Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

The building used for exterior shots of MacGyver's season 2 loft has undergone a dramatic facelift to now include a cement facade and arched roof according to reports today from Los Angeles Magazine which is reporting that construction on the 12,000-square-foot building, which will house retail space and offices, was supposed to be completed in spring 2013, but as of November it was still undergoing renovations.

user posted image
A screen capture from a Season 2 episode of MacGyver (left), a Google Street View image taken in 2012
(middle), and a November 2013 photograph of the location, courtesy of Lindsay Blake (right)..

Interestingly the Hardware sign has been retained, perhaps as a nod to the buildings history. Throughout the season 2 appearances of the building a bright red Hardware sign can bee seen advertising the General Hardware store which occupied much of the ground level of the building. In later years the building itself looked to have become very run down with both the hardware store and dry cleaners, which occupied the space beside it, appearing to have closed down or moved on. The hardware store was eventually replaced by the "Hardwear" clothing store and it's this incarnation of the sign which has now been engraved into the new face of the building, presumably indicating that the clothing store is still occupying the ground floor space.

Thankfully MacGyver's other Seasons 1 and 7 abodes still remain in Venice (317 Ocean Front Walk and 1421 Abbot Kinney Boulevard), still looking much the same as they did when the series originally aired.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 1 February 2014 - 09:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: . . . Holy Rose
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

What is wrong with people? Have they no respect for preserving the greatness that is MacGyver? AGHHHH! headbutt.gif

"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 1 February 2014 - 01:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (MacFan092985 @ 2 February 2014 - 06:14 AM)
What is wrong with people? Have they no respect for preserving the greatness that is MacGyver? AGHHHH! headbutt.gif

laugh.gif Right?

The article says that the building will house offices which made me wonder what was really upstairs before.

We know the Loft was a sound stage and the building was only used for external shots, the same as the houseboat, so I wonder if it was always an office area upstairs?

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 1 February 2014 - 08:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

I'm just glad that even though the exterior was real and the interior was on a sound stage, that the set designers got it right with regard to the stairs leading up to Mac's place and the placement of his door.

There are times in movies and on TV where the exterior does not match the interior. A prime example of this is the restaurant on "Seinfeld". The exterior shots, (the windows, door, etc.) do not match the interior shots.

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 1 February 2014 - 09:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

I guess you could almost argue that with the Houseboat too.

While they had the doors in the right place the internal layout was backwards, which mean that external angles which allowed the viewer to see into the houseboat didn't match the interior shots.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
MacFan092985
Posted: 2 February 2014 - 06:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Excellent point.

I've always dreamed/thought that if I had the money I'd pay to have a replica of MacG.gif's Float Home/House Boat built exactly like it was on the show, both interior and exterior wise. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Marcin
Posted: 10 May 2014 - 02:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Oh, it's a shame :-( but from the other hand, we can't blame building owner. No one's paying him to keep building as it was 30 years ago.

"You can do anything you want to do, if you put your mind to it"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 11 May 2014 - 10:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor

Absolutely. Looks like the entire building went through this facelift.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll