House:  ---

user posted image

002 - The Golden Triangle

Airdate: Oct 6, 1985
Writers: Dennis Foley
Director: Paul Stanley
Opening Gambit Writer: Terry Nation
Opening Gambit Director: Donald Petrie

Guest Cast: Joan Chen as Lin, George Lee Cheung as General Narai, Clyde Kusatsu as Anek, Keye Luke as Prasert, Benjamin Lum as Truang, Bryan Price as Chan, James Saito as Ming.

Opening Gambit: The Crusher
MacGyver tracks down stolen documents and captures the criminals as they exchange the documents in an old car-wrecking yard.

Main Episode
While retrieving a poison-filled canister from a crash site in Burma, MacGyver is forced to take on a powerful drug lord when he is mistaken for a narcotics agent.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 01:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Votes from 10 Oct 2006

1 - Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%]
2 - Average [ 0 ] [0.00%]
3 - OK [ 2 ] [11.76%]
4 - Good [ 7 ] [41.18%]
5 - Excellent [ 8 ] [47.06%]
Total Votes: 17
Archived comments

QUOTE (Sonyab Sep 6 2004 @ 11:46 AM )
Yeah this was a good episode!!! I loved it! He said he had a cousin in this episode but he didn't tell us which family she was from. He never talked about her again. So what happend to her? Did she die? Well obviously she died because he did say later he didnt have any family members.. So how did she die?

Oh another thing when he was tied to that bed thing with the hot sun they showed this guy that looked dead. When Mac cut himself out he grabbed the dead guy's belt I think. How did the guy die? MacGyver couldn't of killed him altho it did cross my mind but who killed the guy?

QUOTE (Rockateer Sep 6 2004 @ 12:12 PM)
I thought the guy was just knocked out?

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 6 2004 @ 12:45 PM )
Good episode. It learns us that plans can backfire and that you'll never know when you get hit in the *pow* face. We learn very little more about his past, his cousin, his mom and broiled chicken. Nice ending too maybe somewhat dramatic but nice. Truang is the worst. Thinks he's all big, bad and tough. Big? Yes. Fat? True too. Bad? Not a chance. Tough? No siree. But most of all incredible stupid. But then again this was only the second episode. So I might let slip this one through the fingers.

QUOTE (Rockatteer Sep 6 2004 @ 06:22 PM )
I loved the scene where the boy watches the chopper take off and cries becasue he thinks his only hope has left him.

Very moving scene. *whipes tear from eye*

The rest of the show was pretty good also... kinda kept the indiana jones feel to the show with being out in the jungle and stuff.

I'm guessing the ladies enjoyed the sun bathing scene and the fact that he wears a tank top for most of the show.

QUOTE (MacGyver Sep 8 2004 @ 02:20 AM )
"The Golden Triangle" is one of the first episodes I remember watching. For some reason, I don't think I remember watching the pilot as a child, but sometimes my memory gets weird and remembers some things from childhood and forgets others. Of course, sometimes I forget things that happened yesterday, but anyway.

I definitely loved the jungle traps that MacGyver helped the people set up. My favorite moment has to be watching MacGyver grab onto the helicopter as it's taking off and keeping the bad guys from escaping.

Yes, I also get a little misty-eyed at the part where the boy runs to hug MacGyver when he sees that he's come back. It was a very cool episode, filled with MacGyverisms and also an early look at how much MacGyver despises using guns. He refuses to teach the people how to use guns as weapons but shows them another way of fighting. I thought that was pretty significant. It's definitely one of my favorite 1st. season episodes.

QUOTE ( zhennu Sep 9 2004 @ 09:24 AM )
I thought when the chopper left, MacGyver wasn't coming back, but I slapped myself silly to get that straight!

QUOTE (MacGyvergod Sep 10 2004 @ 02:56 AM )
But I have to admit that it was neatly camouflaged cuz you can really see him going in the chopper and when the chopper left MacGyver is just standing there with his hands in his pockets.

QUOTE (thyla Sep 21 2004 @ 09:15 AM)
Great epy. With that start (sunbathing, mmmmm....) it can't be bad.
Also loved the ending. RDA seemed quite agile in that fighting scene. A natural athlete. Very nice jumping kick, good stance. Looked like he knew what he was doing (vs. actors who only learn some moves that look good on camera - but this is a whole other topic I can write pages about). We don't see him doing that very often in later episodes.

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 21 2004 @ 10:12 AM)
Did anyone else notice that in the first few Eps he was a good fighter, like he'd been trained to fight. (which you would expect from an ex-special forces agent) and then suddenly changes to doesn't like fighting and seemed quite clumsy in his fighting style?

QUOTE (zhennu Sep 21 2004 @ 10:16 AM)
I slightly noticed that part, Rocka, but I ended up ignoring it saying to myself that he's lost practice (well, I have to disagree...his life has a lot of fighting, which SHOULD keep him in shape and practice! xD). I wonder why though...=/

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 22 2004 @ 02:59 AM)
Usually he only needs one punch. Clumsy fighting style? Well sometimes he didn't hurt his hand, or he didn't care about it that it hurt. Maybe he adjusts his style depending on who he's fighting. Although he could've showed more of his skills as special forces agent. Well in The Golden Triangle and The Stringer you can see he changes his style. In the Golden Triangle he has almost a perfect fighting stance in front of General Narai. Also when he jumps up and tries to kick him and in The Stringer on the ship, when he jumps on that guy. Just look at him when he jumps up and down on his toes and then block, block, punch, punch. KNOCK OUT!

QUOTE (Rockatteer Sep 22 2004 @ 10:13 AM)
The last fight scene in Target MacGyver he has good skills too.

QUOTE ( MacGyverGod Sep 23 2004 @ 01:24 AM)
The Assassin was better!!

QUOTE ( thyla Sep 23 2004 @ 08:41 AM)
I believe this falls under the "afterthought" and developing the character in a different direction than originally planned category (non-violence, anti-gun etc.)

You can see even in later episodes when he is supposed to be "clumsy", as Rock put it, that there is a definite martial arts training there that peeks through. There are several episodes, such as "Target MacGyver", where this is very obvious. I have noticed a certain affinity with the bo (fighting pike) for example.

I think using the "Hollywood one punch" approach was a conscious choice on his part to set Mac aside from other action heroes.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 24 2004 @ 05:13 AM)
Don't you think that is sometimes boring? Bad guys kick good guys bum, good guys solve the whole thing with one single punch? It's good they had some decent fights in the series. But if you look at the moves, they both get equal moves to do. In Easy Target the fight had about 8 moves. 4 of Mac 4 of the other guy. Mac punches him, the guy hits him twice and kicks him twice, Mac punches him three times and wins. OK so there is still the rolling down the hill and throwing sand. But I meant fysical moves.

QUOTE (Rockatteer Sep 24 2004 @ 09:54 AM )
Yes it makes things more realistic if its evened out.

Although I still don't like the way people can be munched really hard and still be able to fight back. Thats abolute rubbish. real fights just don't work like that.

You pack a real puch at someones jaw, and they not going to get up again. Like wise if you pack a real kick at someone your going to break ribs and do internal damage...they may get up, but they won't be fighting back.

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Sep 25 2004 @ 02:41 AM)
Just don't think about the pain but of course that's the only thing you can think about if they really kick your bum. But if someone ever hits me in the face they can expect a punch back.

QUOTE (thyla Sep 25 2004 @ 07:55 AM)
Ok, several points:

QUOTE (rockatteer)
Yes it makes things more realistic if its evened out. 

um.... actually not quite. In most fights (unless it's an organized sports event with certain rules) there is no eveness whatsoever. You don't punch and then wait for the other guy to punch back. There is nothing realistic about that. Go in first, go in fast, get as many hits in as possible and don't stop until you are sure the other guy won't get up.

QUOTE (rockatteer)
Although I still don't like the way people can be munched really hard and still be able to fight back.  Thats abolute rubbish. real fights just don't work like that. 

Actually, you can get hit really hard and still fight back. Of course, there are several factors that are usually present:
- you are trained to be able to take hits. Most people never get hit so when it happens they usually freeze up.
- the attack doesn't catch you in a vital area. Again, it helps to be trained to know which areas to protect and how to protect them.
- don't ever discount the effects of good ol' adrenalin. Police officers can tell you cases where they shot a man several times and he still kept coming at them.

As far as fights in movies. They all follow a certain pattern. The good guy always gets kicked around first, the bad guy uses unfair tactics, but at the end the good guy prevails. Yes it's cliche, but hey, nobody wants to see the hero lose, right?
Also, people have to train to do movie fights. First of all you do not want to hurt the other guy. Second, you have to fight with the camera in mind. The moves have to be slowed down. You have to make sure you do not block the camera angles. The fight is choreographed, etc, etc. There are certain moves that look good on camera (such as spinning back kicks or the infamous swinging hook, otherwise known as the sucker punch) but you would never use them in real life 'cause they are too slow and you'd have your bum handed to you if you'd try to use one of those on the street.

Now look what you've done! Ok, I get off my soap box.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 01:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

QUOTE (rockatteer Sep 25 2004 @ 10:29 PM)
I was refering to the average Joe. Not someone who is trained to fight. I also ment hit hard in somewhere like the jaw or solar plexis, which I guess would fall in the vital area catagory you refer to.

But if someone ever hits me in the face they can expect a punch back.

Ever been hit really hard in the face MG?

QUOTE ( Asbjørn Jan 19 2006 @ 05:03 AM)
Back to the beginning of the episode. ..
This is the one where Mac talks about the dog he had once, isn't it? (the one that had been abused)

- Can anyone find that quote for me? - The stuff he says about the dog and compares it to those supressed people.

And about the fight: Yes, it depends on your training, the camera angles etc, but I'm quite convinced that most ordinary people would get serious injuries from movie- style fights if they had happened for real...

QUOTE ( MacsChick Jan 19 2006 @ 04:10 PM)
I like this one, too...the fight scenes, his decision to stick around and help the whole village, tied up and sweating, oh, and yes...the beach! That shot became the inspiration for my desktop! 

QUOTE (Lothithil Jan 20 2006 @ 03:44 AM)
If my memory serves, it goes something like this...

"A long time ago my cousin Ally got a dog from the pound... part Airdale, part Spaniel... real cute... but she'd been beaten. So all that puppy knew how to do was cower; cringe away from you, expecting to be hit. It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog... it's even worse in a human being."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 7 November 2006 - 02:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity

laugh.gif I currently account for 100% of the votes on this poll! happy.gif

Ratty...you're great for finding and working on restoring the comments! cool.jpg

I voted excellent! So many in the first season are because they are classics! MacGyver goes on an important assignment (were there any that weren't important?) and in typical style finds a side cause...I love it when Mac works with people to change how they view themselves...he helps them find it in themselves to be free and fight for it. And of course, you've got the little kid factor...I love the scene too where he thinks Mac is leaving. sad.gif And I love the tongue in cheek humor when he's asked what he's doing there...

"Tourist?"

laugh.gif

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 9 November 2006 - 02:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

Favorites

ohno-smiley.gif I voted Ok but it was a mistake! headbutt.gif I thought I was in the "Thief of Budapest" discussion! doh.gif sad.gif

I would have voted good, if not excellent if I knew I was in here.

I loved the traps and how he and the villagers managed to defeat several jeeps full of armed soldiers.

It deserves so much better than an OK! sad.gif I might cry!

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Amy
Posted on 10 November 2006 - 05:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2

Awwwww! Well we know how you feel!

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyver_92
Posted on 15 November 2006 - 05:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

QUOTE (Amy @ Nov 8 2006, 10:10 AM)
laugh.gif I currently account for 100% of the votes on this poll! happy.gif

Ratty...you're great for finding and working on restoring the comments! cool.jpg

I voted excellent! So many in the first season are because they are classics! MacGyver goes on an important assignment (were there any that weren't important?) and in typical style finds a side cause...I love it when Mac works with people to change how they view themselves...he helps them find it in themselves to be free and fight for it. And of course, you've got the little kid factor...I love the scene too where he thinks Mac is leaving. sad.gif And I love the tongue in cheek humor when he's asked what he's doing there...

"Tourist?"

laugh.gif

Amy, ya gotta let me borrow some episodes sometime!! biggrin.gif blowup.gif

abacab
Posted on 5 July 2007 - 04:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Traveller

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode: The Invisible Killer
Vehicle: Truck

Ah, it's this one. A lot of people seem to just hate this episode, mostly because they find it boring, overwrought, dramatic and lame. It is. But it has its good points, to be sure. However, this isn't exactly the best way to follow up a series pilot.

The main problem with this episode is probably the performances. Anderson is good, but he's not up to his standard. I liked George Cheung as Narai, and Keye Luke turns in exactly the performance that his fans would expect, but the rest aren't quite as good. In particular, Benjamin Lum as Truang has some major problems, mostly with being extremely dramatic and idiotic. These may have been character flaws, but Lum certainly had his part in the character's failure. As well, the story is a little boring- generic and weak.

The direction is fine, about up to the typical standard. The opening gambit is probably better than everything else- you could have flipped it with the episode, developing its story and reducing the episode's, and I think everything would have been better. There are a couple of impressive moments, but nothing for the record books. Overall, this is a missable episode.

My rating: 3/10

"I didn't think you'd be one to go for whipped bean curd." -Mac

PM                                                                     
MacGyver
Posted on 14 July 2007 - 05:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:
House:  Observatory

Like I said about 3 years ago now, this is one of the first episodes of MacGyver I remember seeing as a child. "The Golden Triangle" is one of my all time favorites!!! There were lots of great traps he helps the people set up and I particularly love the scene where Mac ropes down the helicopter!!! Cool!
And it's one of the earliest expressions of MacGyver's disgust for guns when he refuses to teach the people how to shoot weapons, but shows them a better way to fight.
And I still definitely get misty-eyed at the scene where the kid thinks MacGyver's about to leave, but then is elated when he finds that MacGyver has in fact stayed to help them.
And the opening gambit in the junkyard was great too, of course. The whole episode was really great- with lots of iconic scenes culled from this episode that are used in the opening credits a lot- MacGyver pole vaulting onto that guy in the jeep, MacGyver blowing up the flare, diving under the jeep as the helicopter swoops by and pulling down the helicopter. Overall, this is an excellent episode! clapping.gif duct.gif sak.gif

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 14 July 2007 - 05:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---

Yeah I would say this would be one of those episodes that any newcomer to MacGyver needs to watch, just to get some basic character understanding.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Astra
Posted on 15 July 2007 - 01:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Episode:

Well, if he really disgusts guns, why would he then use the weapons in this other way? Shooting is shooting, and somebody easily could have get hurt or even killed by this arrangement either. All it needs is one wrong touch, and if then somebody was standing in the line of fire... very dangerous, in my opinion! Especially for people that shortly before didn't even know which end the bullets go in.

Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

PMEmail PosterICQ                                                                     
MacNymph
Posted on 15 July 2007 - 02:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

I asked Rocky last night. Why do they need "months of training" if he's not going to let them point the guns in the first place? laugh.gif

Love the helicopter stunt scene. That was kewl. cool.jpg

The rest was 80's television. *shrugs* What can you do? laugh.gif

I voted "Okay" because of all the incredibly bad acting. And I hate it when they dub the kids.

~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverGrrl
Posted on 15 July 2007 - 08:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6

I voted Good. This was actually the first episode I remember seeing. I missed the pilot the first time it aired and caught it on a summer rebroadcast.

The Golden Triangle was the reason I kept watching MacGyver. some of the "acting" was way over the top, and the writing could have been tighter, but for the second episode of a new series, it wasn't too bad.

I can remember that there was some controversy over the show because of the level of violence in this episode. There were some family watchdog groups pitching a fit becasue this particualr episode was considered very violent and aired during primetime family hour.

Its funny now, comparing the level of violence in MacGyver to the shows that air on primetime on network and cable TV. When taken in context of today's TV offerings and the violence in them, MacGyver becomes remarkably tame. I guess 20 years changes a lot.

Overall, its a pretty good episode.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Murdoc12
Posted on 25 March 2009 - 12:37 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Super Champ

Favorites
Episode:The Assassin & Partners
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker

I really like this ep. I mean the acting isn't great, but the MacGyverisms make up for it. I voted excellent.

"In this game almost does not count."~Murdoc

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted on 18 April 2009 - 10:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

very good episode loved it.

SMeeceymouse
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 01:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Just wanted to mention something I heard Mac say in this episode. He said that he had a cousin that adopted a dog that had been beaten. Every time that someone went to pet the dog, she would cower; and that it is sad to see in animals and humans. Don't know if anyone else caught on to that statement. But it perked my ears up. Maybe that is how Young MacGyver came to be.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 02:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 23 April 2009 - 09:18 AM)
Just wanted to mention something I heard Mac say in this episode. He said that he had a cousin that adopted a dog that had been beaten.  Every time that someone went to pet the dog, she would cower;  and that it is sad to see in animals and humans.  Don't know if anyone else caught on to that statement.  But it perked my ears up.  Maybe that is how Young MacGyver came to be.

I think that point as been thrown into the argument once before, but it was decided that you can't get a nephew from a cousin, because nephews are children of your brother or sister, and I think we also agreed that because this was a very early episode, the characters background hadn't been worked out yet.. i.e. Shooting the gun in the first episode.

Thats not to say that the original idea of a nephew didn't' come from that statement, it could very well be that the research for Young MacGyver was simply watching the first few episodes of the show.. in fact I'd go so far as to say it probably was the research.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 02:30 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Mac may have been an older cousin, and used the "uncle" has term of endearment. And if he had a cousin his grandfather on the Mac side had to have a son or a daughter. That would've made them cousins.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 02:45 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 23 April 2009 - 10:30 AM)
Mac may have been an older cousin, and used the "uncle" has term of endearment. And if he had a cousin his grandfather on the Mac side had to have a son or a daughter. That would've made them cousins.

Yeah, but it's made pretty clear in later episodes that he has no family of any kind. So the producers of the Young MacGyver obviously didn't do very much, if any homework on the character.

There was no explanation given in the pilot episode of the show to explain any unusual circumstances... i.e. an unknown family member etc, so they took no steps to explain how MacGyver suddenly has a family member, which indicates, again, that the producers of that show didn't know what they where doing. So it's probably just as well the show wasn't picked up, who knows what other sacrilege's they might have pulled.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SMeeceymouse
Posted on 22 April 2009 - 02:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

It happens all the time in the Soap opera world. The lost the history of the script that was first written. Shame on them.

PM                                                                     
Miasma
Posted on 3 September 2010 - 08:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

Didn't like this episode. I couldn't get past the horrendous acting by everyone involved.

Plus, I don't know if it's just me, but I have a hard time seeing Season 1 episodes as being part of the same series that we see in seasons 2-7. It just feels like a different character. There are things Mac does in Season 1 that I really couldn't see him doing later on. That's not really a criticism, but it does make it harder to watch some season 1 episodes.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Ad Hoc
Posted on 11 January 2012 - 12:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Compact

Favorites
Episode:The Negotiator

There is only one thing about this episode I dont like so much and that is Truang comes across as too much of an idiot (I think someone else already said something similar). Other than that, one great thing that sticks out for me in this episode is right at the end when a villager (Ming?) says "now we are free", Mac says "yeah", and then we hear the sound of synthesizer and drum play as the helicopter rotors turn. For some reason I find that such a powerful and cool ending.

"Now, I've always got the start of a plan".

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 3 June 2012 - 02:23 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode:Runners

This must be one of the few episodes which doesn't end on a face shot of MacGyver.

This is quite an enjoyable and fun episode to watch. I love the whole scene when Truang tells Narai that he made MacGyver talk. The way Narai turns to look at him completely unimpressed and then looks back at MacGyver who gives him that shrug. It's almost like both MacGyver and Narai are thinking the same thing. Makes me laugh every time.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
NightTinkerer
Posted on 29 July 2012 - 09:13 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Jacket:  Black leather

As with the previous episode, some of the things that I thought of have already been discussed. I have some reflections though:

I love this opening gambit as well. I know, it's been said many times, but the "hit in the face" line always cracks me up. We're starting to get a grip on MacGyver's sense of humor! laugh.gif

I find it very interesting that the episode starts with the sunbathing scene, where we find Mac conveniently stretched out, relaxing in the sun on the beach--and just a few scenes later he's tied up in a stretched out position, exposed to extreme heat and sunlight and left to die! ohmy.gif

The scene when Mac returns from the chopper after returning the canister, just to help the people, is indeed heartwarming, and also shows what a sympathetic character he is--always willing to risk his life to help others!

This is quite an enjoyable and fun episode to watch. I love the whole scene when Truang tells Narai that he made MacGyver talk. The way Narai turns to look at him completely unimpressed and then looks back at MacGyver who gives him that shrug. It's almost like both MacGyver and Narai are thinking the same thing. Makes me laugh every time.

Me too. laugh.gif
Another great example of his sarcastic sense of humor. smile.gif

It was also touching to watch that despite the fact that the people were freed from their slave labor for the general, Mac was still saddened that the general had to die. Maybe that was why they didn't show his face at the end--it wasn't after all a 100% happy ending when someone had to get killed...

A "good" rating from me.

PM                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted on 26 November 2012 - 03:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (NightTinkerer @ 30 July 2012 - 06:16 AM)
The scene when Mac returns from the chopper after returning the canister, just to help the people, is indeed heartwarming, and also shows what a sympathetic character he is--always willing to risk his life to help others!

Yeah that scene chokes me up a little every time. The boy thought his only hope of freedom and getting out of the horrible slave situation he was in had just left him there without a thought. And then when the smoke clears and you see that MacGyver hasn't left at all - very heartwarming indeed.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 27 November 2012 - 06:29 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity

I agree Kiwi, plus Mac's comment to the boy. I don't remember exactly what it was right now but something like, "It's ok, I'm not going anywhere" or something similar. I really liked that!!

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Mela_007
Posted on 9 January 2013 - 04:13 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Episode:Passages; Humanity

I watched this episode again last night and noticed something as the ending credits were rolling (I think it was this episode)...there was a person with the first name of Angus listed in the credits!! I'm not sure if they had decided upon Mac's first name when this episode was shot, but I thought it was interesting to see. ohmy.gif

"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted on 27 February 2013 - 04:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist
Jacket:  Black leather

I really like the opening gambit in this episode as well. The "Hit in the face" line always cracks me up. roller.gif Just another early example of Mac's sense of humor. Some of the acting was way over the top. And the writing could have been a lot tighter, but for the second episode of a new series, it wasn't that bad. I love the scene when Truang tells Narai that he made MacGyver talk. The way Narai turns to look at him completely unimpressed and then looks back at MacGyver who gives him a shrug. It's almost like MacGyver and Narai are thinking the same thing. Another example of Mac's sarcastic sense of humor. laugh.gif The scene when Mac returns from the chopper after returning the canister, just to help the people, is very kind and heartwarming, and this scene also shows what a sympathetic character he is. Because Mac is always willing to risk his life to help others! I also really liked the scene were one of the villagers says "Now we are free", And Mac says "Yeah" and then and then we hear the sound of synthesizer and drum play as the helicopter rotors turn. For some reason I find that such a powerful and very cool scene. And I also felt that Mac was kid of sad that the general had to die in the end. They didn't show it on his face at the end. But it isn't a happy ending if someone had to die... Not a great episode, but still a good episode. word1.png

Overall Rating: 8/10 duct.gif MacG.gif swissopen.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
Rocket
Posted on 22 September 2013 - 01:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights

I love the high-stakes-adventure episodes biggrin.gif

I particularly like the way Mac ropes the whole village into the plan, kids and all! I like the way he gives the bad guys loads of opportunities to give it up and the way the villagers rally round when they see there is hope.

I gave it an excellent biggrin.gif

Rollerskating at right angles to reality

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
kristiina86halonen
Posted on 8 April 2014 - 02:22 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites

QUOTE (Sonyab Sep 6 2004 @ 11:46 AM )

Oh another thing when he was tied to that bed thing with the hot sun they showed this guy that looked dead. When Mac cut himself out he grabbed the dead guy's belt I think. How did the guy die? MacGyver couldn't of killed him altho it did cross my mind but who killed the guy?

I wondered that, too. But I explain this so, that MacGyver freed himself with the knife, he knocked out this guy and then he laid down again and only pretended to be tied up, so he could easily eliminate the next guy.

I agree, that MacGyver's character was quite different in season 1 or, at least, in the first half of season 1. It was much lighter and careless and there was some James Bond-like twist in him. But the first season is what I remember best from my childhood and for that reason it's very important for me. So, I love the season 1 very much.

About that fighting thing: I like this part of MacGyver's character, that he wasn't a very good fighter. He was clumsy and won the fights rather by lucky accidents or using his cleverness than with brutal force. RDA was very athletic and could be much better fighter than MacGyver biggrin.gif , although this clumsiness was definitely the quality, that RDA himself brought in MacGyver's character. And it was a good idea, 'cause it adds the reality and convincingness of the character. And, because of his background as a mime and because of the qualities of his own personality, RDA acted this clumsiness perfectly.

But, what is far away from reality, and particularly in this episode, is this eternal enigma of language. But, as we saw in Stargate SG-1, the WHOLE UNIVERSE speak english, so this problem is solved biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll