Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

user posted image

001 - Pilot

Airdate: Sept. 29, 1985
Writers: Thackary Pallor
Director: Jerrold Freedman (as Alan Smithee)

Guest Cast: Michael Lerner as Gantner , Dana Elcar as Andy Colson , Paul Stewart as Dr. Steubens
Michael C. Gwynne as Dr. Burke , Olaf Pooley as Dr. Sidney Marlow , Shavar Ross as MacGyver's "little brother:
Darlanne Fluegel as Barbara Spencer.

Opening Gambit: MacGyver rescues a downed Air Force pilot from his Mongolian captors.

MacGyver is called in as a last hope to stop a deadly acid leak and save scientists trapped in an underground lab by a mysterious explosion.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 02:14 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

I just voted good and I'll tell ya why in a minute....Overall it was an excellent start! It really sets the tone for the whole series, in spite of the gun inconsistency...but, hey...it was the pilot...you can expect that. I loved the opening gambit and the voiceovers...something I would've liked to have seen more later in the series...love getting inside Mac's head! I can see at first it being a handy way to help us get to know the character and to sneak in some of his background...but later on it would've still added to the show. I love the "I want that back" line...shows his optimism and his trust in it...like it's the first thing he reaches for in a jam. wink.gif

unsure.gif laugh.gif I'm sneaking back in to finish my post...and no one even noticed I never said why I just voted good! tongue.gif Hubby needed the phone and supper was ready...I never got the chance to say!

Anyway...I only voted good, cuz...well, it just generally irritates me when girls (and guys) have no qualms about getting lip-to-lip with someone they only just met and don't know. Every time I see it, I'm like, C'mon...get on with the good stuff! laugh.gif

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 02:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)

I always wondered from the first time I saw this - Why would a person trying to sneak in to a camp full of armed soldiers wear a bright red bobble hat??
I know he changes it when he gets a chance but still.... isn't it a bit silly...and risky? unsure.gif

Despite this, and the dubious dodgy looking sulphuric acid that MacGyver and Spencer seem to have no problems breathing in the fumes off, I really liked this episode. laugh.gif It was a good introduction to MacGyver and, if I’d have seen them in order, after viewing this Pilot I would have definitely kept an eye out for future adventures with this different and special kind of hero. word1.png

I vote good. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Tygr
Posted on 13 April 2007 - 12:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Easy Target
House:  Loft

I like in the opening scenario where he tosses his knife to the prisoner. That was an awesome toss! ohmy.gif And his comment is funny; "I want that thing back, you know." tongue.gif

'Tis unwise to wake the Tygr.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." - Psalms 23:4

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                                                                     
Old Fan
Posted on 28 April 2007 - 04:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity

What struck me as unusual was the fact that we get to see the beginings of Mac's (can you say RDA's) sense of humor in the pilot episode. Sure, he was attending to serious business, but the light/humorous tone that was uniquely Mac's was set up here, and it allowed him to be an approachable/vulnerable hero rather than beating us over the head with a "macho" attitude. Afraid of heights, doesn't like guns, interesting background... I wanted to know more about this guy right from the start. I loved this episode.

biggrin.gif jeep.gif

That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.

I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
abacab
Posted on 5 July 2007 - 04:35 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Traveller

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode: The Invisible Killer
Vehicle: Truck

I must say, I enjoyed the pilot tremendously when I first viewed it. However, I'd only seen one episode of Mac prior to that ("Good Knight MacGyver") so I didn't know what I was up for. Since seeing it for the first time, I've seen every season more than once, and I have some new opinions about it.

The pilot is supposed to be the building ground for the rest of a series. It's normal for a pilot to be somewhat different from the rest of a series, but this one is off the mark. There's themes introduced and never brought back ("It's not for what I take, it's for what I find along the way"), character points seen and gone back on later (Mac and the AK), entire characters and settings that never returned (the observatory, Shavar Ross, the federal guy whose name I cannot remember) and so forth. As well, there's far more MacGyverisms than in later episodes, which may be a good thing depending on your point of view, but I feel that in some cases here, plot and especially realism was sacrificed for something that looked cool. I would be able to ignore these points were the episode good, and I don't think it is. Don't get me wrong- I don't think it's bad, either. But when you put it in the entire series, this episode is up against some serious competition. It would be a solid stand alone episode (this is how series get sold!) but I don't particularly care for it in the context of the total series.

The pilot does have its good points: I liked Anderson's performance even with the underdeveloped character, and Dana Elcar turns in his usual superb straight-man work. The Spencer character is one of the few parts here that really did set the tone for every similar character later, and Darlanne Fluegel's performance is fine. There are some quotable lines (the SAK bit, and "Think it's time for a smoke."), and a somewhat memorable opening gambit (mixed feelings on these- more around The Gauntlet.) And some of the MacGyverisms are too cool to complain about, particularly the laser, the candy bars and the morse code. But this episode isn't exactly series caliber. (I have friends who saw the pilot and then never watched another episode of the show, one because they hated the pilot, and another because they thought the pilot was all you needed to see.) It's just... what's the word? Hey... OK! Yeah, it's OK.

My rating: 4/10

"I didn't think you'd be one to go for whipped bean curd." -Mac

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 7 July 2007 - 06:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:

This episode has to have the highest number of MacGyverisms for any episode doesn't it?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Sheepy
Posted on 8 July 2007 - 12:06 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

I always wondered from the first time I saw this - Why would a person trying to sneak in to a camp full of armed soldiers wear a bright red bobble hat

Yeah, I too always wondered about that! And a bright blue jacket.

I voted good. It wasn't brilliant, but it did trigger my curiousity to watch the rest of the series. And that's what pilot's are for. For having fun!! Oh no, talking about different sort of pilot there biggrin.gif

Overall it was better than okay, so good.

They dealt with heights and shooting a gun... later it would come back as things he hated.

MacNymph
Posted on 8 July 2007 - 09:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I thought the Pilot was excellent as a stand alone show. Now watch as I nitpick it down to a “good”.

Join me, won’t you?** Where you see an ? I’d love an answer or an opinion if you have one. Some of them are nitpicks I would love explaining and others are just general questions.

1. How many places in Central Asia look like Utah? Seriously.. Are there places in Central Asia that look like Utah?
2. By the time the camera panned around the cliff, Mac did not have time to climb the rest of that rock face. Time lapse we’ll say?
3. Forget the red had and the blue jacket. Why didn’t Mac remove those bright blue, quite removable, boot covers?
4. Why didn’t those three guys standing 10 feet away from MacGyver, one of which looked directly at him, notice the aforementioned? Or any of them on the mountain top for that matter?
5. Good on the pilot for having crash landed on the edge of that mountain top. LOL
6. Why have the “Asians” set up camp around the downed plane and bomb? Shouldn’t that have been hauled off somewhere…. Real quick?
7. Why whent Mac and the pilot are running away, did Mac not slow himself or the pilot down when approaching the cliff edge? Did he not just climb up that thing? MacGyver got short term memory problems? That pilot about slid off the edge. LOL
8. The flare gun. Possibly lamest -ism in series?
9. When the car pulls into the Keeva Laboratories, the angle it pulled in couldn’t possibly match the interior/filming angles.
10. Why is there an ongoing chess game set up in the middle of a busy lab? Shouldn’t that be in someone’s office?
11. Are those two old goats deaf? I can hear the timer counting down? Why can’t they?
12. Why is MacGyver hanging out on the roof of the observatory? Repairs? Handyman? Just curious.
13. I laugh every time I see Mac light up those cigarettes and choke… then proceeds to exhale out his nostrils. RDA is/was a hard core smoker at some point.
14. Two of the lead ins to -ism were just too hokey. “What’s that sound?” “It’s me Mac, I was just taking a sip of water.” “WATER!” and “It’s not your fault Mac, you did everything in your power.” “Spencer, you’re a genius.” LOL
15. Is MacGyver wearing dog tags?
16. When someone asks if there’s another way around… what idiot refers to the nickname “The Gas Chamber” when they are in such dire straights instead of just saying what it is?
17. The guy playing Charlie Burke is laughable. You can see actual relief after he makes it through the techno-babble dialogue about the need to fuse the substrata rock bed.
18. Why does Burke seem irritated when Gant tries to warn Mac about the impending missile launch? And why didn’t he warn all concerned earlier?
19. Anyone wonder if that “Spencer gosh darnit!” wasn’t a dub? And something else was originally said?
20. What’s up with all the unnecessary kissing? Seemed. forced.

Things I loved:
The on the run -isms. Set up the crux of the character that would follow through the series.
The fluidity and purpose with which Mac works, all the time not taking himself so seriously.
The SAK. “Hey! I want that knife back, ya know.”
How things don’t always go exactly as planned and he rolls with the punches.
Ed Gantner. Would have loved to see that character return.
Dana Elcar. Glad they brought him on board.
How Mac isn’t too full of himself. I hate it when other action heroes through a stupid quip in after an “action”
2 x “God I heights.”
MacGyver’s general (or not so general) knowledge.

Things I miss:
The opening gambits.
The voice overs.
The nitty gritty MacGyver. He was more proactive early in the series.

Points of interest for Rocky‘s database:
MacGyver drinks coffee. At least it looks like coffee when he tosses it.
MacGyver appears to be wearing dog tags.
MacGyver eats chocolate.

Memorable quotes
Spencer - “Don’t tell me you know how to make a bomb out of a stick of chewing gum.”
Mac - “Why, you got some?”

Mac referring to his SAK - “Hey! I want that knife back, ya know.”

Mac - “The bag’s not for what I take . It’s for what I find along the way.”

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 8 July 2007 - 06:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (MacNymph)
Points of interest for Rocky‘s database:

Ahhh yes.. the assignments database smile.gif

I really should start work on that... before someone else steals the idea.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 8 July 2007 - 08:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

The "Pilot" episode of MacGyver is great!!! Okay, actually it's excellent, because that's what I voted!
Um, let's see- we have cool opening gambit wherein MacGyver defuses a rocket bomb with a paperclip! cool.jpg
And makes a rocket thruster from the gun to escape off the mountain with the pilot- yeah, that was cool.
And the actual episode sets the stage for everything to come- MacGyver stops an acid leak with chocolate bars- MacGyver blows out the laser - MacGyver sets up an explosion to get to the scientists- and of course, MacGyver knows Morse Code, as I would expect him to. Tons of MacGyverisms abound, of course.
But even though that's the main draw, as such, I've found that through watching the whole series that really isn't the only draw. MacGyver is multi-faceted and has a lot of qualities that I like about him- he rarely curses (and I would say almost never past the first season), he doesn't condone smoking, drinking or doing drugs, and he hates guns! That was definitely different in the 1980s. Especially in the era of great cartoons like G.I. Joe where there's guns flashing all over the place, and shows like Hunter and the Dirty Harry movies and such- MacGyver was a great antithesis to all that. He still fought for justice and got the job done- but in a much different and creative style that encouraged actual thinking!
What else can I say? MacGyver is my favorite show ever!
The "Pilot" is excellent- and so are the other 138 episodes and the TV-movies.
biggrin.gif word1.png sak.gif duct.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 8 July 2007 - 09:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6

I voted ok. I didn't hate the show but I didn't rave over it either. The first time I saw it, I liked RDA, but I wasn't real impressed with the writing or the dialog in the show. I still gave MacGyver a chance and continued watching the show. Happily it lived up to expectations and improved over time.

The MacGyverisms were pretty cool, but I did have a hard time with the chocolate bars. The believability of some of the MacGyverisms is harto take when you have a background in chemistry.

I liked the earlier edgier version of MacGyver where he drinks coffee like the rest of us. Those little things make him seem just a little more real, more human.

Nymphy, its not uncommon for lab people to have some kind of running game going on in the work area. When I was a lab tech in the pharmacology group and we were doing animal studies, sometimes we were in the labs for 6-7 hours. We would play Pictionary, cards, whatever, to help pass the time.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 9 July 2007 - 07:34 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacGyverGrrl @ 9 July 2007 - 05:31 PM)
Nymphy, its not uncommon for lab people to have some kind of running game going on in the work area.  When I was a lab tech in the pharmacology group and we were doing animal studies, sometimes we were in the labs for 6-7 hours.  We would play Pictionary, cards, whatever, to help pass the time.

Yeah I know that. Don't even get me started on the stuff we used to do at work happy.gif

It's just this situation. In an underground highly classified government facility, it's a private game being played by "tele-fax". Which means there's a move every once in a while by a person whose not even on site. rolleyes.gif Just erked me.

dry.gif Well it was just plain out contrived for the story line, I reckon.

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 9 July 2007 - 11:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

Well, I'm one of the few people that came into the series later on (now if I only could remember which episode - heck, which season it was I saw first) so I didn't watch the pilot until much later. And hence I did not watch it for deciding whether or not I shall watch the series, since I already did that with much enthusiasm.

All in all, I like this one pretty much. There is never a boring moment, it all happens very fast, you don't get much time for taking a breath in between. Especially when the countdown is ticking at the end.

I like it right from the start, this great zoom in into the wall with Mac hanging there, whether or not there are blue jackets and red hats. I just always liked to see Mac climbing.

All the other actors are also good, you can feel the tension in the air. I still hold my breath when at the end this man stops the rocket just in time.

I also like Spencer. Yes, the kiss at the end is farfetched but I can overlook that since she is not one of the women that are only calling for Mac for help, but taking part into the rescue pretty good herself.

But I really wondered what Mac would have used for closing the leak if there hadn't happened chocolate to be lying around. Why did he not at least gather some intel about what he was up against from the guy that gave him the job before he went in there? Isn't it better to be prepaired a little?

The only scenes that compare badly with the rest of the pilot (at least in my opinion) are the ones with Mac and the boy at the observatory. Especially since neither him or it was ever seen again. Yeah, I know, it's a way the writers used to introduce him and to show us that he a) is great with kids and b) still is one himself and is living a little unusually.

But from the time Mac sets foot into this laboratory I'm totally hooked.

And last but not least: He is so very YOUNG! *sigh*

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 9 July 2007 - 02:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

16. When someone asks if there’s another way around… what idiot refers to the nickname “The Gas Chamber” when they are in such dire straights instead of just saying what it is?

What else would you call it?

But I really wondered what Mac would have used for closing the leak if there hadn't happened chocolate to be lying around. Why did he not at least gather some intel about what he was up against from the guy that gave him the job before he went in there? Isn't it better to be prepaired a little?

Because thats the whole premise of MacGyver.. he uses what he finds along the way. And he couldn't get any info from the guys up top, because they didn't know what the situation was in the lab.

I like this episode. I think it achieved its goal of showing what was all about. The man you go to when there's no one left to go to. And also showing how he uses things around him for MacGyverisms, which was the reall selling point of the show.

I really like the line from Gantner at the start "we ran some searches and your name came up."

I can't help thinking though that the writers came up with the MacGyverisms and then threw a story around them to string them all together. It just seemed to have that feel to it.. like the Macisms where the real story line.

Of course back when it first aired.. no-one noticed any of that.. we just watched and enjoyed. Because we'e never seen anything like it before.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 9 July 2007 - 02:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

Well I can't remember exactly what she said... but what she said right after he asked her huh.gif "What's that?" And she explained it was the nickname for a series of labs between something and something.

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 9 July 2007 - 08:20 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6

The building I used to work in we had a bunch of radiation labs, they were all lead lined with lead lined doors and could be isolated from the rest of the building. We called this corridor Tin Pan Alley.

Our group was known as the Lab Rats. And there was also the Chem Geeks.........

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 10 July 2007 - 01:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 10 July 2007 - 12:46 AM)
Because thats the whole premise of MacGyver.. he uses what he finds along the way.

Yeah, I think that could be a nitpick for the whole series - that everytime he needed something it just was laying around laugh.gif

And he couldn't get any info from the guys up top, because they didn't know what the situation was in the lab.

Well, I thought that there surely must have been more people working in there, that were closer to the surface and so had been rescued already. And since they work there they surely should know what's down there in the labs.

So someone could go to the guy in charge and say "Beware if you go down there, there is a big tank with acid which might be broken so put on your anti-acid-gear and take some chocolate with you".

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 10 July 2007 - 01:54 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Astra @ 11 July 2007 - 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 10 July 2007 - 12:46 AM)
Because thats the whole premise of MacGyver.. he uses what he finds along the way.

Yeah, I think that could be a nitpick for the whole series - that everytime he needed something it just was laying around laugh.gif

Maybe you've missed the whole concept of the show.

He didn't find what he needed.

He used what he found. The whole idea was that it didn't matter what was laying around.. he could still find a way to use it to his advantage. If the chocolate hadn't been there he would have found some other way of stopping the leak.

Well, I thought that there surely must have been more people working in there, that were closer to the surface and so had been rescued already. And since they work there they surely should know what's down there in the labs.

So someone could go to the guy in charge and say "Beware if you go down there, there is a big tank with acid which might be broken so put on your anti-acid-gear and take some chocolate with you".

They already knew about the acid. Remember the conversation about the aquifer and having to flood the whole complex with acid if MacGyver couldn't stop the leak.

Again this relates to the whole idea of MacGyver.. he doesn't need details about whats down there.. he just deals with it as he finds it. This is a theme through-out the whole series... "seat of the pants approach"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 10 July 2007 - 02:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 July 2007 - 12:23 AM)
If the chocolate hadn't been there he would have found some other way of stopping the leak.

I know that of course. Was just joking around a bit laugh.gif

You know, there is a German comedian who is very good of making fun out of the concept of the show - still, as it is with all things, you only can parody something you really like. So, as a MacGyver fan, I'm not offended but can laugh along with the others about the bad guys that are running away "Look, it's MacGyver, he's got some refills, let's run!"

It's the same with the new things Bonnie upgraded K.I.T.T. with and he just could use this particular item later in the episode. What a coincidence!

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 1 September 2007 - 03:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

There's something in this episode which bugs me. Actually I'm pretty sure I've noticed it in other episodes too so it's obviously the way the writers wanted it.. but when MacGyver is dealing with the laser beam in the elevator shaft, someone up top asks what he's doing.

He replies "well I'll tell ya."

but he doesn't tell them a damn thing.. instead he asks them if they've ever seen a scorpion sting itself to death. how is that telling them what he's doing?

I guess it's just one of my pet peeves. But it bugs me no end.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 1 September 2007 - 03:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 1 September 2007 - 06:58 PM)
There's something in this episode which bugs me. Actually I'm pretty sure I've noticed it in other episodes too so it's obviously the way the writers wanted it.. but when MacGyver is dealing with the laser beam in the elevator shaft, someone up top asks what he's doing.

but he doesn't tell them a damn thing.. instead he asks them if they've ever seen a scorpion sting itself to death. how is that telling them what he's doing?

I guess it's just one of my pet peeves. But it bugs me no end.

happy.gif Remember what he shouted to Capt. Taylor as they were plummeting down the side of the cliff just before the parachute opened?

"I'll tell ya later...." Bet he didn't tell then, either! wink.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 2 September 2007 - 05:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Can anybody tell me what tune Mac is whistling while he's crawling through the wiring duct on the way to the elevator shaft?

Sounds like something from 'The Great Escape'...but I'm not sure. smile.gif

MacNymph
Posted on 2 September 2007 - 06:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (Lothithil @ 3 September 2007 - 02:23 PM)
Can anybody tell me what tune Mac is whistling while he's crawling through the wiring duct on the way to the elevator shaft?

Cowboy's Lament aka Streets of Laredo

~ MacNymph ~

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted on 2 September 2007 - 07:44 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Thanks, Nymphy!

*conducts a rapid Googlefest*

Ah! Early evidence of Mac's prediliction for westerns... excellent! cowboy3.gif

MacBeth
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 12:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 1 September 2007 - 04:58 PM)
<snip> when MacGyver is dealing with the laser beam in the elevator shaft, someone up top asks what he's doing.

He's telling them metaphorically. He then uses the lens to direct the laser (made visible by the smoke) back at its own controls -- having the scorpion sting itself to death.

Granted, it wasn't a particularly informative reply in a literal sense; but it was a creative one, and creativity, imagination, and the ability to apply a solution from one area of knowledge (zoology) to another (optics) were all hallmarks of the series and the character.

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

MacGyverOnline
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 12:43 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah I understand that it was an obvious setup by the writers to help explain to the audience what was going on.. But "non answers" like that just bug the crap out of me.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacBeth
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 02:49 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 5 September 2007 - 02:18 PM)
"non answers" like that just bug the crap out of me.

Ahhh, now I know how best to annoy you . . . consider the moon in its phases, and the tides of the sea. Have you ever seen a volcano contemplating eruption?

[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

Lothithil
Posted on 5 September 2007 - 07:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

laugh.gif

For Rocky, the sound of one hand clapping is the sound of him smacking the crap out of someone for not answering the question! happy.gif

It does work in TV, because reiterating wastes time and bores audience-members with very short attention-spans. Does not work so much in real life... especially if you're listening to a two-way radio transmission and the guy on the other end thinks he's a comedian! dry.gif

laugh.gif cool.jpg

MacGyversCrush
Posted on 15 September 2007 - 10:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

I gave it just an ok.

I thought they tried to cram too much into it. Yeah I know they were trying to get your attention. But as an 11 year year old trying to take it in was hard.

Now a days I still think they tried to cram too into it..

Opening gambit.. Yeah the red hat, and the blue boot socks.. All I saw were those blue boot socks or covers.

I did like the observatory with the kid those, but yeah if he doesn't like heights why would he be hanging around the edge of the roof.

Oh and the accent when he was talking about the gyleride (sp) in the chocolate got to me.

There are other things too that I just thought of but I'll leave for the nitpick section.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll