026 - The Wish Child
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
 
How did you rate this episode?
user posted image [ 2 ]  [5.56%]
user posted image [ 4 ]  [11.11%]
user posted image [ 8 ]  [22.22%]
user posted image [ 15 ]  [41.67%]
user posted image [ 7 ]  [19.44%]
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 3 November 2006 - 02:39 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.


Episode 26 - The Wish Child

In Chinatown, MacGyver tries to rescue a friend's brother from a scam in which he's being passed off as the reincarnation of an ancient Chinese legend.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Macs Lab Rat
Posted on 9 November 2006 - 07:53 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,027
Joined: 6 Apr 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Scotland
SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Votes as of 14th October 2006
Poor [ 1 ] [6.25%]
Average [ 1 ] [6.25%]
OK [ 2 ] [12.50%]
Good [ 7 ] [43.75%]
Excellent [ 5 ] [31.25%]
Total Votes: 16

Archived comments

QUOTE (MacGyverGod Feb 14 2005 @ 06:56 AM )
Not a bad episode, I voted for OK. It was good.


QUOTE (Sonyab Feb 14 2005 @ 07:12 AM )
I voted excellent.. Mac helps that boy from the bad guys.. I loved the beginning when Mac and his friend were doing karate.. So many funny onliners in this episode.. Mac made himself all dirty in order to save the boy yummy. 


QUOTE (MacGyver Feb 14 2005 @ 11:52 AM )
Totally excellent! I loved the karate bits and MacGyver's rescue of Paul. There are definitely some great one liners in the episode, especially MacGyver's line, "Old Minnesota wisdom. If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable."Of course, I also love the part where he's trapped inside a shipping crate and creates an explosion to blow an opening in it and is left hanging on for dear life to the rope and then escapes and rescues Paul. Another great exciting episodes. (There's so many of those that fall in that category. About 141 of them, actually!


QUOTE (MrMacFixIt Feb 15 2005 @ 05:24 AM )
I voted good.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this episode.

Liked the humor. Liked getting to watch MacGyver doing "I didn't know he did that" things. dry.gif Hmmmm. But the myth... maybe that's why I like Stargate so much. The background to the myths. Meaning there actually are some. And that Lee Wenying...  WAAAY over the top on the 'acting' buddy.

But the one liners...

QUOTE
QUOTE (MacGyver @ Feb 14 2005, 11:42 AM)
"Old Minnesota wisdom. If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable." 


That one comes very close to my personal favorite. "If they think your crazy, people won't mess with you." You had to have seen what the woman who said that to me had just done to an intern that was trying to kiss butt. evil.gif Needless to say... she didn't care for brown nosers.

But I digress. The episode balances out for me and left me with a "good" vote


QUOTE (Alex-Wylie Feb 15 2005 @ 11:32 AM )
Weird and cool episode! I would like to know if the whole myth thing is made up or if there really such a story or at least similar one. Of course I liked Mac helping the boy and the cool.jpg quotes. Beside the old Minnesota Wisdom laugh.gif I was also keen about:

"You know it took me a while to perfect the basket trick, but there is absolutly no defence."

"I remember that age when it was cool to be bad, dumb age!"

"It's funny, gunpowder smells the same no matter how you write it."

"Anyway it's just be a matter of seconds before light become a match and either I blow out or up"

"Your future is part of a scam, terrific!"

"Outstanding!!!"


QUOTE (phoenix Feb 16 2005 @ 01:31 PM )
QUOTE
QUOTE (MrMacFixIt @ Feb 14 2005, 10:14 AM)
dry.gif I voted good.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this episode.

Liked the humor. Liked getting to watch MacGyver doing "I didn't know he did that" things.  dry.gif Hmmmm. But the myth... maybe that's why I like Stargate so much. The background to the myths. Meaning there actually are some. And that Lee Wenying...  WAAAY over the top on the 'acting' buddy.


gotta agree with you (mixed feelings) on this one, mm. i like it when mac helps people, but it was "WAAAAAY" out there for me, too.

QUOTE (zhennu Feb 16 2005 @ 04:44 PM )

A good from me as well.

That part when Mac was stuffed in the crate from a crane thingymababber got me there. There were some humorous bits here and there. I'm gonna have to check out about those myths one day. See if that's just made-up or is a geniune one.


QUOTE (Rockatteer Feb 16 2005 @ 05:54 PM )
THis review from TVTOME leans towards the myth being made up for the show.

MacGyver in the Chinese part of town" pits Mac against an old legend, of course never heard of either before or since.


QUOTE (vina Feb 17 2005 @ 02:17 AM )
It seems to me it doesn't really matter if the myth was made up or not. I think the point was that superstitions and myths are very powerful and can motivate people to do bad things when they don't use intelligence and empathy--which our hero Mac does.

I love the opening scene with Mac and Paul's sister doing the karate thing--Mac being distracted by "fighting" a woman wink.gif --and stepping in the wastebasket! The mask didn't help..."a tent, maybe!" laugh.gif

Love the blowing up the box in mid-air thing on the ship too..."Down, please! Thank you!"


QUOTE (nicole Jun 18 2005 @ 05:01 PM )
this episode was ok the best part was when he was in the crate and got himself out of it..


QUOTE (MacGirl Jun 28 2005 @ 09:22 PM )
A good from me, too. This was a little far out and over the top, but it was a good commentary on the power of myth and legend, and what can happen when people take that stuff too seriously. And I *loved* the humor in this one... the "old MN wisdom" line was one of my faves (maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm a native Minnesotan myself!) and the "basket trick" line (I used to take taekwondo lessons, so I love any reference to martial arts in TV or movies!)


QUOTE (Nick Kismet Jul 30 2005 @ 12:10 PM )
That lone 'poor' vote is mine, and I'll name the reason:

Tia Carrere

Not just Tia, but a young Tia (she's my age, so I can say that)

Why was one of the most talented and exotic beauties ever to make an appearance on MacGyver relegated to just a few short minutes of screen time? And why, why, why was she in a mask? What the heck was that about?
blowup.gif
I'll skip this one and go straight to Murderers' Sky


QUOTE (Lothithil Sep 29 2006 @ 10:44 AM )
Good ep!

I liked the whole 'ancient chinese legend' thing, and seeing George Takei (((Sulu))) is great! I love the way Mac follows a mystery, and I particularly love his voice-overs. I really miss those in the later episodes.

Lots of great MacGyverisms! I laughed when I noticed that his jacket had holes burned in the sleeves after he excaped from the fireworks crate! And how he disguised himself to infiltrate Mr. Lee's ship.... yowza! drool.gif

What can I say? I'm a healthy, red-blooded American girl!



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 28 September 2007 - 08:45 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Is that the Vincent Thomas bridge in the background of the pier shots?

I know they filmed in that area of the port for season 7. (the ship used in the Stringer episode (S.S. Lane Victory) is permanently docked right under the Vincent Thomas bridge)



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted on 13 May 2008 - 10:05 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Another enjoyable and fairly amusing episode from season 2.

Theres at least a couple of great quotes in this episode. Not to mention an interesting little look into some of the stuff MacGyver does in his spare time.. like perfecting the "bucket" technique laugh.gif

One thing the show does give is an interesting look at how young people perceive a situation and not be able to see whats really happening and gave a little bit of insight into how a young persons mind might work with regards to not wanting to listen because they think adults just want to stop them having fun etc.

I have to say James Hong really over-acted his part at the end.






Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted on 13 May 2008 - 11:01 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I commented on this episode before, but in the spirit of participation and posting-fun, I will rededicate my opinion.


'Wish Child' is one of my favorite eps from S2. It has all the elements that I enjoy in a MacGyver Story:

MacGyverisms: The firecracker scene wub.gif , the 'classic' use of 'umbrella kung fu', Mac's lesson in 'how to be untouchable', and the radio control car diversion, among others.
Action: fight scene (okay, be honest... whump scene) when Mac gets knocked out, karate training roller.gif , and being chased around Chinatown by punks... all good stuff!
Characters: Sam the souvenir saleman (love this actor) George Takei (had a crush on him from StarTrek when I was a kid) James Hong, the infamous immortal Asian Actor who was never young a day in his life! Lisa and Paul, two of MacGyver's young people.

This episode is three for three on the M.A.C. scale! biggrin.gif I rate it GOOD.



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Agent MacGyver!
Posted on 14 May 2008 - 04:53 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 65
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Gender:  Male
Country: California
SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Cease Fire
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Loft



I enjoyed the ending, where when he "lost" the wish child, he stopped living - kind of aikin to the legend. I don't remember if they said anything about this the episode.

all the macgyverisms seemed pretty real, and the episode seems like it could have happened.

sometimes when messing around with my friends and I'm getting beat up boxing.gif , I go, "Had enough?" and they laugh. obviously i stole that from this episode.



 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverfan717
Posted on 14 May 2008 - 07:13 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 208
Joined: 19 May 2007
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Blow out
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Loft



Very good episode! My favorite part is when Mac Puts the hook on the one thugs belt. Very funny scene. biggrin.gif



"...Verily, Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
John 3:3

"And where are my shoelaces!?"-Dexter Fillmore, Deep Cover

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacNancy
Posted on 14 May 2008 - 12:30 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 39
Joined: 27 May 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: camper

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:The Legend of the Holy Rose
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



Rocky:

QUOTE
One thing the show does give is an interesting look at how young people perceive a situation and not be able to see whats really happening and gave a little bit of insight into how a young persons mind might work with regards to not wanting to listen because they think adults just want to stop them having fun etc.


Hi Rocky,
I agree. Sometimes young people don't always see "the big picture" because they are blinded by their own stubborness and just plain ignorance of what's going on around them. So I too thought this was a good example of how young people can mistake something they see as right, when it's actually wrong. As Mac said, "dumb age." And I too really liked all the voice overs in this episode. They really added a personal touch to the episode. I really liked the sparring scene between Mac and Lisa. And laughed when he got his foot stuck in that trash can. I thought that was funny when he tried to cover it up by saying he "perfected that technique." laugh.gif Rick was so funny in that. And I agree, I really loved it when Mac got himself all grubby when he broke into that ship's hull to save Paul. That was priceless! I wonder how long it took him to get cleaned up for the next scene. laugh.gif Btw I found a picture of that scene some time back. I'll post it below. He definitely looked "Untouchable!"

All in all this was a pretty good episode. The little race car under the dragon's head was funny too when he distracted that young hoodlum. LOL Well back to my hockey game. Pittsburgh Penguins are playing Philadelphia Flyers. Penguins ahead, 2-1! Love those birds! lol wink.gif

Take Care,
Nancy


user posted image



"I'm a cliche'....Life's too short...I'll burn out soon enough. I don't need to expedite the process." RDA on E Entertainment.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted on 16 May 2008 - 12:52 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I remember watching this episode when it first aired; it wasn't a favourite of mine then, and it still isn't, although for different reasons.

I thought the acting was awfully weak on several accounts (although I loved seeing George Takei again!), but more than that, I thought the writing was weak on a fundamental level.

The story itself isn't that strong -- there are a lot of threads that get started and aren't wound up, particularly in terms of Paul's reaction to the legend, not to mention the legend itself. I found myself wondering if they had originally planned for the episode to be somewhat different, working more with a possible borderline-supernatural theme, and then pulled back from that idea and filled in with action instead.

I really wish they had used a real legend, instead of a fake one. The world is full of real stories, each of which carries with it a wealth of fascinating truths about human nature as well as a marvelous context of its native culture. Making up a fake story to fit a contrived plot is a poor second choice.

But it’s really neat to look at the episode and recognise that it was the first one to work with the connection with China, which later became very important – the theme for some really good episodes.

And it's a grand episode for MacGyverisms! sak.gif

I also loved Sam, the Chinese-American con-man friend of Mac’s; one of the best acted roles in the episode, and a lot of fun. I loved the martial arts scene – RDA was terrific, and the humour was great. And yes, I loved Grimy Mac too. happy.gif

And in a world where we mostly notice continuity only when we gripe about mistakes, I'm going to comment that the continuity in this episode was really well done -- from the holes in Mac's jacket sleeve to the dirt and grime in the later scenes (and how Paul gradually got dirty from contact with Mac)!



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted on 19 May 2008 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Franco)
I can see how it would be difficult to research an actual legend and then build a story around it, when you're trying to write, film, edit, produce, etc., 22 episodes 45 minutes long all in a year; that's like making 10 or so full-length movies.

That would apply if it were just one writer doing all the episodes; but it isn't. Just speaking from my own experience, I find plenty of inspiration in mythology as it exists (as well as history, sociology, etc.). I find myself wishing that the writers of this episode had read up on actual Chinese legend and let that inspire a story, rather than coming up with a story and creating an Exotic Legend to go with it. It just seems backwards to me.

I like the episode, though; it just isn't a favourite. With the possible exception of "The Coltons", I'd rather watch even the weaker episodes of MacGyver than just about anything currently on TV!



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
mser
Posted on 20 May 2008 - 03:40 AM                                    
Quote Post



*

Posts: 16
Joined: 7 Sep 2007
Gender:  Female
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Loft



This wasn't one of my favorite episodes but I'd watch it again. My favorite parts were the fight at the beginning with Lisa, the remote control dragon, and the floating statue. I also liked seeing some of the actors I've seen in other shows.

The "Dumb age" thing... sooooo real!

Don't know if this has been posted but I read this and thought it was interesting since "Minnesota wisdom" has been mentioned several times... James Hong, who played Lee Wenying, is born in Minneapolis.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
androgyny
Posted on 7 June 2008 - 10:32 PM                                    
Quote Post


Retired Member
**

Posts: 82
Joined: 3 May 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (MacBeth @ 16 May 2008 - 09:27 AM)
I remember watching this episode when it first aired; it wasn't a favourite of mine then, and it still isn't, although for different reasons.

I thought the acting was awfully weak on several accounts (although I loved seeing George Takei again!), but more than that, I thought the writing was weak on a fundamental level.

The story itself isn't that strong -- there are a lot of threads that get started and aren't wound up, particularly in terms of Paul's reaction to the legend, not to mention the legend itself.  I found myself wondering if they had originally planned for the episode to be somewhat different, working more with a possible borderline-supernatural theme, and then pulled back from that idea and filled in with action instead.

I really wish they had used a real legend, instead of a fake one.  The world is full of real stories, each of which carries with it a wealth of fascinating truths about human nature as well as a marvelous context of its native culture.  Making up a fake story to fit a contrived plot is a poor second choice.

But it’s really neat to look at the episode and recognise that it was the first one to work with the connection with China, which later became very important – the theme for some really good episodes.

And it's a grand episode for MacGyverisms!  sak.gif

I also loved Sam, the Chinese-American con-man friend of Mac’s; one of the best acted roles in the episode, and a lot of fun.  I loved the martial arts scene – RDA was terrific, and the humour was great. And yes, I loved Grimy Mac too.  happy.gif

And in a world where we mostly notice continuity only when we gripe about mistakes, I'm going to comment that the continuity in this episode was really well done -- from the holes in Mac's jacket sleeve to the dirt and grime in the later scenes (and how Paul gradually got dirty from contact with Mac)!

I just gave this episode an okay and my reasons are similar to yours. I also prefer watching any episode of Macgyver than most of the shows today on TV. Actually, I dont remember watching and following any action/adventure type tv shows since Macgyver. Oh, there is this one show, Due South, that I really enjoyed because of the mountie and his dog and I don't remember it being too violent. But it was a short-lived series, I think.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Beachbead
Posted on 17 April 2009 - 12:02 PM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I voted ok, on this. the storyline it's that strong.



 
                                                                     
Top
Beachbead
Posted on 30 April 2009 - 06:48 AM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



The Finnish episode title is "Ihmelapsi", meaning "Prodigy".



 
                                                                     
Top
Shiloh
Posted on 28 September 2009 - 09:44 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 17
Joined: 2 Sep 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Australia
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:"The Heist"
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



I just watched this again last night on dvd.
(Had my own little Mac-athon) wink.gif

It wasn't one of my favourites, but I did enjoy seeing it again after so long.

I love anything to do with myths & legends & reincarnation, so that was interesting.

The remote control dragon was funny.

Mac all grimy so he could save Paul was wub.gif

He could save me anytime! laugh.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Dr Zito
Posted on 26 September 2011 - 10:06 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 127
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender:  Male
Country: Colombia
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:MacGyver 5x01
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



too childish for my adult taste. I voted poor, it was like one of those disney half an hour preachy episodes about kids staying in school and listening to their fathers.

what I found funny was that they used the same chinese character actors for every american series with a chinese theme. The old chinese guy I think appears in big trouble in little china



 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
NightTinkerer
Posted on 24 August 2012 - 02:12 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 154
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Gender:  Female
Country: A non-US island
SAK owned: Multifaceted

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Though the "myth" this episode is supposed to be based on is more than a bit cliché (and rather... flimsy... to be honest...) this episode contains lots of lots of humor and funny one liners.

Loved the karate lesson in the beginning, with the trashcan and all. wink.gif

I thought the entire scene with the firework box was hysterically funny. "No one told me the party had moved upstairs" (or whatever his exact words are...) roller.gif
And the faces of the crane controllers when he just walks away... laugh.gif

The MacGyverisms are pretty clever indeed. The radio controlled dragon was a great distraction (the only problem I had with it was that I found it just a tiiiny bit implausible that the kids would just get rid of a fully functional toy like the dragon... kids tend to be incurable pack rats... wink.gif). And the fireworks escape was neat... good thing he didn't wear one of his more expensive jackets... tongue.gif

As for the "untouchable" appearance, I'm rather convinced it wasn't real oil, just some "ordinary" body paint that will easily be rinsed off.

It was a pleasant surprise to see George Takei as Doctor Shen Wei. As always, I see everything through my "Star Trek glasses," but I do like him as an actor, and the fact that I almost forgot about "Sulu" must mean he did a pretty decent job.

As usual, when it comes to these kind of myths in MacGyver, they don't totally dismissed them either. Neither of them knew why the handprint was a perfect match of Paul's hand.

I'll give it a "Good", but had it not been for the humor thrown in, it would have been an average at its best.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverisms
Posted on 9 March 2013 - 12:18 PM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 176
Joined: 1 Feb 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I kind of have very mixed feelings for this episode, but it does have a lot of humor and one liners. I liked the karate lesson in the beginning. I guess it did take Mac a while to perfect the basket trick. roller.gif I thought the entire scene with the fireworks crate was very funny. "No one told me the party had moved upstairs", and the faces of those dock workers as he walked away. The MacGyverisms are very clever indeed. The radio controlled dragon was a great distraction. And the fireworks escape was dynamite, and a good thing Mac didn't wear one of his more expensive jackets. The way Mac got through the steel doors using only six bullets was very cool. Though I doubt that would ever work in real life. I really liked Macs "Untouchable" look. Although I doubt they would really slather MacG.gif in oil. I give this episode an "Ok", but if not for some humor thrown in, it would been a "Good" episode.

Overall Rating: 6/10 duct.gif sak.gif jeep.gif



"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Scwilson
Posted on 9 August 2013 - 05:02 PM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 150
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Pilot
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



sak.gif Not one of my favorite episodes but it had a few positives that make MacGyver a great episode. The interaction between Mac and his friend's son was what made this episode good.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Rocket
Posted on 3 April 2014 - 07:25 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 852
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: England
SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



A good episode for all the reasons listed above.

Good MacGyverisms, nice idea behind the episode, James Hong at his hammy best, Mac escaping from some unlikely situations and some old Minnesota wisdom... What's not to like?

Also Clyde Kusatsu as Sam the Salesman, who's been in pretty much every TV series out there and is always fun to watch.

Oh, and about the oil trick? Full marks for effort, but YUCK, MAC! roller.gif



Rollerskating at right angles to reality

 
PM                                                                     
Top
denizen
Posted on 3 April 2014 - 11:13 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,069
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: South Africa
SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Everytime I see this episode, it reminds me of the Eddie Murphy movie, The Golden Child, which in all essence was the same thing.

The Eddie Murphy movie however was a little darker than this episode but I always got the feeling they must have known about the movie coming out.



"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Leevi
Posted on 27 October 2014 - 01:00 AM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Oct 2014
Gender:  Male
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Apartment



Never really liked this episode and still dont like. Definitely one of my least favourites.



 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
denizen
Posted on 25 March 2015 - 05:08 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,069
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: South Africa
SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Didn't even know this but the star that played Paul Chan, Leon Fan passed away at the tender age of 31 back in 2002. Unfortunately I cannot find anything as to what the cause of death was.

Very sad indeed.



"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Mr Duct Tape
Posted on 8 February 2016 - 06:52 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 241
Joined: 3 Oct 2015
Gender:  Male
Country: Portugal
SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (denizen @ 3 April 2014 - 11:13 AM)
Everytime I see this episode, it reminds me of the Eddie Murphy movie, The Golden Child, which in all essence was the same thing.

The Eddie Murphy movie however was a little darker than this episode but I always got the feeling they must have known about the movie coming out.

just saw thisa episode, and "The Golden Child" was on my mind the entire time too. Very similar plot and the release dates are even almost the same.

It's not one of the best episodes.

I give it 6/10



"Ok hotshot, so you got yourself a golden brown palomino between your legs, and NO reins. Now what?"

 
PM                                                                     
Top
zoeryan
Posted on 10 October 2018 - 06:07 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I liked that Mac just kept getting randomly attacked the entire first half lol, also it was fun to see Sulu and his overdramatic death expressions lol. The untouchable disguise was fun too. Gave it a 4.






"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

 
PM                                                                     
Top
sylvain1888
Posted on 31 October 2020 - 06:44 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 280
Joined: 19 Jul 2020
Gender:  Male
Country: France
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Not one of my favorite episodes, but he has a rather sustained narration, the participation of Tia Carrere, George Takai etc., the well-transmitted legend, after which is not a favorite, but he lets himself be watched.

In France, the title of this episode is “the desired child”.

4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️



 
PM                                                                     
Top
sylvain1888
Posted on 7 November 2020 - 12:09 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 280
Joined: 19 Jul 2020
Gender:  Male
Country: France
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



A cult scene



 
PM                                                                     
Top
sylvain1888
Posted on 7 November 2020 - 12:11 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 280
Joined: 19 Jul 2020
Gender:  Male
Country: France
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



MacPhoenix trailer



 
PM                                                                     
Top
sylvain1888
Posted on 9 November 2020 - 04:25 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 280
Joined: 19 Jul 2020
Gender:  Male
Country: France
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Beachbead @ 29 April 2009 - 10:48 AM)
The Finnish episode title is "Ihmelapsi", meaning "Prodigy".

Thanks for the information, it's always interesting to know the episode titles in Our Neighbors ...



 
PM                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll