Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
I have long had my eye on that flight jacket in the store but haven't pulled the trigger on it, but now I have the money in my account and need do nothing more than click and I'll own it. My questions about it are as follows:
1) Do they run big or small?
2) Are they "short" as in should I buy the long variant since I am somewhat lanky? (I am 5'11" and 125lb, some jackets I have bought are a little short)
3) Is it warm enough to work in Indiana/Tennessee during all but the dead of winter? (refer to above, I have a little trouble staying warm between Sept and May- and after the sun goes down in the summer )
4) What is your overall take on it? As good as military quality? Oh and does it have any inside pockets? I LOVE inside pockets
5) Did it give you special MacGyver powers?
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Posts: 208
Joined: 19 May 2007
Gender: Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Huntsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Blow out
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: Loft
Hey man, I highly suggest buying this top quality jacket! I bought mine about 3 years ago at a local army surplus store. Here are some facts about mine.
1. First off, the maker of mine is Rothco.
2. They do run big, so I suggest getting a Large. I weigh about 146lbs and I'm 6 ft. You will grow into it.
3. They are shorter than most jackets. Mine goes just below my belt. Notice Mac's jacket in Season Five.
4. It's definetly warm enough for your needs. I live in Southern Pa, where it can get fairly cold in the winter. These jackets are made for 20 degree temps.
5. Overall, it is my favorite jacket in my collection. It's top military quality. And it does have multiple pockets. It has two slash pockets on the front, One utility pocket on the left sleeve, and two internal pockets.
6. And yes, it does make you feel like MacGyver! Everytime I slip it on, I feel like taking on the world! Wear it with jeans, cargo pants, kahkis, and just about anything you can imagine Mac wearing.
Here's mine:
"...Verily, Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3
"And where are my shoelaces!?"-Dexter Fillmore, Deep Cover
Posts: 52
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Country: North Carolina
SAK owned: Huntsman
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Murderers' Sky
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Driver,
Like you, I have this in my Amazon shopping cart, ready to go. I have seen Bruce McGill wearing the olive drab version of this jacket in a couple of episodes, and I actually like it better than the black. Maybe it has to do with both of us sporting a mustache.
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Hey, thanks! The only question I have is you said they run big that I should buy a large, do you mean buy a bigger size than I normally would? I usually buy small jackets for the way they fit the torso but sometimes I have to get medium so the sleeves are long enough- are you saying I should still buy a large though?
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Hey Driver you should note that MacGyverFans wasn't purchased from our store.
Different brands make slightly different styles. For example mine has the arms at the same length as the torso (like the navy blue MacGyver wears in Negotiator)
Maybe if you went with large you could be sure of it fitting as well as being able to wear it over the normal pile of winter clothing.
Posts: 52
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Country: North Carolina
SAK owned: Huntsman
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Murderers' Sky
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
The one I'm looking at says 'extra full cut,' so I assume that it is made to fit over the normal winter flannel/polartec/whatever. I am 5'9" and 150lbs, with wider shoulders and a thin waist, and I always seem to fit into large-sized shirts, but medium jackets. I'm using that as a guide and I'm going with the medium.
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 12 August 2009 - 04:23 PM)
lol yeah. I fixed up the typo.
and yeah I got a size small. At least that's what the tab said on it anyway.
I have to say it's a pretty big small and I'd hate to see who would wear their size large
Alright, it's done! I ordered a small, now to see whether it fits just right or not when it comes. I figured if not, I will post it on here and make it available to someone else for a few bucks less than what I pay for it
EDIT: I will post pics of how it fits as well so others can get an idea
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Posts: 208
Joined: 19 May 2007
Gender: Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Huntsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Blow out
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: Loft
Hey I meant to say you should go with the small or medium because they do run Large! So sorry for the confusion! Trust me though, you will love your jacket.
"...Verily, Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3
"And where are my shoelaces!?"-Dexter Fillmore, Deep Cover
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Alright, my jacket came! Thanks to all who provided valuable insight on which size to get I went with a small since they apparently run big, and boy do they ever! I might have been able to get by with an extra small if I didn't have such long arms, so it seems I got the perfect size. My new used camera says the card is full after just one picture (and it's a 1 GB card) so I am going to get a new card today and see if I can get some pics up!
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (Pepino1309 @ 18 August 2009 - 03:56 AM)
Can't wait to see your pics. I just bought an Alpha n-2b flight jacket (more girlie), but I don't like the way it fits.
Haha, yeah I looked up a pic and that is significantly more feminine- in fat, what self-respecting man, military especially, would sport that thing? Alright, I need to figure out this dang digital camera timer thing, I don't really want to invite someone over to snap a shot of me in my new jacket Pics to follow soon... I hope
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Well I downloaded the user's manual online and snapped a shot, now I can't find my card reader! I also probably need to buy a new card, it's Compact Flash and they appear to be significantly more affordable on Amazon, but I kinda want to go down to a brick and mortar place and get it now...
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:hard to pick just one
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
QUOTE (MacDriver @ 17 August 2009 - 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (Pepino1309 @ 18 August 2009 - 03:56 AM)
Can't wait to see your pics. I just bought an Alpha n-2b flight jacket (more girlie), but I don't like the way it fits.
Haha, yeah I looked up a pic and that is significantly more feminine- in fat, what self-respecting man, military especially, would sport that thing? Alright, I need to figure out this dang digital camera timer thing, I don't really want to invite someone over to snap a shot of me in my new jacket Pics to follow soon... I hope
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
I finally sorted out my card issue- there was an extra 32mb card that came with the camera, and although small, it still was willing to hold more than one photo haha so I finally got some pics snapped.
Here is one before the jacket, just to give an idea of my insanely muscular build and appearance before putting the jacket on-
I am 5'11" / 6" ish and 130lbs and the the small is baggy enough in the torso I could have bought an extra small but the sleeves most likely would have been too short. It's thicker than it looks- very warm and fluffy, and plenty of room underneath for winter clothes. Mostly the stomach area is exceedingly roomy. It's very comfortable, and not as noisy as you'd expect from a water resistant/proof material. One more thing about the fit, my friend who is 5'5" and 150lbs tried it on and it was still roomy on him, both of us normally buy medium jackets but this small jacket fits like a medium/large. Starting at the beginning, I will say the shipper was very fast (I'm in a suburb of Indianapolis, IN), the jacket was conspicuously brand new with tags and tissue paper etc. and the only thing I noticed that might bother some (but I was indifferent to) was the zipper is metal, and not as smooth as I would have expected, but still an incredible value for what the jacket costs. In short I'd recommend it to anyone for an everyday jacket through the fall and maybe part of the winter if you live in a milder area. The zipper is double sided so you can turn it inside out and wear the orange side out, if you happen to be into hunting *ducks for tomatoes being thrown*. The two inside pockets are very nice to have as well, there are four pockets plus one on the left sleeve with four pen slots and one zip up 3x5 inch-ish pocket for keeping that data card with the list of enemy agents.
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (SpazMan @ 20 August 2009 - 06:05 AM)
Thanks for the pics! Did you happen to buy this from Army Universe through Amazon? Is it a domestic product or imported?
Thanks! I will post pics of the sage green one once I have it... I'm going more for the Young Jack Dalton look LOL.
Ari
Yeah that's exactly who I got it through (same one listed in the store). I looked for a country of origin but I got sidetracked with how cool it was And thanks Pepino, I hope I don't ever quite fill that stomach portion out, but the rest of it would be just fine It was shipped in a box that I honestly did not think it could fit into, so maybe the stomach will stop bulging out like that once it relaxes from being folded up funny.
EDIT: Spazman, you gonna grow out the mustache too? It's funny, every time I start to grow my hair out to get at least a little season 1 Mac going on, I can't stand the length and get it cut like I did this week, I can't imagine that Jack mustache being in any way comfortable/not a nuisance.
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
The jacket looks pretty much the same as mine, I guess they're probably all made in the same factory using the same materials. My ones a bit longer in the body though, but they do have an interesting sizing system where they seem to run a size larger. Could well be a military thing to allow them to be warn over other required clothing.
I liked the big chunky zipper. Means it's tough and wont fall apart on you, just what you need at Mach-2.
Posts: 52
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Country: North Carolina
SAK owned: Huntsman
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Murderers' Sky
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Driver, I already wear a mustache and goatee, and I used to wear a big bushy mustache a-la Bruce McGill.
If I hadn't started balding at 21, I could pull off some 80s hair - I rocked a ponytail when I was a teenager! At 26 now, I tell people I'm working on my 'Patrick Stewart!'
I think I'll find an aviator's cap to complete the Jack ensemble... and to keep my head from getting sunburned.
Posts: 52
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Country: North Carolina
SAK owned: Huntsman
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Murderers' Sky
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Just ordered my sage green one. The thing that I am not clear about is if it will have a short or tall knit waist. In Jack of Lies, Mr. Dalton has a MA-1 with a very tall waistband, and I like that style a lot.
Posts: 52
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Country: North Carolina
SAK owned: Huntsman
Favorites
Season: season 2
Episode:Murderers' Sky
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Hi MacGyver Buddies!
I got my MA-1 jacket today, in the sage green color. It is fantastic! The small one fits well (thanks for all the sizing advice y'all!), but is just a little short in the waist - I am 5'8" and 175 pounds, and I have a longer, narrow waist and broad shoulders. I probably could have gotten a small/tall or M and been ok, but I like this one just fine.
It is really comfortable! I feel no extra weight with this thing on.
One thing I want to know from you folks is... did you notice how cool you stay in it in warmer temps? It's 75 F in my dorm room here, and I can comfortably wear it.
Photos may follow, once I have let the jacket un-wrinkle from its trip across NC in a box this week.
Oh yeah, here's an edit to my original post... I can verify that the Rothco Ultra Force MA-1 is made in China.