PORTSMOUTH -- You might have seen his face in films like Alfred Hitchcock's "Marnie" with Sean Connery or "The Cincinnati Kid," or you might remember his characters from television shows like "Walker, Texas Ranger," "MacGyver," "L.A. Law" and "Dynasty."
The late Milton Selzer is memorable because of the hundreds of films, television shows and Broadway plays he acted in over the last 50 years. His face is also recognizable in Portsmouth, Selzer's home town. Until his retirement in the 1990s, Selzer, who died Oct. 21 in Oxnard, Calif., at age 88, played mobsters, gamblers and crooks, as well as characters with a softer side, including upstanding gents, store owners, judges and colonels.
"He played all kinds of characters; that's just the way the business is," Selzer's wife, Alice, said. "In some shows, he had what they call a recurring role, so he wasn't in every week. When you're an actor, you just wait for the phone to ring and that's what you get."
But no matter what the character or where the job took him, Selzer always remembered Portsmouth. "He loved Portsmouth. It's such a beautiful place," Alice said. "We went back a lot to visit, and Milton attended all his high school reunions."
It was in high school that Selzer participated in school plays and where he first caught the acting bug. That led him to New York, where he had roles in Broadway plays and early television shows and films, enabling his move to Hollywood, where he found his niche as a character actor.
Alice laughed that her husband seemed to play many bad guys throughout his career, a role very different from the one he played at home, where he was a loving family man to herself and their son, Ethan. "Like on 'L.A. Law,' he played a crooked judge who was killed, as he sometimes got killed on the shows," Alice said. "His mother would barely be able to watch it; it would bother her too much."
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Again someone passed away? It's little over a month ago but still... and after all he was 88. Amen.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Hopefully I can last for another 60, 70 or 80 years.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 28
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Bangladesh
SAK owned:
Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:almost all of them
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 29 2006, 04:00 AM)
Hopefully I can last for another 60, 70 or 80 years.
well, i don't want to live for a specific number of years. but i want to live as long as i can live a healthy and happy life. if thats just a total of 50 years, its ok. if thats just 30, well, i guess its ok too. there's no point living till the age of 80 if you are a vegetable for the last 50 or 60 years of it.
"You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next, including you." --- Murdoc
"His name is MacGyver. He can fix anything. He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape." --- Pete
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
I would like to see something of the future, you know.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
QUOTE
well, i don't want to live for a specific number of years. but i want to live as long as i can live a healthy and happy life. if thats just a total of 50 years, its ok. if thats just 30, well, i guess its ok too. there's no point living till the age of 80 if you are a vegetable for the last 50 or 60 years of it.
So if you die when you're 30 that's fine for you? I've already wasted 17 years of my live spending in school (9 of those belongs in high school) so I don't wanna die young. Too many years of those 15 I was going through hell. I've got a few plans I'm going to realise and don't intend on dying before 30. If I can... perhaps not I hope to become 115 so I could see that 22nd century. If I die before that I hope I can make it till 100 and if I die before that, I can live with it if I die at the age of 83 and if I die before that... it all depends on what I've made of my life.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Because it's too late by then...
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 29 2006, 01:59 PM)
So if you die when you're 30 that's fine for you? I've already wasted 17 years of my live spending in school (9 of those belongs in high school) so I don't wanna die young. Too many years of those 15 I was going through hell. I've got a few plans I'm going to realise and don't intend on dying before 30. If I can... perhaps not I hope to become 115 so I could see that 22nd century. If I die before that I hope I can make it till 100 and if I die before that, I can live with it if I die at the age of 83 and if I die before that... it all depends on what I've made of my life.
You might not 'intent to die before you're 30', but who knows what can happen? I remember being 17 and suddenly being faced with human frailty, seeing that death touches us all and does not care about age. It was then that I began to see that often times people are so afraid of dying that they forget to live.
My dad's in his late fifties, which is so impossibly young with today's life expectancy and the odds are he'll be crossing the great river before the summer. I'm making the journey to his death with him, as far as I can, and it's teaching me so much about what it means to live a good life. The most important thing I've learned is that the saying is true: it's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years. I hope to live to a 'ripe old age', filled with wisdom and great experiences, but I don't want to count on that. Instead, I try to live in such a way that, when it's my turn to cross the river I'll have so many rich memories to think about that I won't have a spare moment left to think of what I didn't have a chance to do.
I suppose that one's view of death can also colour one's opinion of it. I believe that death is, well, 'just another step along the way' and while it is an ending, it is also a beginning.
My 2 cents. Canadian.
Mac
"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate. My fandoms are getting to be confusing."
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 29 2006, 11:41 AM)
I would like to see something of the future, you know.
How do you like it, the future that is? Because now is the future you mentioned you wanted to see.
Mac
"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate. My fandoms are getting to be confusing."
Posts: 28
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Bangladesh
SAK owned:
Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:almost all of them
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 29 2006, 11:59 PM)
So if you die when you're 30 that's fine for you?
its defitely better than living to be 80 while you live the last 50 years of it like a vegetable. what matters is not not the number of years you live, rather the quality of life you lead.
"You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next, including you." --- Murdoc
"His name is MacGyver. He can fix anything. He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape." --- Pete
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
QUOTE
How do you like it, the future that is? Because now is the future you mentioned you wanted to see.
The future. My future.
QUOTE
its defitely better than living to be 80 while you live the last 50 years of it like a vegetable. what matters is not not the number of years you live, rather the quality of life you lead.
Then quality upon till now sucked for the most part of my life. Mainly age 12-16. I am starting to re-enjoy life. I had a dark age during the most of my pre-teens and I don't intend to let that control over the rest of my life. And who says 50 years of the 80 has to be like a vegetable? I don't think like that. For you maybe it doesn't matter on how long you live but for me it does. I've been surpressed too long and I'm going to show the world from what I'm made off.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 28
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Bangladesh
SAK owned:
Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:almost all of them
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 30 2006, 11:53 PM)
And who says 50 years of the 80 has to be like a vegetable? I don't think like that.
i didn't say that 50 years of the 80 has to be like a vegetable. i just said IF the last 50 years of the 80 are like a vegetable then its better to die before being a vegetable.
"You know, MacGyver, that's why you're so hard to beat. Nobody knows what you're going to do next, including you." --- Murdoc
"His name is MacGyver. He can fix anything. He could fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape." --- Pete
Posts: 524
Joined: 3 May 2005
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Superchamp
Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket: Black leather
House: House boat
I agree with that. I'd rather die in my sleep at 75 than live to be 100 and have Alzheimer's for the last ten or fifteen years of my life. My great-aunt, who's in her late eighties, has Alzheimer's, and it's really sad... she's a retired doctor, and was quite the colorful character for most of her life... smart as a whip and very funny. Now she's just a shadow of who she was.
Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet
What's that? Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
I was really REALLY glad that my Pap (My Mom's dad) never went through Alzheimers before he died. That was probably one of his biggest fears because he'd watched friends and neighbors that he'd had for 50 or more years around him slowly forget who they were, who he was and develop really erratic and wild behaviors. It broke his heart. I'm so grateful...I don't know if I could have "lost him" before he died. On the other hand, my Grampa (my Dad's dad) had a very unusual disease that eventually caused his death...I can't remember what it was because it was something I'd never heard of before (It was somehow related to a variant of mad cow disease). In the last stages he couldn't speak, but before that he didn't seem recognize his children or grandchildren. It was so hard during my last visit with him...he slept most of that time but at one point he woke and just stared at me like I was a stranger. All I could do was talk and hope he understood, and maybe recognized my voice and my touch on his hand. I hope if God gives me many years, that I'll know my family, myself, my friends, and Him until I'm done.
"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat
"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver
On the other hand, my Grampa (my Dad's dad) had a very unusual disease that eventually caused his death...I can't remember what it was because it was something I'd never heard of before (It was somehow related to a variant of mad cow disease)
So he was either English.. or Texan?
My gradfather went the best way you could ever wish to go.. he was fit and healthy and his mind was still sharp as a knife at 85-ish.. he was walking out to his vege garden to either do some weeding or to bring in some veges for dinner that night (can't remember which)... anyway he he was half way to the garden and he dropped dead.. doctors say he was dead before he hit the ground.
And the really weird thing is that the night before he told my grandmother that he was going tomorrow and she'd have to go on without him... he knew it was time.
Thats how I wanna go.. drop where I stand or in my sleep.. I guess anyway thats fast and painless is good... not sure about min mind though.. its already starting to...
Hi MacNymph: I think the guy you are referring to ( The Highlander ? ) he spells his name MacLeod . And I think it would be great to live a long time. Especially now, when people are going in for a new year ( 2007 ). And they go to drink. I just hope they come out of that bar, smart. That they decide to either go home in a cab, or have a friend drive them home. I wish you and everyone, a very Happy, healthy and safe, New Year. Sincerely, Katey Mackay
Posts: 374
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Faith, Hope & Charity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
SciFi Channel was running a Twilight Zone marathon over New Years (Sunday 12/31 - Mon 1/1) and I saw Milton Seltzer is one of the episodes. This was from around 1960, so he was much younger. He was good then too.
That which has been established will endure even with time and at a distance.
I can't tell you anything about what happens after the cameras go off, mostly because I'm usually unconscious by then.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)