|
Having been involved in the training and raising of service dogs, I can say that not all dogs have what it takes. Almost all dogs (please note the almost-I used to say all, but life with dogs has taught me that there are dogs that, even as pups, have mental imbalances and the like and no amount of help can help them-but they are rare, rare, rare, rare, rare) have the capacity to become great pets, with love and training (but not without it) but it takes a certain 'something' for a dog to work out as a service animal.
Since this dog was a sevice dog, that 'something' is probably what caused this behavior.
For really interesting ideas on this type of behavior, check out: 'For the Love of a Dog', by Patricia McConnell.
It's excellent.
"Now, come on, Pete! Look at me! I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up! I need a month's worth of sleep! And I need a haircut!" MacGyver, 'Serenity'
|