How often do you feel like MacGyver?
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 12:34 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



How often do you feel like MacGyver? Since the past two months I felt like MacGyver at least three times. Even though I was on my own eating in a café I felt like MacGyver in Runners. Some time later I saw a cement truck and I felt like him in Blow Out and last weekend when I watched my niece and nephew do horse riding I walked around in the stables like in Twice Stung and Jenny's Chance. Also I noticed this name: Palomino in the saddling room. Made me think of the Pilot.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacNymph
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 02:14 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,348
Joined: 4 Jul 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Feel like MacGyver? unsure.gif Or reminded of MacGyver?



~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 02:43 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Feel like, reminded... doesn't matter. It's just I noticed this happening to me, three times already.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Reptile
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 03:12 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 148
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: Slovakia
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Gauntlet
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Apartment



I am still trying to feel like him smile.gif So I am trying to find some places which are similar to the places in the episodes and then going there and act like MacGyver haha happy.gif but sometimes I look like a fool for other people who don't understand what the hell I am doing biggrin.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 03:40 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Yeah, in a way I know what you mean. Sometimes I think that if one day someone would kidnap me and lock me up somewhere on how I would act? Immediately start searching for a way out or just sit there and quiver in fear?



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 05:39 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I can't say that I feel like MacGyver, but I do get kinda tickled when folken at work tease me when I use my SAK or perform an act of improvisation--one can be surprisingly creative in the shipping department! wink.gif --and they call me MacCat or MacGyver. biggrin.gif

I did have a 'MacGyver Moment' t'other day while I was walking across the pedestrian bridges down in the park. They are suspension bridges (reinforced) and I leaned over when I reached the middle and thought about 'The Silent Killer' episode.
EDIT: " The Invisible Killer" *facepalm!*

Of course, the distance to the water was nowhere near the scene in the show, but still... the words "Don't Look Down!" rang in my ears! laugh.gif

MacG.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 07:36 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE
I did have a 'MacGyver Moment' t'other day while I was walking across the pedestrian bridges down in the park. They are suspension bridges (reinforced) and I leaned over when I reached the middle and thought about 'The Silent Killer' episode.

Which episode? huh.gif



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 07:45 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyverGod @ 30 October 2007 - 02:36 PM)
QUOTE
I did have a 'MacGyver Moment' t'other day while I was walking across the pedestrian bridges down in the park. They are suspension bridges (reinforced) and I leaned over when I reached the middle and thought about 'The Silent Killer' episode.

Which episode? huh.gif

This one:

Ahem... I meant to say "Invisible Killer" *facepalm!* tongue.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 07:57 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



tongue.gif



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 10:47 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



Is that a screen grab straight from the episode or a production shot? I just noticed MacGyver's wearing gloves (which makes sense for RDA doing the stunt) though he wasn't wearing any in that scene that I recall.
But I guess that's one of those little things you don't normally notice unless you can really pause and zoom in to capture that moment.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 10:52 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



And to answer the question, I do have moments where I feel like MacGyver. (Or at least like to pretend to be like MacGyver anyway.) biggrin.gif
I think the best I can think of is using a Swiss Army Knife to pick a car lock (to retrieve car keys locked in) blush.gif and having my pocket flashlight and SAK both coming in handy to help change the car tire in a blowout late at night.
(In fact, my whole family whistled the MacGyver theme song for me at that time.) laugh.gif biggrin.gif duct.gif sak.gif MacG.gif
"I'll never forget the motto she taught us- 'Be prepared.' "- MacGyver in "The Gauntlet"
(Cub Scout motto)



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Berni
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 10:58 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Austria
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:can't decide
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  House boat



I think it's a screen grab from the episode. I'm not sure now, but as far as I can remember, Mac is indeed wearing gloves in this scene. I wonder if he is wearing some before and after hanging from the bridge? I think I have to watch it again happy.gif

You can also see the carabiner with which RDA is hanging on a rope from the bridge. I didn't notice the carabiner when watching the episode, but my brother did. I wonder how he noticed that.



 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 12:10 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I also seem to remember the gloves from the episode. As for the carabiner - don't know why, but when seeing this scene the first time I somehow was under the impression that it was a blue screen (or green screen as it is called now) scene, and the abyss not real. Usually you can tell when they only fake it and I wonder why I did assume that, here, which obviously was wrong.


And I always feel like MacGyver when I clean the drainpipe under the wash-basin. Since I don't have any hubby that can do such things for me I have to do it myself, when there is so much stuff in there that the water doesn't go through anymore.

So, all this unscrewing and cleaning and gettings my hands dirty - then I always feel like Mac.

And keep thinking "who needs a hubby anyway?" But sometimes I would love to watch strong hands doing it...



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 12:24 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Since I started watching the show again a few months ago, I’ve definitely noticed something – not so much “feeling like MacGyver”, or being reminded of moments in the series when I’m in a more or less similar location; since I live in the Pacific Northwest, I’m surrounded by very similar scenery and it would be a nearly constant event. smile.gif

Instead, what I catch myself doing is trying to think like MacGyver.

I’ve always tended towards problem-solving anyway, ever since childhood (blame my parents for raising me to be resourceful and independent). rolleyes.gif It's more or less an instinct to try to address a situation as rapidly and effectively as possible, generally using whatever resources I have available, since I’ve never been in a position to be able to just go buy whatever I need when I don’t have it. Nor have I ever been very good at leaving problems lying around for someone else to deal with.

What’s different is that I catch myself being a lot more deliberate, even to the point of asking myself, “Okay, what would Mac do?”

The other thing I’ve noticed is that this particular thought process takes two quite different forms:

Sometimes it’s a case of looking at a problem, looking around to see what’s available, and then identifying the thing that can be used. And, of course, using it.

Sometimes it’s a case of looking at the problem, visualising what it would take to solve it, and looking around to see what’s available that can fulfill the visualisation.

Anyone else find themselves doing this sort of thing?

sak.gif



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
banlu
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 01:48 PM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 98
Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: The sunny south
SAK owned: Classic SD

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Strictly Business and The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Does going to a Halloween party as a roll of duct tape count?

I was visiting my sister over the weekend, and needed to come up with a costume. So I took a sheet of silver posterboard, used some cardboard to make it hold the curve, cut out a space for my necj at one end and my stomach at the other, and tied it on with string across my back.

So I guess i was actually half a roll - couldn't sit down, otherwise LOL

banlu



A hug from Mac seemed to cure almost anything ~sigh~

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 02:37 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



laugh.gif Great costume.

Beth, I do the same thing. I look for solutions to problems and tend to fix things with whatever happens to be at hand. I've used a shoelace to repair a horse bridle when I was on a ride, PAM cooking spray to prevent ice from sticking to the horse's shoes in the winter, pantyhose to temporarily fix a fan belt in a truck, and a security badge as an ice scraper to get frost of my car windows.

Its funny in a way, how these MacGyver moments seem to be everywhere, if we're looking for them.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 31 October 2007 - 09:41 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE
Does going to a Halloween party as a roll of duct tape count?

Try going as a SAK. laugh.gif



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 01:31 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Banlu, I would like to see a picture.

Pretty please? laugh.gif duct.gif



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
perfectlykevin
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 06:01 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 174
Joined: 3 Oct 2007
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Can I say "all?"
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacBeth @ 31 October 2007 - 12:24 PM)
Since I started watching the show again a few months ago, I’ve definitely noticed something – not so much “feeling like MacGyver”, or being reminded of moments in the series when I’m in a more or less similar location; since I live in the Pacific Northwest, I’m surrounded by very similar scenery and it would be a nearly constant event.  smile.gif

Instead, what I catch myself doing is trying to think like MacGyver. 

I’ve always tended towards problem-solving anyway, ever since childhood (blame my parents for raising me to be resourceful and independent).  rolleyes.gif  It's more or less an instinct to try to address a situation as rapidly and effectively as possible, generally using whatever resources I have available, since I’ve never been in a position to be able to just go buy whatever I need when I don’t have it.  Nor have I ever been very good at leaving problems lying around for someone else to deal with. 

What’s different is that I catch myself being a lot more deliberate, even to the point of asking myself, “Okay, what would Mac do?”

The other thing I’ve noticed is that this particular thought process takes two quite different forms:

Sometimes it’s a case of looking at a problem, looking around to see what’s available, and then identifying the thing that can be used.  And, of course, using it.

Sometimes it’s a case of looking at the problem, visualising what it would take to solve it, and looking around to see what’s available that can fulfill the visualisation.

Anyone else find themselves doing this sort of thing?

sak.gif

Now this I've done...sort of like the now popular expression "What Would Macgyver Do?" biggrin.gif When things go wrong around the house/office/wherever, I tend to think this way too. First approach is what can I use to solve the problem and what do I need.

About a year ago, our refrigerator's icemaker developed a leak in it's hose. It was connected to a water line under the house. Rather than turn off the water, wait for a plumber to turn up, I quickly grabbed one of my son's twist ties that came with some new toy. I folded the hose over double and wrapped it nice and tightly with the tie. It held very nicely until the plumber did finally turn up. cool.jpg
The author, Robert Fulghum, wrote about something like this in one of his books. He mentioned how we tend to use available tools that are within reach vs going to the garage to get out the tool box and... I personally tend to agree as laziness definitely has a part in my inventiveness. laugh.gif

Kev

duct.gif + sak.gif equals one very portable tool box. happy.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 1 November 2007 - 02:16 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE
I personally tend to agree as laziness definitely has a part in my inventiveness.
laugh.gif

Laziness + necessity = creative invention.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Berni
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 04:51 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Austria
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:can't decide
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  House boat



I always feel like MacGyver when I have to explain to other people that I don't want to drink alcoholic drinks. It's not that I completely do without them, I just don't need them to celebrate and I don't like the taste of most of them.
For me it's very difficult to understand why people always want me to talk into consuming alcoholic drinks. They seem to be so important to them. I can't just say "No, I'd like to drink some coke today" - no, I always have to explain why mad.gif

Unfortunately, I'm not nearly as inventive (do you say so?) or talented concerning handicraft/science as MacGyver - in fact, who could be as inventive as he is wub.gif ? - so I don't build or fix things like the way he did very often.
But facing a problem I tend to make the best out of the situation like Mac used to do instead of complaining and doing nothing.

QUOTE
Banlu, I would like to see a picture.

Pretty please? laugh.gif duct.gif


Me too! Do you have any? Please?



 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
banlu
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 10:07 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 98
Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: The sunny south
SAK owned: Classic SD

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Strictly Business and The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Astra @ 31 October 2007 - 09:31 AM)
Banlu, I would like to see a picture.

Pretty please? laugh.gif duct.gif

Sorry, I didn't pose for any. And I don't know if any of the other folks bothered to include me, since I was a complete stranger to them all (in essence, I crashed the party LOL) But if one turns up, sure!.

And Berni, I know what you mean about getting pressured to drink - I can't stand any of it! Haven't touched a drop since I was 26, and only once before that did I drink more than a half a beer at a time (and that was an infrequent occurance). People are more accepting as you get older.

banlu








A hug from Mac seemed to cure almost anything ~sigh~

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 2 November 2007 - 10:16 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I never have to explain it, actually. I just order water or juice but there is no pressure at all. I drink alcohol at two ocassions a year - one's birthday (not more than one glass of wine) and the other New Year's Eve, the sparkling wine at midnight, and that's it actually. Don't need it to spend happy hours with my friends, either.



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll