Maintaining and using your SAK correctly.
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 April 2009 - 04:17 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

Maintaining your SAK

We all know that over time our SAKs suffer from wear and tear, and become harder to open and close.

Here's a little tip from Victorinox on how to remedy that problem and keep your SAK working at optimum condition.
It's recommended that you follow this precess every 6-12 months depending on how often you use your knife.

user posted image
Note: I would say any standard 3-in-1 "sewing machine" type, or small parts oil would work for this.

Correct use of the can opener function
user posted image

Screw Driver blade function
user posted image

Basic Swiss Army Knife functions
user posted image

Don't open multiple blades at once

As you can see in the below picture, the spring is actually a solid piece of stainless steel which can be
permanently bent by having more than one blade open at a time due to the way the blades apply pressure
and bend the spring in various points even though Victorinox themselves dispute this we have heard many
stories of people's knives not functioning properly after opening too many blades at once.

user posted image

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
aatgmac
Posted: 20 April 2009 - 04:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat

Ohh! *grabs SAK* Cool thanks Rock.

biggrin.gif sak.gif

-Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted: 20 April 2009 - 05:36 PM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

yes thank you I may need this info in the future.

MacDriver
Posted: 1 May 2009 - 01:42 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist

The best oil to use it 3-in-1 or mineral oil (pharmacies usually have it). THis is a pretty good sharpener:

user posted image

wal mart and sporting goods store usually have them for under $5. Then occasionally there will be so much damage to the edge that the V-sharpener wont do the trick, and you need a stone for the course work before using the V-sharpener. Stones also are around $5. It takes a lot of practice though boxing.gif

"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 1 May 2009 - 02:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah the 3-in-1 oil is the sewing machine oil (at least it is in these parts).

I've updated that note in the post.

My father always had a rather large sharpening stone hanging at the back door which he used regularly for his knives.

I've actually found that a butchers sharpening steel works really well for keeping the edge on SAK blades - (I've got a very old one which is actually made from steel, not aluminum or what ever they use these days) - works really well, although they do take a little practice.

I like those electric ones to that sit your knife blade at the right angle with the spinning stone in them. They're fun to use smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDriver
Posted: 2 May 2009 - 08:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I'm so jeaous, I just have my rocks sad.gif

"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Beachbead
Posted: 6 May 2009 - 09:09 AM                                    
Quote Post

Unregistered

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  

sweet sharper.

This post has been edited by MacNymph on 2 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

macann
  Posted: 6 May 2009 - 01:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Vict. Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Too much of a good thing!!! :D

I have got a sak.gif too. It was a Christmas gift, for my sisters. I love it. I carrying everywhere. laugh.gif

It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid and say the opposite.
XD

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacDriver
Posted: 19 October 2009 - 05:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

I finally bought a bottle of the 3-in-1 oil with the cap that allows you to just squeeze a drop or two out- it's PERFECT! I wish I had found it sooner.
For sharpening SAK's, if you've just cut a lot of semi-hard material, those V-sharpeners will restore the edge, but if you have nicks or chips out of the blade you have to completely hone them out. I have a double sided stone I've used for ages that has a coarse and then a fine side. I also recently bought a wet stone that I use as a final stone, then I run it through the V sharpener for the final fine edge. The trick, I've found with SAK's, is to lay the blade almost flat on the stone. Obviously you don't want to lay it ALL the way down or you will horribly scar the sides of the stone. I just say that because I used to stand the blade up too high as I was sharpening and never could get a sharp edge.

There are also kits like the Lansky Sharpmaker that totally take the guesswork out and provide a more quantitative and consistent edge, but it's a lot more expensive than three stones and a Smith's V.

I also use Q-Tips to get the crap out of the knife when lint and similar matter accumulates inside. I open all the blades and get that junk out. THen if you want to do fine picking, the toothpick is the only thing I've had 100% success with.

You have to be careful with some blades on SAK's such as the main blade of the One Hand Trekker, the chisel, the scissors, Minichamp hook/picker, and the reamer- as you sharpen those, it's imperative to only sharpen the one side as they are a "chisel" edge, meaning only one side is sharpened to create the edge. If you try to sharpen it with a "V" edge, especially with the scissors, you will ruin them. Unfortunately, that is experience speaking.

The saw, believe it or not, can actually be sharpened. It is accomplished by using a really fine stone, like a wetstone. You lay the side of the saw down against the stone flat, completely flat, and sharpen. Do the other side as well obviously, but that is how it is done.

If you have never had a SAK, beware the reamer chip! If you close the awl/reamer and aren't careful, then you can close it on the keyring! This puts a small chip in the end of the reamer that can only be sharpened away by removing some serious metal. An easy fix is to remove the keyring, but I can never bring myself to do this as MacGyver always had it (well except in Tough Boyz)- and I was always afraid I would need to lower my SAK by a string and need to tie the string through the ring! (Think opening Gambit of Trumbo's World, or Cleo Rocks- although, in Cleo rocks it was a knife that does not come with a keyring- alright, that's it, I'm taking it off right now!)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 19 October 2009 - 12:46 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

The trick, I've found with SAK's, is to lay the blade almost flat on the stone. Obviously you don't want to lay it ALL the way down or you will horribly scar the sides of the stone. I just say that because I used to stand the blade up too high as I was sharpening and never could get a sharp edge.

Hmmm, that's interesting because "experts" always say that with stainless steel you sharpen at more of and upright angle than normal steel and if you look at a new SAKs blade it does have quite an edge to it.

I've actually found a standard butchers steel is quite good for sharpening a SAK and keeping it sharp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sean
Posted: 5 January 2010 - 09:08 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

nice, thanks for this. i have a super champ, its always been my prized possesion in my youth, so big with every tool imaginable, but i really havnt used it since scouting days....some of the blades wont even open. anybody have experience with sak's that wont even open? just oil it and hope it opens eventually?

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 January 2010 - 09:16 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

leave it to soak in warm soapy water for a while. I've found the best is to throw it into the sink when you start washing the evening dishes, leave it in until you've finished washing and drying everything then try opening the blades while it's still in the water.

Another option might be a good dose of WD40 or similar product and leave it to soak in over night.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
sean
Posted: 5 January 2010 - 09:25 PM                                    
Quote Post

Retired Member

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

thanks, im gonna put some wd40 on it right now...it was just wrong of me to abuse it so that it got to this point.

a little off topic but anybody know a good place to buy replacement tools for removable sak items? i know i have lost the little needle/pin in the super champ, would like to replace it.

PM                                                                     
lee
Posted: 6 January 2010 - 09:47 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Episode: Could never make up my mind

a little off topic but anybody know a good place to buy replacement tools for removable sak items? i know i have lost the little needle/pin in the super champ, would like to replace it.

"It's a little recipe I use in emergencies"

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Flyboy16
Posted: 22 January 2010 - 01:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: cadet,sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:the hiest

Yeah i cleaned up a 1980s fishermen with warn water then used some oil then sharpened it up and now it works like new. I don't use it though cuz its the last thing i have of my grandmother. She bought it in Switzerland. but i owned a smith pocket pal sharpener and it ruined the grind of my swiss champion plus. now im learning how to use a stone. My sog twitch 2 has taken the role of my primary knife but i still carry a recruit, cadet, or tinker sak aswell.1 sakopen.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 8 March 2011 - 10:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

I'm positive I saw a thread that mentioned the types of knives Mac used, but I haven't been able to find it - which knifes does he use, and which was the most popular?
I'm thinking about getting one but don't want to get one unless it's really good.

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 9 March 2011 - 02:03 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Here's the list (note this is incomplete)

and here's the thread about it

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Makedde
Posted: 9 March 2011 - 11:48 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Episode:Hell Week

Awesome, I bought one off ebay last night. A spartan or whatever. It looks cool so I'm looking forward to getting it. smile.gif

"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
lsalzman
Posted: 15 July 2011 - 10:05 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:To Be A Man
Jacket:  Black leather

I didn't know it was this easy to take care of a SAK. Thanks for the information on how to maintain and especially how to use it.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
  Posted: 20 October 2011 - 07:50 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  Second Loft

One tip for sharpening all knives, chisels, plane blades ~ NEVER use an electric grinder on them, as it changes the temper of the steel if it gets too hot. It then becomes more brittle, and won't hold an edge for anywhere near as long - several of the better brands state in their warranties that letting your knife anywhere near a grinder can void the warranty.. tongue.gif

By definition, your sharpening stone(s) are for putting the initial edge on your blade; a leather strop removes any burrs and cleans the edge up; and the "steel" and the diamond sharpeners are then used for maintaing that edge...

Some sharpening stones use water - not oil - while there are others that can be used dry, same as with your steels, and diamond or ceramic pocket sharpeners..

Over time, many people here will likely end up with all of these in their sharpening "kits". dry.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Bushwalker
Posted: 7 June 2012 - 09:44 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
House:  Second Loft

P.S. I wonder why my previous post to this thread didn't register on the index here, last year ???

Strange, that..

boxing.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
mac8
Posted: 16 July 2012 - 05:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: huntsman

Favorites
Episode:Target Macgyver

thanks for the info! sak.gif

"the tigers could have used you this year." MacGyver in the road not taken.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
M.C. Wolfcat
Posted: 4 February 2013 - 08:46 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Tinker Deluxe

Favorites
Episode:All of them

My first SAK!

The Tinker Deluxe :-D

user posted image

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
M.C. Wolfcat
Posted: 4 February 2013 - 08:52 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

Can any1 tell what is the proper way to wash a SAK?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 4 February 2013 - 11:55 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

QUOTE (M.C. Wolfcat @ 5 February 2013 - 05:55 AM)

Just use the soapy water you wash your dishes in. Give it a good long soak and wash in the water and then rinse it off under the tap (faucet) and dry it off.

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
Mac1977
Posted: 4 February 2013 - 09:05 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

SAK owned: too many

Favorites
Episode:D.O.A.mac,widowmaker

QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 5 February 2013 - 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (M.C. Wolfcat @ 5 February 2013 - 05:55 AM)

Just use the soapy water you wash your dishes in. Give it a good long soak and wash in the water and then rinse it off under the tap (faucet) and dry it off.

And after that it's good to oil blade springs. wink.gif sakopen.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
KiwiTek
Posted: 4 February 2013 - 10:28 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Special Agent

Favorites
Episode:Runners

I've just added a picture showing how the springs work in a SAK to help explain why you shouldn't open more than one blade at a time.

QUOTE (Mac1977 @ 5 February 2013 - 06:08 PM)
And after that it's good to oil blade springs. wink.gif  sakopen.gif

You mean hinges and yes it does pay to keep them lubricated with either sewing machine oil or silicon lubricant to make sure it can keep doing this sakopen.gif

biggrin.gif

MDDHosting - Professional Wed Hosting Solutions

PM                                                                     
M.C. Wolfcat
Posted: 5 February 2013 - 10:31 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

Favorites

Thanx guys it will really help alot.

I always wondered why my dads SAK became useless, it's becuase they never gave it oil doh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverisms
Posted: 10 February 2013 - 04:15 PM                                    
Quote Post

Special Forces Agent

Favorites
Season: season 4
Jacket:  Black leather

Thanks for the advice guys. Now I know how to mantain my SAK. sakopen.gif

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

PMEmail PosterYahoo                                                                     
indiana9310
Posted: 6 March 2013 - 08:26 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: Hiker

Favorites
Episode:The Enemy Within
House:  Loft

The Smith's "V" sharpener is a great one. I got mine at Wal-Mart about a year ago. Its the only sharpener I use on my Swiss Army knife. sakopen.gif

"Hi, this is MacGyver. We all know how these things work, so when you hear the beep, go for it." - The Negotiator

PM                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll