New Knight Rider, may contain spoilers
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 12:30 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



whats really annoying is that TV stations always argue that their shows reflect current social standards. But anyone with half a brain knows that kids and teens copy or reflect whats shown on TV and in movies. These shows don't reflect anything.. they drive it, but for some reason they don't seem to think that they should show any form of social responsibility.

I've heard many times over, advertising companies saying that it's their responsibility to push the boundaries of what's acceptable, and I think this is pretty much the attitude of the whole broadcasting/media world.

Personally I think media companies need to step up and take responsibility for the power that the media has in influencing our societies.. but of coarse you need decent human beings running things for that, and there-in is the problem...

You don't get to run a company by being a decent human being, so basically we have nasty evil business people in control of the single most influential power in society.. the media.... we're screwed!!



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
ghostdoll
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 11:11 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 440
Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Puerto Rico
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:D.O.A. MacGyver
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



That surely is scary! Wow, how in the world this get to happen is beyond comprehension, although I guess many will say that is the switch between good values to just plain intrest in money and nothing more.

I was talking with my grandma yesterday about Argentinian and Spanish TV and obviously I remember they showed the "cursing" (remember, in these two countries is NOT considered that, but I'm gonna call it this way 'cause in Puerto Rico is considered like that, ok?) not because it was "cool" or whatever but because is the way we everyday speak. Now, grandma told me - and we corroborated yesterday! - that when Argentinian TV programs hit out, like, lets say, there was this soap opera called "Muņeca Brava" (translation: Agressive Doll), that was transmited in Puerto Rico some years ago, every time one of our argentinian expresions was spoken they were censured by a BEEP. I though it was hillarious, 'cause I was not used to it. The point is, Grandma said that Argentina and Spain have to allow this when they want some of their stuff to reach out to other countries because we understand that what is normal everyday talk for us, can be considered "vulgar" or wrong somewhere else. I thought that was neat. Grandma told me that Spain doesn't necesary care - after all neither Argentina are the one who make the censorship, but whoever gets out stuff should know what they have to fix before broadcasting it in their countries.

Most of the movies and programs that get translated for Puerto Rico use Mexico for that. Is pretty much the cleanest spanish translation you'll ever get. They still have a few words, that for them are fine, but if you scream them in Puerto Rico is like TABOO.

Examples:
Cuero - in Mexico I believe is used to say that the person is handsome, pretty, beautiful. In Puerto Rico is a word used to describe a... woman that sells her services (I'm pretty sure you all understand this).

Cuca - in Puerto Rico is a cookie made out of ginger, but in Uruguay - another latinamerican country - that is what the female... body part is called!!

Bicho - this one drives me nuts in Puerto Rico! Any good disctionary will tell you that this word means BUG!!!! Well, in PR is the male part.

At least this kind of "language" corruption I can understand it 'cause it wasn't brought up by TV or the media. Is part of the different cultures. OF course, in my case it sort of gave me this weird tolerance that unless I'm looking to find the cursing, most problably I won't hear it when I watch TV nowadays. *LOL* Last night I was watching some of the MacGyver 1st season episodes again in Joost and since I was looking for it I did get to hear some "curses" like "what the he--" for example. I really never noticed them before laugh.gif



"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 11:43 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



What your actually talking about is differences in dialect or language. The same word having different meanings, which I guess is one of the obstacles of international TV shows.

I'm talking about TV shows and movies having language (which means the same no-matter where in the world you are) which is used just to see if they can get away with it. It's bad taste, bad writing and no intelligence; And then they turn around and say they're reflecting current social values and trends.

That's not current values or trends.. it's what I scrapped off the bottom of my shoe this morning. Unfortunately things aren't going to change, the media will continue promoting stupidity, violence and bad language, and I'll continue to watch my shows on DVD.






Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Lisa Woodman
Posted: 14 May 2008 - 06:45 AM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 19
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Okay everyone, here's my take on the new Knight Rider (bear with me!!)
I hated it! It was aweful, I can't believe I stayed up an hour past bedtime to watch it, YUCK!
They defaced the original KITT and totally tarnished the Knight Rider legacy. How could they?! I got lauged at because through the entire show my family could just feel my blood pressure rising! Anyway, I thought it was a horrible representation of Knight Rider and KITT. The new car had an almost creepy voice, and (sorry all you mustang fans!) it looked absolutely dreadful. But, I am just a diehard Knight Rider series fan. I watched the Knight Rider movie that came with the first season set of DVDs. I didn't like that one at all, even though it had most of the original cast, but they Killed Devon! Oooo!

Okay, I am sorry, I am getting all revved up about this, but I still hope that it doesn't go to a series. I would hate if people who had never watched the series thought that was an accurate representaion of it. YUCK!

Hey, if there is any rating that is worse than an "R", I'd give it to the new Knight Rider. There was some obscene language and the beginning, well, I think you all know what I'm talking about. I'm shocked that they are allowed to air something like that on television. It was just plain aweful. Okay, I'll stop, I think everytime I hear someone talking about the new Knight Rider I get in fighting mode boxing.gif he! he! he! sorry! If I start getting all upset or up in arms over this (or come off as rude) you all feel free to holler! I'll stop now, so I can get my blood pressure back down to a reasonable level!

Lisa Woodman



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 14 May 2008 - 08:29 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



it is going to series. It starts airing later this year in...um.. September?.. can't remember off hand.. but the new series "has a go."



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Lisa Woodman
Posted: 16 May 2008 - 08:07 AM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 19
Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Darn! I still hope that it doesn't get to be a series, maybe the mustang will break down and they'll have to call it off!! If that happened I'd be doing this to
the TV: harhar.gif



Anyway, I'm sorry, I'll stop... I still hope it won't be a series, though. Can't the new kitt malfunction so he can't talk, or something?! That would just make my year happy_dance.gif

Anyway, to all you who liked it, I truly do hope you enjoy the series (although I still hope it doesn't come to that biggrin.gif )
Nevermind me, I'm just a stubborn ol' Knight Industires TWO Thousand fan!

Lisa Woodman

You all must think I am crazy! (Just so I don't disappoint you...) w00t.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 11 June 2008 - 12:16 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



No big surprise here, but I just saw that the new "Knight Rider" TV series pilot telefilm will be available on DVD come September 9th., conveniently timed about two weeks or so before the premiere of the new TV show, which should start September 24th.
Check out the link for further details. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Knight-Ri...t-Telefilm/9812

I can't say I'm necessarily all that thrilled about the new show, but at least they're trying to keep it in continuity with the original series, if not the subsequent TV-movie. But it would be nice if they gave it a new name to help differentiate it. For instance, they could call the new show "Knight Rider 3000"- so that you know the 2008 show is what's being talked about. But then people also have a tendency to shorten titles so even if the official title was "Knight Rider 3000", the show would probably still wind up being colloquially referred to as "Knight Rider", which leads to confusion over which show is being referred to. And that inevitably leads to the original David Hasselhoff show being referred to as the "old" Knight Rider (or "old school" Knight Rider- whatever that means) and the newer series being referred to as the "new" Knight Rider series. And yes, technically that's true- but I like to give the 1982 Knight Rider series a little more respect and now I'll have to refer to it as the classic Knight Rider series- the original Knight Rider series.
(Just look at the Star Trek franchise. People are quick to refer to a TV series as "Star Trek" rather than call it by its full name and that leads to confusion. Because "Star Trek" could refer to the movies, for one thing, as well as "Star Trek: Enterprise", "Star Trek: Voyager", "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", "Star Trek: The Next Generation" or even "Star Trek: The Animated Series" or of course, what is now referred to by fans as "Star Trek: The Original Series"- oh yeah- don't call it old- you will get a tongue-lashing from a true Trekkie! wink.gif

Anyway- sorry to go off into all that- kind of an annoying grammatical and vernacular issue I just wanted to address.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll