 2006, 06:37 AM

Loved it! I've added it to my archive of videos. I thought he looked very good... older, yes, but hey, we all expected that. The ending was perfect! 

Posted by: MacNymph Feb 3 2006, 07:33 AM
I don’t have a problem with older, I happen to like older. 

What I was referring to was… if anything bothers me more than a person messing with his/her natural appearance, is when it’s done badly… one of the worse dye jobs I’ve ever seen. I am guessing it was a wash out variety. 

I would have much rather seen him with his natural silver hair.  Everybody knows his gone silver, why screw with perfection?

And someone referred to his weight and him looking healthy. A man, especially of his age, being 20-30 pounds overweight is not healthy and certainly something I’m not going to applaud. Having an eight year old daughter… he’d better tighten up and take better care of himself. I’m hoping is that the commercial was filmed sometime after his ankle injury and he was overweight due to being immobile and has since dropped the weight.

Those things… combined with him saying repeatedly he didn’t want to go back to MacGyver but then the quote of it being just right due to the humor… which I found lacking, and throw in the tagline “priceless” in his quote… I just feel like it was all about the money. *shrug* Not that there’s anything wrong with that… just disappointing. To Me. 

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 4 2006, 12:08 PM
It seemed more like a spoof of MacGyver rather than staying true to the charecter to me.

Half the stuff listed wasn't somethng you would carry with you nor was it somethign you would need to do the MacGyverism. So from that point of view I was dissapointed. I guess I was hoping for a true to charecter ad.

AND WHERE WAS THE SAK!!??? He should have been using a sak to cut the ropes

SWISS ARMY KNIFE $28... ROLL OF DUCT TAPE $12.90

Now THATS MacGyver!!

Posted by: Sjaop Feb 4 2006, 11:49 PM
I totally agree with you there, Rock.

Even though the expression on RD's ? Mac's face is quite the same, it didn't give me the old feeling of MacGyver. Which I found was a pity.

Nevertheless, my heart was thrilled to see RD again 

Posted by: Kim_K Feb 5 2006, 04:44 AM
Maybe they should have had the themesong in the background? That would definitivly had made the add more cool. 

Posted by: Jano Feb 5 2006, 09:31 AM
The behind the scenes and interview stuff is now available on:
http://www.priceless.com/film/worldpremiere.html 

Posted by: Sjaop Feb 5 2006, 09:50 AM
It should take you right to the gallery, where you can also see an interview with RD and shots of the stunts etc.

He's still my hero 

Posted by: MacGyver Feb 5 2006, 05:41 PM
Wow! I just saw the commercial online! I'll have to admit- it was probably aimed at the more casual fan of MacGyver- or the average person that just remembers seeing bits of it every now and then in the 80s, and basically makes fun of it by listing situations MacGyver gets out of with absurd random items.
And the stuff used was pretty silly, but it's also true that MacGyver was never above using anything on hand IF it would actually work (and I kinda doubt some of that stuff would really do the job) He definitely should have used his Swiss Army Knife and some duct tape. And the theme song playing in the background would have been seriously cool! 
.....BUT it was still cool seeing Richard Dean Anderson back as MacGyver! It was really nice that he was wearing his classic jacket and he had dyed his hair back brown! Wow! He still looked as young and cool as ever! That commercial was more than enough to convice me he could certainly still pull off a MacGyver movie, if he wanted to. I so wish he would!   

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 6 2006, 03:39 AM
  This was way so cool. He still has it, he can still do it, he's still HIM!!! It tastes so sweet this MacGyver-nostalgia. You see the energy this commercial has. He still looks the same, incredible. This is definitely the moment to make a MacGyver movie or more MacGyver movies.   

More to come...

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 9 November 2006 - 05:10 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 6 2006, 08:56 AM
I have to ask though...

Who the hell carries a tube sock around in their pocket??

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 6 2006, 11:55 AM
But still a very cool comeback. 

I support that 100 %. I hope he tasted it, that it tasted sweet and the MacGyver-bug stung him again, to play some more. 

Posted by: MacNymph Feb 6 2006, 05:06 PM
QUOTE (Teri @ Feb 6 2006, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Feb 5 2006, 02:56 PM)
I have to ask though...

Who the hell carries a tube sock around in their pocket?? 

Someone who forgets to sort and separate when doing the laundry? 

You know what would have added to the crediblity or cleverness of the commercial?

If at the checkout lane... he had put the sock back on his foot. 

Turkey baster and twisters to jump start a semi?  I'm a girl and even I know that's kinda....

Posted by: MacGyver Feb 6 2006, 06:13 PM
I just saw this commercial on a big screen at my neighbor's church. It was AWESOME!!! The pastor, probably just being a casual MacGyver fan, thought it was great! I imagine we'll soon be seeing this one run on the local networks.   

Posted by: thyla Feb 7 2006, 05:15 AM
Interesting comment: " Director Tom K u n t z spent months watching every episode of McGyver to make sure that the commercial would have the look of the show."

Tough job this Tom guy had, eh? 

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 7 2006, 08:21 AM
spent months watching every episode of MacGyver to make sure that the commercial would have the look of the show.

Well he wasn't watching very well then.

Posted by: Tomms247 Feb 7 2006, 09:41 AM
hey that advert rocks

After seeing that advert i can so see a MacGyver movie or 2 coming at some point in the future that would be so cool. The idea just hit's you as soon as you watch it.

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 7 2006, 11:08 AM
Critics! 

Interesting comment: " Director Tom K u n t z spent months watching every episode of McGyver to make sure that the commercial would have the look of the show."

Tough job this Tom guy had, eh? 

Maybe it was. However 139 hours and twice 90 minutes for an ad of 35 seconds. He sure gave the first season feeling back, he succeeded in this.

You know, some of you here I just don't understand!! We're always talking about how wonderful Rick is and that he should come back as MacGyver one day. He IS back even though if it's just for a brief 35 seconds and you're saying you don't like it? I don't understand that. An embarrassing commercial? I do not think so. For me the commercial is a signal that says the time has come to make a movie or more. The man can still do it. 

Posted by: Lothithil Feb 7 2006, 11:42 AM
Rick looked like he was having fun. I think that is what "IT" is all about!

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 7 2006, 11:45 AM
He sure had fun!! Getting back to the role you left about 12 years ago or so. 

Posted by: I Love Penny Parker Feb 7 2006, 01:47 PM
Cool commercial, but it was weird seeing an older fatter MacGyver ... that being said the thing that took away most from the MacGyver character was the short hair ... 

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 7 2006, 02:24 PM
Actually its just occured to me why it was so NOT MacGyver.

He wouldn't have escaped teh building like that.. he would have used a MacGyverism to defuse the bomb!

I guess I just dont like seen my hero and favourate show made a joke of.

Posted by: BeefyBoyGod Feb 7 2006, 02:29 PM
True. He had time to go outside and hotwire a semi(with under a minute to go) but not time to mess with the bomb? I guess they just had to blow something up. heh 

Posted by: Tomms247 Feb 7 2006, 03:18 PM
Nah he's getting older now, he's not as sharp as he use to be.

He just got the hell out of there

He doesnt try to be a hero when he knows he doesnt need to, what has he got to prove? he's already proved himself, he just want's to get out unscaved.

Better get out in a cool action style way than to blow up. The bomb isnt the only ticker he;s worried about i doubt.

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 7 2006, 04:57 PM
Nah he's getting older now, he's not as sharp as he use to be.

He just got the hell out of there

He doesnt try to be a hero when he knows he doesnt need to, what has he got to prove? he's already proved himself, he just want's to get out unscaved.

LOL

Except he doesn't do that stuff to prove anything... its just his nature.. its how he works, what he does.

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 7 2006, 09:13 PM
Well the Wisconsins State Journels Nicole Rogers gave the commercial a grade: A

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/index.p...d=71557&ntpid=2 The MacGyver section is posted below.

< snip >
Mastercard

Product: Debit card.

Details: In another of the "Priceless" ads, one-time TV hero MacGyver is saving the world with everyday products (tube socks, paper clips, etc.) he purchased with his Mastercard. Grade: I can almost hear Patty and Selma Bouvier of "The Simpsons" lighting their post-"MacGyver" cigarettes. A

< ends > 

Posted by: thyla Feb 8 2006, 04:56 AM
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Feb 7 2006, 04:13 AM)
I can almost hear Patty and Selma Bouvier of "The Simpsons" lighting their post-"MacGyver" cigarettes.

LOL! this lady is funny! 

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 8 2006, 05:54 AM
Less then a minute to go, what would you do? Cut ropes, smash chair through a window (never saw him that before but that was cool), slide down with the tube sock (wink wink at Children of Light), hotwire a truck and getting the hell out of there while the place blows up. 
That's what we all would do and not losing time in defusing the bomb. Considering the energy and the speed it was filmed with I thought hmm must be one of Bruckheimer's productions. 

Posted by: -Jules- Feb 8 2006, 06:30 AM
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Feb 7 2006, 11:08 AM)
Critics! 
Maybe it was. However 139 hours and twice 90 minutes for an ad of 35 seconds. He sure gave the first season feeling back, he succeeded in this.

You know, some of you here I just don't understand!! We're always talking about how wonderful Rick is and that he should come back as MacGyver one day. He IS back even though if it's just for a brief 35 seconds and you're saying you don't like it? I don't understand that. An embarrassing commercial? I do not think so. For me the commercial is a signal that says the time has come to make a movie or more. The man can still do it.

Yeah? I think it was more like the offer was put in front of him and he decided it was finally time to make a Mac come back. Kind of saying the character isn't dead and giving a shout out to all the Mac fans that have kind of been left behind and still have fun with it. (poking fun at the cheesier moments the show did have) Anywho! I think it was great!  It was also really good for MasterCard. It's like the perfect commercial for the "priceless" ad. (I wonder when they actually realized this and came up with the idea..)

and as for the hair...  well, that was in the 80's! Times have changed. If Mac was back for real....he would probably have short hiar!  (and seeing Rick w/a wig ((after the Kilborn interview))...just wouldn't work!  ) 

More to come... biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 9 November 2006 - 05:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Here's where we get more into a Mac comback...

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 8 2006, 08:24 AM
If Mac was back for real....he would probably have short hair

Interesting point here.... If they made a MacGyver movie... would it be set back "in the day" with MacGyver as he was in the show, or would it be set in todays world with an older fatter, slower , more fragile MacGyver? 

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 8 2006, 09:24 AM
He wouldn't be like that. Not fatter certainly not. But slower (perhaps a tad but not too much) more fragile (yeah maybe that to) Look at all the other actors; Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone... They're all still in pretty good shape to do intense action scenes. Did you see Gandalf (Ian McKellan) run in Return of the King and he's older then 70???
I think RDA now would be like MacGyver as he was in Lost Treasure of Atlantis, little bit more grey and a bit more stiffer in the back or something. It wouldn't surprise me though that if Mac would pull out a stunt and hurts his back or something, he would grunt more then usual and can make cracking sounds with his back and his head, and also his shoulder making these circle going movements. But then again it happens with growing older.

A movie set back in the day would be nice, but after seeing this commercial, I'd say a movie set in the now wouldn't be so bad either. 

Posted by: Lothithil Feb 8 2006, 09:43 AM
I hope I look that good when I'm that old....

...sheesh! I wish I looked that good now! 

Posted by: Tomms247 Feb 8 2006, 12:48 PM
just as Fred Dryer did 2 Hunter movie's which were very good i might add.

Like Daid Hassolfholf did Knightrider 2000 and is doing a new one.

Like Dukes of Hazzard, Starski and Hutch.

2 new tv movie's of MacGyver would be perfect timing. If it hit the cinima as Dukes of Hazzard and Starski and Hutch did it would be great and theatrical.

But anything would do let's be honest.

Posted by: MacGyver Feb 8 2006, 02:51 PM
I just thought of another one. Erik Estrada and Larry Wilcox both returned for "CHiPs" 99 and it was very enjoyable.

Whether TV-movie or theatrical movie (though RDA's done 2 TV-movies, so I'd really like to see him take MacGyver to the cinema)
it would be great to see MacGyver return in some form. I think the timing's definitely right.

Posted by: sonyab Feb 8 2006, 03:32 PM
QUOTE (Tomms247 @ Feb 7 2006, 07:48 PM)
2 new tv movie's of MacGyver would be perfect timing. If it hit the cinima as Dukes of Hazzard and Starski and Hutch did it would be great and theatrical.

oh no.. The dukes of hazzard movie was awful.. 

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 8 2006, 08:14 PM
http://www.madison.com/tct/entertainment/index.php?ntid=71710&ntpid=0

• Best use of a celebrity:MasterCard's "MacGyver." Richard Dean Anderson spoofs the hero of his old 1980s show, a super spy who would use ordinary objects to defuse bombs, escape prisons, etc. Seeing MacGyver use his credit card to buy the tube socks and turkey basters he'll need to defeat evil was a great TV in-joke.

p.s. Not sure what he means about the "in-joke"?

Posted by: Kim_K Feb 8 2006, 10:03 PM
http://www.priceless.com/film/worldpremiere.html on this page there´s a short videointerview with RDA about his new mastercard - commercial. 

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 9 2006, 04:06 AM
2 new tv movie's of MacGyver would be perfect timing.

No not 2 tv-movies. Theatrical way yes.

An in-joke? I wouldn't call it spoofing he was way to good to call it spoofing. 

Posted by: thyla Feb 9 2006, 07:46 AM
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Feb 7 2006, 03:24 PM)

.... If they made a MacGyver movie... would it be set back "in the day" with MacGyver as he was in the show, or would it be set in todays world with an older fatter, slower , more fragile MacGyver? 

If it would be set in the old days they would have to find someone else to play it. See latest Jack Ryan movie. I am still not sure how they gonna pull off another Indy film with Ford in it (he is a decade older than RDA). 

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 9 2006, 08:46 AM
I am still not sure how they gonna pull off another Indy film with Ford in it (he is a decade older than RDA). 

Faith, my dear, faith.
Harrison Ford just finished or is doing the last scenes of his new actioner Firewall. Latest thing I heard is that he had complains of his co-actor he was to do a fight scene with. He told him to punch him harder but the other actor didn't want to. Harrison Ford seems to be pretty strong for his age. You seen What Lies Beneath, there's a scene he runs of a dock and jumps in the water or Hollywood Homicide? There's an lengthy chase sequence on foot near the end, lot of fighting and running. That movie is only three years old. I'd say Ford is up to the job.
The reason they used another actor to play Jack Ryan is probably I think, to give it a fresher look. Jack Ryan was first played by Alec Baldwin in Crimson Tide.

If it would be set in the old days they would have to find someone else to play it.

But what is the old days? The late 80's or the early 90's? Before 1985 or after 1994. If it's after 1994, I'd say they don't have to bother, Rick just have to grow his hair back then.
I wish I could make this film!!! 

Posted by: MACGYVERISMYDAD Feb 9 2006, 09:23 AM
i have to agree with rock...it seemed as if they were poking fun of the show more than highlighting a classic. the materials he used were not scientifically sound like they were on the show 95 % of the time. it almost seemed like they sped the commercial up to save time by speeding up the macgyverisms. the theme song would have helped greatly. i feel some people who knew of MacGyver maybe even watched a couple eps probably wouldn't have thought "hey this is MacGyver" while watching it. i think the theme song maybe even voice overs could have solved this problem. i am with everyone when they say that its great he did the commercial and it was nice to see him again portraying mac, but i just feel as if the commercial was to sped up like they only had so much money to make it. 

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 9 2006, 09:37 AM
No not 2 tv-movies. Theatrical way yes.

The only problem I have with a theatrical movie is that they tend NOT to use the actors from the show.

And if they brought up to modern day standards, there will be swearing and some kind of nudity in it... so basically the whole "ideal" of MacGyver will be lost.

Which is a shame, because a MacGyver movie would work I think.

The Movie "national treasure" did well in the box office, and that was VERY MacGyverish, so I think the viewing public appreciates intelligent movies.

Maybe they could make it a National Treasure meets Mission Impossible type thing.

Hell I'd go see that even without RDA in it.

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 9 2006, 11:30 AM
The only problem I have with a theatrical movie is that they tend NOT to use the actors from the show.

And if they brought up to modern day standards, there will be swearing and some kind of nudity in it... so basically the whole "ideal" of MacGyver will be lost.

Which is a shame, because a MacGyver movie would work I think.

I'm just so anxious to do this, unfortunately I'm not in film school yet, still in the 12th grade. I swear if I had a chance, my first story I can picture it so well as a movie (of course after a rewrite and combined with the story I'm working on now), ya know, it's still a purpose but if I can achieve this goal, that's another set of sleeves. Darn.
Swearing and some kind of nudity?? Swearing, maybe (damn or *** or crap), but nudity, nah. A movie of MacGyver will never get higher than a PG-13 rating. In PG-13 films swearing and nudity is severly reduced to a minimum.

The Movie "national treasure" did well in the box office, and that was VERY MacGyverish, so I think the viewing public appreciates intelligent movies.

Only saw it once, intend on buying it. I think Bruckheimer's team, can pull off a big budget action/adventure featurette of a MacGyver movie. But the original production team might wanna wake up as well. 

Posted by: Lothithil Feb 9 2006, 12:02 PM
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Feb 8 2006, 01:46 PM)
I wish I could make this film!!! 

Well... if you happen to need a screenwriter.... 

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 9 2006, 01:58 PM
I think Bruckheimer's team, can pull off a big budget action/adventure featurette of a MacGyver movie. But the original production team might wanna wake up as well.

I think they need the original writing to make sure they stay with the original "feel" of MacGyver.. espicially with regards to the MacGyverisms.

But yeah, Bruckheimer would be good to make it. After National Treasure I think he has a feel for the MacGyver type adventure 

Posted by: -Jules- Feb 9 2006, 04:34 PM
Yes, National Treasure was great! It had the similar style. And NO nudity!!  lol
I really doubt RDA would ever want to do another movie anyway. If he ever made it into the cinema, my guess is, it would probably be an SG movie and he'd probably only make an appearence.  And in the rare chance/idea that he did make a Mac movie, it would probably be like the "Young MacGyver" idea. He would be the dad or mentor or whatever and the movie would really star some younger actor doing MacGyverisms. 

Posted by: Amy Feb 10 2006, 01:07 AM
QUOTE  But anything would do let's be honest.

I don't agree with that Tomms! Because it's MacGyver, it has to be done just right or not at all. I hate movie remakes of good series and the movie destroys it.

As far as the commercial goes, I think it was done well, for a commercial, anyway. When you only have 35 seconds, it's kind of natural to compact everything. Also, yeah, it was a little tongue in cheek, especially with some of the items Mac used (an air freshener as a saw?  I don't think so), but you have to consider that this is a commercial in a whole series of commercials that are mostly tongue in cheek humor. You have to give Mastercard credit--they could have gone off and found some young guy to do the commercial but they pursued RDA and he did it. For what it was I was happy with it. 

Still more...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted: 9 November 2006 - 05:27 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 10 2006, 05:05 AM
Well... if you happen to need a screenwriter.... 

Thanks but no thanks, I happen to like to write and direct my own writings. Selling my own writings, maybe depends on the price   !!!

I think they need the original writing to make sure they stay with the original "feel" of MacGyver.. espicially with regards to the MacGyverisms.

But yeah, Bruckheimer would be good to make it. After National Treasure I think he has a feel for the MacGyver type adventure 

MacGyver's original writers along with Bruckheimer. What a team!!! On one of Bruckheimers site I read that after finishing the next POTC's a sequel will come on National Treasure by the end of the year along with Nicholas Cage.

Yes, National Treasure was great! It had the similar style. And NO nudity!!  lol
I really doubt RDA would ever want to do another movie anyway. If he ever made it into the cinema, my guess is, it would probably be an SG movie and he'd probably only make an appearence.  And in the rare chance/idea that he did make a Mac movie, it would probably be like the "Young MacGyver" idea. He would be the dad or mentor or whatever and the movie would really star some younger actor doing MacGyverisms.

Sheesh, Jules that's what I call optimism. You know try to stay optimistic due the ad. For me it gave a whole new fresh look upon those things.

I don't agree with that Tomms! Because it's MacGyver, it has to be done just right or not at all. I hate movie remakes of good series and the movie destroys it. 

I can understand that. 

Posted by: MacGyver Feb 10 2006, 07:38 AM
MacGyver's original writers along with Bruckheimer. What a team!!! On one of Bruckheimers site I read that after finishing the next POTC's a sequel will come on National Treasure by the end of the year along with Nicholas Cage.

I can't wait for that!!!!!    

It supposed to be coming in 2007! Here's the imdb page http://imdb.com/title/tt0465234/

Posted by: -Jules- Feb 10 2006, 12:16 PM
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Feb 10 2006, 05:05 AM)

Sheesh, Jules that's what I call optimism. You know try to stay optimistic due the ad. For me it gave a whole new fresh look upon those things.

I wasn't trying to sound so pesemistic.  Really. I'm just saying...I doubt RDA would do another movie. That's not to say I wouldn't LOVE for him to do one, but with his daughter, I doubt it.  And I loved the superbowl ad as much as anyone.

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 10 2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah I think we need to remember the comment made by RDA about the ad.

He said others have approched him about bringin back MacGyver by the MasterCard people "had the right sense of humour" he was looking for.

Now following from that one would assume that he still isn't interested in doing a full on "MacGyver" movie, or he would only be interested if it had that same sense of humour.

To be honest... I'd rather not see a movie set in the same vain as that commercial.

I like MacGyver the way he was in the TV show. Any change to that is basically a different charecter and might as well be called somethign else.

Whats the point of having a movie just so we can say "yeay we got a MacGyver movie" if it isn't actually MacGyver?

I'd hate to see MacGyver ruined the way the Dukes of Hazzard was in a movie.

I think what would be really kewl would be to have "Young MacGyver" which followed SAMs adventures as he does his independend photo jounalismn assignments...that could be kewl

Posted by: -Jules- Feb 10 2006, 02:39 PM
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Feb 10 2006, 01:21 PM)
I think what would be really kewl would be to have "Young MacGyver" which followed SAMs adventures as he does his independend photo jounalismn assignments...that could be kewl  

Yeah, that would be more likely. And he could kind of "co-star" or make appearences as good 'ol Mac.  

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 10 2006, 03:57 PM
There is one very positive thing which has come from the ad.

The internet is buzzing with talk about MacGyver. all the reviews of the commercials seem to be hailing the Mac ad as one of the better ads for this years superbowl.
Its amazing how many people remember MacGyver or at least know of MacGyver and RDA playing MacGyver in the show.

So theirs a chance that it could rekindle peoples interest, promote more DVD sales, things like that, which in turn may, and I say MAY, as in a slim chance, prompt Paramount to or some other production company to revisit the Young MacGyver idea or maybe rethink about a movie.

But in the real world this would have to be such an increase, that demand overruns supply, to the point where Paramount need to very quickly produce new stocks of the DVDs to meet the demand.

Only when that happens, and even then its a slim possibility, would Paramount look at any new projects around the MacGyver franchise.

Of course with all the buzz currently going on around the commercial, it could inspire some independent to take on the project of a new show or movie.

Posted by: Tomms247 Feb 11 2006, 03:21 PM
RDA doesnt seem to be the sort of guy to sit on his backside all day though.

Yes i know he has a daughter etc, But to make one or 2 movie's with his experience wouldnt break his back.

He could easily do another 2 movies. Look at Sean Connery, he's still doing movie's in his 60's. Who sais RDA is over the hill

not me, just dont mention his age and i wont think about it  

Posted by: rockatteer Feb 12 2006, 08:55 AM
Yes i know he has a daughter etc, But to make one or 2 movie's with his experience wouldnt break his back.

Movies are very time consuming though. And thats the problem. You arrive on set early int he mornign and leave late at night.

Ricks said hes very happy with the "space" he's in right now... he's getitng his house built and spending time with Wylie.

Even if he had Wylie on set with him.. its still not the quiet 1 on 1 time he wants to spend with her. Movie sets aren't the most relaxing of places to be.

He's spent the past 14 or so years working long hours... let the guy have a rest and enjoy life for a while.

Posted by: MacGyverGod Feb 13 2006, 01:19 AM
Making movies is like doing assignments for the Foundation, after each or some you need some time off. 

Posted by: -Jules- Feb 15 2006, 08:15 AM
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Feb 12 2006, 08:55 AM)

Movies are very time consuming though. And thats the problem. You arrive on set early int he mornign and leave late at night.

Ricks said hes very happy with the "space" he's in right now... he's getitng his house built and spending time with Wylie.

Even if he had Wylie on set with him.. its still not the quiet 1 on 1 time he wants to spend with her. Movie sets aren't the most relaxing of places to be. 

He's spent the past 14 or so years working long hours... let the guy have a rest and enjoy life for a while. 

Good post, Rock. My thoughts exactly.

I, actually, don't think he'd want to make a movie for those reasons. I don't think it has anything to do with age. I really do think it's all about his daughter and just being kind of tired of being in the spot light so much. Making movies would lead to more publicity etc. I thought he was "retired". Haha...whatever that means, right?

But these are just my ideas. We can't know what he's thinking. I agree w/Rock that the ad was good to kind of rekindle fans. I'm glad there is so much feedback. I send a comment to MasterCard about the ad.  

And that's it! clapping.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macgyver12186
Posted: 18 June 2021 - 07:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:

I enjoyed the commercial and wish there was an official release for it

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll