Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat

I totally agree with Rocky's assessment. Word for word!

So, do you think it's worth the price, Loth? I'm really torn... And I really don't want to go though hassle of reselling the sets that I have just to get the movies (of which I already have from a *mumblemumbleTORRENTmumblesnort* site and have yet to watch...)

And,

Has anyone else sent a (scathing, but polite) *ahem* letter to Paramount? I haven't got a real answer yet. Just the "We've recieved your mail, bla bla bla, yadda yadda" form letter that companies send. And that was before I saw these pictures.

My Season 1 set has "The Complete First Season" only... not "Original Broadcast Episodes" anywhere on the box. I'm really disliking Paramount right now...

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 07:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

one of the problems is determining who's actually responsible.. Is it paramount or is it CBS (who now own Paramount)?

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 07:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber

I'd say that the Complete Series Collection would good if you haven't already invested in buying the individual season boxes.

If you already have them, paying out for the collection again is kinda steep, even if you haven't got the movies.

I have a feeling that Paramuck is going to be receiving a lot of strongly-worded letters and emails concerning the CSC. wink.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 07:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Another thing to consider is that the 2 movies are not like the series. They don't seem to follow any conventions set out in the tv series, non of the characters from the show are in either of them except MacGyver himself nor do they appear to follow the same time line of the show.

The comparison imo is that of the original StarGate movie to the SG:1 TV series.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 08:22 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity

Thanks, Loth for the pics and the assessment. I'll be holding onto my current collection and putting my $$ toward a convention ticket for a certain event next August.

This discussion has been very helpful and informative while I was trying to make up my mind.

As far as the packaging goes, geez, even my son's Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs are packaged nicer.

Stupid Paramount. Stupid CBS. mad.gif

They both SUCK!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Reptile
Posted: 29 October 2007 - 03:08 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Gauntlet
House:  Apartment

Hmm thanks for pics, for me it doesn't look soo horrible but yes it is very cheap packaging dry.gif

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 29 October 2007 - 03:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I guess I don't have much choice. No new releases since the fourth season early this year. They're really waiting for that collection.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Reptile
Posted: 29 October 2007 - 05:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:The Gauntlet
House:  Apartment

QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 29 October 2007 - 12:35 PM)
I guess I don't have much choice. No new releases since the fourth season early this year. They're really waiting for that collection.

maybe, on amazon.co.uk you can too buy this set but it's the same as on amazon.com (NTSC, Region 1)

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
trtlsoup
Posted: 29 October 2007 - 08:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode: Widowmaker

QUOTE (Rocky)
one of the problems is determining who's actually responsible.. Is it paramount or is it CBS (who now own Paramount)?

Oh darn... never thought of that...

I wrote to the email address on the box, which was Paramount. We'll see, I suppose.

QUOTE (Loth)
I'd say that the Complete Series Collection would good if you haven't already invested in buying the individual season boxes.

If you already have them, paying out for the collection again is kinda steep, even if you haven't got the movies.

I have a feeling that Paramuck is going to be receiving a lot of strongly-worded letters and emails concerning the CSC.

Well, I've invested in all 7 seasons (actually, some were gifts from the spousel unit, so I don't know how he'd feel about me trading in his gift. unsure.gif )

Paramuck roller.gif

"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

Old Fan
Posted: 29 October 2007 - 04:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

So... the "Special Features" disc contains the 2 movies only - nothing else... no "Behind the Scenes, no interviews , no outtakes, etc... hummmmm...

I still don't know about purchasing the set. I may hold out for the 2 movies to come out separately (probably never will happen)

Agree with previous comments - very poorly designed box - especially protection-wise for the discs - as Rocky pointed out. This is an expensive item - and Paramount (now - whatever they call themselves now - CBS or whatever...) is CHEAP!!!! to have put this package together like this. (Who knows - with the nitwits working there now, maybe they think it's wonderful) Penny-wise and pound foolish, I say!

Blah!

mad.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 03:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Reptile @ 29 October 2007 - 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 29 October 2007 - 12:35 PM)

maybe, on amazon.co.uk you can too buy this set but it's the same as on amazon.com (NTSC, Region 1)

I'm region 2. Going to wait anyway, can't be that long anymore.

I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 06:12 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)

So what's your final assessment Loth?

Are you happy with your purchase or are you suffering from buyer's remorse?

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 06:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (MacNymph @ 30 October 2007 - 09:12 AM)
So what's your final assessment Loth?

Are you happy with your purchase or are you suffering from buyer's remorse?

The Collector in me is delighted to own an official release of the movies.

The Accountant in me is annoyed about the lack of quality of the CSC and the fact that the Packrat in me want to keep all the sets instead of reselling them.

Packrat won't even let me get rid of the old VHS taped-from-SpikeTV episodes that I still have! happy.gif

I don't do Regret... takes too much energy away from maintaining my Dignity when I'm talking about RDA. tongue.gif

jackwabbit
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 06:43 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

As a recent purchaser of the boxed SG-1 set, I also will not part with my other discs.

And I still have The X-Files on tape from fX, despite owning them on DVD.

You never know, man...you might need that!

"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 01:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 31 October 2007 - 03:41 AM)
Packrat won't even let me get rid of the old VHS taped-from-SpikeTV episodes that I still have! happy.gif

I can help with your pack-rat problem.

user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
macphoen
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 02:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Do the TV movies include the CBS/Paramount logo in place of the original Paramount one?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 03:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

*Conducting research.... * tongue.gif

The disc in introduced with a CBS DVD logo.

At the end of both movies there is a copyright by Paramount Pictures, then a Gekko Film Corp Production logo, followed by Winkler/Rich Productions, and finally ends with an association with CBS Paramount Television.

MacGyver
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 05:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Hey, thanks for the pictures, Loth!!! At last that cures my burning curiousity to see what the package actually looks like on the inside. It does look pretty cool somewhat- but I do think they might have done a better job on the packaging. I don't know how long it will really hold up. I don't know why they didn't just stick the existing Season box sets into that one bigger box.

But anyway, I'm also curious about the silver discs thing. I have noticed that on a MacGyver Season 1 set (used) that I saw for resale at a video game store. But when I got my replacement set for Season 1, it still had all the original artwork that I remember from the initial release.

I'm also still curious about the "edited episodes" warning on the complete box set. Have you been able to figure out if there are any edited episodes? (Beyond that one scene in the "Pilot", that is)

PM                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 05:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

By the way, regarding the quality of the MacGyver episodes (and this applies to all the individual Season sets and the Complete Series box set)
I found this thread on the Home Theater Forum (www.hometheaterforum.com)
that may be of interest.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showth...hlight=MacGyver

The thread is basically people questioning (and complaining about) the quality of the MacGyver DVDs- and I found some information in there regarding remastering DVDs that might help explain a few things for people like me who don't really know much about it.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 06:56 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Theres some interesting comments there regarding that MacGyver was shot on film but then transfered and edited to video tape. meaning they had to use the video tapes as the master copies.

I didn't realize that they transfered the film to video for editing, although it does make sense.. videos a hell of a lot easier to edit than film is.

I, like the people in that thread, can't see Paramount going back to the film stock and re-editing all the episodes all over again to improve the quality. Although there are other digital methods which could be employed to enhance the already edited images.

edit: That might be an explanation for the edited episodes being use dint he first release too... Maybe the edited had better quality?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted: 30 October 2007 - 08:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

That could be a reason- however Paramount probably decided it was better to release the full series unedited, if they learned anything from the release of ALF on DVD. (That one's not a Paramount property- but when it was released, apparently the original masters were in bad quality- so only the syndicated versions were released on DVD because they were deemed to be of better quality. So all 4 seasons of ALF are on DVD- and they are all the syndicated, edited version- and so you can bet a lot of ALF fans are seriously upset!)
So at least MacGyver was released with unedited episodes (for the most part- the scene in the "Pilot" episode notwithstanding) and that's something anyway.

PM                                                                     
MacNancy
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 10:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: camper

Favorites
Episode:The Legend of the Holy Rose
Vehicle: Truck

Mac's Chick:
Gee...now I'm really conflicted. I'd still love to have the movies, but to buy the whole series again just to get them (not to mention the still poor quality...)? Then again, some of my Mac DVDs seem damaged. They just freeze at certain parts of the episode, and I have to take the disc out again, fast forward through the frozen part, and watch the rest without that missing scene. sad.gif Fortunately, it's only on a few of my discs, but it's still frustrating. I swear I took good care of them, too. There aren't any scratches or fuzz on them to account for this strange "freezing" of the frame, and my DVD player is new and plays everything else fine.

Hi Lothithil,
Just popped in and saw your pictures you posted on that new MacGyver package. Thanks So Much for taking the time to post those pictures. smile.gif I agree with everyone. After seeing those pictures, I don't plan on buying that either. It's too pricey for me, not to mention what poor quality the packaging is. I think that's a shame the way they did that. And considering there are NO special features on them, I definitely won't buy it. I taped those two movies when they first aired on TV, so at least I have them on tape. That's better than nothing! I wish Paramount/CBS Would put the movies out separately. But it looks like they were in a hurry to release this package and didn't care about how they packaged the disks! What a shame! :-(

Btw Macs Chick, I have the same problem with some of my MacGyver dvds. Some of them tend to freeze up too. Our dvd player is a few years old, and I called this man who works on dvd players, and told him that our dvd player froze up sometimes. He said it could be that it needed to be cleaned, that they get dusty on the inside too, as well as the outside. So maybe your machine just needs cleaning. But I have taken good care of my disks too, and try to keep them clean. So it could be your dvd player needs cleaning. Just a thought.

Thanks Rocky for telling me about this thread. I think that really sucks that Paramount/CBS ripped us off on this MacGyver package. I agree, when you said they could have done it better. And to have the disks play in such poor viewing quality, that's a shame too. I know it's an old show, but at least they could have redone the quality of the shows. mad.gif All I can say is that they won't be getting any of my money! I too can only hope that if enough people send back their boxes and complain more to the company, that Maybe they will put those movies out separately. Let's keep our fingers crossed! Too bad we can't write to Rick and tell him how everyone got ripped off! Maybe he could do something about it. This is definitely a bad reflection on Paramount! :-( I hope they do get a lot of Steamy letters! It will serve them right! ;-)

Take Care,
Sincerely,
Nancy

"I'm a cliche'....Life's too short...I'll burn out soon enough. I don't need to expedite the process." RDA on E Entertainment.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
j12752
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 05:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I have just bought the new complete series. I too was horrified at the packaging, it's absolutely horrible. I haven't checked all the episodes, but this version's Thief of Budapest has the missing scenes the original offering didn't. It was a pleasure to see the movies on DVD, and Trail looks great, though Atlantis is not as good as Trail. i also noticied in some spots, the picture kind of "hesitates" as it does when the tape is old, but they are not enough to be noticiblally distracting. Season 1 did seem brighter than the original DVDs, I guess they cleaned it up. Either way, I'm never giving up my original VHS recordings of the as it aired series. Considering how many little commercial blurbs there are for Macgyver during that, I don't understand why they couldn't have added all of them onto a "special features" thing. Like RDA saying Happy Holidays to the fans at the end of the Madonna as he's planting a tree, or when he promotes "Macgyver's Women" dressed in period costume, and my personnal favorite, when he plugs Macgyver moving to monday night along with Monday Night football, and dons a headband with "Macgyver" written on it ala Jim McMahon of the Chicago Bears.

perfectlykevin
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 06:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Can I say "all?"

I'm late to the party, and plan to get the boxed set only because it'll be cheaper than buying each season seperately.

My question though is, how likely is it that Paramount/CBS will decide to release a better version of the boxed set, with extras, bloopers, whatever at some future date? Has that ever happened before?

Thanks,
Kev

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 06:38 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (perfectlykevin @ 1 November 2007 - 09:09 AM)
My question though is, how likely is it that Paramount/CBS will decide to release a better version of the boxed set, with extras, bloopers, whatever at some future date? Has that ever happened before?

Seriously doubtful that they will make a special release with extra stuff. mellow.gif I've never seen or heard of any such distribution.

I'd give a kidney to see a collection of backstage bloopers or auditon tapes! I don't understand why Paramush/CBS won't go the extra mile. dry.gif Phooey!

MacGyverOnline
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 12:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

My question though is, how likely is it that Paramount/CBS will decide to release a better version of the boxed set

Well lets see...

First they released each season individually with no extras

then they release a full series box set with the 2 movies as extras

next a "Special edition" box set with interviews, out-takes etc as features.

blowup.gif

It's hard to know what Paramount plan to do.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGod
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 03:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well lets see...

First they released each season individually with no extras

then they release a full series box set with the 2 movies as extras

It's hard to know what Paramount plan to do.

Call me crazy, but let us hope so.

PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 04:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

I just found this little quote from a review of the box set on the NewsReview.com web site.

QUOTE (NewsReview.com)

Now, if you’re the type of person who needs a fancy box and special features to buy a television show on DVD, then MacGyver: The Complete Series is not for you. One of the most basic sets ever released, this 39-disc collection comes in a no-frills case and is utterly devoid of special features. That seems unfairly annoying, but the meat of the product remains intact and doesn’t disappoint. All of Mac’s adventures can be yours for around $135.

dry.gif Tell me about it!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Vader
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 04:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Given Paramount's treatment of the series up to now, I think we've seen the final release of the series (except, hopefully, someone there will grow a brain and release the TV movies seperately)....sad.gif

Peace... Vader

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

PMEmail PosterAOL                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 3 November 2007 - 04:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages
Jacket:  Black leather

Yeah MacNancy, I've thought about cleaning my player. The thing is...it's new! Also, I don't have a problem with any of my other discs. I'm just hoping it's not the quality of the Mac discs already deteriorating. sad.gif Maybe cleaning it would do the trick.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll