Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:MacGyver 5x01
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 12 July 2011 - 08:25 PM)
Your in a taste category all of your own aren't ya Zito. laugh.gif

Taste is in the eye of the beholder.. or something like that. wink.gif

when it comes to this forum apparently I am! biggrin.gif

I do tend to be overcritical, in the kind of work I do you have to be very critical of yourself and others so I cant switch off even when Im watching my favourite shows. Also Ive noticed that Ive changed a lot in some crucial ways from when I watched macgyver, the world has changed as well, and to me some episodes look a bit dated. This was definitely one of those cases.

Having said that, my excuse card if you want to call it that way, I still dont understand what was good or right about this episode, from any perspective. As a story it was incredibly uninteresting, macgyverisms were at an all time low, and the corny aspect, which sometimes rears its ugly head in macgyver, particularly early episodes, made a full apparition.

I do find it curious, and im not using the word "curious" in a derogatory manner like most people do when wondering why people disagree with them. I do find it interesting why so many people liked it and I didnt. My brother says Ive become the most cynical person in the world, I reckon hes far off, but perhaps to really enjoy some episodes of MG you need to keep those childish eyes, that naive vision of the world to enjoy them.

that sounded condescending enough so I guess my work is done harhar.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 13 July 2011 - 03:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

For me one of the more enjoyable aspects were the one-liners from from Jimmy. I enjoy that kind of quick-witted response humour, so it made the episode quite enjoyable.

I also liked the way Jimmy and MacGyver seemed to really hit it of, especially the scenes at Macs appartment were they play hockey to see who will wash the dishes and Jimmy comments he hasn't washed dishes for years. Also the more quiet moments where we learn about MacGyver's asperations for professional hockey and the scene where Pete turns up at Macs place and starts eating the whipped whatever it was and comments that he prefers it cold when Mac tells him it's suppose to be heated.

So I guess I enjoyed it because it has a lot of little moments throughout which give an inside glimse to MacGyvers life and interactions.

For me it's not always about the story.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dr Zito
Posted on 13 July 2011 - 05:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

that relationship between jimmy and mac seemed to me forced and over the top corny. I just couldnt believe any of their interactions, the ending also was so preachy. I'm finding harder and harder to believe in these kind of reformed-happy endings in the real world, and in MG they seem constantly hitting the sickly sweet note.

But I appreciate your explanation Rockateer, I know can undrstand why people liked it, even if it didnt quite make it for me.

BTW since I mentioned my work I'm a writer and editor so I probably pay too much attention to the stories and dialogues.

P.S: can you see my avatar? I can only see a frog and a imageshack error message

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 13 July 2011 - 09:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Dr Zito @ 14 July 2011 - 02:56 PM)
I'm finding harder and harder to believe in these kind of reformed-happy endings in the real world, and in MG they seem constantly hitting the sickly sweet note.

I can see your avatar as a picture of Zito

It's not real life though. That's the whole point. It's an 80-90's TV show so in order to enjoy it you have to switch back to that mode and appreciate it for what it is/was.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dr Zito
Posted on 14 July 2011 - 01:59 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites

yes but since it isnt a scifi show you need some kind of connection to reality, in this episode some of it seemed implausible to unusual degree, even for an american tv series of the 80s.

didnt you find the lack of macgyverisms troubling?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 July 2011 - 11:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yes but since it isnt a scifi show you need some kind of connection to reality, in this episode some of it seemed implausible to unusual degree, even for an american tv series of the 80s.

didnt you find the lack of macgyverisms troubling?

Driving cars, using phones, wearing normal clothes, eating drinking normal food and drink, getting hurt when you fall over or punched, bleeding or killed when shot.. these aren't connections to reality?

There have been other episodes with less macgyverisms than this one so that really didn't bother me and the few MacGyverisms it had were cool enough to make up for it anyway. biggrin.gif

For some reason I really like the scene with MacGyver sitting at his computer looking up Jimmy's file. I have no idea why I like it, but I do. Maybe it's one of those rare glimpses of domestic normal every day life MacGyver *shrugs*

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 21 August 2012 - 07:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

Many of the things that I really liked about this episode have already been debated here, but there are some things worth mentioning.

For starters, I never cared too much about hockey, (even though I grew up in a highly profiled hockey city, hehe, the irony). But watching Mac/RDA on the ice is pure joy, since you can really see it's his element, he enjoys it so much! smile.gif

As several of you have already mentioned, this episode provides an insight in Mac's daily life, and his "strange" food habits... though I remember alfalfa was the ultimate health food of the 80's.

Though I doubt it would be that easy to hook up the car phone to the car electronics system, and make it lock the doors like that, I did enjoy that MacGyverism (along with the priceless "The car will go now, I suggest you go with it" comment. laugh.gif)

I can definitely understand why Mac would engage himself so much in Jimmy's case, considering his own family situation. And despite that Jimmy had been lying to him, Mac still did everything he could to help him out in the end!

The writers of this episode also remembered Mac's fear of heights--I just love the scene where he tries to calm himself down after climbing the elevator shaft.

With all these bits combined, "The Eraser" really shows what a human, warm hearted and caring person Mac really is. Though not one of my ultimate favorites, and not really an "excellent", I'll vote a strong "Good."

PM                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted on 27 February 2013 - 02:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist
Jacket:  Black leather

Many of the things I really liked about "The Eraser" that have already been discussed here. But I have some things worth mentioning. I think this episode provides us with at least some insight into Mac's daily life. And I doubt it would be that easy to hook up a car phone to the car's security system. And to make the doors lock themselves. I did enjoy that MacGyverism as well as the priceless "The car will go now, I suggest you go with it". roller.gif I can understand why Mac would involve himself so much in Jimmy's case. And even though Jimmy lied to him, Mac did everything he could to help him out until the end. And I'm very happy the writers still remembered Mac's fear of heights. And I like the scene were Mac tries to calm himself down after climbing up the elevator shaft. I like how "The Eraser" shows the human side of Mac. And shows how Mac is a very warm hearted and caring person. Not my favorite, but still a good episode.

Overall Rating: 9.5/10 duct.gif sakopen.gif MacG.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 19 July 2013 - 06:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 30 April 2009 - 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (MacNymph @ 7 October 2007 - 05:41 AM)
I just watched the episode again, and all you do is hear it and can't see if he actually said something else and they dubbed it....

Quite clear on my copy. He says "That's bush!"

Might be referring to the referees' officiating skills as bush-league. The ref would get his meaning.  happy.gif

Yeah I was channel surfing last night and stopped on a channel just in time to hear someone say "that was bush league!".

I then had to look it up and find out what the term means because I've never heard it before.

For our non-US members it means "Below good standards, not good or incorrect. Pitiful, poor, terrible, awful, bad,Amateur performance"

So Nymphys assessment would be pretty accurate I reckon. It's a polite way of telling the Ref he made a crappy call. laugh.gif

Yes 'bush league' as in the bush or about as far as you can get from the refined officiating of the pro leagues that operate in the larger cities of the world. Was a common barb used in that era .... you don't hear much today, the kids now have much sharper, potty tongues ....

A very good episode that appeases we sport oriented fans as it starts with hockey and ends with baseball. Sandwiched in between there is decent plot of cold war business and underworld muscle.

Joe Santos was a strong and veteran character actor by the time this episode was produced and doesn't disappoint as a 'Jimmy the hitman', btw. Do check him out in 'The Rockford Files' as Sergeant Dennis Becker - an excellent TV series that ran through the mid to late 1970s. The Rockford and MacGyver characters have some strong similarities imo.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 20 July 2013 - 12:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners
Jacket:  Brown bomber

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 20 July 2013 - 02:02 PM)
Do check him out in 'The Rockford Files' as Sergeant Dennis Becker - an excellent TV series that ran through the mid to late 1970s. The Rockford and MacGyver characters have some strong similarities imo.

RDA agrees with you and even mentions the show in this interview when talking about how MacGyver hurts his hand when he punches people.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 26 July 2013 - 04:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

I really love the scene where we see MacGyver sitting at home in front of his computer looking up details about Jimmy. I'm not really sure what it is, but the whole scene from when Pete turns up and we see Mac sitting in front of the computer just seems cool to me...I keep going back and watching it. Must be in a geeky mood lately. laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 1 August 2013 - 08:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

MacG.gif one of the best, jimmy portrayed by veteran actor Joe Santos was excellent. I liked the story line of a professional hitman wanting out. Jimmy sees his violent past as a bad choice morally and wants to make amends. The chemistry between Mac and Jimmy was great and Mac wants to help jimmy start a new life. Of course Jimmy's mob associates wish to retire him permanently. The Macgyverisms were pretty good.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 15 August 2013 - 09:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 27 July 2013 - 12:15 PM)
I really love the scene where we see MacGyver sitting at home in front of his computer looking up details about Jimmy.

I agree there's something about that scene... Maybe because he's not rushing to fix a problematic situation or anything - it's a common thing that feels very normal and unscripted and relaxed that I can actually relate to for once wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
John Litteral
Posted on 28 January 2014 - 06:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:changes often

I've always loved this episode, I always loved Jimmy the Eraser!

He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted on 17 July 2014 - 02:24 AM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

Larchmont Hardware in 1977

Attached Image
Attached Image

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted on 15 October 2015 - 05:56 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity

Did you know that this episode airs exactly one year after the Pilot episode?

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Mr Duct Tape
Posted on 12 January 2016 - 10:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Episode:

the highlight of the episode is the new friendship between Mac and Jimmy.

also that scene with Pete eating that white stuff was funny.

mac's new flat is really cool

smile.gif

3/5

"Ok hotshot, so you got yourself a golden brown palomino between your legs, and NO reins. Now what?"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 4 December 2016 - 02:30 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 October 2007 - 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (MacBeth @ 3 October 2007 - 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 October 2007 - 02:58 AM)
After watching RDAs recent interviews and hearing his potty mouth..

Aw, c'mon, aren't you being a little hard on him? There are times and places where salty speech is the natural dialect and four-letter words are ignored as standard parts of speech

Yeah but non of them include dropping the F bomb in a TV interview or calling Colm Meaney a Bastard (because he owes RDA money) on morning TV w00t.gif

"Colm Meaney? he's here? He owes me money! B*****!!"

For real, or joking?

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
RadiantRose
Posted on 4 December 2016 - 02:39 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: lots of blades

Favorites
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck

QUOTE (Dr Zito @ 13 July 2011 - 05:53 PM)
that relationship between jimmy and mac seemed to me forced and over the top corny. I just couldnt believe any of their interactions, the ending also was so preachy. I'm finding harder and harder to believe in these kind of reformed-happy endings in the real world, and in MG they seem constantly hitting the sickly sweet note.

But I appreciate your explanation Rockateer, I know can undrstand why people liked it, even if it didnt quite make it for me.

BTW since I mentioned my work I'm a writer and editor so I probably pay too much attention to the stories and dialogues.

P.S: can you see my avatar? I can only see a frog and a imageshack error message

Jimmy showed that he no longer wished to be a cold-blooded killer.

He explained that he had been haunted (not literally) by at least one of his past killings.

He proved that he had changed and was thus rewarded. Mac believes in redemption.

"They have no idea how well they cast this."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
uniquelyjas
Posted on 11 April 2017 - 05:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope, and Charity

I really enjoyed this episode. I LOVED all the great quotes and one-liners from Mac and Jimmy! Too many to mention! I also like how the series, as a whole, varies the pace of the episodes. High-paced, exciting, full of Macgyverism shows are great, but I think I would tire of watching if all the episodes were like this. Just like in real life, we all need some "down time". It's nice seeing a different side of Mac and I think it adds a lot to character development which is what gets me hooked on a show. If I don't like the characters, I don't enjoy the show.

Jody~

"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable" ~ MacGyver (The Heist)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sylvain1888
Posted on 20 November 2020 - 03:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 29 May 2022 - 06:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

If nothing else, I appreciate the contrast between Jimmy and the kind of hitmen we usually see on MacGyver. This is the show that gave us Piedra, Axminster, Deborah, and of course Murdoc. Compared to those guys, it's nice to see a guy in his fifties with a bum knee and not much to show for his career (not to mention the prison time) waiting around a kitchen table with three younger and dumber versions of himself wondering how the hell he ended up here and how far he's fallen from what he dreamed of as a kid.

I appreciate how simple but effective the tradecraft is, too. No elaborate disguises or sniper shots from three thousand miles away. He just hangs out at his target's known haunts pretending to be a different person until he finds somebody who'll bite, then follows him home.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted on 29 May 2022 - 04:34 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Twice Stung

Exactly Hannibal!

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 30 May 2022 - 03:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Hannibal_Smith @ 30 May 2022 - 03:38 AM)
If nothing else, I appreciate the contrast between Jimmy and the kind of hitmen we usually see on MacGyver. This is the show that gave us Piedra, Axminster, Deborah, and of course Murdoc. Compared to those guys, it's nice to see a guy in his fifties with a bum knee and not much to show for his career (not to mention the prison time) waiting around a kitchen table with three younger and dumber versions of himself wondering how the hell he ended up here and how far he's fallen from what he dreamed of as a kid.

Yes. I think one of the shows strengths was that is showed the humanity in all (well most) of the characters.

It showed how everyone has a story, a journey which has made them the person we see in front of us.

The old "Walk a mile in another persons shoes before you judge them" kind of thing.

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll