Thinking About Going for the Mac Mullet
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacDriver
Posted: 12 October 2009 - 06:31 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I can't remember if I brought this up before or not, but I've always wondered how Mac got the look he did with his hair. I really liked all of his haircuts except for some of the weird looking stuff in like the third-fifth season (can't remember exactly) where it was super long in the back but not the front, like:

user posted image

user posted image

I want to start out going for the first season thing, then go to the 6th/7th season look:

user posted image

Way back when I was 14 I grew my hair out a good ways and started to have a first season look, but my neighbor who cut my hair (and found my fascination with MacGyver in 2002 strange tongue.gif) somehow managed to remove too much length every time so I never quite ended up with the look I wanted. I keep thinking about how it is on my list of "things to do in my lifetime" to have a mullet blush.gif

So, first of all, I have hair similar enough to RDA's I don't think it will be too challenging, but I always wondered what they used in his hair- mousse, hair spray, some sort of pomade cream, etc. And also was his hair highlighted basically the entire last two seasons? I know it was here and there before that, but it seemed to be overall lighter in the last 2 or 3 seasons almost like it was just completely dyed.




"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacDriver
Posted: 12 October 2009 - 09:55 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Again, this was 7 years ago, but I managed to dig up a picture and scan it, here is the closest I came to a mullet, I guess I did give it about another month or two after this photo but I chickened out when it hit that awkward length where it started to look borderline feminine sad.gif. Speaking of awkward, whoever shot that photo got me with my tongue sticking out unsure.gif

user posted image



"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Pepino1309
Posted: 13 October 2009 - 05:18 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 70
Joined: 7 Aug 2009
Gender:  Female
Country: Illinois
SAK owned: Ranger

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:hard to pick just one
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



You are a brave soul indeed if you are thinking of growing a mullet. Too bad you weren't around during the 80s when mullets were so popular. No one would have batted an eye at you. I would love to see the final result if you decide to grow it out. happy.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 13 October 2009 - 09:36 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I always liked this style myself.
user posted image

It's really just a matter of letting your hair grow medium length and then telling your hairdresser what you want (and sticking to your guns when they try to talk you out of it).

In the above picture I would think they probably used moose in his hair to get the airy fluffed up look on top, but in the later seasons, when it got longer and scruffier, it didn't look to have anything (except a will of it's own).



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 13 October 2009 - 09:39 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Take it from me. Don't go too long with it. I have the same type of hair as RDA and have had all the lengths he had. Anything longer than season 6 length would be too retro. The only time I thought his hair was too long was season 5 when it hung like snot and rested on his shoulders. I must have had the MacGyver style for 15-20 years and liked it but felt when it was past the point of looking "of the Time" and I was just being stubborn. Then about 5 years ago I got the O'Neill look (since I know that watching RDA style I know what will work for me and what won't) and love it. It's so easy to take care of and always looks current. Good luck with whatever choice you pick but remember even RDA knew it was retro when he cut it and laughs at the pics.



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 13 October 2009 - 10:44 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I still like the style if it's done right (see above picture)

This guy is off one of the day time soaps. and still has a mullet even today.

user posted image



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacDriver
Posted: 13 October 2009 - 04:59 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Mac Jackson @ 13 October 2009 - 09:39 AM)
Take it from me. Don't go too long with it. I have the same type of hair as RDA and have had all the lengths he had. Anything longer than season 6 length would be too retro. The only time I thought his hair was too long was season 5 when it hung like snot and rested on his shoulders. I must have had the MacGyver style for 15-20 years and liked it but felt when it was past the point of looking "of the Time" and I was just being stubborn. Then about 5 years ago I got the O'Neill look (since I know that watching RDA style I know what will work for me and what won't) and love it. It's so easy to take care of and always looks current. Good luck with whatever choice you pick but remember even RDA knew it was retro when he cut it and laughs at the pics.

Haha, yeah, agreed. I've been thinking today about how would MacGyver have his hair in this day and age? I don't know if it was supposed to be just a "most popular current fashion thing," in which case the O'Neill cut would be what he would sport if it were MacGyver 2010. But was the long hair supposed to say something about MacGyver? I.e. free spirited, relaxed, care free, etc.?

I was thinking I might go for something more like Tom Cruise's long hair look, but again, that was like 8 years ago:

user posted image

I'm beginning to wonder if long hair will ever come back into style or if the 70's and 80's were just a time unto themselves. sad.gif



"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 13 October 2009 - 08:56 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I don't think it ever really went out of style. there's plenty of guys around with long hair still. And even if it isn't in style, there's no reason you can't have it. Remember part of the undertone of MacGyver was "Be your own person." wink.gif




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 13 October 2009 - 09:10 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



When I was younger, I'd preferred the fifth season hairstyle and I really did let my hair grow that long when I was seventeen and when I was twenty-one. Alright, to be honest, I didn't wanted to go take a haircut. It lasted for nine months. Now I pretty much made clear for myself, I like the seventh season style much better as on my previous avatar.

Or when it looked best on Mac in The Stringer.

Attached Image
Attached Image



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
jackwabbit
Posted: 14 October 2009 - 04:33 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 704
Joined: 8 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I totally rocked a mullet in the late eightes! Wow. Sigh...



"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 14 October 2009 - 07:01 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacDriver @ 12 October 2009 - 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (Mac Jackson @ 13 October 2009 - 09:39 AM)
Take it from me. Don't go too long with it. I have the same type of hair as RDA and have had all the lengths he had. Anything longer than season 6 length would be too retro. The only time I thought his hair was too long was season 5 when it hung like snot and rested on his shoulders. I must have had the MacGyver style for 15-20 years and liked it but felt when it was past the point of looking "of the Time" and I was just being stubborn. Then about 5 years ago I got the O'Neill look (since I know that watching RDA style I know what will work for me and what won't) and love it. It's so easy to take care of and always looks current.  Good luck with whatever choice you pick but remember even RDA knew it was retro when he cut it and laughs at the pics.

Haha, yeah, agreed. I've been thinking today about how would MacGyver have his hair in this day and age? I don't know if it was supposed to be just a "most popular current fashion thing," in which case the O'Neill cut would be what he would sport if it were MacGyver 2010. But was the long hair supposed to say something about MacGyver? I.e. free spirited, relaxed, care free, etc.?

I was thinking I might go for something more like Tom Cruise's long hair look, but again, that was like 8 years ago:

user posted image

I'm beginning to wonder if long hair will ever come back into style or if the 70's and 80's were just a time unto themselves. sad.gif

I think that's a good idea. I think it's a matter of ratio back to front. It can hang longer in the back as long as it's not shaved on top and the sides(billy ray cyrus). It it gets too long ( moments of Season 5 for MacGyver) it doesn't look good no matter when it is. I'm all for being yourself just don't make yourself fodder for others when unneccessary. You know? As long as it looks natural and good you'll be fine:)



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Miasma
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 08:31 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,045
Joined: 9 Oct 2008
Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I had Mac's hairstyle when I was in highschool and college. I even lightened my hair a bit to get more of that look. I aimed for the Season 5 look, and I remember being almost disappointed when Season 6 started because I thought, "Damn, I just got my hair long enough to look like his, and now he cuts it!"
But, alas, my hair started thinning by the end of college, and now I would look absolutely ridiculous if I tried mimicking his style. (Hmmmm... maybe soon I should go for the Pete Thornton style!)



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Miasma
Posted: 9 November 2009 - 02:08 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,045
Joined: 9 Oct 2008
Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



Ok, at the risk of totally embarrassing myself, I found my highschool yearbook photo. Now, keep in mind, this was in the late 80s, so the mullet hair style was marginally more acceptable then:

user posted image

(sorry it's such a blurry shot.)

The funny thing is, I remember I accidentally walked into a door on my way to getting my photo taken, which is why you can sort of see a lump over my eye (giving my eyebrow kind of an odd shape.)





 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacDriver
Posted: 9 November 2009 - 06:16 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Miasma @ 9 November 2009 - 02:08 AM)
Ok, at the risk of totally embarrassing myself, I found my highschool yearbook photo. Now, keep in mind, this was in the late 80s, so the mullet hair style was marginally more acceptable then:

user posted image

(sorry it's such a blurry shot.)

The funny thing is, I remember I accidentally walked into a door on my way to getting my photo taken, which is why you can sort of see a lump over my eye (giving my eyebrow kind of an odd shape.)

surprise.gif I honestly thought that was a blurry shot of RDA until I took a closer look! Damn, you nailed it! I finally caved and cut my hair recently, MacJackson made a valid point, as you said, that that was the 80's lol. But I am very impressed, I bet you got the double take a time or two haha



"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 9 November 2009 - 10:11 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Glad to help buddy, We Macfans have to look out for each other right?smile.gif MacG.gif



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll