Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: Observatory
Someone sent me this link and I thought I'd pass it along. I guess everyone by now knows the cool place to go for information online right? Good ol' Wikipedia!
Well- apparently someone decided to have some fun with that and do a little spoof- it's pretty funny. Here's their entry for MacGyver.
WARNING- It does contain some foul and offensive language!
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
QUOTE
And that it's not funny.
Where's your sense of humour?
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
QUOTE
i'm with nymphy.... i just don't find it all that funny...
And where's yours?
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ Nov 16 2006, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE
i'm with nymphy.... i just don't find it all that funny...
And where's yours?
I have to agree with MacGyverGod on this one. The humour is crude, but relevant, very Simpsons-like. I think RDA would approve.
Mac
“I cannay change the Laws of Physics Captain! Hoots mon! Only MacGyver can dooooooo that”
"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate. My fandoms are getting to be confusing."
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Andrew Dean Richardson?
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
making bombs out of no more than duct tape and kittens
That really is a Bio bomb.
In all honestly I can see both sides to the Funny not funny Argument.
Let's just say it's wrong in the worst way.... besides Jack O'Neill is smarter than he acts. But not nearly as smart as Mac. And I think Jack sleeps with his gun.
This post has been edited by Testgate on 29 March 2007 - 10:30 AM
Wikipedia is so chuck-full-of incorrect information that it's not even funny. It's quite distressing to see that people go there and accept what's posted in there at face value. Quite a lot of the entires that are posted out there are done by people that are no more experts than you or I and have no qualification outside the fact that they can type. But I think that's kind of a curse of this whole internet not just Wiki.
Ok, I am off my soapbox
"I hardly even know this young lady!" -MacGyver, Squeeze Play
Thyla it says UNCYCOPEDIA not Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Besides this is the REAL page form Wikipedia. Real MacGyver
YEASH it was someone not only MOCKING Wikipedia but MacGyver... Hell for all we know it could have been Rick or Winkler. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
God next time your going to rant look at what you ranting over there 2 different sites.
Actually, my post stands as is. I was ranting about Wiki being a lot of times incorrect. Yes, the original post was about a spoof (obviously ) done by this other site UNCYCOPEDIA which does not make the fact that Wiki is not a "real" encyclopedia less true (ie created and endorsed by experts with proper documentation and credits where credit is due). Personally, I prefer to draw my research from sources I know I can trust and that I can substantiate. Wiki - ain't it. But that's just me.
*Climbs down and retreats to the den watching McGyver reruns*
"I hardly even know this young lady!" -MacGyver, Squeeze Play
the fact that Wiki is not a "real" encyclopedia less true (ie created and endorsed by experts with proper documentation and credits where credit is due)
But it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have as accurate information as a “real” encyclopedia either.
When you go into the editing options they have a message which says “Encyclopedic content must be verifiable”. And if nothing else it’s always a good starting point. You can always find links to more specific websites about whatever you’re looking for.
My kids use it all the time for looking up homework information, and to be honest, I haven’t seen any articles which I would call really off base with its content.
I just found this Wikipedia entry, which had this plastered at teh top of it...
"This article or section may contain original research or unverified claims. Please help Wikipedia by adding references. See the talk page for details."
So you can see that they do encourage references etc and are tryign to create an accurate information base.
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ Nov 29 2006, 04:23 PM)
*looks in the box*
Well I'll damned! Its full of soap.
So you can clean out your mouth?
Mac too mischievious for her own good
"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate. My fandoms are getting to be confusing."
Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Those would be the same boxes that kids made carts out of for "soap box" races. Very useful boxes those. Most boxes are cardboard rather then wooden crates these days. Cardboard does not make such a good racing cart...and not such good thing to stand on.
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE
The word arises from olden times when speakers would literally stand on a box of soap or a similar item to gain height.
Well, yeah, I knew that much...but why a SOAP box? There must have been a reason for it's being used enough to have become a common term like that. It could have been any box...but it's not...it's a soap box. There's gotta be a "why" somewhere.
"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat
"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver
I guess becasue it was a common item.. and.. it was the right size to provide elevation and sturdy enough to stand on without falling off or having the box break.
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Rocky's pretty much nailed it. They were in abundance and reused but hard for the merchant to store after being emptied (kinda like the pallets you see stacked up behind stores today) People would pinch them and use them however.
At the time standing on the street corner... or in the middle of the street ....spouting your agenda was the cheapiest and easiest way to spread the word. They were called "soap box orators" and were as common as the boxes themselves.
~ MacNymph ~
Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.
*Comes into the room. Looks around and scratches head.* Who stole my soap box? I am sure I left it in here somewhere... *Looks under the table, behind the door, peeks under the couch.*
"I hardly even know this young lady!" -MacGyver, Squeeze Play
Actually, my post stands as is. I was ranting about Wiki being a lot of times incorrect. Yes, the original post was about a spoof (obviously ) done by this other site UNCYCOPEDIA which does not make the fact that Wiki is not a "real" encyclopedia less true (ie created and endorsed by experts with proper documentation and credits where credit is due). Personally, I prefer to draw my research from sources I know I can trust and that I can substantiate. Wiki - ain't it. But that's just me.
*Climbs down and retreats to the den watching McGyver reruns*
According to the science journal Nature Wikipedia has recently been rated as having 3.86 errors per page vs. Britannica's 2.92. So it would seem that its a lot more accurate than you would think.
As I've said before, they also require encyclopedic information to be referenced, and add notes/warnings to the pages where information doesn't contain the required references, so all in all Wikipedia is a pretty good starting point for research.