Every week I will be posting a new topic titled "Episode Discussion". In this we will discuss an episode, what we liked about it, what we didn't like, etc.
Episode 52 - The Widowmaker
While grieving the lose oh his friend while mountain-climbing, MacGyver is confronted with an old nemesis from the past who wants revenge.
Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
From May 2006
Poor [ 0 ] [0.00%] Average [ 0 ] [0.00%] OK [ 0 ] [0.00%] Good [ 3 ] [11.11%] Excellent [ 24 ] [88.89%] Total Votes: 27
Archived Comments
QUOTE (Beth Aug 21 2005 @ 05:54 PM )
This is one of my favorite episodes. RDA did such a good job of showing the pain and guilt that MacGyver was going through, believing that he was responsible for Mike's death. I loved the emotional scene between MacGyver and Pete around the camp fire. My heart absolutely broke for him.
I also enjoyed the peek into MacGyver's psyche as far as his attitude toward women. It has been established in a number of episodes that Mac has a problem with "commitment." In "Widowmaker" you can really see his dicomfort when Mike reveals her feelings about Mac and talks about "all those women".
I also liked the way Nikki tried to do what she could to help MacGyver get past his pain. I can't recall exactly at what stage their relationship was at during this point in the series concerning the initial abrasion that they felt toward each other, but this episode had to have helped immensly in resolving that conflict and making them closer toward being freinds.
I'm not quite sure why, but I loved that scene where Mac is laying on the dock using the crate as a pillow. It just struck me as amusing, I guess. happy.gif
I felt sorry for Pete, though. Murdoc torched his cabin! Of course he did his just desserts in the end (as usual).
I did have one little nitpick about it though. Murdoc set all those trip wires on the road to stop them from using it, but what was to stop them from simply leaving the road and walking around the trap in the woods off to the side of the road? huh.gif hmm.bmp
RDA is very self-depricating about his acting abilities, but I think he did a fantastic job in "Widowmaker." I didn't actually cry, but I wanted to.
Way to go Rick! clapping.gif
QUOTE (rockatteer Aug 21 2005 @ 09:25 PM )
I remember the first time I ever watched this episode. I recall a scene where Pete is talking about "Mac without the light behind his eyes", then when Nikki goes to visit him, we get a close up of Macs face... and the thing which amazed me was, you could actually see the pain in his eyes, the light was indeed gone. They where just dark and full of pain.
I remeber saying somethign to my parents about it at the time as we watched it, somethign about the lights behind his eyes are gone.
It doesn't seem to have the same impact on me any more, but I remember its original impresion was total amazement at Ricks expression and acting of that scene. I don't remember ever thinking that about any other scene in any show or movie before or since.
sak.gif
QUOTE (MacGyverGod Aug 21 2005 @ 11:53 PM )
I voted excellent for this great if not classic episode in the series. Great opening scene. The fall, the return of Murdoc, the finale at the mountain. clapping.gif
QUOTE
I loved the emotional scene between MacGyver and Pete around the camp fire. My heart absolutely broke for him.
dry.gif It was good scene, an intense scene but my heart absolutely didn't broke for him.
QUOTE
I also enjoyed the peek into MacGyver's psyche as far as his attitude toward women. It has been established in a number of episodes that Mac has a problem with "commitment." In "Widowmaker" you can really see his dicomfort when Mike reveals her feelings about Mac and talks about "all those women".
dry.gif
QUOTE
I also liked the way Nikki tried to do what she could to help MacGyver get past his pain. I can't recall exactly at what stage their relationship was at during this point in the series concerning the initial abrasion that they felt toward each other, but this episode had to have helped immensly in resolving that conflict and making them closer toward being freinds.
Well in this episode she makes clear that she "cares" for him. Her third episode already of the six.
QUOTE
I'm not quite sure why, but I loved that scene where Mac is laying on the dock using the crate as a pillow. It just struck me as amusing, I guess.
Maybe not so amusing, maybe because he didn't had anyhing else to lean against. And I don't think he cared.
QUOTE
I felt sorry for Pete, though. Murdoc torched his cabin!
Ooh, boohoo!!!
QUOTE
I did have one little nitpick about it though. Murdoc set all those trip wires on the road to stop them from using it, but what was to stop them from simply leaving the road and walking around the trap in the woods off to the side of the road?
They noticed the mines!!! No wonder they go around it.
QUOTE
RDA is very self-depricating about his acting abilities, but I think he did a fantastic job in "Widowmaker."
Yeah, it was alright.
QUOTE
I didn't actually cry, but I wanted to.
dry.gif Oh, for Gods sakes, please!!!
QUOTE (MacGirl Aug 22 2005 @ 01:33 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE (rockatteer @ Aug 21 2005, 09:25 PM) I remember the first time I ever watched this episode. I recall a scene where Pete is talking about "Mac without the light behind his eyes", then when Nikki goes to visit him, we get a close up of Macs face... and the thing which amazed me was, you could actually see the pain in his eyes, the light was indeed gone. They where just dark and full of pain.
Yes, I agree with that, Rock. This is one of the scenes that has stayed with me for the last fifteen years (!). It was partly his expression, and partly the way they did the lighting in the scene, I think. But it was so powerful!! As I know I've said before, part of the reason I got so hooked on the show was that they showed Mac as fully human, with the whole range of emotions, and RDA is one of those actors who is *excellent* at conveying deep emotion without saying a word. And I know Pete had a *fantastic* line in this scene, but it's escaping me right now. ARRGH!
Definitely an excellent from me!!
QUOTE (Beth Aug 22 2005 @ 01:41 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE QUOTE I didn't actually cry, but I wanted to.
dry.gif Oh, for Gods sakes, please!!!
Poor MG! You really do have a problem with this kind of stuff, don't you? happy.gif
I just happen to be a very empathic person - I feel for the pain of others. However, as far as watching TV or movies goes, since I know that it is fiction, it takes a really great acting job in order to make me feel that strongly.
Normally, because I do know that what's happening on the screen is not real, it doesn't affect me emotionally. That's why horror movies don't scare me. In fact during the parts where most people are cringing, hiding their eyes, or screaming, I'm usually laughing. That monster just reached into that guy's chest and ripped out his still-beating heart! Eeeeeewwww! LOL! laugh.gif
However, if I know that a movie is based on actual events, or I'm watching a documentary, that's another story altogether. I have a real problem watching shows like Cops or Emergency, since that's real life and those people are actually experiencing real fear or physical/emotional pain. I've found myself turning the channel when something really disturbing happens. I don't even watch these types of shows anymore.
So, in order for me to really feel that badly for MacGyver means that RDA did a very good job at communicating the pain that MacGyver was in through his acting. Rock was right about the "light behind his eyes."
Good job Rick! clapping.gif
QUOTE (MacGyverGod Aug 22 2005 @ 03:53 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE Normally, because I do know that what's happening on the screen is not real, it doesn't affect me emotionally. That's why horror movies don't scare me.
You got to know how to live your self in it. It usually does to me. If it affects you emotionally it's been well done. That's why I like horrorfilms. Take a look at The Fly, or Ju-On The Grudge.
QUOTE
QUOTE I just happen to be a very empathic person - I feel for the pain of others.
So do I. I felt sorry for Mac too but different. With Mac and with most of the characters I'm a fan of I like to live into the action and adventure and the drama.
QUOTE
QUOTE I've found myself turning the channel when something really disturbing happens.
That's when I get the kicks. But of course it all depends on the reality.
QUOTE (MacGyver Aug 22 2005 @ 06:06 AM )
"The Widowmaker" is a great, classic episode of MacGyver mainly because it features the return of Murdoc!!! I must admit, the MacGyver-Murdoc confrontations were one of the main reasons I really got into watching the show. And MacGyver sent a message over the phone line in Morse code- pretty cool for the MacGyverism part. And it was also quite an emotional episode as we witnessed the death of Mike and MacGyver blaming himself for it. And it was great seeing Pete and Nikki and Jack Dalton all trying to reach out to him. And kind of surprising to see Nikki, as she generally clashed with MacGyver all the time. But it showed that no matter their differences, she certainly cared about Mac at least as a coworker and friend. And it took Nikki's safety to spring MacGyver back into life. And Murdoc has one of his more spectacular "deaths", falling off a cliff, all the while screaming, "MacGyver!!!!!!!!!!" Does anyone remember what the resolution of the episode was? On the WGN airings, the episode ends when Nikki asks MacGyver how he's feeling and he replies, "Good. Real Good."
I'm thinking there's more to it, but I can't remember right now. Possibly TV Land or Spike has shown the full ending.
And Pete does have an awesome line in this episode. "The funny thing about running away is that you always take yourself with you."
Another great episode, as usual!!!! sak.gif duct.gif
QUOTE (Beth Aug 22 2005 @ 06:13 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE You got to know how to live your self in it. It usually does to me. If it affects you emotionally it's been well done. That's why I like horrorfilms. Take a look at The Fly, or Ju-On The Grudge.
I do try to, but it isn't often that I get scared by horror movies. I saw The Grude and it didn't do it for me although I enjoyed it. That kid was really creepy!
One time I did get a bit... um... nervous, during a horror movie. I was watching The Blair Witch Project. I don't think that it normally would have been a problem for me but the circumstances were unusual. For one thing, I was at home alone watching it on Halloween night, of all nights! Again, this wouldn't really haven't have been a factor either (I love Halloween!) except for what happened while I was watching the movie.
My couch is right next to a stairwell that has a light in it. The light kept turning on by itself. ohmy.gif I'd get up, turn it off, and go back to watching the movie. But a few minutes later it would turn on again. After about a dozen times of this happening, I finally gave up and left it on.
That got to me! It hasn't happened since then either!
You bet I got creeped out! Going to bed right after the movie was a very tense experience. I haven't cowered under my blankets since I was a kid! laugh.gif
QUOTE
QUOTE With Mac and with most of the characters I'm a fan of I like to live into the action and adventure and the drama.
With TV and movies, to really enjoy them, I think that you have to get into the characters. I do that too. If I didn't, I wouldn't have felt so bad for MacGyver. When you are a regular viewer of a TV show you get to know the characters and care about them. Or hate them. Or love to hate them, like Murdoc. It's all part of the TV viewing experience. If you didn't care about (or hate) the characters, then the actors aren't doing their jobs.
MacGyver is a very likable guy.
Not to mention a hottie! laugh.gif wub.gif love.jpg
(Sorry, MG - I just couldn't resist!) clown.gif
QUOTE (sonyab Aug 22 2005 @ 07:30 AM )
I voted excellent!!!! smile.gif Love murdoc.. smile.gif this was an awesome episode. Murdoc has alot of tricks... I don't know if anyone remembers this but Murdoc flips between the mines that he sets.. smile.gif you will see when the 3rd season comes out in september.. Hmmm next month!!! smile.gif Poor MacGyver loses his best friend and blames himself. sad.gif Everytime I watch him blame himself and is upset I get emotional.. When Nikki says he looks awful yeah I agree.. No light in MacGyver's eyes? Yes! How he does that? I have no idea.. Great acting Rick!!! Awesome just awesome..
QUOTE (sonyab Aug 22 2005 @ 07:39 AM)
QUOTE
QUOTE (MacGyver @ Aug 21 2005, 01:06 PM) And it took Nikki's safety to spring MacGyver back into life. And Murdoc has one of his more spectacular "deaths", falling off a cliff, all the while screaming, "MacGyver!!!!!!!!!!"
Actually it took Murdoc being there and trying to kill them to spring MacGyver back to life. smile.gif Nikki was nice to MacGyver I will give her that.. But I still don't like her. smile.gif
QUOTE (SAK Aug 22 2005 @ 07:49 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE On the WGN airings, the episode ends when Nikki asks MacGyver how he's feeling and he replies, "Good. Real Good."
I'm thinking there's more to it, but I can't remember right now. Possibly TV Land or Spike has shown the full ending.
Yes, there is a closing segment in which Mac is shown contructing makeshift climbing gear for he and Nikki.
And during that scene, Nikki says something to him like..."One minute, you can't stand to look down the mountain...and the next minute, you're a mountain goat!"
Great episode!!!
sak.gif
QUOTE (rockatteer Aug 22 2005 @ 07:56 AM)
QUOTE
QUOTE And MacGyver sent a message over the phone line in Morse code- pretty cool for the MacGyverism part
Yep, pretty, kewl... although there is one thing that bugs me about that... and any other scene from any other movie or show where they use morse code.... How is it that there is always someone on the other end who can read morse code?
.-. --- -.-. -.-
QUOTE (MacNymph Aug 22 2005 @ 08:06 AM )
Yep, pretty, kewl... although there is one thing that bugs me about that... and any other scene from any other movie or show where they use morse code.... How is it that there is always someone on the other end who can read morse code?
QUOTE (MacGyverGod Aug 22 2005 @ 10:59 PM)
QUOTE
QUOTE you will see when the 3rd season comes out in september.. Hmmm next month!!!
Not fair ya know!!! Hmm... when did the second came out? The first one came out approx two months after it was supposed to be. Like six months after it came out elsewhere. Hmm... maybe we're always one set behind? When you get the third we'll probably get the second. I checked the DVD-release list of the store in the town and it's not on it. And the list already goes till 2006. I hope that gets changed.
Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacNymph Aug 23 2005 @ 05:25 AM )
I can't comment on this episode because the one and only time I saw it (sort of) it was well into the show. Nikki and Mac were on the side of a cliff talking about the person that had died there. I didn't know it was Mike... and that it had happened earlier in the same episode!! w00t.gif roller.gif (<<crying)
*sniff*
*sniff sniff*
QUOTE (MacGirl Aug 23 2005 @ 03:56 PM )
QUOTE
QUOTE (MacGyver @ Aug 22 2005, 06:06 AM) And Pete does have an awesome line in this episode. "The funny thing about running away is that you always take yourself with you."
THAT'S the line I was trying to think of!! Thanks! You would think I'd remember one of my all-time favorite lines... dry.gif And very, very true. Watching this show again, I'm astounded at how much wisdom there is in it... and that's one of the (many) reasons I'm enjoying it as much or more fifteen years later.
QUOTE (Beth Aug 24 2005 @ 04:34 AM)
In case no one has figured it out yet, that bit of Morse code traslates as follows:
"R" .-.
"O" ---
"C" -.-.
"K" -.-
QUOTE (creay5 Aug 26 2005 @ 05:51 PM )
Widowmaker was a great episode. I agree that RDA does indeed have a real talent for convaying deep emotions without needing words. He did a really wonderful job of showing a slightly different side of Mac than we usually get to see. It's interesting because when I watched that episode on TV a couple weeks ago (gotta love TV Land and Spike) it struck me that of all the MacGyvers I've seen, in that one Mac actually reminded me a wee little bit of Jack (Stargate SG1). Usually those two characters don't really remind me much of each other, except in certain RDA-centric ways of course. But the way Mac reacted to his intense pain and guilt over Mike's death by pulling away from his friends and from life - trying to isolate himself emotionally and temporarily losing that innocent openess of his - the 'light behind his eyes' as was so aptly pointed out earlier in this thread... for some reason it just reminded me a little of the way RDA played Jack sometimes, which doubly confirmed my opinion that RDA is a talented actor. Because without the viewer realizing it and even despite all the humor, he always played Jack's character as someone with a certain underlying measure of pain, guilt and unresolved hurt lingering in the background, which is perhaps one of the many little things that makes the characters feel so unique and different, despite all that they do have in common. Mac has been hurt, sometimes very devestatingly, but it never seems to work its way into a damaging lasting effect on his psyche and personality. Whereas RDA really did portray Jack as someone with a deep well of past hurt that he could "sometimes forget, but never forgive", to paraphrase a line from "Children of the Gods". "Widowmaker" brought that into very clear focus for me because we got to see Mac in that light for a little while, got to see what might have happened to him if he hadn't had friends to help pull him back and a convienently timed homicidal lunitic to help jerk him out of his funk. laugh.gif Anyway, the contrasts got me thinking. Of course... it could just be that it's almost 2AM in the morning and my brain is just shot, that's possible too. tongue.gif
Okay, getting off that tangent and back onto the episode... wink.gif I also really liked Murdoc's reappearance of course. Any episode with him is a good one! And I like that by the end, Mac was starting to become himself again. Not that we ever doubted he would, but still... happy.gif Also liked the rock climbing. As an amature rock climber myself, it's always fun to watch people I like climb on TV or in movies. Of course, personally, I think they should have sued the manufacturer of Mike's gear, because harnesses are NOT supposed to rip that way unless there's something quite wrong with them. *shudders* Every climber's nightmare.
All around a very good ep!
QUOTE (MacGirl Aug 29 2005 @ 07:07 PM)
QUOTE
QUOTE (creay5 @ Aug 26 2005, 05:51 PM) Of course, personally, I think they should have sued the manufacturer of Mike's gear, because harnesses are NOT supposed to rip that way unless there's something quite wrong with them. *shudders* Every climber's nightmare.
But there WAS something wrong with Mike's harness... Murdoc sabotaged it. Don't you remember towards the end, where Mac and Nikki are climbing that same face of the mountain to get away from Murdoc? Mac finds a piece of Mike's harness still anchored in the rock, and finds that it has been partially cut. That's when he put two and two together and figured out what Murdoc was doing there.
As for Mac's "innocence," I guess I never really saw that. Mac always seemed to me to be haunted by all of what he had seen over the years, starting when he was a kid, when his best friend died after being accidentally shot. His parents' deaths, and losing so many friends over the years, seemed to combine sometimes to weigh him down. It wasn't always obvious, as he could be pretty cheerful, and he loved to laugh, but if you look at Mac sometimes in those moments when he thought no one was watching, you can see some sadness around his eyes and mouth. I noticed it almost from the first ep I saw.
QUOTE (rockatteer Aug 29 2005 @ 07:53 PM)
QUOTE
QUOTE but if you look at Mac sometimes in those moments when he thought no one was watching, you can see some sadness around his eyes and mouth. I noticed it almost from the first ep I saw.
You sure thats not a bit of Rick sneeking into Mac?
QUOTE (MacGirl Aug 29 2005 @ 09:24 PM )
I don't know. It's hard to tell sometimes how much of what you're seeing is Rick and how much is the character he's playing. I had never seen any of his work before "MacGyver," so I wouldn't have much to compare it to. I noticed it in "Past the Bleachers," but maybe that was just the particular character.
QUOTE (rockatteer Aug 29 2005 @ 09:52 PM)
Have you sen it in Jack at all? If so, it does sound more like a bit of Rick sneaking into his charecters.
QUOTE (creay5 Aug 30 2005 @ 04:38 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE (MacGirl @ Aug 29 2005, 03:07 AM) But there WAS something wrong with Mike's harness... Murdoc sabotaged it. Don't you remember towards the end, where Mac and Nikki are climbing that same face of the mountain to get away from Murdoc? Mac finds a piece of Mike's harness still anchored in the rock, and finds that it has been partially cut. That's when he put two and two together and figured out what Murdoc was doing there.
ohmy.gif THANK YOU for answering a question that has bothered me for a long time! I know, I'm slow headbutt.gif but I actually never put all that together. Duh. *rolls eyes at herself* tongue.gif
Oh I agree that Mac has his share of past hurts and things haunting him, and sometimes you can really see that in him. It's one of those things that makes a character believable and 3D. But I guess it's more the way he deals with them that strikes me as different than Jack. Mac hurts, but he usually doesn't let it drive him completely inward, at least not drastically. It seems to me that he has managed (or perhaps chosen is a better word) to hang onto his trusting nature no matter what. As one kid put it in an episode I can't remember the name of right now "Are you kidding? MacGyver trusts everybody until they go after him with a lead pipe!" (or something like that). biggrin.gif Jack tends to curl back more and stay curled back longer, and he does not trust easily. I guess that was the difference I was trying to pin down. *shrugs* but that's just my opinion. I could be way off. In any event RDA is an awesome actor for the way he does both characters in my opinion. happy.gif
QUOTE (MacGirl Aug 30 2005 @ 10:34 AM )
I've never seen SG-1 (I know, I know, I'm deprived! I live with my mom, and she doesn't get the "premium" channels, of which Sci-Fi is one) so I can't compare Mac and Jack.
And you're more than welcome, creay5! Don't feel bad: it was something that was easy to miss, and/or easy to forget about. I guess "Widowmaker" really made an impression on me, and that's why I've remembered it for so long.
QUOTE (creay5 Aug 31 2005 @ 04:22 AM )
You've never seen SG-1?! You poor thing! I know what you mean about the premium channels though. I *finally* have the Sci-Fi channel now, but we didn't used to have premium or ANY cable actually for a long time, so I actually saw most of them off of the DVDs.
happy.gif Thanks for being so kind. Looks like I learn something new every day I guess!
QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 14 2005 @ 08:36 PM )
Just saw this one again (for the first time in how many years...?) biggrin.gif
Still love Pete's line, "The problem with running is you always wind up taking yourself with you." Aah, so true!
And it was fun to watch Mac and Nikki dependent on each other to survive... for a little while there, while they were on the mountain with Murdoc after them, they forgot to hate each other. laugh.gif After the bad start they got off to, it was good to see them actually getting along, even if it was only for the moment.
Mac's method of sending the SOS was great, too. Hmm... a bracelet, a belt, a rope, and a phone wire... that's our Mac!! Gotta love him!!!!!
QUOTE (thyla Sep 15 2005 @ 09:08 AM)
QUOTE
QUOTE (MacGirl @ Sep 14 2005, 03:36 AM)
Still love Pete's line, "The problem with running is you always wind up taking yourself with you."
That's one of my all time favorite Mac lines clapping.gif
Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (Amy Sep 20 2005 @ 07:22 AM )
I voted excellent! In my book any ep with Murdoc=excellent! He's the bad guy you love to hate. He's so bent on revenge it makes you wonder what he does with the rest of his life!
Every time I see the scene where Mike is spilling her heart I think "C'mon Mac!! Don't screw it up!" But even though he shuts her down, he doesn't cause her death. It's like one of those moments you look back at after something happens and you think "What if I had..." She was upset, but maybe she would have fallen even if Mac had said what she'd wanted to hear, too. It really hurt to watch his angst. I watched the same thing happen to one of my best friends (because of a completely different type of situation)--the light in his eyes fading, cutting himself off from the people who love him. It's frightening and soul wrenching. I liked how the extreme circumstances with Murdoc showing up kicked him in the butt. As soon as he knew Murdoc was near instinct kicked in and Mac was back. I also can't imagine the thoughts that were flying through Mac's brain when he realized they had to go down the cliff in the same place where Mike had died and then seeing the signs of her presence there. It must have ripped the hole in his heart bigger but at the same time steeled his resolve to survive.
But there WAS something wrong with Mike's harness... Murdoc sabotaged it. Don't you remember towards the end, where Mac and Nikki are climbing that same face of the mountain to get away from Murdoc? Mac finds a piece of Mike's harness still anchored in the rock, and finds that it has been partially cut. That's when he put two and two together and figured out what Murdoc was doing there.
QUOTE
Are you sure about that Macgirl? Murdoc didn't know where Mac was until he gleaned it from the answering machine and then he went to the store and milked Nikki for info. Hmmm.
Couple of things I wondered about this episode: Is Mike the same woman who played Mike in Jack of Lies? For some reason I didn't think she looked like the same person. Also I had to wonder how in the world Murdoc figured out exactly where they were on the rock face and just swung out of nowhere to that exact spot--especially since it was covered from above and he wouldn't have seen the place. huh.gif
QUOTE (MacNymph Sep 21 2005 @ 04:08 AM )
I saw it last night!! WOOOO HOOOOO
Season 3 DVDs Season 3 DVDs Season 3 DVDs jump.gif partyblow.gif (sorry MGod sad.gif )
Anyway...
That was NOT Mike. They could have thrown any name on that chick. What a gip. Yeah, yeah, yeah... the audience needed a familiar name so we would feel the lost but that was NOT Mike. mad.gif
And you're right Amy, Mike's *coughs* (NOT) harness wasn't sabotaged.. at least not by Murdoc. He followed Nikki up there.
laugh.gif He did a country accent. That was funny. And his face was all scarred up but his hair was all purty. laugh.gif
Geesh he was well equipped.. all that kewl stuff right there in his truck. happy.gif
When Mac made the make shift arc welder and reached out and lit him up. laugh.gif blowup.gif
Really good acting by Rick. It's kinda too bad they didn't let him stretch more often but then again I guess watching Mac wallow in self doubt wouldn't have been fun on a regular basis.
QUOTE (sonyab Sep 21 2005 @ 04:21 AM )
Did they show the part of Murdoc doing those flip between the mines? Or was that taken out? If you saw it wasn't that amazing? smile.gif Murdoc is good! smile.gif
QUOTE (MacNymph Sep 21 2005 @ 04:33 AM )
huh.gif FLIPS?
Ahhhhh c'mon. FLIPS?
No.. they just showed him kinda tippy toeing threw the trip wires.
Flips?
QUOTE (Amy Sep 21 2005 @ 07:22 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE Geesh he was well equipped.. all that kewl stuff right there in his truck.
laugh.gif Convenient, eh?
I don't remember flips either. Hmmmm.
QUOTE (sonyab Sep 21 2005 @ 09:55 AM )
Hmmm that means they took it out.. damn..
QUOTE (Amy Sep 25 2005 @ 11:32 PM)
QUOTE
QUOTE Yep, pretty, kewl... although there is one thing that bugs me about that... and any other scene from any other movie or show where they use morse code.... How is it that there is always someone on the other end who can read morse code?
laugh.gif What a coincidence, eh? I've thought that too, but just never put it into words! But this time was more believable--you'll remember, Mac recalls that Ellard knows Morse code. Just happens that he's on the phone when it comes through...
Oh yeah, this one also contains your other pet peeve, Rock! The doors to Nikki's truck lock mysteriously and they can't unlock them! Wonder what it is that keeps that manual knob from being pulled back up? The wonders of TV--you don't have to explain hardly anything. Wait we should be in Nitpickland, shouldn't we...
QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 27 2005 @ 09:55 AM)
OK, then explain something to me. If Murdoc didn't sabotage Mike's harness, then why was it cut halfway through?! I don't think Mike would have done that to her own equipment, and Lord knows Mac would NEVER have hurt her deliberately. Isn't it possible that Murdoc WAS there on the mountain, (maybe having figured out where Mac was in one of his many devious ways), sabotaged Mike's harness, then went to Mac's houseboat and did his dirty work there, then returned to the mountain to take on Mac? I don't think we can discount any possibility when Murdoc is involved!!
QUOTE (sonyab Sep 27 2005 @ 10:30 AM )
Uhhh no Murdoc didn't do it.. He didn't know where they were. Remember Murdoc went to Mac's houseboat looking for him.. Then Nikki called and left a message and Murdoc overheard it. That's where Murdoc found the mountain pamphlet.. Her harness wasn't cut it just slipped off..
QUOTE (Amy Sep 27 2005 @ 01:10 PM )
Her harness didn't just slip off, Sonya--but it did fail--not because Murdoc cut it. I think it was honestly just one of those freak things that happens--yeah she was an experienced climber and probably checked her equipment a hundred times, but there's always that one time. I don't know a whole lot about climbing, but I'm sure the equipment goes through a lot of repetitive stress, plus the fact that she fell, stressing that point even further.
You're right Sonya--just watched it again last night--when Murdoc's in the house boat and listening to Nikki's message, he even asks where Mac is, kind of talking to himself, and then he sees the brochure for Widowmaker.
Macgirl, you did say there was a point where Mac realized what Murdoc did, but I don't think that's what he realized at all. I think as he was looking at that failed harness, he finally started to see that just maybe there was a possibility that there was nothing he could have done and that it wasn't his fault. Mac and Nikki's conversation at that point even follows that line of thinking.
I agree with you that Murdoc is unnaturally resourceful and turns up at the most convenient places, but I don't think he was in on the harness thing. It just happened. I thought the harness looked more frayed than cut, but maybe it looks cut because the studio had to do something to it to make it look like it could have if it had failed for real.
QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 27 2005 @ 05:16 PM )
So then it was total coincidence that Murdoc showed up? Hmm. Little too convenient. dry.gif
And no, Mike's harness didn't just slip off... remember when they showed her hanging unconscious from the rope? It distinctly snapped.
QUOTE (Amy Sep 27 2005 @ 11:20 PM)
QUOTE
QUOTE So then it was total coincidence that Murdoc showed up? Hmm. Little too convenient.
Look at practically all the times Murdoc shows up--it usually seems too convenient. He's like the king of coincidence--showing up at the right place at a time that just isn't all that great for Mac.
To me it was obvious that he had to have been staking out Mac's place--he knew he hadn't been there in a while--thus his planned message on the mantle and fishing around for some clue as to Mac's whereabouts, listening to the message and finding the brochure. The happy coincidence of Murdoc's timing (with the situation of Mac's despondency) probably added to his glee in exacting his revenge.
QUOTE (MacGirl Sep 29 2005 @ 05:05 PM )
Hmm... true, Amy. That was the one thing that bugged me about the "Murdoc angle" (as I call it). Murdoc was always showing up at overly convenient moments. What I would have liked to see is more of Murdoc's activities between the times he actually goes after Mac, like maybe some foreshadowing in the ep before, so his appearances make a little more sense. Also, it would have been nice to know more of why Murdoc went after Mac in the first place... was it strictly because Mac was in the wrong place at the wrong time in Partners?
Ah, the things I would have done if I were a writer on the show!! tongue.gif Well, I guess that's why we have fanfic! biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Amy Sep 29 2005 @ 11:41 PM)
QUOTE
QUOTE I would have liked to see is more of Murdoc's activities between the times he actually goes after Mac, like maybe some foreshadowing in the ep before, so his appearances make a little more sense.
laugh.gif Did anything Murdoc do make sense? laugh.gif I do agree with you a bit there, though--some foreshadowing would have added suspense and you'd be wondering "what's he up to now and when's he gonna strike?????" Especially if it was strung out over more than one episode. Although having him just show up out of nowhere is kind of a hallmark Murdoc thing now.
biggrin.gif Fanfics here we come....
QUOTE (Lee Nole-Isil Nov 13 2005 @ 03:15 PM )
I LOVE THIS EP! I just saw it and I had to show it to my whole family. Yeah, I saw it about three times in one week. Anyway, thanks for pointing out about the sabatoge issue.... I was gonna say something. My brother and dad asked me about that, and for one horrible moment while reading this thread I thought that I had given the wrong answer! Anyway, I love how RDA did this ep, you don't see Mac like that very often, but it is so wonderfully heart-wrenching when you do! And of course, Murdoc rocks.
Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (gunshotlead Dec 16 2005 @ 09:07 AM )
Some interesting insights into this episode:
1. Never, never, NEVER ever use the words "Best Friends" as part of your response when the other person has declared their more-than-platonic love to you. GAAHHHH! wub.gif I *winced* when Mac said that. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound.
2. The shot where "Mike" wipes the tear away from her eye before climbing up - heartbreaking - period. For anyone who's been rejected in such a profound manner, the moment is forever burned in your mind.
3. In a way, Mac did contribute to her death - note she unclipped her chalk bag before sitting down to eat the orange. Flustered after Mac's rejection, she was in such a rush to turn away and restart the climb that she forgot the bag. Later, at the top of Broomstick Crack, she reaches for it - that's the part where she sighs in frustration because her hands are too slippery - the one hand holding her up wasn't dry enough to let her hold on while she clipped the main rope into the protection she had just set. Yes, one can argue as the lead climber she should have taken the time to do things right, but let's see - she's just made herself emotionally vulnerable and she was soundly rejected. Hmm. Maybe the object lesson is to find someplace equally private (although, the vertical cliff face of a mountain is hard to beat), but less dangerous before making such disclosures. Then again, the characters are supposed to be human... cool.jpg
4. The scene where she's hanging is stunningly cruel - she awakens just enough to realize what's happened and to call out; "Mac..." SNAP! And you know the whole exchange is audible, because she's right about at the same point where Mac was having trouble when the Gambit opened.
5. Nikki - what can I say - all at once, the character development tries to drive Mac and her closer together. I would have loved to have known what Mac was about to say to her just before they entered the cabin and saw Murdoc's photos. For her to revert to using Pete's sayings was a bit off - the "the problem with running away..." line. As someone who showed quite a bit of imagination and creativity in "Fire and Ice," it seemed a bit cheap for her to take off spouting someone else's eloquent wisdom.
6. There's some continuity problems with the main strap that held the climbing rope to Mike. At about 30:28, Mac has made back down to the ledge after being chased by Murdoc. When he pulls up the end of the rope where Mike was connected to, you can see a black patch on the inside of one end - I'm thinking this was a black velcro patch that they might have used to show the scene where Mike fell. At about 40:10-40:17, when Nikki has made it down to the ledge as well, the strap is shown again, this time to set the stage where Mac cannot deny that it was an equipment failure, but the patch is missing. In any case, the edges are frayed naturally along the seam, keeping things steady with the storyline that it was all an accident.
QUOTE (rockatteer Dec 16 2005 @ 09:52 AM)
Nice analysis.
Welcome to the community by the way.
I'v never liked the idea of the harness just falling appart like that.... they don't do that. It would have been more realistic to have somethign catch on the edge of a rock and cut through or somethign like that... CLimbing harnesses dont' just fall appart like that. They are designed to hold you incase you fall...thats why you wear them.
QUOTE (gunshotlead Dec 16 2005 @ 10:02 AM)
Thanks! Glad to have found this forum. smile.gif
True (about the harness), but the writers had to find a plot device to drive the storyline and it wouldn't be the first time deux ex machina was used. I find that the use of the main rope later is actually much less realistic - Nikki conveniently slips the rope tossed to her under her armpits while Mac lowers her to the ledge - now there's a disaster in the making! smile.gif
QUOTE (Amy Dec 16 2005 @ 11:55 AM)
Very nice observations, gunshotlead!
QUOTE
QUOTE Later, at the top of Broomstick Crack, she reaches for it - that's the part where she sighs in frustration because her hands are too slippery - the one hand holding her up wasn't dry enough to let her hold on while she clipped the main rope into the protection she had just set.
Oooooooh, never noticed that before! Have to watch for it next time!
And I agree--the equiment is made for the possibility of a fall. It's possible it failed, but I can't imagine that happening with a master climber, especially one taking a (more than) good friend up who is adverse to heights. She'd have checked it over and over. It would have been great to have something happen other than just failure, like was suggested.
QUOTE (Lee Nole-Isil Dec 24 2005 @ 03:15 PM )
I really know nothing about climbing...... probably because I have Mac-like issues with heights, so I can't really speak on the harness issue. all I can say is that this ep was heart wrenching to the extreme, and I love it. wub.gif
QUOTE (brent2112 Jan 3 2006 @ 04:41 PM )
I really liked this episode the Widowmaker. It was some great views and a great storyline for the Episode !!! word1.png
QUOTE (Sjaop Jan 11 2006 @ 10:38 PM)
One of my all time favourites! Absolutely loved it!
QUOTE (Lee Nole-Isil Jan 28 2006 @ 02:12 AM )
Yay! More people who agree!
QUOTE (Sjaop Jan 28 2006 @ 08:22 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE Never, never, NEVER ever use the words "Best Friends" as part of your response when the other person has declared their more-than-platonic love to you. GAAHHHH! I *winced* when Mac said that. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound
This is sooooo true. I maybe a real geek, but every time when I'm watching this episode, this part moves me to tears (been there, have the friggin' t-shirt dry.gif ) Mac being totally honest and Mike totally crushed. I can relate to it, so to say.
By the way this Mike, is that the same woman as in Jack of lies? They're both Mikes, but I kind of remember they're played by 2 different actresses. Or I simply should see an optician. biggrin.gif
QUOTE (MacNymph Jan 28 2006 @ 08:32 AM)
QUOTE
QUOTE (Sjaop @ Jan 28 2006, 08:22 AM) By the way this Mike, is that the same woman as in Jack of lies? They're both Mikes, but I kind of remember they're played by 2 different actresses. Or I simply should see an optician. biggrin.gif
NO you don't need glasses. It's two different woman. comp26.gif (poor computer.. i don't know who else to take it out on) They didn't even try to find someone that looked similar to Patricia McPherson. mad.gif
QUOTE (MacsChick Jan 28 2006 @ 05:16 PM )
"MacGyverrrrrrrrrrrr!" laugh.gif I always laugh when Murdoc screams this while he's dying (or pretending to die!).
On the serious side--definitely an amazing episode--it's in my top five, that's for sure! Talk about stress! Not only does Mac have to deal with mourning the loss of Mike; he has to deal with Murdoc, too! Sheesh! He always appears at the worst possible times! There's certainly a lot going on in this episode, yet it works beautifully. Richard was incredible at portraying MacGyver's sadness. He always does a good job with intense emotions, and they always seem so authentic, as if we're actually watching Mac or Jack instead of Rick--you forget he's an actor. That's the definition of good acting! He scares me when he's mad, especially when he almost hits the racist jerk in The Challenge. I seriously thought he was going to lose it! ohmy.gif His cying and sobbing in that episode are heart-wrenching, too. I'm glad he can be humble about his acting abilities, but I almost think he's too humble! Fantastic job! smile.gif I wish we had seen a few more episodes of Mac's "dark side," but I think his humor and sarcasm, much like Jack O'Neill's, are clever strategies to guard themselves against pain, which is also very realistic.
I feel for Mike, too. Poor girl! The tear always moves me! I know how she feels. sad.gif I get irritated that the actress in this isn't the original Mike, too. I watched Jack of Lies this morning, and I wish they had brought that actress back. I hate it when they switch actors on us--as if we won't notice! mad.gif
Oh well, it's still a good episode--and we get to see a somewhat likable side to Nikki, for a change!
"I came here because I care about you, you jerk!" --Nikki Carpenter
QUOTE (Sjaop Mar 22 2006 @ 12:24 AM )
By the way, had I mentioned that Mac looks very sexy with his 3-day beard?
biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Amy Mar 22 2006 @ 01:53 AM )
QUOTE
QUOTE I get irritated that the actress in this isn't the original Mike, too. I watched Jack of Lies this morning, and I wish they had brought that actress back. I hate it when they switch actors on us--as if we won't notice!
LOL--I just watched Jack of Lies yesterday, too...and you know I was actually kind of impressed that the actress in Widowmaker looks very similar to the original Mike--a bit heavier in the face, but I think they could almost pass for sisters...of course that's not seeing them side by side. Anyway...Still would've been nice to have the original.
QUOTE (Toni Apr 3 2006 @ 06:28 AM )
Loved this one, how can Mac do it. Look so god dam hot even when he is depressed.
Fantastic acting, great one liners, and the bonds of friendship are great.
Toni
QUOTE (thlayli87 Apr 5 2006 @ 07:18 AM )
Voted excellent. Classic episode. One of the best of the series. This is where Murdoc reaches supervillain status IMO. I could see how he might have survived the imploding building, or the dynamite in the truck, but falling of the side of a mountain? The guy is just superhuman. I loved how they kept bringing him back though, in a comic book-like way.
I wonder for long time about one point... Everybody noticed there was something wrong with Mike's harness. It seems Murdoc has not sabotagged it... So: don't you think Mike committed suicide, after Mac rejected her ? I think she was cutting herself her harness when she slept. That's why it is partially cut. Maybe I am wrong, and I didn't see this ep. recently, but it was my feeling... what about it ?
Posts: 374
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
I really don't think that Mike committed suicide. The equipment failure truely looked accidental. The fact that her harness ripped - OK - She was the expert climber, and Mac was the "student", so she was responsible for checking the equipment and possibly didn't notice the defect. Or maybe the stitches started to loosen during the climb - alot of pressure is generated on that part of the harness during a climb and it might have happened then... I don't think she was the type to lure Mac up the mountain just to throw herself off because he didn't want to take their relationship to the next level. Their conversation started out very harmlessly... just the way friends would joke around with each other... so...
... I don't think she would kill herself because Mac rejected her affection ("...uh oh... she's getting suggestive and he's getting uncomfortable..."). They had been friends for too long. She seemed like a very stable person with alot going for her - not some vapid dingbat. And although she had an emotional moment with Mac ("...All those women in your life and you never learned a thing...") - and I'm sure it wasn't the first, she would not have saboutaged the equipment with the purpose of killing herself.
That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.
I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.
Posts: 82
Joined: 23 Aug 2005
Gender: Female
Country: Far, far away...
SAK owned: Victorinox
Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Anything with Murdoc
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
This is one of my favorite episodes, and I agree that Mike's death was purely accidental. Someting funny my mom and I noticed was how fast Murdoc works. I mean, Nikki's talking to MacGyver for five minutes at MOST, and during that time he mines a road, rigs a car to explode, gets up to the cabin, and fills it with pictures. Granted, he would have had a little time as Nikki walked up the trail to the cabin, but still... this guy eats jet fuel.
"The common cockroach. And that's what you are!" -Peter Thornton "Are you calling me common, Pete?" -Murdoc
Well, Murdoc sure looks like he drinks the stuff for breakfast. Look at his face, for crying out loud?! A jet fuel cocktail gone wrong? :-) Didn't his mama ever tell him not to guzzle it while the toaster's running?!
He's eatin' something for sure. Look, Mike falls off the same cliff and she's a pancake. Murdoc takes same dive and comes right back in "Cleo Rocks"!
Mike didn't deliberately smack her head into the rock, do therefor it must have been an accident. As an expert she should've checked the gear before going up, especially taking someone with you who never did it before.
I wonder if Murdoc had gotten too close to the Chernobyl reactor once. You know, strange things happen out there :-) I have my suspicions that even if sufficient voltage were to be applied to Murdoc, he wouldn't react like a normal person would.
Ahyhoo, the guy could really benefit from the application of the lateral cranial impact enhancer.
In spite of this being my favorite Murdoc episode, I can't get over how incredibly bad Mikes death scene was.
The whole premise that an expert climber would race off full of emotion and tears and not take the necessary care required while climbing a high risk mountain is stupid for a start.
But then we move into the bad acting, even worse stunts and what appear to be "out of time and no money left in the budget" effects.
That whole scene is really really bad. Like when Mike gets knocked out from hitting her arm on the ledge.. WHAT??
I guess we are supposed to pretend her head hit the ledge, even though it's quite obviously her arm.
Fortunately the rest of the episode makes up for that whole scene, although I did wonder, when I saw Murdoc stepping over his mine strings in the driveway, why MacGyver and Nikki didn't do the same thing.
It's still a great episode and easily the best Murdoc episode.
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widomaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Yeah, the little mess-ups are a little distacting, but wow, Nikki and Mac really make up for it. Wow, those two in this episode are dynamite. Nikki is just what Mac need in here.
An old climber's saying: "It's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop." Old Minnesota wisdom: "If you don't want to be touched, look downright untouchable." "I remember that age when it was cool to be bad, dumb age."
Posts: 142
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Ok, Murdoc definitely did NOT sabotage Mike's gear. For one thing, we the viewers would have seen that and Mac would have been getting revenge on Murdoc for taking her life...etc.etc. It would have been a different episode. But also, Murdoc had no clue Mac was out of town until he went to Mac's house boat. So, no way to that theory. Mike's character was unbelievable...wish they would have had that conversation during breakfast or something...but then again, he had to feel "more" guilty for her death, so they had to make it right on the mountain. I don't think an expert climber would make such mistakes. Also, gear like that does not just fail. Yes, you have to check and recheck your gear, but those harnesses are made to withstand a lot more weight than Mike's, and to think it would snap "just like that" is ridiculous. They should have shown it some other way. And, it would definitely be a lawsuit against whomever manufactured that harness!! Yes, Murdoc definitely would not have time to rig the stuff he does. LOL That's just TV. Or to die as many times as he does;maybe all of his limbs are titanium?LOL Just kidding. Either way this is still one of my favorite episodes of all, if not my favorite. You just have to suspend belief for an hour and put up with the crap parts because they had to make it fit into an hour, and work with what they had. Besides, in the 80's, viewers didn't demand as much attention to detail as we do now. I only wish Pete could have played a larger part in this one; Pete and Jack somehow! They really needed to make a movie about Mac and Murdoc; or at least a 2 part episode! Instead, what do we get? Holy grail, lost love, and those two last movies? What were they thinking? Where was Murdoc??? And Nikki with Mac was great-I believe she repeated Pete's line because she was grasping at straws, knowing MacGyver was not listening to her. I also think it was good for her to go, because she could be almost rude to him without worrying about harming their "friendship" since they had more of a work relationship instead. When it was Pete, he was too afraid to press the issue. A good choice, I thought!
Posts: 1,170
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Country: United States
SAK owned: Unsure:red
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black leather
House: House boat
I love all Murdoc episodes---and reading your comments a few things occured to me: 1. I agree about Mike's arm during the death scene.
2. There is another MacGyver fan site that has top ten lists like ten favorite ways for Murdoc to die or ten reasons why he doesn't die. Top ten things Murdoc does for Christmas. You can have fun with pete and Mac. It's the live and learn site.
One the ways they listed for Murdoc to die was from an exploding toilet!!
What do you guys think?
In all seriousness, I love the Widowmaker, but I also wish Mike Forrester's death and her character in the scene was done a little better. It was almost like they wanted you to wonder if Mac and Mike weren't sleeping together, by Mike's reaction.
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."
it doesn't fit the original character, nor does it make sense as to why she would suddenly appear back in MacGyvers life talking so seriously about her feelings for him, when she didn't say anything about it the last time we saw her.. I don't think there was any mention of her being a rock climber either...
good episode. i don't always get to see an angsty mac. i can understand why he blames himself. when mike was confessing her feelings, i was like "this not the time nor the place to be doing that".
When Mike's roping snapped causing her to fall during the Widowmaker climb. How did the part with the hook come on to the rock face where Nikki and Mac where battleing Murdoc? Just a question.
Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket: Black leather
House: House boat
If I follow the question correctly -- Murdoc chased Mac and Nikki up the same mountain, and they ended up on the same stretch of cliffs where Mike had fallen. Presumably Mike chose that mountain for the initial climb in part because of the convenient proximity to Pete's cabin; and Mac stayed in the area when he was brooding.
During the chase, Mac knew that section of the mountain because he'd recently climbed it; he knew where the hiding places were and how to reach them.
The fall had been recent enough that the remains of Mike's climbing gear were still there, along with her chalk bag.
[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements". One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else. -- John Muir --- LOLMac daily: lolmac.livejournal.com icanhastofu.tumblr.com
I never really thought about this before, but it's kind of unrealistic. Considering the circumstances-- two people alone on a mountain, and the experienced climber takes an unexpected plunge to her death-- I would think there would be a police investigation to make sure Mac didn't kill Mike, and the climbing gear would have been taken away as evidence to see if Mac tampered with it.
Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black leather
House: House boat
Hmm...you just gave me a possible future fanfic idea. What better way to increase the angst than to have the police suspect him and implicate him? Of course, it might mess up the timeline with Murdoc entering the picture, though...hmm...I'm going to noodle with this for awhile.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
--Henry David Thoreau
brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)