052 - The Widowmaker
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
 
How did you rate this episode?
user posted image [ 1 ]  [2.22%]
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 6 ]  [13.33%]
user posted image [ 38 ]  [84.44%]
Total Votes: 45
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Maclover
Posted on 15 September 2015 - 09:56 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Gender:  Female
Country:
SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Thanks for the welcomes both.

KiwiTek, Fwiw I also thought it strange that the harness should fail, maybe it was an old bit of kit that hasn't been changed out when it should! I guess they had to find a mechanism to bring about an accident that Mac couldn't prevent or solve to make the story work. So, if that meant a bit of failed kit then so be it.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
KiwiTek
Posted on 15 September 2015 - 11:31 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 4,093
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:  Male
Country: NZ
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Maclover @ 15 September 2015 - 09:56 AM)
Thanks for the welcomes both.

KiwiTek, Fwiw I also thought it strange that the harness should fail, maybe it was an old bit of kit that hasn't been changed out when it should! I guess they had to find a mechanism to bring about an accident that Mac couldn't prevent or solve to make the story work. So, if that meant a bit of failed kit then so be it.

Climbers are really strict about their safety gear because, after all, their lives depend on it, so even the old harness theory doesn't really work very well.

I would have like to have seen the failure been in the rope. It could have frayed or been cut against a sharp bit of rock as she fell leaving it weakened and then full failure while she hung there. It would have been much more realistic.




 
PM                                                                     
Top
RyLo10
  Posted on 21 September 2015 - 05:31 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 25
Joined: 7 May 2014
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Equipment can be checked, double checked, triple checked, etc. Sometimes freak things just happen no matter how many precautions are taken.
Whether fate is real or not, I think that's what this episode is about. And the unexpected things that happen to us as human beings.
It's awful what happens to Mike but that was her fate. Then MacGyver hits "rock bottom" in the land of the living. So he's forced to rise again when Murdoc shows up out of nowhere. And who's the last person he expected help from? Nikki.
Mac takes on a lot in this one: losing someone close to him, isolation, vulnerability, a vengeful nemesis he thought long dead and facing his fear of heights. The whole episode is just a cluster of "are you kidding me?!" moments. That's why it's my favorite.



"How do you come up with this stuff?" - Lisa Woodman
"The stuff's already here. I just come up with a different way to use it." - MacGyver

"Remember me, MacGyver? When last we parted, I had a couple of broken bones and you left me with a whole lot of burnt flesh!" - Murdoc

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Maclover
Posted on 22 September 2015 - 05:23 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Gender:  Female
Country:
SAK owned: 5 x lge & small

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



RyLo10, I read it slightly differently, I don't think it was Nikki that helped, she just provided someone for him to help and I think it could have been anyone in that role. The person that distracted Mac for long enough to realize that the world was still revolving was Murdoc and really neither Mac or Murdoc would have wanted that, I think that's the hidden message in the episode. Though I would have been quite happy for him to cry on my shoulder. ;-)



 
PM                                                                     
Top
DashboardOnFire
Posted on 15 April 2016 - 08:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


Reboot Specialist
*********

Posts: 9,334
Joined: 15 Apr 2016
Gender:  Female
Country: Switzerland
SAK owned: a red one ;-)

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I think this was the first MacGyver Episode I ever saw, that's why it will always have a special place in my heart.

I guess I was about 8 or 9 years old... long, long time ago ;-)



That's always a sign you might be in trouble if your dashboard is on fire...
Currently blogging about the MacGyver Reboot on Dashboard On Fire

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
zoeryan
Posted on 27 October 2018 - 08:21 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Overall I really like this episode - although there are some things that seem unlikely - the *only* place they can run is too the top the mountain where a good idea is to free climb? I know it works for the plot but it seems like a terrible plan lol. They had a whole forest, it's not like they had to stay on the path with Murdock chasing them.

Mike's harness clearly snapped accidentally, that made her fall, not her first emotional fall. At the beginning Mac is hanging without worry. The part that frayed looked like it clearly fell with her, so I'm not sure how it was attached to the rope for Mac to find later - but that's nitpicking.

Not a fan of the change of actress for Mike, it makes the character's personality really different, which is frustrating.

it's hard to watch Stallone's movie Cliffhanger without thinking of this one - based on the exact same premise of a harness strap tearing.



"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 12:03 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Maybe the only way up is through the forrest so they would've ended up there anyway. Besides Murdoc mined the path to the road.

QUOTE
it's hard to watch Stallone's movie Cliffhanger without thinking of this one - based on the exact same premise of a harness strap tearing

And to watch Die Hard without thinking of Phoenix Under Siege or The Silence of the Lambs without thinking of Deadly Dreams.

You might wonder where these movies got their inspiration from? hmm.bmp



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
zoeryan
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 07:42 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 27 October 2018 - 04:03 AM)
Maybe the only way up is through the forrest so they would've ended up there anyway. Besides Murdoc mined the path to the road.

QUOTE
it's hard to watch Stallone's movie Cliffhanger without thinking of this one - based on the exact same premise of a harness strap tearing

And to watch Die Hard without thinking of Phoenix Under Siege or The Silence of the Lambs without thinking of Deadly Dreams.

You might wonder where these movies got their inspiration from? hmm.bmp

Right but you can walk through a forest, you don't have to stay on the path, so they could have doubled back around?


It is impressive all those movies came out AFTER MacGyver!



"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 08:01 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Then it shouldn't have been called The Widowmaker but The Forest or something. The point is Mac had to face his fears while he was on the run from Murdoc.

QUOTE
It is impressive all those movies came out AFTER MacGyver!

Well actually there already was a Hannibal Lecter movie released before Silence of the Lambs and the first Die Hard is based on a book release somewhere during that time. Only Die Hard came in 1988 while Phoenix Under Siege was released in 1987.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
zoeryan
Posted on 28 October 2018 - 10:49 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 27 October 2018 - 12:01 PM)
Then it shouldn't have been called The Widowmaker but The Forest or something. The point is Mac had to face his fears while he was on the run from Murdoc.


Oh I get that for the plot he had to conquer the mountain and save Nikki from falling, but I'm just saying it was a little contrived that the only direction they could go was to the top of the mountain - also its unusual the cabin would be at the top and not the bottom of the mountain laugh.gif - they were going through forest and all of a sudden they were at the top!



"I'm not perfect.... yet."

"Are you crazy?" "It's been rumored..."

 
PM                                                                     
Top
macgybl
Posted on 11 October 2025 - 10:27 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 276
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Survivors
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I know this isn't a popular response to this episode, but I'll say it....I don't think it's that great.

The helicopter shots are probably my favorite parts of the episode

The episode seemed all over the place, Nikki and Pete trying to comfort Mac which is certainly understandable,

The murdoc scene with the flame thrower and log cabin are good, but everything else about the episode just doesn't do it for me....the melodrama with Mike and her reaction to Mac pushing back seems very juvenile..

Nikki climbing at the end is insane, that's Expert level climbing and it seems like she has zero experience , even Mac doesn't seem very experienced! when we see him climbing with mike

I'd rate it 6.5 /10



 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Myrtle Groggins
Posted on 11 October 2025 - 06:12 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 228
Joined: 10 Nov 2015
Gender:  Female
Country: Europe
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Birth Day, Soft Touch
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Second Loft



I used to feel similar. The character drama is a bit much. But most of all Murdoc has always seemed like out of a different genre to me. Still this and Strictly Business are the only Murdoc episodes I unequivocally like. Because they're in the woods the whole time I guess.

As an in-universe aside, we now know that it's a very bad idea to ask people to be in a relationship when they're in a distress situation. It's very tragic, for one

Nikki prescribing meanness to MacGyver's PTSD we now know is outright cruel, and back then it felt more like a plot device than something that would come out of the story.

Why it works is because the episode doesn't hinge on those things. It's just them in the woods. And once it's in the Murdoc situation both MacGyver and Nikki are back to being their regular characters. Oh and their situations are not comparable, and if anything that adds to MacGyver's problems, but you know, just in a drama sense.

Oh and The Harrison Cue is wonderful. It should have won a Grammy. Or be remixed into a regular length Detroit Techno type song. It's incredibly late 80s autumn.



 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll