Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Good Knight Macgyver
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Loft

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 5 November 2007 - 05:04 PM)
I really dislike episodes of any show where the main character is injured. I like my heroes at full strength.

Well spoken. But I don't totally agree. This might sound dememted, sadistic, or something like that, but I like it when a character is injured because I like to see what they come up with when they're not at their best. It's also interesting theo see what their friends do.

It also might be a girl thing.

(MacGyvergirl @ 5  2007 - 05:13 PM)  Funny how we split on this issue of injured vs not along gender lines. 

I've noticed before that many of the female members really identify with the vulnerability while many of the males identify with the strong healthy kick butt hero. 

Duct Tape: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the world together.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 22 May 2009 - 12:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

I agree. Especially since Mac is Mac. It gives the other characters a chance to show what they are like, and what they are capable of in times of stress. As Mac onces said how come he always has to figure the way out of a jam, why can't a women be just as MacGyver as MacGyver. Nikki showed she could do it.

PM                                                                     
lucsch
Posted on 31 May 2009 - 12:57 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I actually like this one a lot. I love all the episodes, but this is one of the ones I'll watch again and again. I love watching RDA with kids. It brings out the best in him, I think.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Geekgirl
Posted on 30 March 2010 - 04:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: unknown

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Widowmaker
House:  House boat

I voted Excellent on this episode. I really liked the acting by RDA...yes, I'm a bit of a sucker for wounded heros. He did a great job driving a manual transmission left handed and showing the pain from the wound. Did anyone else notice the eyes rolling back in his head during that scene? I actually caught a glimpse of the whites in his eye, before he passed out. Great scene. Only downside was having to explain what cauterize meant to a seven year old.

I love the episodes where he works with kids. Loved the fact that he gives Ahmed something to think about by not killing the russian soldier. The fact that all life is valued and that he didn't have to kill him is a great moral lesson, maybe even more so today.

My kids even liked this one...my son now wants to use the fire extinquisher from the kitchen to break open rocks.

Overall, a great episode...lots of action adn great acting.

“Typical. Just when you're getting ahead, someone changes the odds." - MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Dr Zito
Posted on 12 October 2010 - 11:31 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:MacGyver 5x01
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I voted poor, I think Im the first one. Really one of my least favourite episodes. The suspension of disbelief in this episode is just too much for me. The slingshot is actually a very difficult weapon to use accurately.. with two arms and in perfect health, even for people with experience. Mac was wounded and his background doesnt exactly infer that he had much previous experience with it, so hitting the rider at his first shot.. well for me it just set the absurd tone of the episode, whcih already was kind of exposed with mac piloting a jet! I know mac is supposed to be a jack of all trades but why would he be an airforce pilot with his dislike for weapons and wars? then of course you have the afghani countrykid speaking perfect english, the hayloft scene which screamed for the russian to shoot then ask questions, and the rock cliff scene with the perfect timing and the russians parking the jeep just below the cliff.

But Im not looking for realism obviously when watching macgyver, I think the main problem was that it wasnt a really interesting plot for me. Too much message and too preachy for my liking. I may have to look at my listings, but this goes down as probably amongst the worst MG episodes in my book.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 25 March 2011 - 07:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Actually MacGyver wasn't flying the jet. If you watch closely he's reading something every time we see him so the plane is on auto-pilot.

But we do see in later episodes, that MacGyver can fly planes. Final Approach, The Odd Triple both show him piloting planes and didn't he pilot a plane in Legend of the Holy Rose as well? (can't remember).

I actually watched this the other night and found it enjoyable enough to watch, it's certainly pretty far down on my list - probably close to the bottom actually, but I watch it seldom enough that the few times I do watch it, it can be enjoyed.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted on 31 March 2011 - 08:29 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

I watched it for the first today today and I vote it as being okay. I was, of course, worried when our hero was injured but you kinda know that everything will be okay.
The episode was pretty slow and slightly boring, though.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 31 March 2011 - 11:24 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

yeah it is a pretty slow movie episode and really not much of a story line.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lsalzman
Posted on 15 July 2011 - 10:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:To Be A Man
Jacket:  Black leather

It would be nice if all our movies had some kind of positive message to benefit all mankind. I think a lot of people to to react instead of acting on their instincts. How many people really take the time to reflect on their actions and who it may have affected. I guess this is why I really like this episode of MacGyver due to the teaching or message being given.javascript:emoticon(':D')

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 9 August 2012 - 04:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

This episode is another definite favorite from season one.

I, too, wonder if they actually created (or adjusted) this script because of RDA:s injury. Anyway, they all did a great job, since it does feel very plausible.

I am also one of these hurt/comfort junkies who enjoy watching their favorite characters in pain or sick or injured, as long as they're being comforted or treated for their injuries. Watching characters that I care about getting hurt and not being offered comfort/proper treatment always makes me feeling depressed or despaired.

What felt really heartwarming about this episode is that Zia cared for Mac despite her situation, and he was able to offer his help in return.

The cauterization scene was very plausible--aw, poor Mac! I can't even imagine the pain, and it was really great acting from RDA.

When Mac is well enough to walk around, you can see that RDA is trying to hide the fact that he's actually is wearing a cast, not just a bandaged hand.

Anyway, my second "Excellent" so far. smile.gif

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 16 November 2012 - 11:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

I really liked this episode. I do seem to like the episodes where our hero is hurt/injured greatly. Perhaps I'm sick too? unsure.gif After all Mac is human, not superman. Since the bad guys are very often shooting machine guns at him eventually he has to get hit and be injured. I really thought they did a good job of hiding/incorporating RDA's injury into this episode. The cast was obvious and visibly worked into the episode "Every Time She Smiles", but they disguised it well during this episode. Though for the close-ups of hands they had to use a double to hide the injury until after the hang-glider wreck. I cringed when I saw the "landing" of the hang-glider...man that guy hit hard!! RDA's acting was fabulous in this one, especially the cauterization part...OUCH!!!

I admit it was a slower action episode, but I like the variety of putting the slower ones in to break up the pure adrenaline episodes all in a row. Besides, with RDA's injury it was likely easier to incorporate a slower episode while he healed. I wonder if he got the injury during the show or in his active personal life? Could be either since he was very active in both.

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 30 December 2012 - 02:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

Here's an interesting comment from a doctor about cauterizing bullet wounds.

This is from Outside Magazine's "Hollywood Survival" articles , a magazine covering outdoor adventure,travel and sporting activities.

QUOTE (Outside Magazine Article)
THE EXPERT SAYS: “That’s Hollywood, for sure,” says Nester. Anyone who attempts to cauterize a wound like Rambo is just sealing in a possible infection.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 20 March 2013 - 06:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Episode:

This is one of the better episodes of Season 1, imo. I'm a big fan of the Afghan (ongoing) War depicted on screen and this particular story is screened and depicted very well. Additionally, this one scores big with us Trekkies who can not help but be impressed by Persis Khambatta's guest role and the Vasquez Rocks connection in the same episode! Wow, way too cool! Mac's at his best improvisational self of course, and wounded to boot - who would expect anything different!?

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 21 March 2013 - 02:38 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

I liked this episode too, especially with the addition of Persis Khambatta.
I think I'm right in that she died really young - heart trouble, was it? Shame sad.gif

Good story and I also thought they did a good job of hiding RDAs broken arm!

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 21 March 2013 - 05:50 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Yes, very sad. It may well have been somehow related to a car crash she had in 1980, I don't know ... but apparently she had a heart bypass operation a few years after that accident.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

NewMacFan
Posted on 7 August 2013 - 11:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Does anyone know how RDA broke his arm before this episode? I know that it was broken in real life and that's maybe why they "took it easy" but I can't find any info anywhere on what really happened. Thanks!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 7 August 2013 - 02:40 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 22 March 2013 - 01:50 PM)
Yes, very sad. It may well have been somehow related to a car crash she had in 1980, I don't know ... but apparently she had a heart bypass operation a few years after that accident.

A quick look on Wikipedia found this...

In 1998, Khambatta was taken to the Marine Hospital in south Mumbai, complaining of chest pains. She died of a heart attack on 18 August 1998 at the age of 49.

Persis Khambatta, Movie Actress, 49 - New York Times

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 7 August 2013 - 02:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (NewMacFan @ 8 August 2013 - 07:26 AM)
Does anyone know how RDA broke his arm before this episode? I know that it was broken in real life and that's maybe why they "took it easy" but I can't find any info anywhere on what really happened. Thanks!

Hi NewMacFan,

I have a vague recollection of seeing something about it, but I'm not sure if it was that break or one of his many others. Most of his injuries seem to be from hockey so it's probably a good beat that he injured in a game.

PM                                                                     
Scwilson
Posted on 7 August 2013 - 08:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Episode:Pilot
House:  Observatory

jeep.gif I liked the homemade glider scene. Mac hiding from the Soviets made for a good episode.

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 7 August 2013 - 09:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 8 August 2013 - 10:54 AM)

I have a vague recollection of seeing something about it, but I'm not sure if it was that break or one of his many others. Most of his injuries seem to be from hockey so it's probably a good beat that he injured in a game.

Thanks for your post KiwiTek, I keep coming up with hockey when I search too, but they all seem to be related to his injuries that made him quit hockey in his teens, not anything about injuries during his acting career... gotta love those crazy hockey players biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 13 August 2013 - 01:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (NewMacFan @ 8 August 2013 - 07:26 AM)

I'm pretty sure someone else on here said it was a skiing accident.
Have a poke around on the discussions for this episode and the couple preceding it, it's in there somewhere...

Then again, it could have been hockey - RDA has a 'knocks and scrapes' list to rival Evel Knievel... whistle.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Joe SAKic
Posted on 13 August 2013 - 05:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah, probably skiing (or perhaps while on a ladder) - a far more dangerous sport/activity. I played some very competitive hockey over 30 years (at college and the senior level) ... and never lost any teeth, nor suffered a broken bone, or even a cut bad enough to require a stitch. Sure it can get rough at times, but the excellent (expensive) equipment is there for a reason and protects you very well.

Having said that, I might add the game has changed immensely over the past ten years. Of particular note, the skate technology has made the game much faster, the (pro) players much larger and with more muscle mass, and the hockey stick technology more efficient in propelling the puck much faster.

Also the equipment is made of a harder material these days and combined with the above mentioned data and (not so) recent rule changes (in particular the elimination of the center line for passing the puck which further speeds up the game) has culminated in more injuries and in particular many more concussions.

There's been many studies done on how to lessen the load and slow things down a tad .... but jury is still out and something must be done soon - to lesson the F=MxA equation factor.

KiwiTek
Posted on 13 August 2013 - 06:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 14 August 2013 - 01:16 PM)
to lesson the F=MxA equation factor.

The F in that equation stand for Fracture laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 13 August 2013 - 07:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 14 August 2013 - 01:16 PM)
I played some very competitive hockey over 30 years (at college and the senior level)

I know this is off topic, but as a fellow hockey lover I just have to say that I absolutely love your user name! laugh.gif Go SAK AND Sakic!! biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 13 August 2013 - 08:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Back on topic, I have to say that I voted excellent on this episode. It is definitely one of my all-time favorites (maybe because it was one of the first I saw?? Isn't it weird how the first ones we see often tend to be some of our favorites? Okay, back on topic again...tongue.gif) and although it is much slower paced and not even close to being as funny as some of my other favorites, I too am one of the self-confessed fans of "MacWhumpage" biggrin.gif . I like when main characters get injured once in a while because it seems much more realistic than the ones that waltz through dangerous situation after dangerous situation and never come out with barely more than a scratch. Absolutely FANTASTIC acting by RDA!!!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
NewMacFan
Posted on 13 August 2013 - 08:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I wonder if the writers had already written this script and RDA just HAPPENED to have a broken arm or if they had to write it specifically BECAUSE of his arm? That wouldn't give them a lot of time to practice the episode before filming. hmm.bmp

Back to his real broken arm though - I just find it odd that I can't find anything about it online somewhere, usually you can find out that sort of stuff about actors...

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 14 August 2013 - 12:53 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (NewMacFan @ 14 August 2013 - 04:30 PM)
I wonder if the writers had already written this script and RDA just HAPPENED to have a broken arm or if they had to write it specifically BECAUSE of his arm? That wouldn't give them a lot of time to practice the episode before filming. hmm.bmp

My guess is the first one, because they made a valiant attempt to hide it instead of incorporating it like they did in 'Every time she smiles'. That said, it's not likely that a troubleshooter, even one as good as Mac, would have been sent on such a dangerous assignment with a busted arm and so they really HAD to disguise what had happened...

RDA makes a good job of hiding it - he uses that arm a fair bit before Mac gets shot down. Then again, it must have been pretty much healed by this point - it's the third episode in which he's got the cast on it!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 14 August 2013 - 10:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck

RDA does use the arm a lot in the early part of the episode, but still has a cast on. In any of the face or full body shots if you look close you can see that the skin is never exposed on the right arm between the glove and sleeve. Plus his wrist doesn't bend. The close-ups where he's using his hands early in the episode must be a double.

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 14 August 2013 - 12:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Yes your right Mela. You have to look pretty closely to see it though.

There is one aspect which they goofed up on though.... MacGyver was shot in the shoulder and it made pretty clear that this is the only injury he had, so why does he have a cast on his arm ? laugh.gif

PM                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 14 August 2013 - 02:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 15 August 2013 - 08:32 AM)
There is one aspect which they goofed up on though....  MacGyver was shot in the shoulder and it made pretty clear that this is the only injury he had, so why does he have a cast on his arm? laugh.gif

I'll have to watch it again to be sure but when Mac is clearly in pain, I'm pretty sure Persis Khambatta's character asks him if it's his shoulder or his arm that's hurting him, implying that he'd damaged both...
I'll check and confirm hmm.bmp

They're definitely trying to hide the cast though, so it's a clear mistake on their part whenever it's noticeable... doh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll