SAK to the rescue!, How's your SAK gotten you out of a jam?
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
SAK
Posted: 22 September 2007 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

QUOTE (mser @ 21 September 2007 - 02:40 AM)
The door to my husband's office was locked and no one knew where a key was. Before I called a locksmith, I said, "What would MacGyver do?" I got the SAK and went to work....................................................... wish I used it as efficiently as Mac does..................... locksmith was expensive!

Haha! I married a locksmith, so I don't have that problem. Plumber, on the other hand, is another thing. I'd have to call a plumber. Well, at least I don't have to look at plumber's butt every day! laugh.gif

Welcome to the forum, from a fellow Alabamian! I think there are three of us here now.

I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

PM                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 21 November 2007 - 07:47 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

I was at a science fiction convention last weekend, sharing a room with two long-term friends of mine. At these events, people get to bed at wildly irregular hours, and we have to stay very considerate and cut each other plenty of slack when it comes to sleeping arrangements.

So when I woke up at 3 am to find both of them snoring, I didn't try to poke anyone and make them roll over; I reached for the earplugs I had carefully left on the bedside table, safe in their little bottle.

Very safe in their little bottle. Stuck very firmly at the bottom of their little bottle. mad.gif

Wellll . . . since my partner gave me my new SAK for my birthday less than a month ago, wub.gif it has (amazingly enough) become one of my most prized possessions. It was on the bedside table too. And I had made a point, within the first week I had it, of learning how to locate and identify any of the tools without needing to look at the knife.

I was able to put my hand on it in the dark, open up the screwdriver blade and prise out the dratted earplugs, all without needing to turn on a light or get out of bed. And fell happily back to sleep without having disturbed either of my companions. biggrin.gif

yawn.gif I might have snored back at them in turn, but no-one mentioned it.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 21 November 2007 - 11:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity

Very safe in their little bottle. Stuck very firmly at the bottom of their little bottle

I'm sorry...........its not funny........but.............. roller.gif

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 22 November 2007 - 11:20 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 21 November 2007 - 10:47 PM)
yawn.gif I might have snored back at them in turn, but no-one mentioned it.

The key to peaceful communal living= sak.gif

cool.jpg

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
banlu
Posted: 29 November 2007 - 05:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Classic SD

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Strictly Business and The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

My SAK is special - I spent 15 years as a volunteer at the Natural Science Museum, giving programs to school groups. At the end of the 10th (or was it 15th? can't remember ~sigh~ ), year, they give you a sak.gif in appreciation biggrin.gif

It's on my keychain, and find the scissors come in quite handy on occasion. I've flown more in the last year than I had in ages, and am paranoid I'm going to forget to take it off the ring before I go to the airport - don't want it confiscated at security!

banlu

A hug from Mac seemed to cure almost anything ~sigh~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Victoria_Rose
Posted: 7 December 2007 - 01:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

I found a use for my baby sak the yesterday actually. I work as an operator at an answering service in Ohio. We use computers (the 1902 model with only dos on it lol!) to help us answer the phones and take messages. Anyway, sometimes the keys stick or don't work on the keyboards. My dial out key was not working so I used the nail file on my sak to pop the key off because I couldn't get it off by hand, then sprayed some of that canned air they use to clean keyboards on the inside and popped the key back on. Not very thrilling I know, but what the heck?

Vickie Rose

laarell4241
Posted: 22 December 2007 - 05:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Golden Triangle
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment

Hiya all,

I know I've been gone for quite a while, but you know how things go sometimes. First you spend all summer on deployment with research aircraft starting in delightful, but awfully muggy Houston in June and then hauling your sorry rear end all the way to Costa Rica until the end of August. On the plus side I missed all the dog days of summer, on the minus side I was tired as a dog. I know it's December though, so what have I been up to once the summer ended?

Second you get talked into doing a second masters degree and then cloud physics ends up kicking that same rear end of yours that's feeling ever more sorry with every homework. Well, at least I passed the evil class with a decent grade and I will not have to deal with the stuff again. Okay, I deal with it every day, but at least I don't have to take a test on it.

Third, well, I kind of had this pet project cooking since sometime in February. No it did not involve any hazardous materials, household chemicals or man-eating plants (I swear the stupid pineapple is going to consume somebody one day, it better flower soon). Umm, how do I break this one? Still getting used to it a bit, I'm sure some of you can relate... Just over six weeks ago I became a mom. My husband and I had a little boy in the beginning of November.

You know how sometimes things just add insult to injury sort of. Okay, last Friday I'm going to my last final exam. I don't usually take the parking garage elevators, but when your parking permit is for the roof and you're technically still supposed to be 'resting', it's a bit tricky to haul yourself and books and a kid in a basket down five floors. So I get my butt in the elevator, the doors close, I hit the button for ground and nothing happens. Okay, I'm trying the 'door open' button, nothing's happening. I'm stuck in the stupid elevator and I have like fifteen minutes before the exam starts. Well, so get this, some idiot probably thought it would be very funny to shove chewing gum or some other like substance around all the buttons for the floors, so the button I pushed never popped back and the whole thing got stalled. I don't have a habit of checking for gum in the crack around the elevator buttons, you know. Thankfully I don't go anywhere without my SAK. I was able to dig the gum out enough around the ground floor button that it was able to pop back and the elevator finally moved. I made it to my test with about five minutes to spare. dry.gif

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
victorinox
Posted: 25 December 2007 - 04:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:almost all of them

QUOTE (laarell4241 @ 23 December 2007 - 07:46 AM)
Just over six weeks ago I became a mom. My husband and I had a little boy in the beginning of November.

Congratulations on being a mom!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

"You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next, including you." --- Murdoc

"His name is MacGyver. He can fix anything. He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape." --- Pete

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
MacWheels
Posted: 11 February 2008 - 06:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: MoreThanEnuf

Favorites
Episode:PilotEpisode
Vehicle: Truck

I would not say that my SAK's have had any lifesaving moments,but they sure have made life alot easier.Friday night would be a good example.
I drive a truck for a living.I pull two trailers(Doubles) from point A to point B and back again on a nightly basis.I am home everday and every weekend.When I choose to make some extra money I take a trip to Indianapolis Indiana from Cleveland Ohio.I do some other driving before I leave on this run so I have to take a break there.The company I pull for pays for the room so I dont mind.It gets me ouit of the house for the day,lets me watch a few episodes of MacGyver on my DVD player in peace and quiet too.

This Friday,I had decided to stay out.When I get back to the yard from my first run everyone is gone for the weekend.I am on the yard by myself.I got my trailers,bills,ect and locked up the building.I then hooked up my set to go to Indianapolis.

After hooking up,I discovered that some of my trailer lights on the back trailer
were not working.

So I used the nailfile in my Wenger Handyman sak.gif to spread the pins out on the plug in box on the rear trailer.This usually is the problem,well Friday night it was only a partial solution.

So instead of having to call breakdown,or split my set I looked at the power cord.
(We call them Pigtails).It looked like the cord was frayed and damaged.Hence some of the lights were shorted out.

When you pull doubles there is a convert gear that goes between the front and rear trailer.There are lots of names for them.Where I work,we call them "Jif's".

Some of the newer Jifs have a junction box and there are 2 cords.One runs to the front trailer and one runs to the rear.Most of the jifs have one cord that runs from trailer to trailer.This was a newer Jif,fortunatley the second cord was long enough to go from trailer to trailer.So I used my Wenger Handyman sak.gif again to cut the Zip Ties securing the cords to the Jif.Plugged in the cord and had lights.I then took some DuctTape duct.gif ,secured the cord to keep it from flopping or dragging on the ground and I was on my way.

That is what I like about my SAK's and MultiTools.They keep me rolling.If my wheels are not turning I am not earning.Sitting around for a few hours waiting on a repair truck,is not my idea of fun.It is suprising what can be done to fix many problems if a person only takes a minute to look around at what is available.Then takes a minute to look at what is broken,how it works,and how can it be bypassed or made to work with what is available. clip.JPG duct.gif sak.gif matchs.JPG

Dtrain sak.gif open.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 25 February 2008 - 06:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I was at a house concert on Saturday, a folk duo called Pint and Dale (two of the most talented folk musicians in the Pacific NW). Like most folk musicians, Felicia Pint plays a slew of different instruments, and she has some marvellous hardwood pennywhistles (pennywhistles are usually metal).

Due to the venue and the weather, they were having a bit more trouble than usual keeping their instruments in tune; William would carry on the patter while Felicia tuned, and vice versa. At one point, he was tuning and she was gesturing with the pennywhistle and commenting on how he had to tune his instrument to her, because she didn’t have anything that would work. whistle.gif

“I’m not sure just what tool you could use to tune a pennywhistle,” she said.

A man in the front row of the audience pulled an SAK out of his pocket, opened the awl, and offered it to her. sak.gif

I just about fell out of my seat laughing.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Issus
Posted: 22 March 2008 - 11:32 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:The escape

This was not a serious thing, but when I was fixing a watering sistem, it came in handy to make holes for the pieces to water plants one by one. I couldn't think of anything for thtat job, and i always carry my SAK around so....

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
nojj
Posted: 18 November 2008 - 11:01 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  ---

I like resurrecting old threads, too....

Just realized that SAK makes pocket tools, also.
Kinda pricy though, the Spirit+ is comparable in price to the black commando model by Gerber.
But, I have a duty as a MacGyver fan, so I'll guess I'll have to get one.
(Then I can hold my head up in the MOL community)

I've been a pocket tool carrier for many years, and it has come in handy countless times.
Fixing guitar jacks on stage, cutting strings, construction work........

One episode came to mind where it actually kept a child from coming to harm.

I had take one of my neighbors and her then 8 YO daughter to ChuckeeCheese,
that insipid haven of screaming children, remarkably bad pizza and alarmingly lifesized puppets.
Said child was jumping around in the ball pit, when her foot went through the ropes underneath,
and became caught.
It was cutting off the circulation to her foot.
She freaked out,
her MOTHER freaked out,
the manager was standing there actually wringing his hands and saying (to noone in particular)
"somebody DO something"
I swear on my Mother's Ashes that was when the phrase WWMD popped into my head.
Grabbed out my tool, and made a running shallow dive to get under about 3 feet of brightly colored balls,
then used the knife to carefully cut the kid's foot free.

Man, I went home feeling like a HERO happy_dance.gif

MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 November 2008 - 11:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

clapping.gif yes somebody... do SOMETHING.. I'm only the manager.. what would I know about taking charge of a situation.

eesh doh.gif

Kewl story though. smile.gif

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
nojj
Posted: 18 November 2008 - 02:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

All true too.
Made me feel real good.

I also used it to pull a thermostat out of my truck in the middle of the woods one time.

MacBeth
Posted: 18 November 2008 - 06:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I don't remember if we included this in our assorted Gatecon reports -- but when we crossed into Canada, we stopped at the duty-free store. Grrl and I were prowling the booze section when Lothi came up and informed us that, amongst the other fine items available from diverse countries, there was . . . a Victorinox display.

We added a couple of Tinkers to our collective arsenal. Both got used that weekend, but not for anything Mac would have condoned: they were initially used to cut open limes for margaritas. I did use mine for cheese as well, though.

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Issus
Posted: 28 November 2008 - 10:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:The escape

I remember when I started seeing MacGyver. I was only 7 or 8, and still believed in Father Xmas (I still do, cause for me, thats the spirit of Xmas). I remember when that very same Xmas, I got my SAK. Happy as anything. First use: Canned goods opener.

I was SO happy! Still am in fact

PS: Is just me, or is Xmas getting closer!!! Guess I'll be posting some macgyverisms soon enough! biggrin.gif

In my oppinion, Graham Bell has a lot to answer for. It gets harder and harder to escape from the world, the news and worst of all, people.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted: 22 January 2009 - 07:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

My husband has mine to work on pocket watches. But I know exactally where it is. The tweezers are on it. I used to carry it when I was working the evening shift in a nursing home. open.gif

PM                                                                     
AlanP
Posted: 29 January 2009 - 09:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Episode:

there was one time I was traveling by plane and I had my mini SAK with me. Of course you know we can't carry any sharp objects like a SAK on a plane now, at that time I was late to catch a plane and there's no way to go back my car at the XX terminal parking lot. So I had to hide it somewhere which no one would ever see until I come back (in a week). There is always some bushes and rocks around the terminal building. I grabbed a few tiny rocks and covered my SAK under a bush. The thing was, i had to remember where I hid my SAK. A week later, my SAK was still there at the very same spot biggrin.gif I know my mini SAK didn't worth much but it's a gift from my dad..it has sentimental value to it. However, I lost it while moving sad.gif

My SAK didn't save me from anything, but made my life heck a lot easier...and possibly the people around me easier as well. The mini philips screwdriver is very useful in the house, fixed couple of my friends' glasses. Opened someone's beer bottle with ease. And occasionally cutting packages open. Very handy in cookout/picnic.

My dad had been using his SAK for a long time. I'm sure he has more story to tell. I think he has 4-5 SAKs laying around at home. He likes trailwalking and minor hiking.

Just about a week ago, I got my SAK minichamp (translucent blue). It's such an eye candy. I've no idea what the tiny red LED can do me for, I'm guessing to use it as a mini-torch??? open.gif

Support 'The Unit' on CBS, sunday 10pm :D

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Flyboy16
Posted: 18 May 2010 - 06:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: cadet,sportsman

Favorites
Episode:the hiest

mines was from last year when I was a freshmen and I taught ccd to 4th graders. We were in church and my Adviser for got to give me a pen to take attendance, church had just begun, so luckily I had my Swiss champion plus model equipped with ball the point pen in the plus scales. I just grabbed it from my knife handle and i saw the kids looking at me with amazement. In fact other people needed to use it as well.

The champion is a wonderful companion if you don't mind the bulk. it is thinner than the champ

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Geekgirl
Posted: 18 May 2010 - 06:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: unknown

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Widowmaker

QUOTE (AlanP @ 29 January 2009 - 11:59 AM)
I've no idea what the tiny red LED can do me for, I'm guessing to use it as a mini-torch??? open.gif

The red light is great for nightwork....when I was at the National Observatory for a night sky watch program last March, they gave each of red LED light to use for looking at the starmaps. Your eyes, once adjusted to the darkness, will be able to see just fine with the red light at night for reading. If you had a white light, it would be too bright and it would take your eyes another 30 mintues to readjust to the darkness again.

Red lights are good at night...as long as no ghost stories were told about red glowing eyes and monsters around a campfire with small children blink.gif

“Typical. Just when you're getting ahead, someone changes the odds." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted: 18 May 2010 - 09:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

You're absolutely right about how good the red LED lights can be for providing that little bit of light when you need to work in mostly darkness. I've used one to good effect during nighttime work, underground, and also backstage.

My EDC is a Swiss Memory, which has the LED flashlight -- I have the one with the white light. When I need it softer, I use my fingers as a filter.

-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

macgyversgirl
Posted: 20 May 2010 - 05:41 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Passages

Let me just say that from the moment I walked out of the store with mine it has more than paid for itself. It goes where I go. macsak.gif

PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 May 2010 - 11:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Geekgirl @ 19 May 2010 - 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (AlanP @ 29 January 2009 - 11:59 AM)
I've no idea what the tiny red LED can do me for, I'm guessing to use it as a mini-torch???  open.gif

The red light is great for nightwork....when I was at the National Observatory for a night sky watch program last March, they gave each of red LED light to use for looking at the starmaps. Your eyes, once adjusted to the darkness, will be able to see just fine with the red light at night for reading. If you had a white light, it would be too bright and it would take your eyes another 30 mintues to readjust to the darkness again.

Red lights are good at night...as long as no ghost stories were told about red glowing eyes and monsters around a campfire with small children blink.gif

It's interesting that you mention the red lights at night. I was reading a little while ago that red lights are used in fighter plane cockpits because red light doesn't effect your night vision.

I'm not sure if they're still used because of all the electronics used now, but back in the days when pilots still used maps for navigation, they used red lights so they could read the maps without losing their night vision for looking out the windows to see the ground below and work out where they were.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
beth
Posted: 22 October 2017 - 11:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Mountaineer

Favorites
Episode:

At my class reunion in July a couple of the guys had brought bottled beer with the tops that had to be pried off instead of twist tops but they didn't think about bringing bottle openers. I happened to be drinking Guinness which also has pry off tops. I simply reached into my pocket, pulled out my SAK, opened the bottle opener and TA DA! Needless to say I was pretty popular that night for the guys who had come unprepared. sakopen.gif

Beth

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 24 October 2017 - 04:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Way to go Beth! I can't believe everyone doesn't have a SAK sak.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
beth
Posted: 28 October 2017 - 04:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Mountaineer

Favorites
Episode:

My SAK did it again! My wall clock in my living room stopped working and I fixed it using nothing but my trusty SAK. One of the batteries had leaked and corroded the contact keeping the clock from working. I removed the back with the small screwdriver on the can opener blade and cleaned the corrosion from the contact with the file. Replaced the batteries, and TADA I don't have to buy a new clock! It is keeping perfect time. sakopen.gif

Beth

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 28 October 2017 - 06:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif sakopen.gif sak.gif

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 29 October 2017 - 08:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Episode:The Human Factor

Nice going!

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll