Rick gets political, the Sarah Palin comment
  Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacBeth
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 02:23 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I found an intact clip of the portion of RDA's appearance at the Geek Squad Black Tie launch that includes the interview in which they asked him for his political views . . . and he answered, frankly and honestly.

Immediately before this in the clip, Steven Seagal was asked who would win in a fight, his character or MacGyver; he said Mac would win. *G* Seagal was then asked for his political views, and flatly refused to say anything.

Then they interviewed RDA. Here’s the comment about Palin:


Q: Do you have any political endorsements, you know, upcoming elections . . . ?

RDA: Yes, I do. Ask me anything.

Q: Who do you want to be president?

RDA: (very serious) One of the scariest things that has ever happened in my lifetime is the whole Sarah Palin phenomenon. (shakes head) I mean, it’s – I saw Matt Damon saying something the other day on television, it was just, he just was saying it – finally, somebody was uttering the words that should be uttered, that – (shakes head again) it can’t happen. I mean, I swear, as public as any of this can be, please, America, don’t let it happen. Nothing personal, Sarah, but – she can’t handle it. I’m sorry.

She just . . . from my perspective – and I’m a pretty regular guy, but . . . I don’t see . . . (shakes head again) You know, and we’re all worried about her being the vice-president, I think, because – she could be president, for God’s sake. Come on!

Seriously, be objective – as objective as you can. Take a step back and forget that John McCain happened, okay? Now we have President Sarah Palin. (shakes head harder, puts hand to face) Does that make anybody else nervous? Anyone? Answer me, I’m asking you.

He was then asked if “the skills of your character” could be used by the next President to “solve some of the problems” in Iraq and Afghanistan, by building “gadgets”. RDA said “no”. He was in the middle of saying that he thought Obama was “the kind of guy that might appreciate that” when the clip ended.

Nearly forgot to mention -- kudos and thanks to Astra, for sending me the link to the clip! It's here: http://vimeo.com/1748643



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Makes me wonder what Matt Damon said... *eyebrow lift*



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:11 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Googling:

"I think the pick was made for political purposes ... Do the actuary tables and there's a one out of three chance, if not more, that McCain doesn't survive his first term and it'll be President Palin ... It's like a really bad Disney movie.

"The hockey mom, you know, 'oh, I'm just a hockey mom'... and she's facing down President Putin ... It's totally absurd ... it's a really terrifying possibility ...

"I need to know if she really thinks that dinosaurs were here 4,000 years ago. I want to know that, I really do. Because she's gonna have the nuclear codes."



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:14 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



laugh.gif omg... I wanna know too!



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:15 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---






Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:16 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Thanks, Rocky!

Um . . . if worst comes to worst, can I sleep on your couch for the next four years?



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacNymph
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:18 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,348
Joined: 4 Jul 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Amazing. The some of the first words out of his mouth is he doesn't know anything about her and then he continues... huh.gif


Alaska is the first line of defense in our missile interceptor defense system. The 49th Missile Defense Battalion of the Alaska National Guard is the unit that protects the entire nation from ballistic missile attacks. It’s on permanent active duty, unlike other Guard units. As governor of Alaska, Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues,homeland security, and counterterrorism. Her exposure to classified material more than rivals Obama's or even Biden's.

She's also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security's counterterrorism plans. Palin is privy to military and intelligence secrets that are vital to the entire country's defense. Given Alaska's proximity to Russia, she may have security clearances we don't even know about.




~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:35 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



ah well there ya go. She's already got the nuclear codes!! roller.gif

I'm not sure I understand what knowing when dinosaurs where around have to do with nuclear codes.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:41 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Thanks, MacNymph, for putting some perspective on this. I don't want to get into a nasty polictical argument, here, but Nymph brings up some good points.



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:45 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I guess RDA's comments are somewhat expected.

It's always been pretty obvious that he was a democrat supporter, so of coarse he's not going to have anything good to say about Republicans.

It is somewhat disappointing to see him having a go at someone he knows nothing about though.

But I guess he's as entitled to his opinion as the next guy. regardless of how he forms that opinion.






Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 03:52 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Yeah--it is a shame, though, that so many celebrities and entertainers have to have the same opinions about everything. dry.gif



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 04:30 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I'm not sure they do have opinions. They just jump on whatever seems to be trendy at the time.

QUOTE
She just . . . from my perspective – and I’m a pretty regular guy, but . . . I don’t see . . . (shakes head again) You know, and we’re all worried about her being the vice-president, I think, because – she could be president, for God’s sake. Come on!


The thing that strikes me about those comments, was how disjointed they where.

It was like he wanted to jump on the Palin bashing band wagon, but couldn't think of anything to say.

He didn't really seem to finish his sentences.

QUOTE
Take a step back and forget that John McCain happened, okay?

Whats that all about?

At least Matt Damon's comments where actual constructed thought out sentences.

I wish the "reporter" had been someone with a brain and asked him to qualify his comments. That would have been fun to watch.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 07:36 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



You have to add that there was a pretty obvious cut between the question who he wanted for president and his answer. I wonder what else was in there before that. And why does the video end so all of a sudden?



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 08:33 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Was anyone else hoping that Seagal's answer to "which gadget are you going to use next to kill someone?" was going to be "A video camera!" *screen goes black*

That interviewer really was a stupid! In fact I would go so far as to say it was uncomfortable to watch such stupid questions being asked.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
SHEILA
  Posted: 25 September 2008 - 10:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 248
Joined: 27 May 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: East Texas
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Second Loft



Ok I have to say that this whole Sara Palin thing was interesting to read. I was at my college today and seen the video on what RDA said.

I have to tell you for me and my opinion is that I can like an actor and there work but as far as the same opinion they share I have to go own my opinion. I will choose not to share that here but I do agree with Rock.

If you are going to give your opinion on something political a least be able to give some real fact on why you feel the way you do about something.

In closeing I will always support MacGyver. I will support some things that RDA does but not all.

Can someone support someone else halfway on a subject or in life?

What do you guys think?

Can you like the work of an actor and not like the actor for who he really is?



Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 25 September 2008 - 11:44 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Thanks Nymph for the perspective check.

For a well spoken man, those comments certainly were a disjointed jumble.

Sheila, I think the answer to that is yes. I love RDA as an actor and a person, but I don't necessarily think everything he acts, does, or says is gold. *commence gasping* laugh.gif It's like having a friend you love dearly, but you still don't always agree with him.



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 26 September 2008 - 12:59 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Sometimes the reason you feel a certain way about a person isn't based on facts.

Truth to tell, if McCain, Palin, and Obama showed up at my front door, I wouldn't let any of them in. I know only what I know about these people through the media... and let's face it folks, 'facts' aren't what is being sold.

*quietly tiptoes away from political discussion* mellow.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacNymph
Posted: 26 September 2008 - 03:13 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,348
Joined: 4 Jul 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 25 September 2008 - 04:30 PM)
QUOTE
Take a step back and forget that John McCain happened, okay?

Whats that all about?


That’s a good question. The only thing I can think of is that they want to compare Obama to Palin because side by side with McCain there is no comparison. Poor Biden’s become a non issue. In terms of experience, the tickets would be more equal if they read Biden-Obama vs. McCain-Palin.

The thing Obama’s camp seems to most criticize McCain for, is his age. huh.gif The same thing Ronald Reagan had to face. And that, rightfully so, that keeps backfiring in their faces. Unless there’s a secret medical report that says McCain has terminal cancer or a heart defect we don’t know about, I’m not going to write him off for that reason.

QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 25 September 2008 - 04:30 PM)
The thing that strikes me about those comments, was how disjointed they where.

It was like he wanted to jump on the Palin bashing band wagon, but couldn't think of anything to say.

He didn't really seem to finish his sentences.


Uh yeah. He came off on the short end of intellegent and/or thoughtful there. unsure.gif It left me thinking about his track record with women and how he's the single parent of a young girl and made me cringe.



~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacsChick
Posted: 26 September 2008 - 01:09 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 1,889
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



It is sad that actors have to follow the trends and say what they believe is "popular" while alienating half of their fans who do not share that worldview. I still like RDA, but yeah, I disagree with him on some issues, I'll just put it that way. As for his daughter, it seems that he should show her that it is possible for women to achieve. I'm not saying he has to agree politically with Palin, but she's an example of a woman's potential for success. Wylie's too young to remember Ferraro, who ran as a female vice presidential candidate on the Mondale campaign, otherwise he could point to her instead.



"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

--Henry David Thoreau

brains+brawn+beauty+personality=MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 26 September 2008 - 01:44 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (SHEILA @ 25 September 2008 - 10:53 PM)
Can you like the work of an actor and not like the actor for who he really is?

Of coarse.

Most people watch shows and movies, because they like the story and the way it's acted, not because of who the actors are and what they do in their personal life.

The sign of a good actor is that they can convince you they believe what they are saying, even when they do not.














Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Okay, here are some facts, along with the opinions I have as a result.

I live in Washington State. We can't see Russia from here, but we can see Alaska. Palin's history has been reported in detail here. And guess what? "Scary" is an understatement.

QUOTE (Rocky)
I'm not sure I understand what knowing when dinosaurs where around have to do with nuclear codes.

Palin believes in creationism, and follows the Republican party line that global warming is 'unproven', and that no steps need to be taken in reply to it.

In other words, her attitude towards science is so willfully ignorant and dismissive that she prefers to believe that the universe was created 4,000 years ago, and that dinosaurs never really existed but that their fossils were created by God as a test of faith, simply because the fundamentalists interpret the Bible to that conclusion.

I don't want someone with that kind of alleged thought process to possess the power to initiate a nuclear strike. That's what the dinosaurs have to do with it.

Palin belongs to a church that believes homosexuality is an abomination that can and should be "cured" by prayer.

As for Palin's role as a female role model: she has achieved high office, true, but that doesn't make her an advocate for women's rights. She's reached her current level by playing along with the Old Boys' Club -- working behind closed doors, not opening them for the benefit of others to follow. This is how Alaska politics work. Read a bit about the number of investigations for abuse of power are currently underway for assorted Alaskan politicians -- including Palin.

She follows the Republican party line that abortion can't be permitted, even if an underaged girl is carrying the results of incestuous rape, and will die if she bears the child to term. That's how Palin regards the rights of women: as secondary to the religious convictions of her own faith. Are you scared yet? I am, and I don't even have a daughter.

Her own teenage daughter is pregnant, but Palin believes that sex education for that age level should only consist of "don't do it" -- instead of teaching young girls how to prevent, not only pregnancy, but disease. That's what they're talking about when they say "abstinence-only" -- they're saying "keep them ignorant". This is what she wants for her daughter. It's not what RDA wants for his. And it isn't what I would want for mine.

Like most of the power structure in Alaska, which operates on a basis of resource exploitation rather than management, Palin is hostile to environmental causes. RDA may not have been especially eloquent, but he's speaking from his heart.

BTW, RDA is not especially 'well-spoken' -- he tends to ramble a great deal, especially when speaking off the cuff, and especially when emotional. He's also assuming that the listeners know the background of his remarks -- such as the creationism angle and its implications.

I admire RDA all the more for having the courage to speak his mind, even if he wasn't as clear as he might have been. I especially admire it because he knew it was a risk. Seagal wasn't willing to take that risk; RDA wasn't willing to be silent on something that he thinks is critical.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 26 September 2008 - 03:27 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



um.. would she be Catholic by any chance? laugh.gif






Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
SHEILA
  Posted: 26 September 2008 - 05:37 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 248
Joined: 27 May 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: East Texas
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Second Loft



Thanks Rock for your words of encourment. I will alwayw like RDA. He is a fine actor and I will always love his work. But as far as the whole political thing. I will go on what I think on the VP-Palin.




Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Astra
Posted: 26 September 2008 - 07:42 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 664
Joined: 6 Oct 2006
Gender:  Female
Country: Germany
SAK owned: Ambassador

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Thanks, Beth, for explaining what exactly was behind those comments. I'm too far away to know any of these things, and we have enough trouble with our own politicans, thank you very much.

But some of what you wrote sounds indeed scary, and I thought in a world of today we should be way beyond these believings. These sound like they are from last century - wait, they are!

And it's true, I also don't think Rick is a "speaker". One of his quotes from Avalon is "Some have way with words - I have not" or something like that. Never before we saw him talking about politics - the greater impact it had on me this time, him being so serious. Although I admit that I inwardly cringed, fearing for the consequenses for him.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with being a "regular guy".

That does not mean that I like everything about him, either. I followed him along with the "Simpsons", but "Family Guy" has yet to prove its funnyness to me. And as for the things he is famous for doing on set, well... guys! *headshaking*

PS: For those that don't like the questions, I have at home a link to another interview of that occasion, where they talked about MacGyver, if you are interested.



Funny pics with Stargate actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

 
PM                                                                     
Top
sharjan
Posted: 27 September 2008 - 12:59 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 422
Joined: 2 Sep 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Australia
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Just about all of them
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Astra @ 26 September 2008 - 07:42 PM)
Thanks, Beth, for explaining what exactly was behind those comments. I'm too far away to know any of these things, and we have enough trouble with our own politicans, thank you very much.

But some of what you wrote sounds indeed scary, and I thought in a world of today we should be way beyond these believings. These sound like they are from last century - wait, they are!


I so agree with you Astra.
It is so unbelievable that in this day and age people still think like that. I do have a daughter and I hate to think that she would have to endure something like that, because of the beliefs of people like Sarah Palin.
Ricks comments make a lot more sense to me now and seeing how passionate/angry he seemed to be, it may be why he had trouble verbalizing his thoughts.
Knowing all this now certainly leaves me dumbfounded and somewhat speechless. mad.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Liz1976
Posted: 27 September 2008 - 03:51 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,170
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: United States
SAK owned: Unsure:red

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Widowmaker
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
Okay, here are some facts, along with the opinions I have as a result.

I live in Washington State.  We can't see Russia from here, but we can see Alaska.  Palin's history has been reported in detail here.  And guess what?  "Scary" is an understatement.

QUOTE (Rocky)
I'm not sure I understand what knowing when dinosaurs where around have to do with nuclear codes.

Palin believes in creationism, and follows the Republican party line that global warming is 'unproven', and that no steps need to be taken in reply to it.

In other words, her attitude towards science is so willfully ignorant and dismissive that she prefers to believe that the universe was created 4,000 years ago, and that dinosaurs never really existed but that their fossils were created by God as a test of faith, simply because the fundamentalists interpret the Bible to that conclusion.

I don't want someone with that kind of alleged thought process to possess the power to initiate a nuclear strike. That's what the dinosaurs have to do with it.

Palin belongs to a church that believes homosexuality is an abomination that can and should be "cured" by prayer.

As for Palin's role as a female role model: she has achieved high office, true, but that doesn't make her an advocate for women's rights. She's reached her current level by playing along with the Old Boys' Club -- working behind closed doors, not opening them for the benefit of others to follow. This is how Alaska politics work. Read a bit about the number of investigations for abuse of power are currently underway for assorted Alaskan politicians -- including Palin.

She follows the Republican party line that abortion can't be permitted, even if an underaged girl is carrying the results of incestuous rape, and will die if she bears the child to term. That's how Palin regards the rights of women: as secondary to the religious convictions of her own faith. Are you scared yet? I am, and I don't even have a daughter.

Her own teenage daughter is pregnant, but Palin believes that sex education for that age level should only consist of "don't do it" -- instead of teaching young girls how to prevent, not only pregnancy, but disease. That's what they're talking about when they say "abstinence-only" -- they're saying "keep them ignorant". This is what she wants for her daughter. It's not what RDA wants for his. And it isn't what I would want for mine.

Like most of the power structure in Alaska, which operates on a basis of resource exploitation rather than management, Palin is hostile to environmental causes. RDA may not have been especially eloquent, but he's speaking from his heart.

BTW, RDA is not especially 'well-spoken' -- he tends to ramble a great deal, especially when speaking off the cuff, and especially when emotional. He's also assuming that the listeners know the background of his remarks -- such as the creationism angle and its implications.

I admire RDA all the more for having the courage to speak his mind, even if he wasn't as clear as he might have been. I especially admire it because he knew it was a risk. Seagal wasn't willing to take that risk; RDA wasn't willing to be silent on something that he thinks is critical.

Okay Beth,
I want to make a couple of small points if I may be so bold:

Assuming that you are a Democrat, how come when people were bashing Obama's relationship with Rev Jeremiah Wright were so many Democrats up in arms claiming that his relationhip with the man played no part in his beliefs (saying Obama's church wasn't or shouldn't be an issue in the campaign) but Sarah Palin's church is an issue for all Democrats. Isn't that a little hypocritical?

It is a question, not meant to be accusatory.

I also agree with MacNymph about the questions about Sarah Palin having more to do with her lack of experience, because that's where it is at for me. I am concerned about Palin's and Obama's lack of experience--especially in foreign affairs. These are very difficult and precarious times that we are living in, and while I am not sold on Palin, I don't know that Obama (despite us both being from Illinois) has sold me either. Right now I just think that McCain has the most to offer in foreign and military matters.



"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

1 Timothy 2:5 NIV version of the Bible

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacNymph
Posted: 27 September 2008 - 05:42 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,348
Joined: 4 Jul 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



huh.gif Oh my goodness, look at this. Let me preface my response by saying, when I first saw this thread I asked Rocky if he wanted to put a reminder up or guidelines about advocacy. He said he would see where it goes. That being said, maybe I'll be edited by the end of the day. laugh.gif


QUOTE (Astra @ 26 September 2008 - 07:42 PM)
But some of what you wrote sounds indeed scary,


That’s because the people who make it up intend for it to be. wink.gif

I know when someone falls on one side or the other of these hot topics, emotions can soar but, sorry Beth, no disrespect, what you said has few facts, a lot of conjecture and political rhetoric.

Because she attends church you’ve called her willfully ignorant and dismissive. It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that Christians believe in right to life and that homosexuality is a sin. *whispers* Right or wrong, it’s not new news. Assuming someone embraces the far left or right because of their faith or associations isn’t fair-minded. All the same things, and more, could be assumed about Obama or Biden because of their associations and that they attend church. Only the difference would be that their convictions based on their faith aren’t convenient to their political aspirations?

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)

Palin believes in creationism, and follows the Republican party line that global warming is 'unproven', and that no steps need to be taken in reply to it.


Republican party line isn’t that global warming is unproven or doesn‘t exist, it’s that the causes are unproven. TThe Earth goes through warming periods every 70-90 years, and while some scientists believe that the human contribution to carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, however small, is of a critical amount that could upset Earth's environmental balance, mathematically, that hypothesis hasn't been adequately substantiated. Global temperatures have been oscillating steadily, with an average rising gradually, over the last one million years, long before human industry began to release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Average global temperatures have risen less than one degree in the last million years.


QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
In other words, her attitude towards science is so willfully ignorant and dismissive that she prefers to believe that the universe was created 4,000 years ago, and that dinosaurs never really existed but that their fossils were created by God as a test of faith, simply because the fundamentalists interpret the Bible to that conclusion.

I don't want someone with that kind of alleged thought process to possess the power to initiate a nuclear strike. That's what the dinosaurs have to do with it.


See above. Would be interesting to actually hear her say that’s what she believes before she’s ridiculed for it.


QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
Palin belongs to a church that believes homosexuality is an abomination that can and should be "cured" by prayer.


See above.

I assume this stems from a blurb that was issued:

Gov. Sarah Palin's church is promoting a conference that promises to convert gays into heterosexuals through the power of prayer.
"You'll be encouraged by the power of God's love and His desire to transform the lives of those impacted by homosexuality," according to the insert in the bulletin of the Wasilla Bible Church.

Wishful thinking on their part, me thinks, but still not new news about Christians.

Whether Palin thinks homosexuals can be preyed into heterosexuality, I don’t know. But I’m guessing if McCain is elected, homosexuals won’t be herded into intern camps and preyed for until they do. laugh.gif

QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
As for Palin's role as a female role model: she has achieved high office, true, but that doesn't make her an advocate for women's rights. She's reached her current level by playing along with the Old Boys' Club -- working behind closed doors, not opening them for the benefit of others to follow.


unsure.gif I thought the reason she’s where she is is because she didn’t like the Old Boys' Club. They *oink*ed her off by dismissing her so she took them on, took their jobs. laugh.gif


QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
This is how Alaska politics work. Read a bit about the number of investigations for abuse of power are currently underway for assorted Alaskan politicians -- including Palin.


There are a number of investigations going on right now. The Obama camp sent a plane full of lawyers to Alaska to insure it.

For those that don’t know, Troopergate, involves an investigation into the allegation that Palin abused her power by firing Alaska Public Safety Commissioner, Walt Monegan because he refused to fire her ex-brother-in-law, Mike Wooten.

Mike Wooten, a state trooper, threatened to kill Palin’s father, repeatedly drove while under the influence and used a taser on his 11 year old stepson.

Walt Monegan was fired for "performance-related issues" Basically, he was a royal pratt and a member of that Old Boys’ Club Beth refers to.

It would be interesting to note that Mike Wooten never lost his job.
QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
She follows the Republican party line that abortion can't be permitted, even if an underaged girl is carrying the results of incestuous rape, and will die if she bears the child to term. That's how Palin regards the rights of women: as secondary to the religious convictions of her own faith. Are you scared yet? I am, and I don't even have a daughter.


The 1% fall back. happy.gif

Actually, she only thinks abortions should be performed if the mother’s life is in danger. I would assume believing that life begins at conception, she doesn’t blame the child for how it came to being.

But assuming she would attempt to or be able to disregard the rights of women as secondary to her religious convictions of her own faith is a bit knee-jerk. There’s been a republican been in office for the last eight years. Roe v Wade is still intact. And McCain, the man who would be president, also thinks abortions could be performed in cases of incest or rape. He has admitted he’d like to see Roe v Wade over turned, but its because he doesn’t think it’s a issue the federal government should be handling, but rather something that should be handled on the state level.


QUOTE (MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
Her own teenage daughter is pregnant, but Palin believes that sex education for that age level should only consist of "don't do it" -- instead of teaching young girls how to prevent, not only pregnancy, but disease. That's what they're talking about when they say "abstinence-only" -- they're saying "keep them ignorant". This is what she wants for her daughter. It's not what RDA wants for his. And it isn't what I would want for mine.


Keep them ignorant? huh.gif

Palin has said she is "opposed to explicit sex education." in public schools. Maybe she thinks it should be a parent's responsibility to teach their children about sex issues like pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases instead of having a total stranger bestow their views and opinions on her children in a classroom with a couple other dozen twitchy teensagers sitting around.

To argue that abstinence isn’t the best way to prevent pregnancy and transmitted diseases doesn’t make any sense. I know it’s popular to “be a whore” these days (thanks Paris Hilton) but to toss the responsibility of sex education over to the schools instead of advocating parental supervision is absurd.

As far as RDA. dry.gif He didn't refer to any issues. He said "Nothing personal, Sarah, but – she can’t handle it. I’m sorry." blink.gif Like the job (and again, she's not running for President) would be something a lil ole hockey Mom couldn't handle. That's what made me cringe.



~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Amy
Posted: 27 September 2008 - 12:01 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 643
Joined: 4 Apr 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Champ

Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Again, Nymph, thanks for the clarifications.

Just one thing I want to add at this point... Being a creationist doesn't make her willfully ignorant and dismissive of science. In fact wasn't this information...

QUOTE
(MacBeth @ 26 September 2008 - 02:36 PM)
In other words, her attitude towards science is so willfully ignorant and dismissive that she prefers to believe that the universe was created 4,000 years ago, and that dinosaurs never really existed but that their fossils were created by God as a test of faith, simply because the fundamentalists interpret the Bible to that conclusion.


based on some satirical blog for which the writer actually says that he made up the quotes?



"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." Garfield the Cat

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of fresh possibilities. I'm a sucker for mornings." MacGyver

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 27 September 2008 - 02:42 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



There was this public event, see... and one of the people there said something out loud and someone caught it on camera...


Politics and religion. unsure.gif Religion and politics.


Ten foot pole. mellow.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 27 September 2008 - 03:41 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Both Beth and MacNymph have provided an argument from opposite ends of the political spectrum here, and in doing so have shown the very thing which failed RDAs comments.

They both had and explained the reasons for their argument. The only thing RDA managed to do was say that Sarah Palin can't handle being president (which from an outsiders point of view seems silly because she's not running for president blink.gif) but he failed to give any reason for why he thought that way.

Actually to be honest, he failed to make a complete sentence for the most part.

For me, and again this is without having the inside knowledge of actually being an American, he seemed to have just wanted to talk for the sake of it, but had no idea what he wanted to say.

And I'd still like to know who the idiot was doing the interview and how he got the job. *shakes head*

AND why Seagal didn't take the opportunity handed to him, and beat the damn interviewer senseless with his own video camera. boxing.gif


laugh.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll