Out for Awhile
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacsChick
Posted: 28 April 2008 - 09:42 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Hey everyone...

Well, my computer is malfunctioning and having some technical difficulties. I'm at my parent's house currently, borrowing their computer. I had to send mine in for repairs, and it could take up to ten days. sad.gif I'll try to post when I can--my parents live fairly close to me and I see them on most weekends. I just thought I would let you all know that I'll be gone for awhile (not by choice, either. I wish it was because of a vacation or something more pleasant instead). mad.gif comp26.gif



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 28 April 2008 - 10:38 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Darn 'puters! mellow.gif

We'll miss you! Don't forget about us! smile.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyver
Posted: 28 April 2008 - 10:41 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,135
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Observatory



Hmm- well, make good use of the down time. We'll be expecting a full, detailed review of all 139 episodes and both TV-movies of MacGyver when you get back.
tongue.gif biggrin.gif

(for seriously though- hope the computer gets well soon. Y'all come back now, ya hear? wink.gif )



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 April 2008 - 10:43 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



10 days to fix a computer!!!??? ohmy.gif

What is it with computer repairs in the northern hemisphere? MacGyverGod had to wait for weeks, and no you have to wait 10 days.

It only takes a couple of days to completely rebuild a computer.

10 days!!?? eesh!!

Sorry had to get that of my chest. that kind of pathetically slack service really bugs me.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 28 April 2008 - 11:04 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



If its any consolation Rock, it only took the tech about 2 minutes to tell me my external drive is now a 60 gig paperweight.



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 April 2008 - 01:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



and he could sell you another one or a bigger one for X amount of dollars? dry.gif

I hate those guys too!

Unless a drive is physically damaged (either disk or electronics) , it should be fixable.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 28 April 2008 - 01:26 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



The drive is physically damaged.......it got dropped on my ceramic tile floor.

I am currently using flash drives (those little stick things) but I think I am going to subscribe to an online file storage service.

Actually the guy seemed really disappointed that he couldn't fix it. He did tell me if I really wanted the data from the drive I might be able to get a data recovery service to do it but it would cost lots of $$$$, to the tune of $1200! ohmy.gif

Pass. I can reconstruct most of what was on the drive and I had just sent the most recent copy of my most important document to someone else, so I was able to get that back.




Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
  Posted: 28 April 2008 - 01:43 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



well.. thats ok then.. but I've heard far too many stories of people being ripped of by computer techs.

I've even know of a lady who took the family computer in to get a CD drive replaced and was told she would need a new hard drive as well... and this was from a reputable computer store dry.gif I was actually fixing a problem with the web browser on the computer when she told me about it, so I know there was nothing wrong with the hard-drive.

Too many people with no morals concerned with making a fast buck rather than making a reputation of good quality and service.

But anyway this is just somethign that erks me because I'm in the industry and see it all the time.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 29 April 2008 - 01:58 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 28 April 2008 - 12:18 AM)
10 days to fix a computer!!!??? ohmy.gif

What is it with computer repairs in the northern hemisphere? MacGyverGod had to wait for weeks, and no you have to wait 10 days.

It only takes a couple of days to completely rebuild a computer.

10 days!!?? eesh!!

Sorry had to get that of my chest. that kind of pathetically slack service really bugs me.

Weeks? Months, is more like it and what's even more worse, they lost mine! It ended up in different provinces. So you're so right, it bugs me too. I'd say a fixing or rebuilding a computer shouldn't be allowed to take more than four days. I was going crazy in the summer.

So MacsChick if takes longer than that feel free to complain and push them to get it back or else you might end up like I did.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 1 May 2008 - 12:46 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Grrl)
I had just sent the most recent copy of my most important document to someone else, so I was able to get that back.

*bows*



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGrrl
Posted: 2 May 2008 - 05:24 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,949
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



*throws confetti, acknowledges bow* biggrin.gif



Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein

The stuff is already here, I just find a different way to use it. MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
ghostdoll
Posted: 2 May 2008 - 10:16 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 440
Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Puerto Rico
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:D.O.A. MacGyver
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Evil computer techies.

That's one of the reasons I do my own computer repairs. As long as is nothing about programming I've been able to fix computers for a long time now and I always have spare parts in my place (additional burners, harddrives, cables, power supplies, etc.) Whatever I may not have... well, thank heavens for online stores and some local computer shops here in Puerto Rico smile.gif Dad says that when it comes to computer hardware dissasters and me, I'm a sore loser and I don't rest until the computer is back up and running tongue.gif Of course, I met a programmer that said that "anyone" could make hardware repairs. Pffft. I know programming is hard, but he didn't have to dizz my doing just 'cause it was easily done by replacing the broken part.

Evil computer programmers as well.



"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 09:23 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



In my experience 90% of all computer problems are software related; Especially with windows systems. Hardware doesn't generally break down that often.. or shouldn't if it's good quality.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
ghostdoll
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 02:35 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 440
Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Puerto Rico
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:D.O.A. MacGyver
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Well, all my computer problems so far have been hardware related (thank heavens! *knocks on wood just in case*). I have Win XP Pro and so far it hadn't given me any kind of problem a quick system restore point hasn't been able to fix. So far so good. I knew Vista was gonna be a pain when I saw that is nothing more than a bad clone of Apple's computers OS. I stuck with XP

*LOL* You think good hardware shouldn't break that often? I got one of the best power supplies in the market and I had to replace it twice already in the last 2 years. Good thing for extended warranties laugh.gif



"Home. Enough is enough. I will not, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever answer the phone... probably... again." - MacGyver (S1-10: Target MacGyver)

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 May 2008 - 03:19 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



some companies recycle their hardware. meaning they try to fix it and then send it out as replacements to other faulty parts, which sounds good in theory.. but doesn't work so well in reality.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll