Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
My mum's the same - I don't know which one of us is more addicted. I get in from work, and she's like "Are we having a Mac tonight?" She likes Jack Dalton's character as well. He makes her laugh, which with my mum is no mean feat!
Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black leather
House: House boat
Depends on how extensive the damage is. I mean, he basically totaled that Jeep in Outsiders, yet he was able to fix it. Now, I'm not mechanic, but I would figure that as long as nothing major happened to the engine or the frame work, it would mostly be cosmetic damage. This isn't uncommon in TV... Dean Winchester's 1967 Impala was hit by a semi-truck and it's been wreck more than once, and he's always fixed it to brand new. If you have someone that knows what they're doing, it can be fixed.
Besides, Jeep Wranglers are known for being hard to kill. There's an interesting story about a man who used his badly damaged Wrangler to help victims after being hit by an F5 tornado (this is the same class used in the movie Twister). You can read the story here: http://jklwrangler.com/category/stomper/
My point... it's probably alive and well... at least, in my head it is.
"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver) "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein "What are ferrets made of? Happiness."
Posts: 286
Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Gender: ---
Country: UK
SAK owned: lots of blades
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket: ---
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 21 April 2007 - 01:49 PM)
QUOTE
but where does Amy fit in?
Don't remember quite what she said but she mentions something of degree. Don't know if it's a high school degree or a college degree. I always assumed they were together in their senior high school year. 12th grade.
Since her name isn't Kate or Lisa or Deborah, Amy doesn't fit in at all. It is an unwritten rule that viewers have to be totally confused about the names of most females in Mac's life ... it's not like the writers could have gone to look for a book of female baby names or anything ... or something.
Posts: 286
Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Gender: ---
Country: UK
SAK owned: lots of blades
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket: ---
House: House boat
QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 11 February 2009 - 04:12 PM)
It was just sad seeing Pete standing there with a no named driver and that being that. What I meant when I said why didn't Mac tell Sam about guns not being the answer, was the inicident from his childhood (Mac's) I know doesn't make sence.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that as the scene started, someone (presumably Pete's driver) had just walked away to allow Pete, Mac and Sam some privacy?
Posts: 286
Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Gender: ---
Country: UK
SAK owned: lots of blades
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket: ---
House: House boat
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 11 February 2009 - 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (SMeeceymouse @ 12 February 2009 - 01:12 PM)
What I meant when I said why didn't Mac tell Sam about guns not being the answer, was the inicident from his childhood (Mac's) I know doesn't make sence.
Because thats why he personally doesn't like or use a gun.
It doesn't have anything to do with what he thinks justice is or isn't, or his belief that killing people (in any way for any reason) is a bad idea.
The two ideas are connected. If hadn't had some qualms about taking lives, he wouldn't have cared that his friend was trying to kill a bird in the first place. And the gun incident would never have happened.
Posts: 286
Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Gender: ---
Country: UK
SAK owned: lots of blades
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Negotiator; Endangered
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket: ---
House: House boat
QUOTE (Lothithil @ 2 May 2007 - 09:38 AM)
Pete had a son from an early marriage, a marriage that failed because of his sense of duty to his work and his country.
Jack had a moment when he thought that he had become a father.
Jesse Colton found out that he had fathered a child 15 years ago during the Viet Nam war.
Then MacGyver discovers that 20 years ago he also has fathered a son, but he didn't know about him because SAM's mother decided that Mac wasn't 'ready' to become a father.
This is not rehashing an old plot... this is called foreshadowing.
I found it charming that Mac wasn't angry with Kate, just surprised.
It is clear to me that Kate intended to tell MacGyver about SAM, but something kept her from doing it. She was obviously dedicated to her profession. She did tell SAM about his father, even if she never named him, and she gave him the locket so the boy wouldn't feel as if he had no father at all.
I imagine that she didn't tell Mac about the baby because she didn't want to force MacGyer to make a choice between the life he was choosing to live and the expectations and responsibilities of parenthood.
Maybe she belived that MacGyver had a Calling, and that placing such demand on him-- even if she had a right to do so-- would be wrong in the Grand Scheme Of Things.
I love the way that Mac is startled (and bemused) to see SAM doing the same things that he does himself... MacGyverisms, spouting obscure facts, recklessly plunging into situations because of his own sense of duty... like father, like son!
I'd have like to have seen a few episodes with Mac and SAM traveling together, maybe getting into trouble on the road, getting called by Pete or Jack Dalton for help, meeting Mac's women--potentially weird situations there!--or maybe Mac helping SAM on one of his own projects involving his photojournalism.
It's a shame that the end came so abruptly, as new blood could have perked up the show, taking some of the pressure off of RDA and Dana.
Oh, if wishes were fishes...
Foreshadowing ... or testing the waters? If too many fans had written in to say, "Oh, how disgusting that Jack and Jesse committed adultery" (using the rather unusual definition of adultery used by some people on this forum), they probably wouldn't have decided to give Mac a long-lost son.
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
What else did you expect?
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 9,334
Joined: 15 Apr 2016
Gender: Female
Country: Switzerland
SAK owned: a red one ;-)
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (denizen @ 26 April 2017 - 12:43 PM)
Impressive. But the competition back then was also far less than the rivalry nowadays.
Exactly. There are so many TV channels and alternatives now that shows will never reach these high numbers again.
On the other hand, even though the Reboot had the second lowest rating of all the first season episodes, it still managed to win its time slot. It's nice to see that a show called "MacGyver" had the highest prime time viewer rates.
That's always a sign you might be in trouble if your dashboard is on fire... Currently blogging about the MacGyver Reboot on Dashboard On Fire
Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Wow a lot to unpack here after reading this thread.
First I really liked the episode, picking an actor for his son is no easy task, and I thought they pulled it off really well, even though it was a lot to cram into an hour. Mac's expressions when his son was acting MacGyvery or when they said something in unison was priceless. I do think the episode felt rushed, but I liked how it ended. Mac is much younger than Pete, who is practically blind now, so it's unrealistic to think Mac would stay put all the time just to be near Pete. I'm sure they will remain close.
I'm shocked at all this talk of adultery Clearly Mac has had MANY relationships and I assume he slept with ALL of them like a normal adult, lol. He's a pretty liberal guy, and there is not one instance in this show I can think of that suggests he is at all religious - even when he almost dies! The way the show handles his past relationships has always been laughable, half the women guest stars were past Mac loves, where both of them were still not completely over the break up, lol. Rinse and repeat x10 it seems. I prefer when he had chemistry with women he just met personally. Or at least without a past. I hope his Russian lessons went well.
I think it is quite plausible he had a kid he didn't know about it, and the episode Friends certainly establishes Mac could find it possible too. I think Mac doesn't get upset at Kate, because she's dead. If she had been there alongside Sam I'm sure he would have yelled at her. Back when Sam was young Mac was practically a spy, so it's not totally outrageous that Kate wouldn't tell him - or maybe she just wanted her own independence.
I remember someone joking with me back before the finale originally aired (when I was an impressionable 12 year old) that how they would end MacGyver was he would finally get stuck in a situation he couldn't MacGyver out of. That would have been awful! And so would have a clip show, so considering how mediocre season 7 was overall, I think they did pretty well with the finale.
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
You haven't seen There But For The Grace yet? Of course it doesn't have to mean he's religious. I can't see him going to church every Sunday but he's got friends who are priests and helps them out more then once.
MacGyver never did such thing as adultery, yet his college years are packed with women. I think Kate never told him to protect him so that he could live his life the way he wanted and not be chained down in a forced relationship or family situation or she knows his past on how everyone he loves dies and didn't want him to worry about her. I doubt he would've yelled at her if she told him she was pregnant. He was wondering himself why she never told him.
Besides I don't think this is a situation he couldn't MacGyver himself out of. Sam was at least 19 years old and he can always leave. If he was like 5 years old, that's another matter but Sam was old enough to take care of himself.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 20 October 2018 - 02:11 AM)
You haven't seen There But For The Grace yet? Of course it doesn't have to mean he's religious. I can't see him going to church every Sunday but he's got friends who are priests and helps them out more then once.
I doubt he would've yelled at her if she told him she was pregnant. He was wondering himself why she never told him.
Religious organizations do lots of charity work, so it would makes sense that he would help them out. I never got the sense he went to church or anything.
I didn't think he would yell at Kate if she told him back when she was pregnant, but if she had been alive and shown up with a 20 year old son and then told him, I think Mac would have been justifiably upset. He's not upset with Kate because she's dead, so there is no point.
To the thread conversation about whether Mac slept with women, I just rewatched Lost Love, in which there is a bedroom scene, so I think that fairly overtly answers that!
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
But that wasn't adultery. I mean not in the sense of cheating on someone at least.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black leather
House: House boat
I always chuckle when someone tries to rationalize that Mac didn't sleep around, as if he was celibate or something. None of the guys I know are celibate, well... not by choice. I had one friend compare it to a slow death.
So dramatic... XD
"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver) "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein "What are ferrets made of? Happiness."
Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 21 October 2018 - 03:05 AM)
But that wasn't adultery. I mean not in the sense of cheating on someone at least.
Oh absolutely not - but it was suggested by someone earlier in the thread that Mac was a virgin! People were then bringing up episodes where he assumedly slept with someone, but I think lost love is the most overt... unless there is another bed MacGyver scene? If so tell me immediately
Maybe, the thread/question de jour should probably be more tailored like - did he practice safe sex and given his portrayed squeaky clean lifestyle? Along those lines, I think that the close timeline of the series and the rise of HIV/AIDS most likely had some kind of influence(however small) on the scaling down of his sleepover scenes and as the series progressed. Would make for an interesting thread/debate …..
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.
Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!
"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller
"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac
"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein
This is an excellent episode, btw. Okay, the main plot is a tad cliché, but Dalton James is seamless in his portrayal of "Sam", and the cinematography, lighting, and jazzy score, really set the table for that rather emotional and voice-overed ride off into the sun set final scene. Covers guns, smoothies, (lack of) family planning, etc, etc, ,,,, the whole kit&kaboodle!
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.
Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!
"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller
"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac
"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein
Posts: 361
Joined: 3 Oct 2018
Gender: Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Lthrman Squirt
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:ETSS, Partners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 23 October 2018 - 07:16 PM)
Maybe, the thread/question de jour should probably be more tailored like - did he practice safe sex and given his portrayed squeaky clean lifestyle? Along those lines, I think that the close timeline of the series and the rise of HIV/AIDS most likely had some kind of influence(however small) on the scaling down of his sleepover scenes and as the series progressed. Would make for an interesting thread/debate …..
If you're out in the jungle eating lizard.... not sure he packed his protection, his expression in Friends makes me think not
Maybe, the thread/question de jour should probably be more tailored like - did he practice safe sex and given his portrayed squeaky clean lifestyle? Along those lines, I think that the close timeline of the series and the rise of HIV/AIDS most likely had some kind of influence(however small) on the scaling down of his sleepover scenes and as the series progressed. Would make for an interesting thread/debate …..
If you're out in the jungle eating lizard.... not sure he packed his protection, his expression in Friends makes me think not
Goodgawd, you'd think - he being he - could have macgyvered a makeshift thingamadoohee out of that poor old reptile's skin …. in a pinch, wouldn't ya
The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.
Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!
"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller
"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac
"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
I'm not going to read back to find out who said Mac was a virgin. I don't think he was 40-year old virgin.
QUOTE
did he practice safe sex and given his portrayed squeaky clean lifestyle?
If he's as smart as we all think he is, I don't doubt that.
QUOTE
I think that the close timeline of the series and the rise of HIV/AIDS most likely had some kind of influence(however small) on the scaling down of his sleepover scenes and as the series progressed.
That I do doubt. Nobody wanted him to be with someone, that's what they did so no, I don't think so. Mac's not the kind of guy that would just sleep around with anyone, despite he may have had a number. But most of those women weren't the ones who was looking for fling.
QUOTE
If you're out in the jungle eating lizard.... not sure he packed his protection, his expression in Friends makes me think not
Are you implying jungle sex? Me Tarzan, you Jane.
I already said before: who knows what kind of fantasies he has behind the goody two-shoes look. Damn, jungle sex. Never thought of that one. But despite the comic look he had when he saw a pregnant Kate it was impossible since nearly two years had passed since they met. Maybe he's look was: 'we only kissed.'
QUOTE
Goodgawd, you'd think - he being he - could have macgyvered a makeshift thingamadoohee out of that poor old reptile's skin …. in a pinch, wouldn't ya
They always said he could make anything. So why not? Then again I wouldn't risk on using it.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black leather
House: House boat
I have a feeling I'm going to regret this post.....
I can honestly say that Mac is not a virgin. XD
However, there ARE other methods of birth control if you don't have protection... if you know what you're doing. lol
The problem is, no form of birth control is 100% effective. No matter what you do, there's always a risk of pregnancy. So even if MacGyver used protection, there is a slight chance the girl can still get pregnant... though that chance would be fairly small.
So now we have to think like Kate Connelly... she's working overseas, where feminine hygiene products were probably hard to come by. What does a woman do? She gets on birth control because it shortens, lightens and makes menstrual cycles more manageable.
Since she was the one who propositioned MacGyver in the first place, she was probably on birth control already and wasn't worried about a whoopsie. lol
Not saying that was the case, but it would make sense given her circumstances.
"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver) "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein "What are ferrets made of? Happiness."
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
QUOTE
Since she was the one who propositioned MacGyver in the first place, she was probably on birth control already and wasn't worried about a whoopsie.
You can never have too much birth control while you're working.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)