Then and now
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 12:06 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I've been looking through some recent episode discussion comments and pondering some things.

I think I've touched on this before, but it may be worthy of further discussion.

In recent episode discussions a number of comments have been made regarding.. what I guess would be realism issues... things like incorrect police procedures for example.

This got me thinking to why it didn't bother me back in the 80's and 90's but it does now.

I wonder if it's because we are overloaded with "reality TV" where so much focus is put on showing correct procedures and making things real that we've forgotten about just plain old good entertainment.

I know for myself, the car scene in Flames End with MacGyver looking through the exploded car, wouldn't have raised an eyebrow if it weren't for the fact that we have so many shows like CSI, where we see crime scenes sealed off and forensics people swarming over the area. Also we see this a lot on news items now too

Could it be that in the 80's and 90's we where more concerned with having a good entertaining storyline rather than how accurate and "real" things where?





Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 01:00 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE
I know for myself, the car scene in Flames End with MacGyver looking through the exploded car, wouldn't have raised an eyebrow if it weren't for the fact that we have so many shows like CSI, where we see crime scenes sealed off and forensics people swarming over the area. Also we see this a lot on news items now too

Aren't witnesses allowed? They probably checked MacGyver out and he knew Tim Wexler. I guess because they knew each other and the then presumed dead Amy, they would let him be on the crime scene.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Macs Lab Rat
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 05:11 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,027
Joined: 6 Apr 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Scotland
SAK owned: Huntsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Jack in the Box (...possibly!)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Well, for me the fact I was young enough to believe in such things as happy endings and that the good guys always won was a big factor. To me, back when I first saw MacGyver, it made total sense to me that MacGyver had full access to everything he needed without being challenged because he was MacGyver and was working to save the day. Why would anyone want to hinder him?
I had a big gap between first seeing the show on TV and then getting the DVD’s so I’ve always simply put the fact I notice them now down to the fact I am no longer a kid and know a bit more about the world and how things work. You might be on to something though; today’s shows do have more realism in them and also documentaries etc. following professionals as they work. I don’t remember shows like that back then.
Maybe some of those old enough to have a little more realism than I had when they first saw the show might be able to answer better.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 09:28 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 7 October 2007 - 02:35 AM)
QUOTE
I know for myself, the car scene in Flames End with MacGyver looking through the exploded car, wouldn't have raised an eyebrow if it weren't for the fact that we have so many shows like CSI, where we see crime scenes sealed off and forensics people swarming over the area. Also we see this a lot on news items now too

Aren't witnesses allowed? They probably checked MacGyver out and he knew Tim Wexler. I guess because they knew each other and the then presumed dead Amy, they would let him be on the crime scene.

Thats not how police work. They don't allow anyone on a crime scene until the forensic people have collected all the evidence..

and did we see any forensic people in that scene? no. we did not.

as already mentioned.. in a real situation MacGyver would have been dragged off immediately to have a statement taken.

But thats not really what this discussion is aimed at.. so back to the real topic.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 09:05 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 6 October 2007 - 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 7 October 2007 - 02:35 AM)
QUOTE
I know for myself, the car scene in Flames End with MacGyver looking through the exploded car, wouldn't have raised an eyebrow if it weren't for the fact that we have so many shows like CSI, where we see crime scenes sealed off and forensics people swarming over the area. Also we see this a lot on news items now too

Aren't witnesses allowed? They probably checked MacGyver out and he knew Tim Wexler. I guess because they knew each other and the then presumed dead Amy, they would let him be on the crime scene.

Thats not how police work MG. They don't allow anyone on a crime scene until the forensic people have collected all the evidence..

and did you see any forensic people ion that scene? no. you did not.

as already mentioned.. in a real situation MacGyver would have been dragged off immediately to have a statement taken.

But thats not really what this discussion is aimed at.. so back to the real topic.

Been a long time since I saw that one. Like you said MacGyver would've been dragged off but we don't know if he already made his statement or not.

QUOTE
Could it be that in the 80's and 90's we where more concerned with having a good entertaining storyline rather than how accurate and "real" things where?

A good entertaining storyline was more important back than I thing than the accuracy of real things which is now more important. The world was different than. Besides showing it like it is in reality is a good way to seperate the fine line from fiction and reality.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 09:15 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (MacGyverGod)
Besides showing it like it is in reality is a good way to seperate the fine line from fiction and reality.

Um.. how does making something look real show that it isn't real? blink.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 09:22 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



By making it show real enough? huh.gif



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 7 October 2007 - 09:25 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



*scratches head*

still not sure what your getting at with that one.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 8 October 2007 - 08:24 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



Personally, I don't care that much about realism. I can get over minor details in favor of a good entertaining storyline. It's television- it's not supposed to be totally realistic. I'd rather have some more unrealistic fantasy than any of the "reality" TV shows junk that airs now.




 
PM                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 8 October 2007 - 08:34 AM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



My father was a police officer, so I always got a running commentary about police procedures on every show I watched, but I have to admit that watching crime dramas (like CSI) now has educated me a bit more, even when they go overboard too.

I prefer realism. Makes for a more dramatic scene. Mac should have been to the station for questioning. Also, he handled evidence. Even before the CSI's and other like dramas, I knew that was a huge no-no. Even after the police were gone. Normally Mac wouldn't have had any access to scene or the car, which would have been towed at the conclusion of the forensics folks leaving.

But the show was aired in a "family viewing" (6-7 to 9 PM) timeslot, so it was also how much realism you could get away with (not much then...) I wasn't bothered by the inconsistencies then... now, I wished it could have been more realistic. But it would be bumped up to a 9 or 10 PM timeslot, and would have had an entirely different audience. And Mac might had have had a (I don't know...) grittier character...




"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 8 October 2007 - 08:39 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



I don't think it's as complicated as all that in "Flame's End". MacGyver went in for questioning- they just didn't bother to show it because it would slow the action down. And I can totally see MacGyver having access to the crime scene- yes, I know it's supposed to be left for only the police- but I think MacGyver's position with the government and DXS would have given him access. Or he may have just done it no matter what anyone said because of his personal involvement.
Overall, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I try to let the minor things go and just enjoy the overall story. (Which is probably why I can find enjoyment in much panned movies like "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" and "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier") biggrin.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 8 October 2007 - 11:17 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



In the 80s and 90s the emphasis was on 2 types of stories. The one hour serial, either action/adventure or night time soap opera. The other type of show was the half hour situation comedy. The emphasis for all of these shows was the story.

The action/adventure genre featured a fast paced story, a likeable hero, nasty bad guys and possibly a commentary on the current socio-political scene.

The soap opera/drama genre featured an ongoing story of one or two families populated with nice guys, nasty guys, schemers, plotters and bed hoppers.

The situation comedy featured a family or group of friends, one of whom had some problem that the others tried to solve. The story usuallt featured some absurd situation that would never happen to people in the real world.

My point here is tht in all these types of stories, the story itself is the end goal. Telling a good one was the desired outcome. If the viewer of the story left the experience satisfied enough to tune in next week, then the writer of the story achieved his/her goal.

I think in our discussions, we have seen the episodes often enough that the things we would have overlooked the first or 5th viewing now stands out. In some shows, like MacGyver, which was based on science, the realism of crime scene processing would have enhanced the show. Adding details can slow a story, which is why the writers tended to paint some pictures with a large brush and broad strokes.

Many of us are watching MacGyver on video now and have seen these shows many many times. The initial emotional impact has been diluted somewhat because we have seen the show so often. The anticipation of what happens next as the story unfolds doesn't have the same edge of the seat anticiapation as it did the first time we saw the episode. With this loss of initial emotional impact, we become more aware of little details that we overlooked or dismissed the first time around.

Today's TV shows are a lot more sophisticated in their story telling in that they pay more attention to the details. Shows like CSI get some of it right, but still miss in the technical minutae. Anybody who has ever worked in an analytical laboratory with the types of instruments the CSI use, know that some of the things the writers show, are not possible with these instruments. Again, it has to do with the details. Police procedure is such a closed world for most people, that they are fascinated with any glimpse into this world.

In twenty years, the people who came of age during this era oc CSI and reality TV are going to be having these same discussions. What might they think of shows like MacGyver?

I know I'm a big nitpicker for realism, but a lot of it comes from my background. I spent 20 years working in analytical labs with very high tech equipment and processes. I still enjoy MacGyver. The show tells a good story. The character has a strong set of values and morals I can identify with and for the most part, the show is well written. I enjoyed Mac when it aired in the 80s and 90s. I enjoy Mac now and appreciate having something I can share with my son.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Sheepy
Posted: 8 October 2007 - 07:02 PM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



blink.gif I guess it's that some shows can get away with it and others just... well, can't.

MacGyver holds a lot of magic for the viewers. It's actionpacked, it oozes sex appeal (to go with the words from the soundclip), it has humour, emotion. It has everything. It's mostly entertaining (with some educational stuff)

Where as shows like CSI they are meant to show reality. Of course they are made for entertainment as well, but on a totally different level, I think.

Pretty tough question. Even harder to explain it...



 
                                                                     
Top
Nutsy
Posted: 9 October 2007 - 06:30 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 108
Joined: 5 May 2007
Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I agree with MacGyverGrrl, and with Sheepy,

Nowadays TV shows are far more complex and tend to add "realism" (and many other factors) by showing a great deal of detail in certain aspects, such as accurate police procedures, which I am not sure they are that "real" myself.

Even if the writers in MacGyver had been made aware of these inaccuracies re procedures, protocols or standards, it would probably have messed their story; also the 45 minutes must be hard to stick to. In my opinion, audiences have become more demanding about certain issues now, and certainly because of well-done shows such CSI we now search for a forensics specialist at any crime scene in any kind of show. 20 years have passed and TV has evolved, and so has the public! Which doesn't mean we can still enjoy watching MacGyver over and over and over and over and over...



 
PM                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 9 October 2007 - 06:37 AM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyverGrrl @ 7 October 2007 - 07:52 PM)
In twenty years, the people who came of age during this era oc CSI and reality TV are going to be having these same discussions. What might they think of shows like MacGyver?

You know, it's funny... I probably wouldn't watch the show if it was on today. I've tried to watch the wannabe MacGyver shows, but after a while it just doesn't keep my interest.

I think, for me it's wasn't the premise of the show, but how the actor who portrayed him. Would that show have survived the seven years if it would have any other actor in the lead role? Maybe, but I started watching MacGyver because I watched General Hospital, and I wanted to see how RDA was doing. Even though I really didn't like the first season as a whole, I kept watching because I knew it could be better. And eventually, it was.

But the reason I let my son watch is partly what you said, Sheepy (minus the sex appeal) wink.gif It wasn't violent, he was an action hero who was an everyday guy, solved problems without resorting to gunplay... a good role model. And for me... wub.gif I just got hooked!

QUOTE (Sheepy @ 8 October 2007 - 03:37 AM)
Pretty tough question. Even harder to explain it...

You're not kidding...

QUOTE (Nutsy Posted on 8 October 2007 - 03:05 PM)
Which doesn't mean we can still enjoy watching MacGyver over and over and over and over and over...

...and over... biggrin.gif



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
SAK
Posted: 16 October 2007 - 10:22 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 422
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



CSI and other cop shows like that are correct? ohmy.gif

The running joke around here is to watch Cops to learn what not to do! laugh.gif

I keed, I keed!

sak.gif



I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 October 2007 - 10:40 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



laugh.gif I remember when CSI first aired there was both criticism and praise. Praise from real CSI that it had brought their job into the light and given some idea of what it really entails, but the criticism was that they showed DNA testing to be a quick process, when in reality it takes weeks to get results back, they had them in only minutes.

And of course the producers then had to explain, well we only have 1 hour to tell the story and we need the story to flow from one scene to the next, so you'll need to excuse us on this one.

Which was and is a valid point, but I think something else which might also have an affect on how we watch TV these days is that a lot of shows are now crime shows.. so we have simply come to expect to see crime scenes and interrogations etc because these scenarios now make up so much of what’s we watch, so going back to watch something like the car scene in Flames End.. it just doesn’t match what we’ve come to expect to see with this kind of scenario.. so it stands out as being so SO wrong!!. laugh.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Jess
Posted: 24 October 2007 - 03:07 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 19
Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: UAE
SAK owned: Wenger; black

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Too many to list.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Well MacGyver still beat out Jack Bauer and so on about being the favorite hero people would like to be rescued by. Which means Mac still rules. MacG.gif



~ Jess

"The great thing about a map is that it gets you in and out of places in a lot of different ways" - MacGyver in 'Gauntlet'

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 October 2007 - 08:23 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Not sure how that comment fits this discussion?.. but yes your right anyway.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Jess
Posted: 25 October 2007 - 08:32 AM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 19
Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: UAE
SAK owned: Wenger; black

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Too many to list.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Yeah. might be slightly off topic, but MacGyver then and now. even now, with all the other characters and series out there, people still prefer Mac. which has to say something for the impact the show (and the character) has had on people even if the show is full of cliches and all sorts of things that shows nowadays don't use because it's not too realistic.



~ Jess

"The great thing about a map is that it gets you in and out of places in a lot of different ways" - MacGyver in 'Gauntlet'

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 28 October 2007 - 03:57 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I encounter this problem when writing, too--mostly my own fiction, not so much my Mac stories. You want some realism, otherwise the story could come across as too fantastic and unbelievable, but entertainment is also important. A nice balance between realism and entertainment seems to be crucial in order to win an audience, and I think MacGyver pulled that off well. After all, some of his methods would actually work, but some story elements could be seen as far-fetched and absurd, which I think is why it worked so well--that balance between realism and entertainment. MacGyver helped us forget our daily struggles with action and that hint of fictionalization while at the same time educating us with some "real" science.

You have to be willing to suspend disbelief sometimes when dealing with any fiction, TV or otherwise. If you don't, and all you do is hunt for inconsistencies with "reality," you're not going to enjoy much of it.



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll