SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

user posted image

We have a few threads here regarding Swiss Army Knives. Even ones about customizing your very own. (Bert!) biggrin.gif

But which SAK's do you own? Why? Let us know! smile.gif

"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 21 August 2016 - 09:58 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well at this moment in time i own the Tinker Small & the Pioneer. Both are great for everyday uses. I mostly use my Tinker Small though. The Pioneer is made more for "tougher" work as it has a much stronger design IMO.

I also own a Wenger although i am not certain which model it is as i cannot find a list of Wenger models with the descriptions or pictures attached although it looks similar to the tool chest model. Mine does have the old magnifying glass but it is a cheap imitation of the Victorinox model. I also had another Victorinox model but i lost it years ago. That had the scissors, magnifying glass, Phillips screwdriver, large and small knife, tin opener, flat head screwdriver. Cannot remember what else.

At this stage i am considering getting the Huntsman lite model. This is the new range available which greatly improves on the led light.

It also had the scissors which is sorely missed on the Tinker model i own and the Pioneer.

user posted image
user posted image

I found this useful info on another site about how the led's have improved with the pics below as reference.

user posted image
user posted image

It would seem that all knife models made after the 2009/2010 period were improved. All models prior to this time had the old leds.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 01:14 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned: Swiss Champ

Favorites
Episode:Twice Stung

Nice post Denizen! I have a number of them, Wenger and Victorinox, in my collection. Right now I have my Vic Climber on me, but I rotate my carry out depending on what I'm doing and what I feel like carrying. I just picked up a Wenger S111. I'd like to add a Swiss Champ to the collection to go with the Mini Champ I already have. You can't go wrong with a Huntsman. My first SAK and the one I carried exclusively until a couple years ago was a Huntsman my Dad got for me, and I never felt underequipped for anything I ran into. About my only concern was its thickness compared to the Tinkers or the 3 layer SAKs, but I didn't really notice it being all that big in my pocket.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Barry

"The bag's not for what I take. It's for what I find along the way!"
"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Jediferret
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 03:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Jacket:  Black leather

I have a Spartan. I chose this model because Mac used it in Blow Out. I loved the opening MacGyverism with the water bottle. I also bought a smaller, basic model that came with a USB drive, but I gave it to my sister. I don't really use it a lot, but when I do need it, it's come in VERY handy. Sure, I use it to open boxes and bottles, but I've also needed the corkscrew. Both the bottle and can opener can be used as screwdrivers, which I used to fix the front door at work.

My Dad always keeps one of the small, basic models in his pocket... and finds it to be the perfect tool for what he needs.

And like my father, I've kept with family tradition... and lost the toothpick.

"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 03:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Nice collection Barry. I am a little concerned though about the size of the Huntsman because im going for the Lite edition. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 05:15 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

The Spartan is a great knife Jedi! I have one that I just picked up for my son, and love how it carries. I don't think the Lite will be too big for you Denizen. It will be a bit bigger than the Tinker Small, but the added tools will be worth the slight gain in size. The only negative I read was that the lite can turn on in your pocket. If I had to pick one SAK to cover everything, it would be a Huntsman, especially with that in line Philips screwdriver! Another option would be a Super Tinker or a Climber, in which you would gain the scissors but lose the saw. They are one layer thinner but carry really well biggrin.gif .

I took a picture of (from left to right) a Huntsman, a Super Tinker, and a regular Tinker to give you an idea of thickness. None of these knives carry as nicely as the small Tinker smile.gif , but all are awesome knives.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 05:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

No, please. Go on! biggrin.gif

You are certainly giving me some insight here. I intend to have a pouch with it too so that will hopefully ot only protect it but prevent the light from going on.

Maybe you can help. What happens when the pen runs dry? Do Victorinox sell refills?

Also judging from your added picture, how much thicker is the lite compared to the regular Huntsman?

Jedi, I agree. The Spartan is right up there with the Tinker. Its an awesome knife.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 05:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Vic sells refills so that wouldn't be an issue at all Denizen. As far as thickness goes, I doubt it would be any thicker than the regular Huntsman, Denizen. The added Philips screwdriver on the Lite sure intrigues me, as I just did a 30 day challenge carry with one of my Wengers in which I only used that knife for a month. I found that the in line Philips was used more than the scissors, which sure blew a notion I had before I started carrying it. I'm a member of the Swiss Army Knights forum over on www.multitool.org and there are collectors/users there that really know their stuff. For a great pouch, I'm going to pick up one of the Victorinox Zermatt leather pouches. I gave one to my son along with a beautiful Wenger Fly Fisherman knife and there is a place to put a sharpener or a small flashlight along with a SAK. I've dealt with Victorinox service and you won't find a better company biggrin.gif . Please let me know if you or anyone has any questions and I'd be thrilled to help! If I don't know the answer, I know people that do biggrin.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 05:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Great, thanks, Barry! That is one of the reasons why the Huntsman Lite model intrigued me so much. The Phillips Screwdriver, Scissors and of course the improved led light over and above all the other great tools. It was a Spartan with added tools. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDobromir
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 09:45 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: camper/handyman

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  ---

Barry, I'm impressed! SAKs with paper clips - now this is a box that MacGyver should be proud of thumbsup.gif

I'm an owner of camper. It was a birthday present made 7 years ago. But I have to admit that pliers are my priority now and I prefer pliers over saw.

So, if you guys have some experience with SAK with pilers can You give me some advise which SAK should I choose?

"Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity." MacGyver

"Eureka!" Dobromir

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 22 August 2016 - 03:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

biggrin.gif Thanks!! All of our SAKs in the house are Mac equipped thumbsup.gif My son has a Swiss Champ with pliers, which I honestly like. They are tight and work really well for most of what you would use a SAK for. Mac, a really nice SAK with pliers is the Tinker Deluxe. It's the size of a Huntsman, and comes with pliers and scissors....can't go wrong! sakopen.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDobromir
Posted: 23 August 2016 - 10:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: camper/handyman

Favorites
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  ---

Thanks Barry! I found Swiss Champ in black, which I like much, but tinker deluxe is thinner so it will fit pocket perfectly. Not mention that tinker requires thinner wallet laugh.gif

"Any problem can be solved with a little ingenuity." MacGyver

"Eureka!" Dobromir

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
bert003
Posted: 23 August 2016 - 12:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Fire and Ice

I own a lot of SAKs (should post a pic sometime) however my EDC is a Tinker...

Somehow I always try to change knives from time to time, however I always go back to my Tinker... slim (2 layers) and has all the tools I need everyday without having any other tool which I do not use...

user posted image

----
cheers
bert

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 23 August 2016 - 01:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well here's an interesting question. Which is better to own? The new model Spartan or the vintage model before the toothpick & tweezers were added?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
bert003
Posted: 23 August 2016 - 08:39 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Various

Favorites
Episode:Fire and Ice

Well denizen... I would prefer to have the Spartan rather than the Standard...

Since if they have the same scales and layers, it won't add more weight having an extra tweezers and toothpick... and you get the keyring as well... wink.gif

----
cheers
bert

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 23 August 2016 - 11:33 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (MacDobromir @ 24 August 2016 - 06:03 AM)
Thanks Barry! I found Swiss Champ in black, which I like much, but tinker deluxe is thinner so it will fit pocket perfectly. Not mention that tinker requires thinner wallet laugh.gif

Anytime my friend! Glad to be of help biggrin.gif thumbsup.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 24 August 2016 - 12:25 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Thanks for that Bert.

When searching for a SAK, especially pre-owned ones, i always see the standards among the Spartans for instance.

Sometimes you get those that prefer the original ones over the new ones so you have to ask yourself. Is it solely for vintage / collection purposes or were the older ones "Better" in some way.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 24 August 2016 - 02:17 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

I have both, Denizen, and there's just "something" about the feel of the older ones that makes them feel more "solid". In reality, they're all awesome... biggrin.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 24 August 2016 - 04:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

I tend to agree somewhat. Obviously just personal taste i guess but there's just something about the standard, right? laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 24 August 2016 - 05:40 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

There sure is biggrin.gif !!

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 2 September 2016 - 02:06 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

I still bemoan the loss of my smaller SAK whilst on holiday last year, I don't know exactly which it was, but my new camper doesn't have the same feel. I lost with it a nice black SAK case leather with a press stud closure which was so much nicer thzn the modern velcro ones. I wish I could get both back

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 3 September 2016 - 11:54 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

Maclover, the leather case I think you had is called a Zermatt and you can still get them. I've got to order a couple here shortly. You can find them on Amazon biggrin.gif My son just recently purchased a Spartan for me, and it's a terrific knife! I have some older SAKs in the collection, and I agree in that the new ones lack "something"...not sure what but I feel it. Just the same, the Camper is a nice knife. I have its cousin, the Hiker, which is the same except mine has the Philips head screwdriver instead of the corkscrew. Ebay usually has some nice vintage SAKs for decent prices.

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 4 September 2016 - 04:18 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Hi Barry, I checked out the Zermatt, but that's not the case I lost. Mine is like the new black cases which have the Velcro, but mine had a press-stud fitting - it's the noise of the Velcro I don't like esp. when you are out in the countryside animal watching.

However, searching for that I think I've finally spotted the knife I lost - I believe it was a tinker deluxe. However, having got the camper I don't know if I can justify the expense of another new one.

As I think I've mentioned in the UK ebay is not allowed to sell pocket knives, and if we import from USA ebay we often get stung for import charges sad.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MiracleMac
Posted: 4 September 2016 - 12:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

RIP friend. We'll miss you.

SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Episode:Ugly Duckling
House:  Loft

I own the Climber. I remember when I started watching MacGyver first time in 2007 and by coincidence I saw a one in Clas Ohlson magazine, and couldn't wait to get one happy.gif It cost exactly 30.00 euros.

I like that Climber, it's one of those models which have the basic tools what you need, two blades big and small, screw drivers, bottle and can openers, scissors and tweezers.

I've never tried that toothpick, because the top of the toothpick hits some lubricant under the red cover, so it's dirty everytime when I pull it out puke.gif

"Colorado river kayak race, you and me shooting the rapids"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 4 September 2016 - 09:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

user posted image
user posted image

Well i finally received my Huntsman Lite. And...it's great! Love it!

Lighter than i thought. Awesome tools and quite innovative.

I was watching this video on Saturday and saw that his Spartan has a pin. Is that correct? Do Spartan's come with a pin or did he just wedge one in there? look at around 1:47 in the video.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 5 September 2016 - 12:51 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

No, but I just use a regular straight pin in mine. Fits great! Nice Huntsman Denizen!! thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 5 September 2016 - 02:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Thanks, Barry. So is this the norm of every Spartan owner to wedge a pin in their SAK? biggrin.gif

Sorry but its unheard of for me because till i saw that video, i didnt evn know people did that.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
denizen
Posted: 5 September 2016 - 09:48 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

Favorites

Well seeing that I still need a Spartan to complete my small collection, ive decided to order one for myself. After seeing that video however, the one with the black handle hit a soft spot for me so decided to order one if those! sak.gif thumbup.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Maclover
Posted: 5 September 2016 - 11:49 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

Favorites

Well today I actually don't have either a SAK or leather an in my bag. This is most unusual and will send me home tomorrow to dig them all out of of their hiding places. The problem is that I've been all over the place just lately, have had half a dozen bags packed and shifted stuff around left right and centre. I bet I start pulling my hair out before I find them all.

However, what do I own was the question wasn't it?

So, my EDC tends to be a Leatherman PSTII, I have also started to carry a tiny Classic SD as the file and scissors are great for dealing with a snapped nail desperately in the office. I carry a new Camper if I want a belt knife in a pouch (still can't love it with the white writing on it), that one also often gets dropped into a rucksack. I keep my pride and joy in the driver's glovebox as it's a bit chunky to carry around and is good as a 'get it out for a specific task whilst out and about'. I lobbed it at my stunned daughter who was struggling with a particularly intransigent bag of sweets in the car last week. However, my Craftsman! May have been a bit of overkill for that specific task.

I still want another deluxe tinker, I am weakening.............. blink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Barry Rowland
Posted: 5 September 2016 - 12:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

Favorites

QUOTE (denizen @ 5 September 2016 - 10:46 PM)
Thanks, Barry. So is this the norm of every Spartan owner to wedge a pin in their SAK? biggrin.gif

Sorry but its unheard of for me because till i saw that video, i didnt evn know people did that.

It seems to be Denizen, at least from what I'm reading. I don't know why Vic doesn't put a pin in when they ship them out. Even my Spartan has a place for one, which my youngest filled with a pin from the pin box

Barry

"EXACTLY!"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll