Disclaimer      

All stories in this forum are the intellectual property of the respective authors. These works may not be copied or re-presented in any way what-so-ever with out the express permission of the respective author of the work. These writings are written for the enjoyment of fans and are not intended to infringe upon any copyrights or trademarks owned by Paramount Studios, agents of, or persons authorized to act on behalf of.

Please read the Fan Fiction Rules before posting your fiction.

>> Fan Fiction Index <<

Mishka, ch 18, PG, romance/adventure, tag for Gold Rush
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Lothithil
Posted: 29 March 2010 - 09:36 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

MacGyver pictures credited to Mac's Your Man.com
'Gorodisch' photo credit to Lisa's MFU Library

And BIG THANKYOU!! to Beth--the worlds best Editor and Beta Reader
All my profuse thanks!
-Lothi

user posted image

The wind was picking up; it fussed at MacGyver's clothes and wrestled with his hair as he walked along the boulevard. The sidewalks were busy with people, the roads alive with cars and scooters; the Olympic Trials were in full swing and Helsinki glittered in the perpetual soft sunlight.

Mishka
chapter eighteen: Getting Russian

MacGyver kept his pace casual and unhurried, in spite of the fact that he felt as if there were a large target painted on his back. The plaster cast encasing his left arm was heavy, awkward and conspicuous. He didn't know if he was being followed; he forced himself not to look over his shoulder as he meandered purposefully along the thoroughfare on his way to the Finnlines Ferry terminals. The locker key Pete had given him was in his pocket, but he wished that his friend had given him more details about where he would be going. He'd heard Stockholm was nice this time of year.

He sidestepped a man wearing a tray on a neck-strap, hawking Olympic souvenirs. Rows of tiny golden bears winked in the sunlight, and Mac's thoughts turned at once to Natalie. The memory of the words she had written on that matchbook fought their way to the front of his mind.

She wrote that she was sorry… sorry for what? For leaving? For stealing my papers? For being a KGB mole? Was she lying all along, and I was just too stupid and smitten to realize . . .

Mac thought over the last few days, over every moment that he'd spent with Natalie, trying to identify some sign of manipulation. But he couldn't think beyond the memory of her violet-blue eyes and golden hair, and the ridiculous twinge of jealousy he'd felt for the tiny golden bear pinned over her heart on that warm cashmere sweater. He couldn't believe that she'd planned to betray him all along. There had to be some reason—something she hadn't told him about.

He looked in the direction of the hotel, wistfully. If he could speak to her just once more—

Something caught his eye, something suspicious behind him among the vendor kiosks and wagons lining the boardwalk leading to the Ferry. The bittersweet thoughts of Natalie were washed away in a surge of cold reality as, with a visible jolt, MacGyver's attention was wrenched back to the mission at hand.

Mac became intensely interested in a display of sunglasses. He plucked a pair from the rack and slipped them on, tag fluttering over his nose as he tilted the mirror to see back over his shoulder. There. A pair of heavy-looking men in heavy clothes—no, three of them—loitering in a loose group some yards behind him. And a car, a dark sedan idling amid a menace of exhaust fumes; it squatted among the gray taxis with their yellow domes, looking obviously out-of-place.

Mac returned the sunglasses to the display, spinning the panel as if searching for a different style. Ahead of him, he could see people and traffic flowing along the many landings. A stream of cars were departing from a newly-docked ferry, people fanning out, some running toward the waiting taxis while others hurried to be ready to board the same ferry before it left again.

Standing stock-still among the rushing, animated people, two more grim men guarded the entrance to the ferry terminal.

Sandwiched between the groups of men, and walled on one side by the white-capped bay, Mac had only one other way to go. The mouth of a small alley opened among the storefronts beyond the street.

Seeing no more conspicuous obstacles, he moved on, trying to keep groups of people or vendors' stands between himself and the men behind him. There was an alley opening up on the left, some yards ahead; if he could reach it…

As soon as he began moving toward the alley, one of the men started purposefully after him. His bulky companion caught his arm and drew him back. Mac slipped around a flock of children, then crossed the street quickly; he didn't want the kids to get caught in the middle of things—should things start to get unpleasant. The men watched him, anxious but maintaining their distance.

The throaty belch of a powerful engine filled Mac's ears, and he stopped short and spun around just as a motorcycle zipped toward him. Rubber squealed as the driver braked hard, tires skipping across the asphalt. The helmeted head turned toward him, the tinted visor reflecting MacGyver's surprised face. A gloved hand raised the visor, and Gorodisch's blue eye winked at him. "Get on!"

Mac straddled the back of the bike, wrapping his right arm around the driver's midriff to keep himself from being flung off as the machine leaped forward. He pulled his long legs up with difficulty as they wove through the traffic, setting his heels on the rear footpegs.

The motorcycle dove through the narrow gap between two cars, disregarding the traffic lines delineated on the blackened road. MacGyver hunched down in the draft of the body in front of him, peering behind them through watering eyes.

The dark sedan swung out into traffic after them, causing pedestrians to dive out of the way.

"They're on our tail!" Mac shouted.

The driver answered by twisting the throttle; the bike lunged forward again. Gorodisch's voice drifted back to Mac's wind-abused ears. "Hold tight!"

MacGyver did, and was glad for the warning as they sped forward at a breakneck speed, whipping past the other vehicles as if they were parked instead of moving briskly along a busy street. Car horns bleated in protest, and shouted invectives were lost under the roar of the motor and wind. The black car was swallowed in the snarl of traffic left in their wake.

MacGyver continued to cling to Gorodisch's leather-clad figure while the motorcycle plunged through alleys, whipped over sidewalks, tore down streets, until the waterfront was far behind them and they were deep in one of the residential sections of the city. Gorodisch cut their speed to a more sensible pace, allowing Mac to shift his grip. Mac took hold of the man's belt with his right hand; his left arm, heavy in plaster, balanced on his knee.

Just about the time MacGyver was drawing in a breath to shout in his ear, Gorodisch turned the cycle into a screened lane. He cut the power and coasted the last few yards; they rolled heavily over a carpet of dry leaves and twigs until they stopped. MacGyver jumped off the bike and followed as it was wheeled behind a fence overhung with ivy. Behind the fence, there was a car.

Gorodisch pulled off his helmet to reveal a mop of sweat-dampened blond hair and a grim smile. "They were waiting for you. Why would they do that? Unless they know what you are really carrying, and how and where – and if that is the case, then we are both going to need passports!"

user posted image

"Well, mine is in a locker at the ferry... and I don't think they're gonna let me inside to get it." Mac tapped the cast on his arm. "What's in here is too valuable to risk going back and asking nicely."

"I have a few tricks up my sleeve, as well. I have some papers that will work for us, and we can evade the KGB at the airport," Gorodisch said, as he cajoled the little car's engine to life. It roared with unexpected energy, and MacGyver began to suspect that there was something more under the hood than what the manufacturer had originally placed there. "They shouldn't be waiting for us there."

"They shouldn't have been waiting for me at the ferry," MacGyver fidgeted with his cast, watching the scenery slide by sedately as Gorodisch drove. "They must know that the papers that Nat – that she took – were planted. Why else would they be following me?" Realization pulled his face into a long look. "She told them. I can't believe she told them that, too."

Gorodisch glanced at MacGyver, brow arched high as he noted his companion's misery. "You truly cared about her. I am sorry, my friend—this is no business for caring. Everyone is either an asset or an enemy."

"I'm not in that business!" MacGyver bit back. "I'm a courier—not a spy."

"Semantics makes poor armor." The hardness of Gorodisch's reply did not reach his eyes. "The KGB will not make such a distinction if they find you carrying our little secret." Mac ceased fingering the cast. "We must also discard the assumption that they will not risk detaining you. That means we have to get out of the country as discreetly as possible."

"'We'? Of course. She'll have told them about you, too." MacGyver didn't try to hide his bitterness.

"She is Russian," Gorodisch shrugged as if this was all the explanation necessary. "She will do her duty to her family and her country. In that, is she so different from you and your countrymen? Am I?"

MacGyver turned to stare back at him, but found himself uneasy under the man's bemused regard. "I suppose not. I really wouldn't want to be responsible for any pain to her. Or her family." He lifted his chin in a jerk. "Her country can take care of itself!"

Gorodisch let a chuckle escape. "Now you are truly sounding Russian!"

MacGyver snorted. "Whaddya mean I sound Russian?"

"A certain combination of philosophical fatalism and gallantry, which I have rarely encountered outside my native soil." Shooting MacGyver a bright grin, he added, "You know… Russian."

MacGyver's answering snort became a snicker, and Gorodisch's chuckle grew into a guffaw. Soon they were both laughing, their car speeding along the busy avenue leading out of the city toward the Helsinki International Airport.

xoxoxox

The laughter had faded to thoughtful silence long before the traffic swept them along the lane that curved past the airport terminals. Blocky-looking cars squatted on the greensward on either side of the entrance.

"Uh… they don't look like airport security to me," MacGyver drawled.

Gorodisch muttered something Slavic and untranslatable. "It seems we have been checked. Again."

His foot descended on the brake—forcing MacGyver to brace himself against the dashboard to avoid kissing the windshield—and slammed the car into reverse. He reached his arm over the seat and began to navigate the car backwards against oncoming traffic. Car horns shouted in protest, their screams changing pitch as they swerved and spun around to avoid them.

MacGyver winced as two cars collided with each other. "They're following us," he announced, "or rather, they're trying to. People are getting hurt!"

"They will live. A few bumps and bruises, perhaps. We, on the other hand—if captured—can expect a different experience. Hang—" Gorodisch twisted the wheel and the car slewed to one side and reversed 180 degrees. "—on!" Now they were racing down the road forward, against traffic.

MacGyver didn't think this was much of an improvement. "So they're watching the ferries and the airport. What are our other options? We can hardly drive out... backward or forwards!"

Gorodisch grimaced his amusement. "Hardly. We can try to find a private boat—lose ourselves in the Baltic and try to make it to Sweden. Or Estonia—though that might be problematic for you, my friend.

"But we are pointed in the wrong direction for that. We could drive as far as the Russian border—but would also be ill-advised. Unless you can speak Russian. Without an accent?" He rolled his eyes toward MacGyver, who shook his head as he watched out the back window. Gorodisch laughed. "Heh. You can't even speak English without an accent."

"Hey."

"A pity," Gorodisch continued as he yanked the car around to exit the highway, bouncing over curbs and slicing through decorative foliage, "other than language, you could easily pass as Russian."

"What? With my fatalism and philosophical heroism?" MacGyver scoffed. "Think it might take a little more'n that."

Gorodisch squinted at him. "You're right. You'd need a mustache, too. And a haircut."

"Will you be serious? And can I take this ridiculous thing off? I don't think I'm gonna to be quietly flying out through the assisted passenger zone." He lifted his casted arm and wiggled his fingers.

"No time to cut it off." Clusters of residential houses gave way to long meadows and increasingly thick stands of trees. They had left the city behind. "Right now we need to concentrate on finding—"

Gorodisch's words were lost in the scream of tires on gravel as he stood on the brakes. The car fishtailed to a stop in a great cloud of dust.

MacGyver coughed and waved his hand in front of his face, eyes watering. When he could see again, he blinked and gaped, lost for words.

"—an alternate means of transportation!" Gorodisch concluded his sentence, smiling widely.

"You have got to be kidding," MacGyver groaned.

user posted image

~tbc

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Geekgirl
Posted: 29 March 2010 - 10:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: unknown

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Widowmaker

oh, I just read this on ff.net....much better with the pictures over here though.

So, you aren't going to keep us waiting too long to find out what the alternate mode of transportation is, are you? It's not a camel, is it? tongue.gif

Another great chapter! Poor Mac, he's passionate like a Russian, isn't he?

“Typical. Just when you're getting ahead, someone changes the odds." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 29 March 2010 - 07:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Geekgirl @ 29 March 2010 - 12:02 PM)
oh, I just read this on ff.net....much better with the pictures over here though.

So, you aren't going to keep us waiting too long to find out what the alternate mode of transportation is, are you? It's not a camel, is it? tongue.gif

Another great chapter! Poor Mac, he's passionate like a Russian, isn't he?

biggrin.gif Thank you, GeekGirl! Your words fill me with glee!
I'm so glad that the illustrations add to the fun smile.gif

Camels indeed! roller.gif

Traveller
Posted: 30 March 2010 - 04:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears

Wonderful chapter, Lothi. Full of nice action, this one. And the tension builds.
I was thinking you'd eloped with Illya, but I'm very glad you're still faithful to Mac.

As for the transportation: they left the city behind, they're in the fields, so I'm thinking tractor..

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 30 March 2010 - 09:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (Traveller @ 30 March 2010 - 06:50 AM)
Wonderful chapter, Lothi. Full of nice action, this one. And the tension builds.
I was thinking you'd eloped with Illya, but I'm very glad you're still faithful to Mac.

As for the transportation: they left the city behind, they're in the fields, so I'm thinking tractor..

biggrin.gif (((T))) It's just a fling... you know how those international spies are!
(they're great under cover... but ya can't take 'em home to meet the folks!) wink.gif

laugh.gif

Traveller
Posted: 30 March 2010 - 10:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Episode:Trail of Tears

roller.gif

Mac and Illya'd love to be with you, too.
You're such fun!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jaebird
Posted: 5 May 2010 - 11:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Strictly Business
Jacket:  Black leather

Love it! Can't wait to see what happens next! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 5 May 2010 - 11:41 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

QUOTE (jaebird @ 5 May 2010 - 01:35 PM)
Love it! Can't wait to see what happens next! biggrin.gif

Thanks, jae! biggrin.gif Soon, hopefully... as soon as RW releases me from this choke-hold! boxing.gif

Kim
Posted: 9 November 2011 - 04:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Victorinox

Favorites
Episode:Prisoner of Conscience

Hi, just wanted to send a gentle nudge to Loth to finish this...

*sees Loth sprawled on the floor*

Oops, maybe not so gentle. whistle.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted: 27 November 2012 - 09:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

Great story, but I have to admit I am ready to add my little *nudge* too. I am just getting to reading the fanfiction recently (new to the site) and the stories are amazing!!! I really liked the 3 muskateers too!

This one just needs another chapter to help us poor cliffhangers though...!!
*nudge, nudge* wink.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted: 3 May 2013 - 11:52 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

Nudge nudge...?

I've really enjoyed this one, would really like to know how it ends! biggrin.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Posted: 17 June 2013 - 10:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Hi I'm new to the site and am really enjoying the story. I notice this last entry was 3 years ago!!! Will there be another installment?! I'd really love to read what happens next.

Also, while the story is very riveting, MacGyver hasn't done anything macgyverish yet. Will that be in the next installment?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Karenskatz
Posted: 23 April 2021 - 07:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: TINKER!

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:umm......

I just read 18 chapters of a wonderful story, only to find you ended it on a cliffhanger TEN YEARS AGO!!!!!

Please please PLEASE finish this story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad.gif

When it comes down to me against the situation, I don't like the situation to win. Angus MacGuyver

If you're gonna to be a hero, sometimes you gotta do stupid things. Rocket J. Squirrel

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll