Keyboards dirtier than toilets
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 May 2008 - 08:55 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Think twice before eating those dropped crumbs off your computer keyboard - you might as well be eating off a toilet seat, according to a new study on the amount of germs on keyboards.

Read full story here





Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 5 May 2008 - 09:05 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



That doesn't surprise me...I guess I have just one more computer issue to worry about now! happy.gif



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 May 2008 - 11:23 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



*has images of people wearing Bio-Hazard suits while working at their computers*



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
SAG
Posted: 5 May 2008 - 12:43 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 35
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Gender:  Male
Country: Tacoma, WA, USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



Really not terribly surprising....and gross.

Partiicularly for those that work at stations that are in use by other employees.



 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 5 May 2008 - 02:49 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



ohmy.gif Now I know I'm not sharing my computer with anybody. ANybody wants to 'just check my e-mail' can go use the community computers in the computer training lab.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 6 May 2008 - 12:03 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



LOL. Rock you have a knack for finding gems like this.

unsure.gif I do periodically spray mine with Lysol. wink.gif



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGirl
Posted: 9 June 2008 - 10:23 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 524
Joined: 3 May 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Superchamp

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Too many to choose from
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Iiiick!

I suppose this is more of a worry with keyboards that are shared by multiple users. Still, I use a compressed gas duster every few days to keep dust from building up on my keyboard, and I try not to eat at my computer.



Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

You don't eat things like that, you call pest control! Kate in The Gauntlet

What's that?
Lateral... cranial... impact... enhancer. *whack* Last Stand

 
PM                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 01:18 PM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



*ewww*

Thanks, Rocky. I just forwarded that article to LOTS of people!

*going for the Lysol to clean my keyboard, like... RIGHT NOW*



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 01:32 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Sigh. Something to bear in mind: not all germs are created equal. Just counting the bugs doesn't mean anything if you're only tallying numbers. Also, the cliched comparisons with toilet seats is based on skewed data: toilets are cleaned daily with antiseptic chemicals. Very few other things are. The comparison is used because it pushes an emotional button and grosses people out, not because it's a valid comparison.

The article particularly mentions bacteria growth from spoiled food -- which is not the same as the kind of bacteria you're likely to find in the presence of human waste products. It's also different from the bacteria you find inside your own body, much of which is essential to health. Or the bacteria in cheese. Or wine. Etc. etc. etc.

The nastiest thing that can happen with your keyboard and mouse is if someone has a cold and handles your keyboard or mouse -- or phone. But that isn't even bacteria: that's viral contamination. You're at greater risk from doorknobs, handshakes, elevator buttons, stair rails, paperwork, and other objects that many people handle casually in the course of a day.

Admittedly, it's a good idea in general to knock the crumbs out of your keyboard, though -- keyboards can jam, after all!



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 02:12 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



and what happens when someone has been touching the doorknobs, elevator buttons, stair rails and other objects causally in the course of a day and then starts typing on your keyboard?




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 02:55 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I get to smack them?

More to the point is that very few people get the opportunity to touch my keyboard -- but I touch the same doorknobs, rails, money, etc. as often as anyone else. That's the vector.

And since I'm the IT lead at my firn, I have to touch their keyboards . . . bleaugh. I wash my hands a lot.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 03:02 PM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



Well, no one touches my keyboard... and if my son does, I make him wash his hands... because he's a boy and I'm a mother. But I DO eat over my keyboard frequently. It's crummy... wink.gif

I think the grossest article was the one about the purses. I don't carry one. I use a backpack, but the same principle. I'm VERY careful where I set it down.



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 03:15 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Unfortunately, germs are unavoidable. I saw a story on the news about germs in movie theaters. It was disgusting, but you can't shut yourself up in a sealed room the rest of your life.



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 03:23 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



And there's some indication that there are health problems that result from trying to live in an antiseptic environment -- our ability to deal with a normal level of germs can atrophy, much as a muscle can.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 03:32 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I actually get quite annoyed with all the hype about germs we get thrown at us these days.

Human beings like all animals have immune systems specifically to fight germs. Our immune system needs to practice it's job to stay in good shape.. that is.. we need to come in contact with germs in order to have a strong healthy fighting immune system.

All anyone needs to do is wash your hands after toileting and before eating or handling food.

Anyone remember when kids use to go outside and play in dirt and germs and hardly ever got sick?

It's interesting to find out where some of the more common congregation points are for germs, but it's really nothing worth worrying about as long as you wash you hands before they go near your mouth or anything you put in your mouth.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
trtlsoup
Posted: 12 June 2008 - 03:52 PM                                    
Quote Post


RIP Laura - we miss you.
*******

Posts: 1,960
Joined: 4 Mar 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Super Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: Widowmaker
Vehicle: Nomad
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



I don't take antibiotics as a rule, but when I had my brain surgery, the docs kept me on them for over 3 months, despite my objections.

The antibiotics wiped out all the bacteria (good and bad) in my body. So after spending 3 months in the hospital, I had to go back in (in a sterile environment) for 2 more weeks to build up my immune system.

Germs have an important function. We need them.

My son is so healthy because I didn't drag him to the doctor everytime he had a sniffle, whereas my sister was constantly at the docs with her kids. Now they're antibiotic resistant, and my kid never had problems.

I still don't set my pack on a restroom or store floor, but at home, it's always under my desk, and the only things that live there are dust bunnies.

So, yeah Rocky... I totally agree!



"My Jeep went over a cliff, I died... and went to Thanksgiving?"

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll