Mac's button-down shirts
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
perfectlykevin
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 05:38 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 174
Joined: 3 Oct 2007
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Can I say "all?"
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I was hoping to know what the style of shirt Mac wears in alot of the episodes I've seen (so far just into season 3). I know this is an 80's style, but I like them and am curious to know if the style is still around. happy.gif

Kev



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacNymph
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 08:56 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,348
Joined: 4 Jul 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Did you mean this kind?

user posted image



~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 09:16 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



That style of shirt is variously known as a "collarless", "stand-up collar" or "band collar" shirt. The collar of a standard men's shirt has two parts, the "band" (the part that stands up and fits close around the neck) and the "fall" (the part that folds over); a band collar shirt eliminates the fall.

Some fashionistas think it was originally inspired by the Nehru jacket, although it differs from both the Nehru and the mandarin collar in that it buttons shut in the front with an overlap. (A Nehru collar meets but does not overlap, and a mandarin collar has a gap with curved edges in front.)

The style is evocative of a slightly ethnic look, and was associated with a style that was outside the mainstream even when dressy -- the kind of shirt you might find on someone who cared about poverty and human rights, for example. It seems to be enjoying a resurgence.

'Beth
your resident source for absurdly trivial costume information



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 10:13 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Wow 'Beth! That was - interesting!


I don't like them actually. I like T-shirts better. When seeing these shirts I always fear if Mac gets enough air or if he feels wedged. The collar is a bit too near to his adams apple for my liking, if you understand what I mean.



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Berni
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 10:45 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Austria
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:can't decide
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  House boat



QUOTE
I don't like them actually. I like T-shirts better. When seeing these shirts I always fear if Mac gets enough air or if he feels wedged. The collar is a bit too near to his adams apple for my liking, if you understand what I mean.


laugh.gif

I don't like this kind of shirt either. Even turtle necks make me feel uncomfortable.

I've never really noticed the collar thing so far. The special patterns of his shirts (like red with white dots on it, if I remember correctly) are what I kept in mind.

By the way: He wore some of those shirts very often, didn't he? Usually actors don't wear the same clothes for a couple of episodes. But Mac must be an exeption as he also wore his leather jacket for several seasons happy.gif (I wonder if that jacket ever got damaged?)

The style is not really around here in Europe, as I have seen so far. Maybe second-hand-look for people who want to dress in a very, very special way.
But if there is a resurgence in the US we will probably see the style around here in the next few years biggrin.gif



 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 11:00 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (Berni @ 7 November 2007 - 12:45 AM)
But if there is a resurgence in the US we will probably see the style around here in the next few years biggrin.gif

Yes, about the time when they already have the next new old thing laugh.gif

(I still can't believe that rope-skipping is the new trendy sports)



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
perfectlykevin
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 01:03 PM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 174
Joined: 3 Oct 2007
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Can I say "all?"
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Thanks fo all of the help! I remember having a few like this back then, but not exactly like Mac's. Mine had the collarless (no flap over material) bit but didn't go up quite as high as his. The ones I've found and had have pretty narrow bands, but sure are comfortable! I liked them because it means no neck tie. biggrin.gif

Kev



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 01:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Berni @ 6 November 2007 - 03:45 PM)
He wore some of those shirts very often, didn't he? Usually actors don't wear the same clothes for a couple of episodes. But Mac must be an exeption as he also wore his leather jacket for several seasons  happy.gif  (I wonder if that jacket ever got damaged?)

They did re-use some costume items; there was at least one really, really ugly print shirt that they used in several Season 2 episodes, including "Twice Stung" and "Family Matter" -- a short-sleeved shirt in a terminally weird pastel print. wacko.gif If that shirt had made any more appearances it would have earned its own Equity card.

And the jackets got a lot of re-use, which is pretty common. They might have had multiples -- they certainly needed a 'stunt jacket' to blow up on "Family Matter".



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 7 November 2007 - 03:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I have a really delicate, lacy white blouse that has a button up collar like those shirts Mac wears, and I bought it just last year brand new, which definitely proves that it is enjoying a resurgence. I never button it up all the way though, because to me it is uncomfortable. Still, I do like the look of that style sometimes.



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 9 November 2007 - 06:58 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I have a collarless shirt in a tiny black and white check print that I bought in the late 80's. I have kept it all these years and have worn it to work, on dates, to parties and camping.

Maybe I'll wear it to the con next August................. hmm.bmp wonder if anyone would notice.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
stampsfan
Posted: 9 November 2007 - 07:57 PM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I don't like those shirts myself...I'm more of a t - shirt, jeans and boots guy biggrin.gif



 
                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 9 November 2007 - 11:16 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Now that I think about it, I'm sure I had at least one of these. If I remember rightly, it was white with little tiny red, blue, yellow, and green paisley's all over it. laugh.gif

QUOTE
QUOTE (Berni @ 6 November 2007 - 03:45 PM)
He wore some of those shirts very often, didn't he? Usually actors don't wear the same clothes for a couple of episodes. But Mac must be an exeption as he also wore his leather jacket for several seasons    (I wonder if that jacket ever got damaged?)


There was a turquoise/aqua colored shirt he wore more than once wasn't there?



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Berni
Posted: 10 November 2007 - 06:37 AM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Austria
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:can't decide
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  House boat



QUOTE
There was a turquoise/aqua colored shirt he wore more than once wasn't there?


The one he often wore with his black jacket in later seasons? When I was younger I really liked that combination wub.gif



 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 10 November 2007 - 01:15 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



They dressed him in blue a lot -- it was a really, really good colour on him! wub.gif



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 10 November 2007 - 03:31 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



It is a great color on him. It's a shame he's colorblind and can't "see" blue sometimes. I read somewhere that sometimes it looks like grey to him.



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 10 November 2007 - 05:01 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



laugh.gif Maybe it was the wardrobe people "getting their own back" on him.

"Oh lets dress him in shades of blue. He wont know what the hell he's wearing" laugh.gif

You know thats the kind of prank he would pull on them.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 10 November 2007 - 07:42 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Then someone in wardrobe must not have liked him. Some of those shirts were just hideous! (shudders)

Quick call the fashion police.


But that little black muscle shirt...... wub.gif



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
SAK
Posted: 19 November 2007 - 11:32 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 422
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I like all of his shirts. I have a solid black shirt in the style that is shown above (no fold-down collar). I like it! smile.gif



I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
SAK
Posted: 19 November 2007 - 11:50 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 422
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Recruit, Hiker

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:I haven't seen them all yet
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



And I just clicked onto another tab, while still on this thread, and I noticed something funny...

user posted image



I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you. -MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 19 November 2007 - 02:43 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Now there's a topic worth discussing! laugh.gif wink.gif



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 20 November 2007 - 07:45 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Sorry, but this was just too funny. I'm not able to any coherent reply yet.



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 20 November 2007 - 04:42 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Oh Baby!!!!!!!! wub.gif



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 21 November 2007 - 02:51 PM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



QUOTE (SAK @ 18 November 2007 - 07:50 PM)
And I just clicked onto another tab, while still on this thread, and I noticed something funny...

Oh... that's too funny!

Thanks... I needed that! biggrin.gif



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll