Goofy questions, But with a reason...
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Amy
Posted: 16 February 2007 - 06:37 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



biggrin.gif As if I never ask seemingly irrelavent or weird questions...

I do have a reason for asking these, but I'll tell ya why later. wink.gif

I searched and couldn't seem to find this info, and I may have missed it, so...

Do we know Mac's social security number? I know it's obviously going to be fake...but do we know it? If so, what is it? biggrin.gif

Second...Should I know this, being the obsessive Mac-fan that I am...What is Mac's middle name or initial? Anyone??????

They're not OVERLY important to what I'm planning to use them for, but will lend some authenticity. biggrin.gif

And...this sounds odd, but does anyone know what Mac's rank maybe could have been in the special forces?



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 16 February 2007 - 07:16 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE
Do we know Mac's social security number? I know it's obviously going to be fake...but do we know it? If so, what is it?

Nope. Unfortunately this is classified information of the Phoenix Foundation. biggrin.gif

QUOTE
Second...Should I know this, being the obsessive Mac-fan that I am...What is Mac's middle name or initial? Anyone??????

He doesn't have a middle name. It already took seven years to find out his first. Let's just keep it with Angus MacGyver making his initials AM.

QUOTE
They're not OVERLY important to what I'm planning to use them for, but will lend some authenticity.

They're probably for your new fanfic.

QUOTE
And...this sounds odd, but does anyone know what Mac's rank maybe could have been in the special forces?

I don't think he could've gotten higher than Lieutenant.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 16 February 2007 - 08:32 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



Well- I'm pretty sure MacGyver was never mentioned as having a middle name- so I would stick with Angus MacGyver. (After all, not everyone has a middle name- though it does make it confusing for the John Does of the world biggrin.gif )

And as far as MacGyver's rank in the Army- in the Mark Daniel novel "MacGyver on Ice", Pete looks through his file and it's mentioned that his Army rank was Major and that he worked with the bomb-disposal squad - and then it says his acting service rank was Colonel....

In fact, here's what's mentioned of his file verbatim from the book-

"Army rank: Major....bomb-disposal....acting service rank: Colonel....distinguishing marks: .22 bullet scar left shoulder, boar-tusk scar left side, clavicle to point of hip. Interests- military history, natural history, bebop, blue grass, horse-breeding, baseball, North American folklore, philosophy...."

But I don't know how much credence you want to put into the book- I'm not sure if anyone would really count it as MacGyver "canon"- though it is a MacGyver novel officially licensed by Paramount...

Anyway- hope that info helps.
It might also be a good idea to take a look at "The Lost Amadeus" as I know MacGyver pulls out his driver's license in that episode- and maybe you can get a closeup of it. (I know we've seen shots of his Phoenix ID before too- but I don't think it has his SS number on it.)



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 February 2007 - 08:56 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



We don't get to see the drivers license in "lost Amadeus". He shows it to the security guard and then Lulu takes it.

And all we see on the Phoenix ID card is his last name, Security level and Position "Field Op"

you can always check out the background Bible to see if that has any helpful information in it.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 16 February 2007 - 02:50 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE
you can always check out the background Bible to see if that has any helpful information in it.


Done... nothing relavant, really.

That's what I thought about a middle name. No biggie! Just wanted to be sure. I didn't have much hope for the SN either. Guess I can make it up! smile.gif



QUOTE
Army rank was Major and that he worked with the bomb-disposal squad - and then it says his acting service rank was Colonel.


At the risk of sounding completely dumb...what's the difference between the two? laugh.gif



QUOTE
QUOTE
They're not OVERLY important to what I'm planning to use them for, but will lend some authenticity.

They're probably for your new fanfic.


unsure.gif I'll never tell...

Wait I said I would...

It's just something I'm toying with so far...mostly a tongue in cheek thing right now, but could turn into what I think's a pretty cool story idea for a fanfic...No, not the current one. Still plugging away at that. smile.gif



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 February 2007 - 03:00 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



If your going to make up a middle name I would go with his fathers or grandfathers name..

but remember there was never any indication in the show of a middle name, so you need to be careful when adding "external" facts which are not substantiated by the show itself.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Mac
Posted: 16 February 2007 - 03:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 571
Joined: 9 Sep 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Amy @ 15 February 2007 - 11:00 PM)
QUOTE
Army rank was Major and that he worked with the bomb-disposal squad - and then it says his acting service rank was Colonel.


At the risk of sounding completely dumb...what's the difference between the two?

Colonel is two ranks higher than major.

Officer ranks in the US army are as follows, from lowest to highest:

2nd Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant-Colonel
Colonel
Brigadier-General ('1 star general')
Major-General ('2 star general')
Lieutenant-General ('3 star general')
General ('4 star general')
General of the Army ('5 star general')

The shorter answer to your question is that a Colonel can command a Major, but a Major is always a minor to a colonel. wink.gif So, in the story Mac is given the responsibilities of someone two ranks higher than him.

Hope that helps!

Mac



"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."


 
PM                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 17 February 2007 - 12:00 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 15 February 2007 - 10:10 PM)
If your going to make up a middle name I would go with his fathers or grandfathers name..

but remember there was never any indication in the show of a middle name, so you need to be careful when adding "external" facts which are not substantiated by the show itself.


Nah, I meant I can just make up the number. The middle initial is probably the least crucial bit of data. I can get away without the number, if I just ignore it for what I'm doing.


QUOTE
The shorter answer to your question is that a Colonel can command a Major, but a Major is always a minor to a colonel. wink.gif So, in the story Mac is given the responsibilities of someone two ranks higher than him.


I see.... Cool! Thanks for the explanation...the acting Colonel part stumped me, but that makes sense now that I think about it...duh. Very helpful...



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 17 February 2007 - 12:18 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



The best middle name for MacGyver is probably his father's name Angus James MacGyver. It sounds better than Angus Harry MacGyver but it still doesn't ring too good.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Mac
Posted: 17 February 2007 - 04:21 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 571
Joined: 9 Sep 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Evolution 14

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Bitter Harvest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 16 February 2007 - 08:28 AM)
The best middle name for MacGyver is probably his father's name Angus James MacGyver. It sounds better than Angus Harry MacGyver but it still doesn't ring too good.

In my Mac 'verse, he's Angus Jackson MacGyver (ie. he has both his parents last names).

Mac



"John Sheppard (writer) sent Richard Dean Anderson to Atlantis on MacGyver and Richard Dean Anderson sent John Sheppard (character) to Atlantis on Stargate.
My fandoms are getting to be confusing."


 
PM                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll