House Boat
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyver
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 02:28 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



I doubt this was necessarily any real inspiration for MacGyver, but I ran across an interesting page about a short-lived (but apparently pretty popular) TV series from the early 1960s called "It's a Man's World".
http://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/itsamansworld.php
It also featured the main character living on a houseboat, along with roommates. The premise of the show is nothing like MacGyver, but it is an example of earlier shows featuring characters living on a houseboat. It includes video clips and pictures- just thought it might be of interest.

(And by the way, offhand there's only a few other shows I can think of with houseboats- the primary ones that come to mind are Simon & Simon and Riptide)



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Berni
Posted: 8 November 2007 - 06:02 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Austria
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:can't decide
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  House boat



In Austria, we also had a series on tv where the main characters lived on a houseboat for some weeks during their holidays.
It was "Die Knickerbockerbande" (books for children by Thomas Brezina), featuring 4 children who solve crimes.
The houseboat was at an Austrian lake ("Neusiedler Lake"), surrounded by reed. A very silent, idyllic place miles from anywhere. Just where kids like to go for vacation tongue.gif



 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
tandt14
Posted: 17 November 2007 - 02:18 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 194
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Land of Confusion
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I was doing some looking around online just to see if the houseboat does still exist and I found the houseboat that Rock found on GoogleEarth. Here's the link:
Houseboat
It reminds me of Mac's houseboat a lot!



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Berni
Posted: 17 November 2007 - 05:57 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Austria
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:can't decide
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  House boat



That houseboat looks sooo cute! Maybe I should move happy.gif
It really looks very similar to Mac's.



 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 17 November 2007 - 08:34 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Yep, thats a houseboat alright! laugh.gif

Hey how do you know its the one I found in gEarth? you use co-ordinates or something?




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
tandt14
Posted: 17 November 2007 - 09:53 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 194
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Land of Confusion
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE
Hey how do you know its the one I found in gEarth? you use co-ordinates or something?


Not quite, I assumed... biggrin.gif The photo was said to have been taken at Coal Harbour and from the two houseboats docked next door, it HAS to be it. Those are some pretty unique looking houseboats.

I guess that I should have worded it differently. Sorry, if I'm wrong.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 17 November 2007 - 10:17 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I just went back and compared the gEarth pic with your photo... It does look like the same houseboat.

If I remember correctly it was also the only houseboat of that design in the marina so, I'd say with a fair amount of certainty that you did find the same one.

Nice work.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll