A Mac reference I've never heard before
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 July 2009 - 11:53 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I just found a MacGyver reference I've never heard before.

Apparently smokers who fabricate smoking devices (pipes I guess) out of whatever they can find laying around are called MacGyver Smokers.

According to this article, Brad Pitt is one.

I'm (perhaps naively) assuming they're talking about smoking tobacco here, although being that we're talking about Hollywood, it may well have been something stronger, which makes the MacGyver reference all the less appealing.





Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacNymph
Posted: 20 July 2009 - 11:56 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,348
Joined: 4 Jul 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Climber

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Rock The Cradle (today)
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Yep, you're being naive, I've never heard it called that before but it makes sense. I'm missing many a screen from my faucets. mad.gif



~ MacNymph ~

Sometimes the uncontrollable urge to mess with people outweighs the millstone of humility.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Beachbead
Posted: 20 July 2009 - 12:50 PM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I've never heard of it neather, why would they go around speaking MacGyver's name as a smoke?



 
                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 July 2009 - 01:40 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE
Yep, you're being naive

doh.gif

QUOTE
I've never heard it called that before but it makes sense.

Yeah it does. It is basically a MacGyverism I guess. smile.gif




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 20 July 2009 - 01:55 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Anything improvised is going to get labeled in this manner... the clever and the devious. I don't read too much into it. Potheads have been making pipes out of all manner of things for ages. Too bad they can't apply their intelligence to something more constructive than killing brain cells. mellow.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 20 July 2009 - 03:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



true.

The "MacGyver bomb" being the obvious example there. dry.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 16 September 2009 - 08:49 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 19 July 2009 - 07:53 PM)


The "MacGyver bomb" being the obvious example there. dry.gif

C.S.I. episode right?smile.gif



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 September 2009 - 09:17 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---






Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 16 September 2009 - 09:22 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I'm betting they got the idea from the C.S.I. episode a few years ago where it was the same thing and Grissom refered to it as such.



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 September 2009 - 01:16 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Interesting point.

How long ago was that? Cos they been calling them MacGyver bombs for a few years now, but if that episode was on a few years ago, that sounds like a plausible beginning for the term.. or I suppose the writers might have taken the term from the news too.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Beachbead
Posted: 16 September 2009 - 01:27 PM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I also read on the net they have a MacGyver bong, strange world we have.



 
                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 17 September 2009 - 03:42 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 15 September 2009 - 05:16 PM)
Interesting point.

How long ago was that? Cos they been calling them MacGyver bombs for a few years now, but if that episode was on a few years ago, that sounds like a plausible beginning for the term.. or I suppose the writers might have taken the term from the news too.


I think it came out around the same time from the sound of it. As I recall they used nails and baking soda on the show:)



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MACGYVERISMYDAD
Posted: 17 September 2009 - 05:09 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 481
Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Gender:  Male
Country: USA
SAK owned: Exec. Wenger

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:Halloween Knights
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



Probably stemed from the movie Half Baked. This movie is all about potheads and three guys that smoke. In one scene they are listing all the different types of pot heads. Than they get to the MacGyver smoker. It shows some greasy guy laying under a muscle car while hair band music is playing. A friend comes up to the guy under the car and shouts, "hey we are out of rolling papers" The guy pops his head out from underneath the car and you can see he has a mullet. He asks his friend to get him various objects including a snorkle.



Now technically I'm driving a stolen car following a kidnapping... and I didn't even get to have my first cup of coffee. (Mac)
Your burning hot MacGyver... And so is Pete! ! (Murdoc)
Does anyone have a knife?? Yes...it has lots of different blades (Macgyver music plays while mac examines the knief) ...I know
Why are you taking your pants off?? You got a better idea? I'm still trying to figure out what yours is!!

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll