Well, I think that could very well be a reason- though it could also be pointed out that one of the good guys on The A-Team was named Murdock, albeit spelt with a "k". I don't know if it's necessarily a common name in real life families- but I suppose it could be.
But I do think that most every good writer usually tries to take all those things into account when creating characters. In Bible times, a person's name was very important because its meaning was used to define the person's life. For example, Jacob actually means "deceiver"- which proved to be true in his life.
And in writing, I think most good writers like to carefully pick a name to fit a personality or even subtly give an indication of their character just in the name. Obviously, some names are just arbitrarily given- but then others have names very fitting. I guess it depends on how much you want to try to read into things. But one example offhand I can think of is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel "The Lost World", wherein Professor Challenger explores South America and discovers dinosaurs still alive. This is a pretty obvious name for an explorer and adventurer.
But yeah- this kind of analysis is the stuff of AP English exams!

(which I definitely remember taking- both the class and the test.)