Survivorman
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 07:01 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Anyone seen a show called Survivorman?

It sounds pretty MacGyverish.



sak.gif + duct.gif + clip.JPG = MacG.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 11:01 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Sounds interesting.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 3 November 2007 - 01:05 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



It is very macish. He shows you how to do basically everything in the wild with little amount of supplies. He always has a knief of sometype with him too.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Macs Lab Rat
Posted: 3 November 2007 - 04:49 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,027
Joined: 6 Apr 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Scotland
SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Sounds cool!
Trying to turn a harmonica in to a salmon catching tool and dismantling equipment and turning it in to other things are both things MacGyver would do.
I’ve never seen this show but will definitely look out for it in the future. biggrin.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 3 November 2007 - 12:31 PM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



I really liked that show... I started watching it for the hurricane information. Got hooked, and learned a lot! (...and updated my hurricane kit to fit his experiences.)

And at first I thought he went out with a small camera crew, but they drop him off with a (heavy) camera and whatever he's wearing and can scrounge up from whatever he finds. All by himself, for several days-sometimes weeks. Amazing! And I agree, it's very MacGyverish.

It's really worth a look if you have Discovery Channel or The Science Channel (in the US... I don't know where it's broadcast elsewhere.) It's a Canadian show...

http://www.survivorman.ca



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 3 November 2007 - 01:11 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



I've seen Survivorman before. It's pretty cool- definitely reminds me of MacGyver. Though I think this guy gets a little crazy every now and then biggrin.gif But it's a fun and informative show and gets the MacGyver Swiss Army Knife and duct tape seal of approval! smile.gif sak.gif duct.gif MacG.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 3 November 2007 - 04:43 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Never seen or heard of it but it sounds very cool. I'll have to look for it when I am in Maryland and have access to cable TV.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 6 November 2007 - 08:03 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



To add more to it, his personality is a lot like Macs. He says over and over again reguarding having to kill animals for food that he does not like the idea of killing for food but in a survival situation you have no choice. It's cool also how he films the show completely himself. If you see a shot of him walking up a mountain with the camera at the bottom you know he has to walk right back down the mountain to retrieve the camera when he is done shooting. Pretty neat show all in all.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MACGYVER86-92
Posted: 16 November 2007 - 11:59 AM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



You should watch Bear Grylls at work in Man vs. Wild. I think it's a cooler show.



 
                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 17 November 2007 - 05:52 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I agree with you there--they parachute him into almost impossible situations, and he shows you survival tips for the most extreme environments! Some of them are downright nasty, too (but necessary)... puke.gif



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 18 November 2007 - 08:54 AM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



I haven't seen that one yet. I thought it was a reality show (like Survivor) so I didn't pay much attention to it. Have to catch it next time I see it on the guide.



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 19 November 2007 - 02:49 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



It is a reality show, insofar as he's dealing with REAL situations (unlike Survivor, where no doubt everything is staged). dry.gif



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 19 November 2007 - 03:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



That's my thought too about Survivor. I tried to watch it, but couldn't take the "soap opera-ish" antics...

I watch Discovery Channel all the time, so I'm sure I'll catch the show at some point and time...



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 19 November 2007 - 05:03 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Survivor's a reality game show. Not a straight reality show.

And I think it's important to make the distinction, because obviously anything in a game show is a false (or "designed") reality.

mind you, I wouldn't call SurvivorMan a reality show either. They openly admit that they extensively scout their locations ahead of time and consult with survivalists and natives to the area to work out what techniques and ideas can be illustrated in the episode.

It seems that any show these days which involves someone either holding their own camera or having a camera follow them is called a reality show regardless of if it's real or not.

Anyone remember when these kinds of shows use to be called documentaries? dry.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 21 November 2007 - 09:27 AM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 19 November 2007 - 01:03 AM)
Anyone remember when these kinds of shows use to be called documentaries? dry.gif

..and they showed them in classrooms... (unlike now, where the school board members are fighting about showing R-rated movies in the local high schools.) dry.gif

Oops! That was a rant. Sorry...



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll