MacGyverisms that aren't normally acknowledged.
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Widowmaker
Posted: 20 July 2016 - 02:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Loft

I've looked through some sites that listed all the MacGyverisms in each episode and noticed that a lot of times, there are more simplistic MacGyverisms that are overlooked.

Like in the Widowmaker, MacGyver uses a mattress as a shield against Murdoc's flamethrower and then blocks the door with it to slow Murdoc down. Later, he rigs up harnesses for himself and Nikki with the leftover rope on the side of the mountain, and then uses the bag of climbing powder to temporarily blind Murdoc. Typically, only the arc welder and using the bracelet to send Morse code through the telephone line are listed because they're more science-y.

At times, I think the more simplistic 'isms are more useful than the really complex ones that end up only being noisy distractions.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 13 April 2017 - 05:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity
House:  House boat

I agree with you, Widowmaker. Science was always my worst subject so a lot of Macgyverisms get a little hard for me to follow or understand. I like the scenes like you mentioned where he takes the ordinary and uses it in a way most people wouldn't think of. To me, those are the best examples of his ingenuity and powers of observation...thinking "out side the box."

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted: 7 May 2017 - 09:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

As I mentioned above, I'm not good with science/mechanics so I can't say I've really used MacGyverisms (Except for duct tape and using a binder clip to hold the waistband of my pants together when I lost the button at work). I've been thinking about Macgyverisms of the mind. Mac used misdirection, etc. for a lot of his stuff to work. As a tutor, I had a student who could NOT pass a test on long division. He would practice for weeks, literally, but when he had the test in front of him he always failed. With nothing to lose, I copied the test problems on a plain sheet of paper and told him to "practice" without any help or prompting from me. He aced it!! And was very surprised when I told him he passed the test. Another little math trick I used had to do with mixed number story problems. For instance: If the red team eats 3 1/2 pizzas, and the blue team eats 2 and 1/3 pizzas, how much pizza did they eat in all. I had kids get so hung up on the fraction aspect that they couldn't decide whether to add, multiply, etc. To help the, I took out the fraction: Red team eats 3, blue team eats 2, how do find out how much they ate all together and I would quickly get the answer (add)!

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 7 May 2017 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Ugly Duckling

Why he didn't get electric shock when he touched the telephone wire with bracelet? The metal wire wasn't visible actually when he scraped the wire with knife, but does it make small buzz sound in real life if you almost touch the wire?

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyversGirl4Ever
Posted: 10 May 2017 - 01:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Tinker Small

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Truck

I know exactly what you're talking about. In the episode "The Gauntlet" the usage of the clay stuff and the camera wasn't even mentioned in some of the sites I read. It's even an EXPLOSION! blowup.gif

~MacGyversGirl4ever

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 11 May 2017 - 12:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

It is funny how that gets overlooked...and its from the first season!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 11 May 2017 - 01:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 8 May 2017 - 10:09 AM)
Why he didn't get electric shock when he touched the telephone wire with bracelet? The metal wire wasn't visible actually when he scraped the wire with knife, but does it make small buzz sound in real life if you almost touch the wire?

Because phone wires aren't electrified. You can safely touch them without being electrocuted.

And yes it will cause a humming sound if you touch the wire.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 11 June 2017 - 09:00 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Ugly Duckling

QUOTE (MacGyverOnline @ 11 May 2017 - 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (MiracleMac @ 8 May 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Because phone wires aren't electrified. You can safely touch them without being electrocuted.

And yes it will cause a humming sound if you touch the wire.

Good to know, whoops and now my conscious mind realized that it was just telephone line not power line, so makes sense headbutt.gif biggrin.gif

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted: 5 November 2017 - 08:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

One of my favorites: from the fourth episode, sliding a map under the door, pushing the key out of the keyhole so that it falls onto the map, then pulling the map back under the door with the key on top of it. Perfect for exactly the reason you mentioned - it wasn't complex or hard to follow, and yet, way quicker thinking than most people would do in that kind of situation.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 6 November 2017 - 03:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

And such thought has a way of bringing out the creativity in everybody!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 6 November 2017 - 07:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

And another reason why the original show worked so well on so many levels.

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll