123 - Strictly Business
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
 
How did you rate this episode?
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
user posted image [ 4 ]  [11.11%]
user posted image [ 32 ]  [88.89%]
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MDBfan
Posted on 5 March 2013 - 04:05 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 833
Joined: 3 Mar 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: Norway
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Strictly Business
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  House boat



QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 4 March 2013 - 10:31 AM)
I guess you could argue that they only went after the main organizers of HIT with the hope that once the top of the organization was gone the rest would disperse but HIT may have been diverse enough that they were able to just reform somewhere else using different companies as cover and such.

I think you are right. smile.gif This makes sense.



"Definitely Murdoc's handiwork. I could fix it if I only had some duct tape." -Murdoc (impersonating MacGyver), "Strictly Business"

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Rocket
Posted on 22 July 2013 - 06:39 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 852
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: England
SAK owned: Commander

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Hallowe'en Knights
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Ah yes, you just can't beat a rock and roll villain!
Especially (and I admit I'm biased here) a pants-on-head crazy British one laugh.gif
I think we do 'aristocratic nutjob' really quite well...

Plenty to enjoy here, with highlights including:

Murdoc unloading his entire arsenal (almost) at HIT headquarters. He's got that resigned look because he knows unloading's going to take a while...

Mac's reaction on discovering he's been ambushed in his own house - he's already decided at this point that Murdoc is overdue a good kicking!

Murdoc bazookering Mac and then being all disappointed when he realises that his quarry's escaped him once again.

The glee with which Murdoc switches their identities and then plays it for all it's worth. If only he had some duct tape...

Mac overcoming the odds of being knocked out and battered once again, and showing that he can't bring himself to fire a gun even when he can't remember why he hates them so much.

Clever subterranean MacGyvering, a last second rescue and Murdoc's face when he realises he's become snared in his own fiendish trap.
MACGYVERRRRRRR!!!!!

It's an excellent from me happy_dance.gif




Rollerskating at right angles to reality

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Hannibal_Smith
Posted on 23 November 2013 - 04:19 PM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 111
Joined: 25 Feb 2011
Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



QUOTE (KiwiTek @ 4 March 2013 - 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (MDBfan @ 4 March 2013 - 04:25 AM)
I have a question: At the end of Halloween Knights MacGyver receives a disc with information that would close HIT down. However, in this episode HIT still exists (with new board members). Did Murdoc leave out some information or did he somehow warn HIT that MacGyver was after them? That doesn't make sense because in Halloween Knigts Murdoc didn't want to have anything to do with his former eployees.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Very good question. The following comment was made about this on our HIT organization page

Although Murdoc had given MacGyver enough evidence to close HIT down for good, the organization was somehow able to reform with a new Board of only 3 members and even allowed Murdoc to resume his employment with them, on the condition that he remove the one blemish from his record, MacGyver.

I guess you could argue that they only went after the main organizers of HIT with the hope that once the top of the organization was gone the rest would disperse but HIT may have been diverse enough that they were able to just reform somewhere else using different companies as cover and such.

Well, their digs have gone from being an exclusive private club in Los Angeles to some sort of souped-up... warehouse? Parking garage? I'd say they've definitely been taken down a peg.



 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Joe SAKic
Posted on 29 May 2015 - 03:09 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,483
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Hey, this is my #1 episode. It gets the nod over a few others just because of the cameo by Long John Baldry on the 'HIT' panel. LJB used to play some gigs at our university during the mid 1980s. I'll bet MDB got him that MacGyver placement!?




The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Dragondog
Posted on 8 March 2018 - 08:45 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,385
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Liz1976 @ 10 June 2008 - 05:27 PM)
Murdoc mentions that the food is vegetarian, and we know that Mac eats healthy food, but what about Murdoc?

The ironic thing is MDB is vegetarian, or vegan, in real life (not sure which).

When I first saw this episode, I legitimately thought Amy was going to take one look at Murdoc and go, "DAD?!" Nope.



"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted on 8 March 2018 - 11:19 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I thought that for a long time too. But she didn't seem to know Murdoc at all. Besides I think Murdoc would go after Amy herself instead of sending two guys after her to do his dirty work.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Dragondog
Posted on 8 March 2018 - 11:56 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,385
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 7 March 2018 - 05:19 PM)
I thought that for a long time too. But she didn't seem to know Murdoc at all. Besides I think Murdoc would go after Amy herself instead of sending two guys after her to do his dirty work.

I dismissed the theory as soon as Murdoc pretended to be MacGyver, and had no trouble walking up to Amy and her mother, not recognizing them, and them not recognizing him. Besides, Murdoc DID say that Ashton was his only family left. If Amy's dad wanted her so bad, I'm pretty sure he'd have to know of her existence. tongue.gif



"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Sanguine
Posted on 12 March 2018 - 02:48 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 347
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Dragondog @ 7 March 2018 - 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 7 March 2018 - 05:19 PM)
I thought that for a long time too. But she didn't seem to know Murdoc at all. Besides I think Murdoc would go after Amy herself instead of sending two guys after her to do his dirty work.

I dismissed the theory as soon as Murdoc pretended to be MacGyver, and had no trouble walking up to Amy and her mother, not recognizing them, and them not recognizing him. Besides, Murdoc DID say that Ashton was his only family left. If Amy's dad wanted her so bad, I'm pretty sure he'd have to know of her existence. tongue.gif

It also seems pretty out of character for Murdoc to kill his own family. After all he went though to protect Ashton, I don't think that Murdoc would ever try to attack one of his own children.

Or anybody's children, for that matter. <points to Rocket's "Favour for the Enemy">

He also prefers to be neat and untraceable, and he tends to avoid collateral damage for the most part, so I think that if Murdoc had really wanted Amy and her mother dead, they wouldn't stand a chance. Running away to a remote cabin wouldn't save them because Murdoc would take them out before they ever got there.

Actually, this episode is one of the things that makes me think that Murdoc isn't completely heartless. I mean, the man had a rocket launcher, for crying out loud. He could've easily fulfilled his contract in like three seconds if he'd just used the rocket launcher on the cabin with the three of them inside, but he didn't. Instead, he told the two innocent people to drive away and call the police. Then he was going to take out MacGyver alone. The smart thing would've been to kill them all and leave no loose ends, but Murdoc didn't do the smart thing. Why? It's not because he's not smart, so it must be because he has something of a conscience.



"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted on 12 March 2018 - 10:57 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Maybe he didn't want to kill them but just wanted to have his daughter. If it was his daughter in the first place but then we would have Tommy Giordano's story all over again.

The rocket on the cabin sounds like an explosive idea. Three bricks with one stone in one big bang. Maybe he only had one rocket and it probably was just a drag to drag around the woods.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Jediferret
Posted on 13 March 2018 - 04:09 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,482
Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I never got the feeling that Amy was Murdoc's daughter. Where in the heck did that idea come from? lol

Also, Murdoc is caught eating a chicken leg... so I think that throws the whole Murdoc is vegan/vegetarian out the window. lol

That, and Murdoc had no problem putting Suzanne in mortal danger and using her as bait... so I don't think killing an innocent is beyond Murdoc if deemed necessary. It's already been stated by MacGyver himself that Murdoc will use anyone to get to him... that includes loved ones, like he did with Penny.

I always theorized that was one of the reasons Mac had a fear of commitment was because he knew Murdoc might try to use whoever he was close with against him and put them in danger. I mean, Murdoc had really gotten under Mac's skin in Obsessed.

Needless to say, this episode, and Season 6 in general, was heavy on the Mac whumpage for some odd reason. Poor Mac... Season 6 was not kind to him.



"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Dragondog
Posted on 13 March 2018 - 05:34 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,385
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Jediferret @ 12 March 2018 - 11:09 AM)
I never got the feeling that Amy was Murdoc's daughter. Where in the heck did that idea come from? lol

Also, Murdoc is caught eating a chicken leg... so I think that throws the whole Murdoc is vegan/vegetarian out the window. lol

I saw part of the episode when MeTV aired it, but refused to watch the whole thing because I wasn't up to that episode yet on my DVDs. I watched a little, and saw Amy going on about how her father was after her, and Murdoc outside the cabin, hiding. I just kinda mashed that bit together. tongue.gif

And there ARE vegetarian meat options, so the filmmakers probably used that as a replacement, since MDB said on twitter a few days ago that he hasn't eaten meat in 36 years. That woud be pre-MacGyver.



"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Dragondog
Posted on 13 March 2018 - 01:30 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,385
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Jediferret @ 12 March 2018 - 11:09 AM)
That, and Murdoc had no problem putting Suzanne in mortal danger and using her as bait... so I don't think killing an innocent is beyond Murdoc if deemed necessary.

At least he waited until it was necessary.



"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Sanguine
Posted on 13 March 2018 - 04:46 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 347
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Dragondog @ 12 March 2018 - 12:34 PM)
And there ARE vegetarian meat options, so the filmmakers probably used that as a replacement, since MDB said on twitter a few days ago that he hasn't eaten meat in 36 years. That woud be pre-MacGyver.

MDB might be vegan or vegetarian, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Murdoc is. It very easily could've been something other than chicken for MDB, but it definitely seems like the writers/directors/whoever didn't particularly envision that in Murdoc's character.

That being said, I was too focused on the fact that he was digging through a random stranger's fridge and had to rush off, so I never actually paid attention to *what* he was eating. laugh.gif



"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Sanguine
Posted on 13 March 2018 - 05:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 347
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: Classic SD Pink

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Jediferret @ 12 March 2018 - 11:09 AM)
That, and Murdoc had no problem putting Suzanne in mortal danger and using her as bait... so I don't think killing an innocent is beyond Murdoc if deemed necessary.  It's already been stated by MacGyver himself that Murdoc will use anyone to get to him... that includes loved ones, like he did with Penny.

Of course Murdoc isn't above killing an innocent if necessary, but then there's that caveat: if necessary. He didn't put Suzanne in danger until it was necessary. So he's got to be professional enough that getting obstacles out of the way doesn't bother him, but he's human enough that he avoids killing people when it isn't directly related to his contract, even if doing so would wipe out a few loose ends. Surely that puts him at least a cut above somebody like Zito, who seems to just kill people for the heck of it.

MacGyver is a bit of an unreliable narrator when it comes to Murdoc, and vice versa. Murdoc might not necessarily use anyone to get at Mac. Most people, sure. Pete and Jack, definitely. But even Murdoc has to have some kind of limits. Also, I'm still not convinced that Penny was in any true danger in "Cleo Rocks." He never put Penny into any life-threatening situations like he did with Pete.

Also, about the Mac whumpage: at least MacGyver could get up the next morning and say, You should see the other guy." laugh.gif



"I am not mad. I'm just very, very determined." ------Murdoc, 'Cleo Rocks'

"What is the color of night?" ------Oblivion

Virtutis Gloria Merces.

Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

Highly Illogical. Delightfully Useless. Achtung Y'All.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted on 14 March 2018 - 01:43 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE
The smart thing would've been to kill them all and leave no loose ends, but Murdoc didn't do the smart thing. Why? It's not because he's not smart, so it must be because he has something of a conscience.

Or maybe he simply wants to challenge himself. Why go easy? And maybe we should ask ourselves does Murdoc really want to kill MacGyver? Where will he find another opponent like him? Without him no Murdoc. I think we should see this as the Joker and Batman. As the Joker himself stated: they're supposed to do this forever. Hunting each other, haunting each other and even though it is clear who is best they just need to keep doing it for no other reason.

QUOTE
I never got the feeling that Amy was Murdoc's daughter. Where in the heck did that idea come from? lol

I was about 8 or 9 years olds when I first saw this episode. In my child-mind, I came up with more theories like that. I just wasn't able to see the big picture yet. The theory also got dismissed when I grew older and understood it more.

QUOTE
Needless to say, this episode, and Season 6 in general, was heavy on the Mac whumpage for some odd reason. Poor Mac... Season 6 was not kind to him.

They probably figured if a coma doesn't take him down nothing will so they upped the ante: twice he gets shot, got a rifle in his face, burned his hands, stepped into a bear trap, blown up with a rocket. Shot up, locked up, blown up and all he's got to show it for are a few empty roles of duct tape.

Murdoc being or not being a vegetarian doesn't matter to me, that's the character. MDB being one, doesn't matter to me either but if he indeed hasn't eaten meat in over 36 years I'm sure the creators must've found some sort of alternative for chicken leg. If MDB is really such a persuaded vegetarian, he could've refused to do the scene. On the other hand they could've switched it with a cookie or something. Besides Murdoc is not the only one ransacking someone's fridge, I remember a certain PI doing the same thing.

Actually I like Murdoc's professionalism when it comes killing, but then again he is a hitman, he's getting paid for it. Zito is a psychopath.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Dragondog
Posted on 14 March 2018 - 05:43 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,385
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Gender:  Female
Country: U.S.A.
SAK owned: none

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Sanguine @ 12 March 2018 - 11:46 PM)
QUOTE (Dragondog @ 12 March 2018 - 12:34 PM)
And there ARE vegetarian meat options, so the filmmakers probably used that as a replacement, since MDB said on twitter a few days ago that he hasn't eaten meat in 36 years. That woud be pre-MacGyver.

MDB might be vegan or vegetarian, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Murdoc is. It very easily could've been something other than chicken for MDB, but it definitely seems like the writers/directors/whoever didn't particularly envision that in Murdoc's character.

Yeah, I doubt Murdoc's vegetarian. I just meant that for filming purposes, I doubt they used real meat.



"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" - Hank The Cowdog

"You have the heart of a chief, and the soul of a dragon"- How to Train Your Dragon 2

"[T]he more we try to understand one another, the more exceptional each one of us will be" - Zootopia

"Love makes you do strange things." - Charlie Brown

"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Dreamworks Dragons Race to the Edge

 
PM                                                                     
Top
just-a-fan
Posted on 12 June 2022 - 12:08 AM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 35
Joined: 21 Nov 2017
Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



On Batman , Burgess still smoked as the Penguin despite having quit smoking for 30 yrs so is possible MDB pretended to eat real chicken



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Myrtle Groggins
Posted on 14 March 2026 - 10:59 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 228
Joined: 10 Nov 2015
Gender:  Female
Country: Europe
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Birth Day, Soft Touch
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Second Loft



Murdoc really does want to be MacGyver here



 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll