Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---

As MacGyver climbs out to repair the balloon hole you can see a rope running from the basket off to the right of the screen.. obviously to hold the balloon in place for the shot.

As MacGyver runs up the sand dune there is part of either a vehicle or rigging visible at the right edge of the shot.

Macs watch changes from black to silver when he's waiting for the fireworks in the bell to go off.

Mac sets off the explosion by inserting the plug of a camera flash and activating the timer. This, however, is impossible. Plastique is a very powerful but very stable plastic explosive. A detonator is needed to set it off. A simple electric spark or current from a battery operated camera would never initiate the explosion.

At the end Kate takes a picture with a camera which has just been swum across the river. Most cameras don't work very well when they have been submerged under water. Hers was already broken so would have filled up with water as they crossed the river.

When Kate knocks out the solder with her camera, his hat comes off. But then when we see the next shot his hat is back on.

Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
SHEILA
  Posted: 17 June 2008 - 08:53 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Second Loft

I got my MacGyver dvd's today.I got season 1 and season 7.I watched disk 1 of season one and I was wondering if anyone caught in the opening voice over of this epo were mac was talking about a cousin he had. Is that strange or what.I wonder who the cousin was.

Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 17 June 2008 - 09:19 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

A more important question is what happened to that cousin?

I guess this is another example of lack of character development in season 1.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted: 18 June 2008 - 03:01 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat

Yeah, it's mentioned that Mac had a cousin named Ally. What happened to Ally and also did Mac's dad have a sibling, or Mac's mom? Interesting fanfiction idea.

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 18 June 2008 - 04:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Jacket:  Brown bomber

Not to nitpick your nitpick... happy.gif ... but Cousin Ally and her dog were mentioned in 'The Golden Triangle'. At the beginning of this episode, Mac reflects on a visit to a strange town that he made with his father to sell apples. He said that he 'just knew there was something wrong with the place'. Then he bribes some guards to distract them from assaulting a young girl that "reminds me of my sister"--giving the girl time to get away from them.

Cousin Ally could be a second or third cousin... depending upon how many siblings Mom, Dad, Grandma Jackson and Grandpa Jackson had... and we never touched base on James MacGyver's family tree... could there be more MacGyvers out there? Why not!

I have family members that I don't talk to... first cousins, even. If you don't keep in touch... you don't even think about them. I could bump into one at the mall and never know we were related.

My point... Mac wasn't terribly interested in hunting down his relatives... in 'Good Knight MacGyver' (granted, they were researching ancestors) but he didn't act like he cared much, really. Of course, considering the mortality rate of Mac's relatives... he probably thought he was protecting them by leaving them anonymous. cool.jpg

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 June 2008 - 06:10 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

could there be more MacGyvers out there? Why not!

because it's made very clear that MacGyver has no living relatives... thats why not tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Liz1976
Posted: 19 June 2008 - 02:19 AM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Operative

SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Episode:The Widowmaker

Then why mention a cousin?

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Lothithil
Posted: 19 June 2008 - 04:33 AM                                    
Quote Post

Director of Intelligence

SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Episode:Serenity

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 18 June 2008 - 08:45 PM)
could there be more MacGyvers out there? Why not!

because it's made very clear that MacGyver has no living relatives... thats why not tongue.gif

Heh... well, guess we better not mention his 'nephew' Clay, then... tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 19 June 2008 - 12:12 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

*nods*

Yes....that was a faux par of monumental proportions.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacsChick
Posted: 19 June 2008 - 05:26 PM                                    
Quote Post

Phoenix Field Agent

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:Passages

Yes, and it's a faux pas I'm afraid will extend into any feature film version. dry.gif

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 8 July 2008 - 07:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

As MacGyver climbs out to repair the balloon hole you can see a rope running from the basket off to the right of the screen.. obviously to hold the balloon in place for the shot.

As MacGyver runs up the sand dune there is part of either a vehicle or rigging visible at the right edge of the shot.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Photonalpha
Posted: 21 July 2008 - 08:18 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
House:  Loft

[QUOTE]Mac sets off the explosion by inserting the plug of a camera flash and activating the timer. This, however, is impossible. Plastique is a very powerful but very stable plastic explosive. A detonator is needed to set it off. A simple electric spark or current from a battery operated camera would never initiate the explosion.

In cameras with a flash, a transformer is used to amplify the current for a brief period of time, while the shutter opens. The amount of electricity coming from the circuit in the camera, is not the same amount as 2 double A batteries in parallel connected to the bulb. For an example of how much power is emitted from the camera, please view this short clip. Youtube

Amid incorrect terminology, this video succeeds in demonstrating the potential power of a camera.

I am not saying this would ignite the plastique, but consider the possibility

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 22 July 2008 - 04:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Photonalpha @ 22 July 2008 - 04:53 PM)
In cameras with a flash, a transformer is used to amplify the current for a brief period of time, while the shutter opens. The amount of electricity coming from the circuit in the camera, is not the same amount as 2 double A batteries in parallel connected to the bulb. For an example of how much power is emitted from the camera, please view this short clip.  Youtube

Amid incorrect terminology, this video succeeds in demonstrating the potential power of a camera.

The cable MacGyver plugged into the C4 was from the camera to the (seperate) flash unit.. I.E. it carried the signal to tell the flash when to fire. The end he plugged into the C4 was the end which would normally go into the flash unit, so it's fair to assume that the resulting current from the camera would be a fairly low "signal" current and not the large jolt used to fire the flash bulb.

Side note: C4 is so stable that it can be shot with a gun and not detonate. In Vietnam the solders would burn small amounts of C4 if they needed a fire in a hurry.. presumably if you burn a large amount it would eventually generate enough heat to actually trigger an explosion.. but smaller amounts is fine.

blowup.gif <<<< oops... used too much to light the fire.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Photonalpha
Posted: 8 August 2008 - 12:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Thank you, admin, for the clarification.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 8 August 2008 - 02:04 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Photonalpha @ 9 August 2008 - 08:04 AM)
Thank you, admin, for the clarification.

No problem.

I reckon the current from the actual flash itself, probably would be enough to detonate the small amount that he used though, but that would have required more time to organize. wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Photonalpha
Posted: 28 August 2008 - 03:02 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

As MacGyver sails away in his convieniently prepared hot air balloon, one must note the shot fired through the balloon. Seeing as it was headed with a diagonaly upward tragectory it should have peirced the ballon material in not one place, but two. (Once on the other side as well.) Mainly due to the fact that a bullet would not be stopped by a single piece of material, and that one small hole would jepordize the performance of the hot air balloon, sealing one hole would not fix his problem.

PM                                                                     
Photonalpha
Posted: 1 September 2008 - 05:55 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Perhaps I was not clear. What I was reffering to was there should be two bullet holes in the hot air balloon; one where the bullet entered the balloon and one where it exited.

PM                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 1 September 2008 - 06:21 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

wouldn't that depend on...

A: the distance the bullet had to travel to get to the balloon.. i.e. if they where quite a distance away and that balloon material I would guess to be of a reasonable strength, it might have only had enough power to get through one side

B: the angle of the bullet?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Braddock
Posted: 2 September 2008 - 09:07 AM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned: tinker small

Favorites
Episode:pilot, the gauntlet
House:  Observatory

he was shooting an AK-47, they are chamberd in 7.62x39mm(.308) the bullet would go through both sides ! A 7,62 bullet can kill from a long distance! half a mile or so

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Photonalpha
Posted: 22 September 2008 - 04:23 PM                                    
Quote Post

Challengers Volunteer

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

According to Braddock, the power would be there. As for the angle, from almost every angle except a shot that skimmed the side, the bullet would make two holes. The only exception would be if the bullet was shot from above the balloon and exited through the hole at the bottom, which is unlikely, due to the fact that it was fired from the ground.

PM                                                                     
  Posted: 19 March 2009 - 07:07 PM                                    
Quote Post

SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Episode:
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 23 July 2008 - 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (Photonalpha @ 22 July 2008 - 04:53 PM)
In cameras with a flash, a transformer is used to amplify the current for a brief period of time, while the shutter opens. The amount of electricity coming from the circuit in the camera, is not the same amount as 2 double A batteries in parallel connected to the bulb. For an example of how much power is emitted from the camera, please view this short clip.  Youtube

The cable MacGyver plugged into the C4 was from the camera to the (seperate) flash unit.. I.E. it carried the signal to tell the flash when to fire. The end he plugged into the C4 was the end which would normally go into the flash unit, so it's fair to assume that the resulting current from the camera would be a fairly low "signal" current and not the large jolt used to fire the flash bulb.

Actually, no. The camera's signal to the flash is simply a brief closing of the circuit through the PC cord. There's actually no power generated from the camera body; all of the power in the circuit comes from the flash unit. (I've rigged several remote triggers for flash units, including the Sunpak 522 in the episode, using hookup wire or zip cord and simple intermittent-on pushbuttons from electronic shops. I've also routinely fired electronic flashes - including again the 522 - through pc cords using Leicas and other mechanical cameras which HAVE no electrical circuitry in them at all.)

As you pointed out, the flash end of the cord is plugged into the plastique, which means that the explosive is being triggered by a totally unpowered circuit. There's just no way that gimmick works. hmm.bmp

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 19 March 2009 - 07:32 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

oh, well that's even worse than I thought then!

No power at all.

Myth BUSTED!

doh.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
aatgmac
Posted: 20 March 2009 - 02:04 AM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Episode:

QUOTE (Photonalpha @ 23 September 2008 - 12:23 PM)
According to Braddock, the power would be there. As for the angle, from almost every angle except a shot that skimmed the side, the bullet would make two holes. The only exception would be if the bullet was shot from above the balloon and exited through the hole at the bottom, which is unlikely, due to the fact that it was fired from the ground.

Unless... the bullet was shot at such an angle that it just skimmed the side of the balloon, making a ripped hole, from the angle those guys were shooting looks unlikely as they probably hit it head on.

-Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 March 2009 - 01:27 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

Yeah it does kind of look like a head on shot really.

Not sure I would be keen on climbing out on that balloon while people are shooting at it though.

Did they stop shooting when climbed out?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
aatgmac
Posted: 20 March 2009 - 04:00 PM                                    
Quote Post

Trouble shooter

SAK owned: Minichamp

Favorites
Episode:

I think the leader shouted he is out of range or stop firing...that seems to happen often! Bit silly really...if they kept shooting they probably would have brought him down.

-Every Action has an equal and opposite reaction

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jennkurz
Posted: 29 April 2010 - 12:51 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

SAK owned: tinker

Favorites
Episode:passages/ outsiders/ ma dalton
Jacket:  Blue snow/outdoors

When MacGyver is clipping the camara strap onto the two wires of the electrified fence his bare pinky finger clearly brushes against, moves and then kinda curls around the bottom wire while hes wrapping the camara strap around the two wires. If the fence was electrified even if the plastic strap insulated him from the electricity when his bare hand touched the bottom wire he should have gotten a pretty good jolt.

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 29 April 2010 - 09:42 PM                                    
Quote Post

Administrator

SAK owned:

Favorites
Episode:

laugh.gif AND he only clipped onto the top wire, the nylon strap pulled against the bottom wire so that would have zapped him as well.

I don't think nylon insulates does it?

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Wheeljack
Posted: 14 November 2010 - 02:09 PM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Agent

SAK owned: Adventurer

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Gold Rush, Invisible Killer

This is a rather old thread, but I'll add a couple personal experiences to the discussion.

To start, I do believe nylon insulates. They use nylon (or nylon-like material) inside larger extension cords for added strength, so it obviously must be none-conductive. We could also assume that the camera strap had a plastic clasp on the end, also none-conductive. It may very well have been metal, as many professional straps are, but let's just say it was plastic in this case. wink.gif He may have well touched the wire, I dunno, I'd have to watch again.

I'll echo the thing about the flash cable, that's just.... yeah. tongue.gif That would be quite dangerous if cables actually carried current like that, I can just imagine someone zapping them self and dropping their $10,000 camera! 8(

The wires from the flash bulb, or more specifiaclly the capacitor, *might* have been enough. I was removing a built-in flash from a camera once, and not thinking cut both wires to the capacitor at the same time, resulting in a really loud pop & spark. A little startling to say the least. tongue.gif I didn't get stung, but my small wire cutters got a notch burned out of them, so I'd assume that might be enough to set off "silly putty" smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jennkurz
Posted: 26 February 2011 - 09:58 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

in the opening gambit mac looks out the window, then climbs out the window, but when the peasent alerts the guards to his presence , hes looking out the window agian

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
jennkurz
Posted: 26 February 2011 - 10:02 AM                                    
Quote Post

DXS Operative

Favorites

when mac is sliding down the dune on the map you can clearly see its a stunt double

PMEmail Poster                                                                     
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll