New Knight Rider, may contain spoilers
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 February 2008 - 06:32 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



OK so who watched it, and what did you think of it?

What did you like, hate or otherwise about the movie?



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 18 February 2008 - 08:07 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I saw parts of it. My nephew, who is a car guy, loved the Shelby Mustang. It looked cool. Lots of effects and such. As far as characters, plotlines, story etc, I will need to see it again or watch a couple more episodes before I can weigh in on those.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacNymph
Posted: 19 February 2008 - 03:37 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,348
Joined: 4 Jul 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



After the first five minutes, having seen "Mike" in bed with two women and a naked lesbian, I was ready to turn it off. If I hadn't been taping it for a friend, I would have.

The last thirty minutes or so felt more like what you would expect from a Knight Rider movie.

The rest was crap. Felt like I was watching a cross of The OC / Las Vegas / Ford Shelby commercial.

I didn't have a problem with the acting in so much as what they had the actors doing. I thought having whosiewhatsit (the Senator from X-Men, don't know his name) was good casting.

Val Kilmer as KITT was hard to take. His voice was enough to put you to sleep and you could tell it was a rushed voice over. Not what you needed at that point after being force feed the above mentioned.

Like I said... liked the last part better than the begining but rating it over all, I'd give it a D, and wouldn't let my children who have seen every Knight Rider episode watch it with out some heavy editing.



~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 19 February 2008 - 05:14 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I thought they did about as good as they can with reserrecting an old series. I wasn't to found of the begining with the sex all over the place type scenes. Yes the original KR michael Knight was a ladies man but it never showed things like that. I know that was the 80's and this is now but I think they should have toned it down alittle so younger audiences can enjoy the show just like I did when it was on. I definitly wasn't to fond of the car they chose but I am starting to adapt. I admit I got a little tearry eyed at the end where the hoff made his appearance. I really wanted him to be michael knight again in the new series but due to his age and things I guess just wasn't logical. I am hopeful that he will become a regular on the show and maybe help out mike tracer doing some missions as RC-3 helped michael on occasion. Overall I was impressed with the show and it well exceeded my expectations. Of course there was continuity errors which is to be expected. It would be neat to see the original kitt get rebuilt and make an appearance in the future. I will be a regular viewer of the show if it is turned into a series.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacWheels
Posted: 19 February 2008 - 11:36 AM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 10
Joined: 9 Feb 2008
Gender:  Male
Country: UnitedStates
SAK owned: MoreThanEnuf

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:PilotEpisode
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I watched it a bit.Jury is still out on this one.Wonder what's next for NBC?

"The Ateam" or "BJ and The Bear"

MacWheels sak.gif matchs.JPG



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 19 February 2008 - 12:30 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



There's an A-team movie due out in 2010

IMDb details about movie

Theres also a Knight Rider movie being written by Glen A Larson at the moment, who was the original creator of the show, and is promising to keep to the original concept and ideas of the show, however, unlike the NBC movie last night, Glen's movie is sounding like a remake, or movie version of the original pilot episode of KR, where Micheal Long becomes Micheal Knight and meets Kitt for the first time.

In any case, last nights movie sure has generated a lot of traffic on the various Knight Rider sites. Knight Rider Online opened a thread for people to talk about the show as they watched it last night and reported something like 200 people online at once. The admin was struggling to keep the site running.

I'm disappointed about the "adult" content, but am hopeful that if it goes to series, the show will be made to fit maybe an 8pm time slot. I thing Knight Rider is one of those shows which should remain family viewable so my kids can watch it with me, as I watched it with my parents when I was younger.

I have to say though that the morphing was stupid. When I first heard about the car morphing I was hoping for somethign like the mechanical Viper transformation from hero to attack mode.

*puts MacKnight geek back in his carry case*

OK I'll shut up now. blush.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 19 February 2008 - 01:49 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



There are some shows that really don't need to be remade. Just hearing the descriptions of this new show is turning me off to it- though it is cool that David Hasselhoff actually made a cameo at the end.
I may try watching it at some point and see if it's really any good. But I doubt it'll ever live up to my memories (and DVDs) of the original Knight Rider series.
And I really wish they would have given this new pilot a different name- like Knight Rider 3000 or something (since that's the new KITT- Knight Industries Three Thousand). At least that way it would be easy to differentiate between the original series and this new version. (Because I really get tired of having new spin-off versions of shows coming out and having to refer to the first series as the "old" or "original" show.)
I also think it's funny that in 17 years, we've dropped back a millennium.
(If anyone's ever seen the 1991 "Knight Rider 2000" TV-movie, starring David Hasselhoff, William Daniels and Edward Mulhare in their original roles- a direct continuation to the original Knight Rider series, you'll get it. In that TV-movie, the new car was called KIFT- for Knight Industries Four Thousand.)
But I think this new version used 3000 so as to be able to still call the car KITT.
(And how does Team Knight Rider fit into all this? Doubt that it actually does.)
(And let's not even mention "Knight Rider 2010"- the 1994 TV-movie that used the KR name but had pretty much nothing to do with the series.)
And thinking about how this new KR series seems to be going reminds me of the "Young MacGyver" pilot- and thinking of how that series might have turned out it had really picked up.
If Paramount wanted to do a "Young MacGyver" series- they should have done it back in 1992 with Dalton James as SAM. That I would have watched. I don't know that I would care to see any other attempts. Oh well- maybe RDA will consent to a serious MacGyver movie one day- you never know.

I may check back when I actually watch this new Knight Rider pilot. I hear it airs again this Saturday night.

(And I'll save any comments on a movie for The A-Team for a later post. It'll never be the same without George Peppard- but with the right recasting, it might be worth a shot..... dry.gif sigh- there's nothing new under the sun.... (and neither is that phrase- it's been around since Solomon's day) wink.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 19 February 2008 - 02:14 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE
I also think it's funny that in 17 years, we've dropped back a millennium.
(If anyone's ever seen the 1991 "Knight Rider 2000" TV-movie, starring David Hasselhoff, William Daniels and Edward Mulhare in their original roles- a direct continuation to the original Knight Rider series, you'll get it. In that TV-movie, the new car was called KIFT- for Knight Industries Four Thousand.)
But I think this new version used 3000 so as to be able to still call the car KITT.
(And how does Team Knight Rider fit into all this? Doubt that it actually does.)

This new show is a sequal to the original KR show, so they have ignored all the other attempts between then and now and carried the story line on from the original show.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 19 February 2008 - 03:36 PM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



I watched it... yeah... so-so rating so far.

I liked it, and I'll probably give it a few more viewings before I make up my mind.

As I said before, I really missed William Daniels. Val Kilmer's voicing fell flat. But again, I'll give him another chance. And it was nice to see Bruce Davison.

And they probably could have cut out a half an hour or so... I felt myself drifting away a few times.

But the car was way cool! I was always a sucker for a Cobra. 'Though I prefer the classic Mustangs instead of the more modern versions.

It's been rumored that Bionic Woman has already been dumped... too bad. I really liked it. And an A-Team movie? Never was a fan of George Peppard... but I'd give it a gander. (Who would they get to play Mr. T's part?)

What else are they going to remake? Is there anything else TO remake?



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 01:29 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I agree with Rock that it should be a more family oriented show and a few snips of the movie would have made it pg IMO. If I had kids, which I don't, I don't think I would care if they watched the original KR dvds because there really wasn't much offensive material in the show which just like Macgyver is partially what drew me into the show. I think if it becomes a show they can iron out the flaws and have a pretty good series. It is hard to adapt to seeing a new car, new star and hearing a new voice. It would be just the same if they remade mac however



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 04:38 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I think I can throw my lot in with most everything said here. The beginning was a total turn off, and an immediate indicator that kiddo won't be seeing any new KR unless major changes are made. And the swearing...c'mon...you can have bad guy attitude without all that.

Mostly I thought it was so so. I know hubby was all stoked about it weeks ahead of time, but I haven't really asked him what he thought. Knowing him, he probably loved it for the Mustang commercial it was! LOL. That's mostly how I felt about it, but then what I remembered of the old show focused on the car and I remember the jokes about Hoff being it's costar or something. I did love the car, but I'm a huge fan of Mustangs, anyway...tho I didn't think it was any more spectacular than any I've seen on the street. I kinda thought the morphing was a cool idea...didn't the original KITT do some transforming things with armor and weapons and such? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. If so, it would have been cool to see something more like that.

I was cool to have Val Kilmer as the voice, but yeah, it was flat...It came across as more of a relaxation mantra than a computerized supercar. KITT had some good lines, tho...LOL...I can't recall any offhand. The one thing I did like was at the end with the nod to the whole tractor trailer thing...you kind of expected it, but then it's this huge aircraft. That was pretty cool.

Overall, I'm not really looking forward to it as a series...not without some major reworking.



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 08:17 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I really liked the scene with Micheal Knight at the funeral.

It had a real feel of the old hading the reins over to the new.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 08:19 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



As far as I know the only weapon had was a laser and that was mainly used for cutting through metal. He did have a flamethrower appartley but I don't recall him ever using it. In season 4 he gain super pursuit mode which allowed him to change his appearance to be more aerodynamic and such. On another note with the new KR I didn't like how it constantly showed the bullet absorbtion that kitt had. It looked extremly fake and I think they would have been better off with using small charges on the car to indicate richottes as done with the original. I always thought that looked so cool anyways. There is a huge heated debate about the beginning scenes right now on one of the KR boards. Even with its flaws I will continue to support the new show if it ever does get produced.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 08:24 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



The new kitt isn't bulletproof as such... it repairs itself with the nano-technology skin, which is also how it morphs and changes colors etc.

So thats why you don't see bullets bouncing off, because they actually don't.

If your thinking morphing and weapons, you might be meaning Viper, that did both and, as I said before, I was kind of hoping for somethign similar with the new Kitt.

user posted image



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 09:48 AM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 19 February 2008 - 05:43 PM)
I really liked the scene with Micheal Knight at the funeral.

It had a real feel of the old hading the reins over to the new.

That part I liked. happy.gif

Hubby said it was the longest Ford commercial he'd ever seen... huh.gif

TVSquad had a decent review:
http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/02/18/knight-r...e-movie-is-meh/

Not that I agreed with everything they said, but I do think it needs a little reworking.



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 11:40 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



one of the really kewl things, was that they have a fully remote controlled car for all the "Kitt driving himself" scenes, instead of the "hide the driver" technique used in the old show.

When they did the movie launch they had Kitt drive in by himself, stop in front of the audience and open both doors up... talk about the ultimate boys toy.. a full sized remote control car! w00t.gif

I see they used the same stunt-driver rig that was used for the Bourne Ultimatum, with a stunt driver sitting in a cage on top of the car and the actors inside the car

user posted image



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 20 February 2008 - 02:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE
When they did the movie launch they had Kitt drive in by himself, stop in front of the audience and open both doors up... talk about the ultimate boys toy.. a full sized remote control car!


Thanks Rock, Just what I needed..............now Jade wants one. dry.gif



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 24 February 2008 - 05:12 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



I finally got to see the new Knight Rider pilot tonight on NBC.
Nice to see the same channel is still airing the show! biggrin.gif

I should probably point out that if this was just a straight remake I probably wouldn't have cared too much. They did a whole reimagining to Battlestar Galactica that I really didn't care much for- and I can't say that I care much about The Bionic Woman remake either (which, by the way, is probably getting canned really soon- sorry to any fans.)
What made one nice difference with this new Knight Rider pilot is that it's actually a continuation of the show- now that's different. I would consider that a spin-off and that I'm usually interested in. I just didn't want to see some young kid come and try to be Michael Knight and do the whole thing over again. I don't really see a point in that.
But at least with this story line, the show's moving forward from where it left off in 1986. (Because I have also seen the "Knight Rider 2000" TV-movie, which starred David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight, Edward Mulhare as Devon Miles, and William Daniels as Knight Industries Two Thousand (KITT)- by the way)
and I'm somewhat familiar with "Team Knight Rider" (and there's really even no need to mention the 1994 TV-movie "Knight Rider 2010" that really had nothing whatsoever to do with the series)
and it doesn't seem like any of these are being considered part of the official canon. So, we're picking up straight from the 1982-1986 series, which is why they keep mentioning the "urban legend" about a talking car that was around 25 years ago.
I think Mike Traceur was likeable enough and I like the connection they made with the daughter Sarah and her dad who worked on the new KITT and apparently the original one too. Now it's a been a while since I've seen the original Knight Rider, but does anyone know if Charles Graiman was ever actually mentioned or seen on the original series as the inventor of KITT? I was thinking Wilton Knight had personally worked on KITT himself- but I may be wrong. As I said, it's been a while since I've seen the show.
It was rather sad that there were three murders in cold blood on the show- I kinda figured that it would be coming, but I really don't think the motel manager's death was necessary for the show's plot.
But speaking of that, I really don't think it was necessary to hear all the profanities on the show either. I think I heard a good 10 choice words at least. (if not more)
And I really, really didn't need to see the sexual lives of the characters at the start of the show. That was incredibly unnecessary. It didn't do a thing for the plot other than to offer a little scandalous element. I suppose we can suppose that the FBI agent had a friend staying over for the night, but that scene sure seemed to imply she was a lesbian, a fact that I just really didn't need to know- and as I said, really didn't do anything for the plot of the show.
And it certainly was not good seeing Mike in bed with not one, but two women.
(And he didn't need to be in bed with any woman unless he was married to her.)
And I suppose it's too much to hope that Michael Knight was actually married to Mike's mother. I definitely would have preferred that.
Those unsavory elements are what pretty much turn me off to most everything that airs on network television today. (Thankfully, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are still pretty clean. wink.gif And I enjoy Smallville pretty well- mainly because it's about Superman. )
Anyway, if they can clean up this junk in the show, then I might be more inclined to watch a possible series.
I will say that I liked seeing David Hasselhoff back as Michael Knight and I like the fact that he mentioned Wilton Knight and how he was the original Knight Rider 25 years ago. And the famous quote from Wilton Knight- "One man can make a difference."- "I was that man."- Michael Knight
(That was cool! smile.gif )
And it's funny how Mike asked if he would see Michael again. "I hope so." is the response- and obviously also the sentiments of NBC. tongue.gif
And Val Kilmer did a decent job as the new KITT. He'll never be the same as William Daniels, but he really wasn't bad though. And hey, they even quoted from The Bible. Jesus told us to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (It's interesting to note that this is a proactive stance rather than Confucious' detached stance.)
(KITT quoted Matthew 7:12, which is one place you can find it. It was kinda funny because I was saying Luke 6:31 at the same time, which is another place you can find that verse and the one I memorized. Hmm- if it's verbatim, that counts for memorizing two verses at once. Cool! biggrin.gif )
And it was also really cool to see Mike wearing the classic Micheal Knight outfit with the red shirt, blue jeans and cool black leather jacket (similar to MacGyver's leather jacket of later seasons. Well, it's what mine doubles for anyway. Of course, mine also has to serve as my Fonzie, Gary Hobson and Indiana Jones jacket too. cool.jpg )
It was also neat at the start of the show to see labels for Knight Industries Two Thousand and the classic "knight" (as in the chess piece) logo.
And wow- they actually kept the theme song! Sure, it was the jazzed up, techno remix type version, but at least it was there and recognizable. That's definitely cool. And they still had KITT backing onto the road from what looked like a tractor trailer at first- then it turned out to be an airplane!

So, the show did a good job of maintaining ties with the original show. I still kind of wonder what happened to FLAG for all these years, but it was neat that Charles actually mentioned it and said that he was reviving it.
It would have been neat to see KITT do some of his trademark moves, like ski mode and my personal favorite- turbo boost! smile.gif (I can still remember Michael Knight saying- "KITT- Turbo Boost!") Woohoo!
But the whole changing the look of the car with nanotechnology was pretty neat. Oh yeah, and the classic "KNIGHT" California license plate (on a blue background with yellow lettering) was visible for at least a second- that was cool too.
I liked some things from the show- I just didn't like some of the explicit content. If they can cut that stuff out, they could have a decent show on their hands- especially if they keep David Hasselhoff on in a mentor type role as the original Michael Knight!
Don't know if anyone on here has tried it, but a few years ago a Knight Rider PC game was made (a UK game- but should be available worldwide, I believe) and I would recommend giving it a try for fans of the show. (I really enjoy it- though you can tell that the British actors are trying to give an American accent their best shot- but it just really doesn't cut it. biggrin.gif But that's not really that big of a deal to the gameplay.)
All right- moving on now. "KITT, Turbo Boost!" cool.jpg



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 February 2008 - 08:05 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE
but does anyone know if Charles Graiman was ever actually mentioned or seen on the original series as the inventor of KITT? I was thinking Wilton Knight had personally worked on KITT himself- but I may be wrong. As I said, it's been a while since I've seen the show.

Wilton Knight came up with the original idea and the money to back it. But he employed a team of specialists to actually construct the car, which makes sense when you consider the different systems employed to make Kitt... Electronics, chemistry for the Molecular Bonded Shell, engineering for the car, computer programming for the AI system and the list goes on.

We actually get to meet 3 of the original build team in an episode called "junk yard dog" after Kitt gets dumped in a pit of acid. Bonnie calls the team in to help rebuild him.

Theres a huge debate going in the Knight Rider Online forums about weather the adult content needed to be there. Some are saying it added immediate character depth and the Mike in bed shows that he was a down and out womanizing gambling loser, which I guess has some merit to it. While the others are arguing that it was unnecessary sleaze in what should be a good fun family friendly show.

I personally can see and understand both sides of the arguments, but I have to agree with the family friendly argument. Knight Rider doesn't need, and shouldn't be, updated to reflect societies ever decreasing lack of standards. Of course it's entirely possible that they deliberately put those scenes in to stir up reaction and get people talking about it and wanting to watch the re-run. They need as much rating as they can get to convince the network suits to take it to series. It would be interesting to see the ratings comparison from the first airing to the second airing and see if the controversy did it's job.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 25 February 2008 - 10:04 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



QUOTE
Of course it's entirely possible that they deliberately put those scenes in to stir up reaction and get people talking about it and wanting to watch the re-run. They need as much rating as they can get to convince the network suits to take it to series. It would be interesting to see the ratings comparison from the first airing to the second airing and see if the controversy did it's job.


Hmm- well, that's certainly possible too. But I think a show should be able to be sold on its own merits without needing some sort of sexual hype or sensationalism to give things a stir.
Maybe they'll tone things down after the series actually gets rolling. And if not, then it'll lose at least one viewer. And if they lose enough viewers who care about moral standards, then it may wind up getting canned that way.
Oh well- I guess we'll see what happens with that.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 February 2008 - 10:27 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



well as the saying goes, "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

I'd be quite surprised if the series carried any of those scenes further. I think the scenes where just part of a marketing plan for that movie, because thats what the suits are using to decide if they will take it to series or not. Theres nothing like a bit of controversy to double your viewing audience. It's the old car-wreak, rubber neck mentality. smile.gif

But yeah, I'd hate to see it go to an adult rating too.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 26 February 2008 - 02:13 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



2008 was definitly a good year for Macgyver and Knight Rider fans. The Macgyver Mythbuster special and a possible new Kr series. Not too shabby.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 28 February 2008 - 02:35 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyver @ 24 February 2008 - 06:30 PM)
QUOTE
Of course it's entirely possible that they deliberately put those scenes in to stir up reaction and get people talking about it and wanting to watch the re-run. They need as much rating as they can get to convince the network suits to take it to series. It would be interesting to see the ratings comparison from the first airing to the second airing and see if the controversy did it's job.


Hmm- well, that's certainly possible too. But I think a show should be able to be sold on its own merits without needing some sort of sexual hype or sensationalism to give things a stir.
Maybe they'll tone things down after the series actually gets rolling. And if not, then it'll lose at least one viewer. And if they lose enough viewers who care about moral standards, then it may wind up getting canned that way.
Oh well- I guess we'll see what happens with that.

Let's hope that's all it was and it does go more family friendly if it does get picked up. wink.gif



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 11 April 2008 - 04:28 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



The new Knight Rider will air on Wednesday nights at 8pm starting in September this year.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
ghostdoll
Posted: 2 May 2008 - 11:11 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 440
Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Puerto Rico
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:D.O.A. MacGyver
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacGyver @ 24 February 2008 - 01:47 AM)
with William Daniels as Kitt's voice...

Er... isn't he a bit "old" right now? I've been searching a bit of info on him and he was actually mature when they made KR in the 80s. His voice wouldn't be the same right now. Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't have found someone able to do an awesome voice work like he did.

QUOTE
(And he didn't need to be in bed with any woman unless he was married to her.)

Er... isn't that a bit biased? I know you're Christian and I'm pretty sure there's a big bunch of Christians here, but still... is more of an opinion, don't you think? My big brothers (got a bunch, I'm among the youngests) have never married the girlfriends they live with right now and one of them have 3 kids with his GF. Perhaps is cultural? I don't know. I asked her if she wanted to get married and she said "heck, no!". For some reason or another that only they do understand, they are happy the way they live and so far the kids don't seem to find it weird, but then again, perhaps is cultural. Where I come from and were I live right now, living-together-unmarried-couples seems sort of common. If is right or wrong is really a matter of opinion. Even believes are a matter of opinion.

ANYWAY. I do agree that the nuddity add NOTHING to the show. Why in the world I cared if the FBI cop was a lesbian???? Did it help me at all???? I would delete that out of the movie since if added ZIP to the plot.

Lets see... loser gammer with two chicks in bed... I couldn't care less. Added really nothing, but people have tried to excuse it as a way to say that yeah, he was a loser. Could be edited, but... well, whatever.

I never watched any of the "rip-off" that were made after the 80s series so I have no idea what TKR was about or any of the movies. Someone told me that the 2000 movie was about a female cop with some of Kitt's chips inside her head and I decided that the whole idea was horrible so I didn't bother to see it. To me - sexist as it may sound, the whole KR thing was a MAN and his CAR. Period. I'm confident in women position in society, I don't need to switch certain things just to show the world that women can do it was good as men.

The car... well, I loved the new car, except for the wide... er, how you call it? The railing thing that "covers" the radiator? I dunno, it was so wide that it kept bothering me blink.gif There was NO turbo boost sad.gif And waht about all the other nifty tricks KITT could do? For such a 2008 high tech car there sure was a huge lack of technology inside... What in the world??? The scientist encripted the satellite data, but not KITT's???? blink.gif That was crazy.

Lets see what follows... the cursing... wow... It really didn't bother me at all. I must be an evil person. Then again, I'm half Argentinian - half Spanish. In both countries (Argentina and Spain), cursing is "normal". As a matter of fact you will heard at least one b-word in every six sentences. And it goes that way for both men and women. Is the way we speak. We never see it as BAD 'cause is cultural. Everybody does. Oh yeah, I can hear some of you saying "just 'cause everybody does it doesn't mean is corrrect". Well, like I said, it doesn't bother me in the least because that's what I grew up with. To us is normal. It's been a bommer since we moved to Puerto Rico, where a big chunk of the population seems to scorn women who curse, and is hard sometimes for me to keep my tongue in check. But lately I have placed my foot on ground and expressed myself the way I always do. If anyone looks weird at me I have told them "I'm half-argentinian-half-spanish. Get over it." I don't go for the "when in Rome do as romans". It feels like I have to pretend to be something I'm not to be accepted and that does against my personal morals that obviously are different from others. Sorry.

Now, if I offended anyone, I apologize in advance. That was never the intention. I have no intentions to start a war or a fight. I just wanted to express my OPINION.



"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 06:24 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



QUOTE
Now, if I offended anyone, I apologize in advance. That was never the intention. I have no intentions to start a war or a fight. I just wanted to express my OPINION.

No offense taken (at least not by me.) You're certainly fine to express your opinions. And I can see that you have different beliefs from me- and that's your choice. I don't believe in forcing people to believe in anything- but I do believe in being free to share one's own beliefs without fear of backlash.
I understand that some people are accustomed to cursing and don't have a real problem with it. I'd rather not hear it- but many curse words have gradually become more and more accepted in society in general- and so I just have to be careful of what I choose to put in my mind. I wish people wouldn't say some words- but I'm not gonna condemn them for expressing themselves in the way they're accustomed.
And again, I know that people definitely have different ideas about sexuality and what's acceptable and all. People have to make their own choices about how they are going to live.
You are, of course, entitled to your own views on moral matters. As I said before, morality is a choice everyone has to make for themselves. I just feel that once you have chosen a path, you should stick to your guns and truly hold to that (and this applies to any religion or philosophy)- because faith without actions is dead.
In any case, I trust that now that the initial groundwork is laid, the show can focus more on the action and adventure aspect and not have to delve into sexuality to spice things up anymore. I like shows to promote decent, family-friendly values- when possible- but at least good morals that leave you with a positive message. We'll just have to see how things progress.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 09:15 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Apparently the series is to retain all the main characters from the movie... No-one knows if that includes the Hoff. but it would be kewl if Michael Knight made regular appearances to help out his son.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 10:00 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Yea that would be neat if the Hoff made regular appearances on the new show.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 10:20 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



It would also be pretty kewl to see him take the wheel of the new Kitt at least once, and go "old school" on the bad guys. biggrin.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
ghostdoll
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 11:23 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 440
Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Puerto Rico
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:D.O.A. MacGyver
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 May 2008 - 06:55 PM)
It would also be pretty kewl to see Michael Knight take the wheel of the new Kitt at least once, and go "old school" on the bad guys. biggrin.gif

You know, just that idea makes tears come to my eyes... 'cause I felt like this new KITT was that, new. I felt like he doesn't even know MK sad.gif It's probably the thing that bothered me the most of the whole spin off. It should have been KITT upgraded, so he would remember MK and all that. Then he would "teach" Traceur about what is it to be Knight Rider. *sigh*

*pats MacGyver's head*
Thanks for not being mad. I was thinking about what you expressed and all that... like you said, everybody is entitled to their own opinions as long as it doesn't mean to disrespect other people's. I think I understand where you're coming from and that's ok. Like I said, I live in a very different world than you. The only thing I do understand 100% is the cursing matter 'cause I can see what's going on in the USA - and perhaps Puerto Rico? - nowadays. At least 10, 20 years ago cursing was something really "taboo" in both countries. In Argentina and Spain was never an issue, like I explained before, what in Puerto Rico is considered "cursing" in these other two places is considered "everyday" talk. Not slang. You can hear this vocabulary all around the country. Very natural for us. But in USA and Puerto Rico is sort of "becoming" now, so I follow the concern from everyone else here in this thread. Is practically the movies and TV the ones pushing the whole "cursing" into the everyday lives. Is like a wave, and obviously not a "good" wave. I dunno... I think it would be like for me to go back to Argentina or Spain and find out they don't talk like this anymore ohmy.gif (I bet that would make happy some people here! wink.gif) It would be sort of shocking to say the least.



"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

 
PM                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll