Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

user posted image

014 - Countdown

Airdate: 05 February 1986
Writers: David Ketchum & Tony DiMarco
Director: Stan Jolley
Guest Cast: Ellen Bry as Carole Tanner , Steven Williams as Charlie Robinson , Dana Elcar as Pete Thornton
Michael Cavanaugh as Donahue.

MacGyver races against the clock and certain death as he tries to disarm two sophisticated bombs on a cruise ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 8 November 2006 - 09:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from March 27, 2006:

How do you rate this episode?
Poor [ 1 ] [6.67%]
Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
OK [ 1 ] [6.67%]
Good [ 2 ] [13.33%]
Excellent [ 11 ] [73.33%]
Total Votes: 15

Archived Comments:

Posted by: MacGyverGod Nov 22 2004, 02:17 AM
Countdown was a good episode. Nice plot and a way cool bomb contraption with all those fluids and powders, instead of just a bunch wires or explosives with a timer in small box. I think that's the most well invented bomb of the series. 

Posted by: rockatteer Nov 22 2004, 08:07 AM
LOL Yeah MG, your right. great bomb.

This is one of my favourite eps. Not really sure why, it just smacks of "true MacGyver"

Posted by: sonyab Nov 22 2004, 11:09 AM
I voted excellent!!  I love this episode. The beginning when he was showing his landlord his invention but it didn't work rofl. The macgyverisms were awesome. So many bombs! Sad that his friend had to die and his wife was expecting there first child. MacGyver became godfather to the baby (I made that one up)  In the end they caught the bad guy.   

Posted by: zhennu Nov 22 2004, 11:58 AM
I voted excellent as well. ^^ The bomb was really cool! (Hey! I just saw this episode last week! ) That egg that fell was funny! xD *pats the robot* Nice robot! xD

MacGyver became godfather to the baby (I made that one up)  In the end they caught the bad guy. 

Haha sonyab! xD I hope that's what really happened! 

Posted by: MacGyver Nov 22 2004, 03:54 PM
"Countdown" is a great episode because it features MacGyver doing what he was well trained and experienced to do- disarm bombs. As we know from this very episode, he spent some time in the Army defusing bombs in the Vietnam War. The bomb itself looked very interesting with all the tricks there were to defusing it. Pretty suspenseful episode on that count. Also, another episode that showed MacGyver and Pete working so well together, with the whole golf question at the end. Good episode! 

Posted by: Tomms247 Nov 22 2004, 05:17 PM
what low life voted that this was a poor episode? every MAC episode was great. Classic american history on VHS, and now DVD aswell. In the UK we have mainly comical or play type tv shows. You may have heard of 'Bottom' thats our UK version of classical tv, but america stand in a class of their own, and your history reflects a great nation. 

Posted by: rockatteer Nov 22 2004, 10:36 PM
what low life voted that this was a poor episode?

That would be me!

Well actually, it wasn't  but we don't need to call people names, just because they don't like an episode.

every MAC episode was great.

There are episodes, that I will be giving a poor rating on when they come up in the discussion. Some just don't make the grade at all.

but america stand in a class of their own, and your history reflects a great nation.

Um...? hmmm.....

Lets not go down that path!

Posted by: MrMacFixIt Nov 23 2004, 12:43 AM
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 22 2004, 01:17 AM)
Countdown was a good episode. Nice plot and a way cool bomb contraption with all those fluids and powders, instead of just a bunch wires or explosives with a timer in small box. I think that's the most well invented bomb of the series. 

yeah, back in the day when they had money or inclination to put a little more detail into Mac and isms. 

QUOTE (rockatteer @ Nov 22 2004, 07:07 AM)
This is one of my favourite eps. Not really sure why, it just smacks of "true MacGyver"

yep, more raw... not all everything okay, peaches and cream... more hit and miss of real life.  Sorry his buddy had to buy it tho.

QUOTE (MacGyver @ Nov 22 2004, 02:54 PM)
"Countdown" is a great episode because it features MacGyver doing what he was well trained and experienced to do- disarm bombs. As we know from this very episode, he spent some time in the Army defusing bombs in the Vietnam War. The bomb itself looked very interesting with all the tricks there were to defusing it. Pretty suspenseful episode on that count. Also, another episode that showed MacGyver and Pete working so well together, with the whole golf question at the end.

yeah good background character developement. too bad they couldn't have done more of that without contradicting themselves. 

QUOTE (Tomms247 @ Nov 22 2004, 04:17 PM)
what low life voted that this was a poor episode? every MAC episode was great. Classic american history on VHS, and now DVD aswell. In the UK we have mainly comical or play type tv shows. You may have heard of 'Bottom' thats our UK version of classical tv, but america stand in a class of their own, and your history reflects a great nation.

Ut oh.  Hope everyone that disagrees with you isn't a low life. I could be in trouble. I voted excellent. And I agree... most non NoAm media sucks. However... American history... are you referring to the Vietnam reference in this episode? I'd think most Americans would agree... not excactly proudest moment in of US history. 

Posted by: lemmy357 Nov 23 2004, 01:52 AM
I voted excellent. It has many of the things that made MacGyver a great TV show.

I do wish the person that voted "poor" would explain why they feel it is a bad episode. I respect their opinion, I am just curious what they thought was missing or what was done poorly in this episode. I think another reason I like it is that for some reason it is one of the episodes that I have only seen 3-4 times (unlike most that I have seen 7-8 times). 

Posted by: MacGyverGod Nov 24 2004, 04:37 AM
I've seen that series atleast 100 times almost every day of the past four years and even after seeing every episode there's always a few I don't like. Thief of Budapest was one of 'em but I still voted OK the ones who can expect poor is Jenny's Chance and The Lost Amadeus and some more. 

Posted by: Killian Oct 19 2005, 05:15 AM
One question - when he is disarming the bomb, there is the yellow powder that reacts with oxygen (Phosphorus) and he decides to remove it with with a neon tube. Now:
Inside the bomb we have vacuum - now I dont understand one thing: If there is a gas inside the tube and he opens that tube inside the vacuum, the gas should be pulled out and not as in the movie, he got something like a vacuum cleaner and removed all the powder with the tube (because the powder was pulled inside)...

Posted by: Killian Oct 19 2005, 07:30 AM
I just wanted to say that it should be backwards - the neon would blow the phosphorus over the entire bomb... Maybe I am wrong. 

Posted by: rockatteer Oct 19 2005, 08:44 AM
I think its working on the idea, that the gas sucks out of the tube creating a tempery vacuum before he put it into the powder.

There was a short delay from when he poped the cork to when the tube goes into the powder.

Remember this is only based on science facts. They have to dramatise and over do things to make it look good on TV.

In reality the vacuum produced would be so small and short that it wouldn't do anything to the powder.

When we see the tube pulled out it only has powder around the edge of the tube.... what happined to all the powder it sucked up? that amount of poweder would have filled half the tube.

Posted by: MacGirl Oct 19 2005, 08:58 AM
I voted excellent. Liked the suspense, the complicated bombs, and the banter between Mac and Pete. I also liked how "Viking" was so clever that he kept them guessing, while all the while he was right there, helping them to defuse the bombs. Mac and Charlie were great together, too. Too bad Mac had to lose Charlie in the course of the ep.  In my mind, this one goes in the "classic Mac" bin!

Most eps I'm going to vote good or excellent, too. There are a few exceptions, like The Lost Amadeus and a few others that I'll vote poor on. 

Posted by: Amy Oct 20 2005, 04:57 AM
I agree-great ep and goes in the classic Mac bin!

I love at the end when the guy tells them to pull the one fuse and Mac pulls the other. I just saw a similar thing on a tv show--I don't remember what it was, CSI or Criminal Minds or something like that (had to be a CBS show since I get one station)--the guy who made a bomb tells them they need to cut a certain wire to defuse it and they cut the other. Right away I wondered if the writers had seen Countdown. 

Posted by: MacGirl Oct 20 2005, 04:23 PM
Hmm... you have to wonder, don't you? Like I've said before, I think Mac had a greater influence on later TV shows than anyone's realized. 

Posted by: jb.jones Mar 27 2006, 04:33 PM
To Killian, you asked:

One question - when he is disarming the bomb, there is the yellow powder that reacts with oxygen (Phosphorus) and he decides to remove it with with a neon tube. Now:
Inside the bomb we have vacuum - now I dont understand one thing: If there is a gas inside the tube and he opens that tube inside the vacuum, the gas should be pulled out and not as in the movie, he got something like a vacuum cleaner and removed all the powder with the tube (because the powder was pulled inside)...

I think that the bomb was not a vacuum that had no air, just less air than the normal atmosphere, it would not be necessary to have a full vacuum, not to mention that if it was a full vacuum the silicon lining would be sucked in. The bomb couldn't function with a full vacuum. This implies that the vacuum was somewhat weak. Remember it is only necessary to have enough air sucked into the bomb disrupt the phosphorous. A weak vacuum would do this.

As long as the neon tube had less pressure than the bomb, it would suck the powder in.

These are my thoughts anyway. What do you think? 

Posted by: rockatteer Mar 27 2006, 05:32 PM
The theory is the same as if you hold an empty drink bottle under water.
The air escapes in bubbles of air, but the container fills up with water.

This is because as the air escapes it creates a vacuum in the bottle which sucks or allows the water in to fill the space left by the air.

In the bomb we had the same thing... the Phosphorus was sucked into the tube to fill the space left by the neon gas.

According to Macs explanation, the Phosphorus exploded when oxygen hit it. This indicates that the bomb was an oxygen void... by the way the air rushed in it certainly looked like a full vacuum.

I have to wander how the air got in though, because Charlie sealed the hole with Vaseline around the needle he was using.

Posted by: rockatteer Mar 27 2006, 05:44 PM
One thing that always annoys me...and is a very good example in this episode...is how people who don't know MacGyver at all call him Mac.

In this episode the captain starts off calling him MacGyver and then suddenly without warning starts calling him Mac.

How does she know that Mac is his nick name? 

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 26 September 2007 - 07:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

Ok this episode still gets an excellent vote from me.

And I still don't really know why.

I love the scene with Mac and Charlie getting onto the boat from the helicopter.. it's so "Here comes the cavalry to save the day" but in a kewl way. Like Navy seals busting into a room to save prisoners or something. It rocks!

I think probably the main thing I like is the whole bomb disarming bit.. its one MacGyverism after the other.

It's a pity though that they chose to reuse the opening footage from The Prodigal with Mac in the yellow top out on his balcony and then when he walks inside, suddenly he's wearing different clothes.

But apart from that its a top notch episode and also gives us the all important Special forces bomb team background story.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 7 October 2007 - 06:37 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I have a question - They kept referring to Vietnam bomb campaigns. Were there fancy flashy bombs like that in the Vietnam war? Ones that used chemical triggers like the powder in the dish and acid in cylinders? I have the impression it was mainly jungle warfare with mines, tripwire rigged grenade traps and bombs dropped from planes.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted on 7 October 2007 - 02:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker

QUOTE (Macs Lab Rat @ 7 October 2007 - 11:12 AM)
I have a question - They kept referring to Vietnam bomb campaigns. Were there fancy flashy bombs like that in the Vietnam war? Ones that used chemical triggers like the powder in the dish and acid in cylinders? I have the impression it was mainly jungle warfare with mines, tripwire rigged grenade traps and bombs dropped from planes.

I don't think so, but when you train for bomb disposal I'm there are many techniques to learn for every situation. And I'm sure more technical bombs were used in terrorist situations. Better to be over-educated than clueless.

Anyway, this one gets an X-cellent from me too. Steven Williams was terrific in this, and he and RDA's interactions were very believable.

Even though it's a stock episode (bomb scare on a ship... can't get out, HAVE to difuse-seen it before, will see it again) the story moved right along. And the first time I saw it, I was really horrified when Charlie died. sad.gif

Off to watch it again! So I'll have more of an opinion when I next post... happy.gif

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 October 2007 - 03:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Macs Lab Rat @ 8 October 2007 - 04:12 AM)

I got the impression they where referring to terrorist type attacks, used to maybe blow up places frequented by US solders, or maybe even US posts, barracks and the such.

I don't know if these kinds of bombings actually happened or not in Vietnam?

I would have to re-watch the episode again for sure, but is it possible they where talking about bombings they'd studied in their training?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 7 October 2007 - 07:59 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I didn't really like this episode. dry.gif But I didn't hate it either. Can't put my finger on why it left me with no great impression either way. hmm.bmp

I like Steven Williams. Think he's a good actor and nice to look at.

One thing I think that bothers me is that there aren't that many women in number one or two power possitions, that's a more recent development. It certainly was less common twenty years ago. But MacGyver seems to run into every single one of them. huh.gif

I didn't like the way they opened up the military service question and then never touched on it again.

*shrugs* I'll give it a good rating, because it was. smile.gif

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 7 October 2007 - 08:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

Good ep!

I liked the backstory about Mac being part of the bomb disposal unit in 'Nam.

Loved Charlie Robbins (what is it about the name 'Charlie' that spells doom for the bit-actors who encounter RDA in his various incarnations?).

Loved Pete and the 'never played a game of golf in your entire mis-spent life' line laugh.gif

plus all the MacGyverisms and suspense and angst and action! Good stuff!

I also liked that dark-haired agent we saw outside the bus station... the one who wanted to hold the money ... he cracked me up! I wish he had been a reoccuring character! smile.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 7 October 2007 - 10:57 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I voted good.
Not particularly one of my favs, but it still has me on the edge of my seat when I'm watching it.

I do love the scene where they get on the boat (thanks Rock, fo reminding me!)

And of course it's packed with MacGyverisms.

I didn't like the references to 'Nam (I hate it when they say 'Nam, just say Vietnam, will ya?)

But other than that I liked this episode a lot!

Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 October 2007 - 01:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

Sorry, I just don’t really like the big fancy bomb at all. It seemed too impractical with pointless flashy lights and I want to question things with it every time I see it.

QUOTE (Rock)
is it possible they where talking about bombings they'd studied in their training?
hmm.bmp Maybe.
They may have skipped a bit of training while visiting the French Quarter. Phosphorous is in many explosive devices. WP was used in the Vietnam war. Wouldn't that have made it one of the top chemicals that sprung in to their minds when they saw the powder in the dish in a sealed cabinet with a thermocouple poised ready to read the flash? Maybe the flashy lights dazzled them. laugh.gif

Oh yes, that blue acid annoyed me too. Every time there are photographs taken in our lab they make us all stand about pipetting or pouring blue, green, purple…just about any colour of liquid possible. I understand that it looks pretty and shows up better in photos than clear liquid but it just feels silly. Keep thinking Viking put blue dye in it to make it look pretty.

One more question, (for now! rolleyes.gif ) – what does “dog shut” mean? Never heard that saying before. Carole asks for the doors to be “dog shut” on her and MacGyver.

Even though I find myself picking at the bomb I quite like this episode. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Macs Lab Rat on 8 October 2007 - 01:36 PM

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 8 October 2007 - 04:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

A dog is a hinged brace latch.

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 8 October 2007 - 06:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity

I rated this episode good. I liked the Macgyverisms, he had to do a lot of improvisation after losing the bomb defusing kit overboard.

I liked the backstory with Mac's Vietnam service, and I liked the interaction with Charlie. Too bad Charlie got killed off....he would have made an interesting recurring character for the series.

Oh yes, that blue acid annoyed me too. Every time there are photographs taken in our lab they make us all stand about pipetting or pouring blue, green, purple…just about any colour of liquid possible. I understand that it looks pretty and shows up better in photos than clear liquid but it just feels silly. Keep thinking Viking put blue dye in it to make it look pretty.

True Ratty. I remember one time when I worked in the Army pharmacology lab we had this big inspection going on with lots of high ranking generals walking through our building. Our lab was the very first one you passed after you crossed the reception area, so we were always on display at these things. When we had this big inspection. we set up an elaborate distillation device, filled it with colored water and let it bubble away. The generals were all very impressed, nodding and smiling at our experiment as we stood around it in our white lab coats and writing numbers on our clipboards. I nearly bit my lip off trying not to laugh. When the generals moved on, we shut the doors and laughed ourselves silly. Thanks for reminding me.

On a serious note though, the bomb was just a little too fiddly to look real for me. And what Pete and his entire team of agents aren't smart enough to cross reference the different triggers with bomb squad teams who would have encountered them? That was a little hard to swallow as well, but overall this is a good episode.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 8 October 2007 - 09:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (MacNymph @ 9 October 2007 - 01:46 AM)

lips.jpg Thank you. biggrin.gif

huh.gif I forgot to vote! I vote good. happy.gif And I'm going to stop moaning about the bomb now. laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 9 October 2007 - 04:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Macs Lab Rat @ 8 October 2007 - 03:09 PM)
what does “dog shut” mean? Never heard that saying before. Carole asks for the doors to be “dog shut” on her and MacGyver.

QUOTE (MacNymph @ 8 October 2007 - 05:46 PM)

More than that: it's being used as a verb, as in "dog the hatches" -- close the doors and seal them. As a mechanical term, a dog is a device for gripping and holding (the way a dog's jaws grip and hold); but the verb is mostly used on board ship.

I'll have to check my OED, but I suspect that usage originated as a nautical term. That's why they used it in this episode, and it's probably why you hadn't encountered it before, Ratty.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
dinoman
Posted on 27 February 2009 - 06:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft

Very exciting episode, lots of MacGyverisms. I think this is the first time Mac mentioned about his working relationship with Pete, but they already have very good understanding of each other (the golf thing). I voted excellent!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 27 February 2009 - 01:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Macs Lab Rat @ 9 October 2007 - 10:34 AM)

Here's something even more odd.

In every acid level chart I've seen, the blue colors (blue - purple) are used to indicate alkaline and acid is indicated by yellows and greens.

blink.gif

But as you say, it's all to do with visual story telling, not factual information.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 27 April 2009 - 04:11 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Lots of good MacGyverisms in this ep.

MacLovin
Posted on 25 April 2010 - 10:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: pink knockoff

Favorites
Episode:Pilot

I love this episode! It seems like one of the more realistic ones.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 5 March 2011 - 08:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

This episode was awesome. I especially loved the ending when we finally worked out who the bad guy was, and having to choose between the blue button and the yellow button to defuse the bomb.

Brilliant episode.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 17 January 2012 - 12:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

The ship used in this episode was called MS Vistaford. It has been renamed twice and currently holds the name MS Saga Ruby.

It looks like it's gone through a few paint jobs in it's time as well with the smoke stack changing color 3 times and the hull now being black.

Here's the Wikipedia page about the ship

user posted image
user posted image

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 17 January 2012 - 01:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Anyone know what this blade is called?

Attached Image
Attached Image

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Issus
Posted on 26 January 2012 - 08:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites
Episode:The escape
House:  Apartment

I'd say its either a very small saw or a razor

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Tobop
Posted on 30 January 2012 - 08:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I wish Charlie didn't have to die sad.gif
He should have just survived... Incapacitated but, alive.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
mac8
Posted on 2 February 2012 - 01:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Target Macgyver

i agree.

"the tigers could have used you this year." MacGyver in the road not taken.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 3 February 2012 - 12:16 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

QUOTE (Tobop @ 31 January 2012 - 04:19 PM)
I wish Charlie didn't have to die sad.gif
He should have just survived... Incapacitated but, alive.

I disagree. It was sad that he died, but before he did he gave Mac the answer to defusing that bomb - in part. If Charlie hadn't died the way he did he wouldn't have been able to provide that vital information to Mac.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 6 August 2012 - 05:35 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest

This episode is very suspenseful! I know nothing about bombs or bomb defusing, but those bombs *did* look pretty cool on screen anyway, and it was a pure delight to see Mac and the captain's teamwork to defuse them.

I felt for Charlie and his poor wife, though. What an awful way to die after so many successful bomb disposals! sad.gif
I do, however, understand the writers' decision to "kill him off"--this episode struck a more serious note that way, and it wasn't supposed to be too light hearted.

I did somehow suspect Donahue from the beginning though... does that make him very cliché, or am I just very smart? tongue.gif

I do suspect that Mac wanted to share more than tables with Carole... rolleyes.gif
...OK, OK, I *know*, the world would come to an end within just a few hours should everyone reason like me, but there really was too much unnecessary romance in the first season, and I could so have done without that very last line. tongue.gif

Anyway--a strong "Good" from me. Almost bordering on "Excellent", but not quite.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 07:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist

Yet another one of my favorite episodes from Season 1. This episode felt very suspenseful and realistic at the same time. The story is very well written. I was very sad when Charlie died. But without him dying he wouldn't have given Mac a vital piece of information. I somehow suspected Donahue from the beginning. Does that make his character cliche or am I very smart? hmm.bmp I know nothing about bombs or bomb defusing but in this episode it seems very realistic. Overall a "Excellent" episode.

Overall Rating: 10/10 duct.gif sak.gif macsak.gif

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 11:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I really liked this episode. I have sailed on cruise ships several times as well as going to sea on a ship for work. MacBeth described the "dog the door" well. I am not sure if it originated as a nautical term, but it is still used regularly today at sea.

I felt really bad that Charlie died too, but I thought it was nice how they showed Mac having stopped his action with the bomb and just went outside to deal with the loss of his friend. Also that Mac talked the new Captain into telling the passengers about what was going on. She asked Mac if he would want to know that he might die soon, and he said he would want to know (or something like that). I agree with Mac, I would want to know. unsure.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 4 August 2013 - 09:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

sak.gif Full of classic MacGyver know how. Like the plot, of putting Mac in a tough situation to disarm the bombs. We see Mac's EOD skills put to the test.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
BrakeFluid
Posted on 5 August 2013 - 07:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: An old one. :)

Favorites
Episode:The Outsiders
Vehicle: Truck
House:  Loft

I think this was the first episode I realized that when Mac ran into an old friend, it meant the same thing as that mandolin riff in The Godfather or anyone in a red shirt on Star Trek. From then on, anytime we met someone he described as an old friend whom we hadn't met before, that guy or gal was in big trouble... ohmy.gif

Be that as it may, it's a brilliant episode. Plenty of tension, lots of great MacGyverisms, and the "golf trick" was beautifully executed. I loved this one when I was a kid, and I still love it now. I've been informally working on a list of ten or so episodes I plan to watch with my wife once I get my hands on my DVDs again (they're currently in my parents' basement in Philadelphia - I live in Singapore and importing DVDs there is a big hassle), to introduce her to the show. Countdown is most likely going to make the list if/when I write it down.

They've got guns. All I have is orange juice and a rope...

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll