MacGyver the pretender
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 4 July 2007 - 08:30 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I know we've had discussions before about MacGyver's IQ level and his intelligence etc.

And I know there was some debate over what we thought his IQ actually was, but something has just occurred to me.

In the program "The Pretender" the opening credits talk about some people are born with such high levels of intelligence that they can very quickly learn enough about any profession to be able to pass themselves off as being trained in that profession.

Now, I've been thinking about how MacGyver seems to be able to talk specifics with any of the experts he encounters in his adventures, as if he where one of them. Doesn't seem to matter what it is, or where it is.. he knows enough to at least keep up with the experts on that topic.

Could MacGyver been a super genius along the lines of that portrayed in the Pretender? or is he just a high level Polymath?



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 4 July 2007 - 11:32 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



If he was a super genius, I don't think he would've stayed in high school very long let alone that he would've went to college. I think he's just a high level Polymath. He graduated from high school and college and on other matters he said himself in Eye of Osiris, he was kind of self-taught. He knows some things about everything. But those experts... we never know how much more or less they know about it than MacGyver knows.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 5 July 2007 - 05:39 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Self taught people usually study up on a subject before they encounter the experts. I can see MacGyver getting an assignment and doing extensive background research before he actually starts, so thathe is prepared and knows something about the subject. Background research is boring ot watch on TV, so the show"s writers skipped it. We don't see it, therefore Mac looks like a super genius when he starts talking.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 6 July 2007 - 12:14 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I think most things he learned in college and self taught through books and experiences. It is kinda funny though how he always has some sorta idea what is going on and has some background knowledge of it. It would have been funny for just one time where mac had no idea about something as he was talking to someone else. I mean there is a few instances like legend of the holy rose where the women who is a arcieologists and obviously knows more than mac but he does catch on pretty quickly.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 6 July 2007 - 07:48 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



And we can always assume he did some research before starting on an assignment. Reading stuff on the plane, studying plans and escape routes.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
j12752
Posted: 22 July 2007 - 01:24 AM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I've been thinking about this, it could be he just has a "natural talent" for gimmicky things, and has done reading or experimenting with such. I know people like that, they just have an affinity for fixing mechanical things, something, I don't have. I think besides brain power, it's also an "apptitude" for such things



 
                                                                     
Top
MacGirl
Posted: 25 July 2007 - 03:35 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 524
Joined: 3 May 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I agree that Mac probably did quite a bit of research before starting his assignments. Also, chances are he's so incredibly bright that he can pick up on just about anything in a hurry.



Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

 
PM                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll