The observatory?
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 September 2009 - 02:52 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



We know the observatory we see MacGyver living in, in the pilot episode was in fact the Griffith Observatory in LA, but do you think it was suppose to be the Griffith Observatory in the show? or just some unnamed observatory.

In one of the outside shots (when MacGyver walks out to meet Gantner) we can actually see the name over the top of the door. In most other episodes the crew went to lengths to hide the real names of locations, so that makes me wonder about what this was meant to be.







Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
dinoman
Posted: 24 September 2009 - 03:59 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 748
Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Hong Kong
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft



I think the reason why the real names of the locations was hidden was because their identities in the show were different from the real life, e.g. a library was posed as law court or a university was posed as a museum. In the case of the observatory, because the facility was an observatory both in real life and in the show, therefore no need to hide the name.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 September 2009 - 05:20 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



so your going with the idea that MacGyver was, in fact, living at the Griffith Observatory within the storyline of the show?




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
dinoman
Posted: 24 September 2009 - 05:34 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 748
Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Hong Kong
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft



No doubt MacGyver lives in an observatory in the Pilot episode. Considering Mac's taste in selecting living quarter, I am willing to believe he did live in an observatory once.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 24 September 2009 - 06:38 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



yeah, I'm not really asking if he lived in an observatory. More asking if the observatory was supposed to be the Griffith Observatory in the episode, or if they just forgot to hide the name.

If it was in fact suppose to be the Griffith Observatory, that then raises the question of does someone actually live there and does it really look like that inside?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, doesn't that kinda mess with the reality-fiction boundaries?



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 25 September 2009 - 02:44 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I think that they just didn't bother to hide the identity of the location. smile.gif

Griffith Observatory has been a favorite setting for other shows. When I saw it being used in the The Man From UNCLE (The Double Affair/The Spy With My Face), I laughed as I recognized it, and said aloud "Hey! MacGyver used to live there! Of course, in that timeline (circa 1964), he wouldn't have lived there YET!"
Saw it again more recently in The Transformers movie. Laughed again. I'm starting to think that it is a multi-fandom landmark--everybody wants Griffith Observatory!

Having a live-in caretaker for such a place is easily believable for me. GO isn't that far away from the city anymore, due to urban sprawl, and the ambient light from LA severly hampers observing the night sky. Thus, I imagine, it has become of limited use as an observatory, and much more popular as a film-site, landmark, monument, and museum.




Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 25 September 2009 - 05:28 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



LOL! I ALWAYS say "MacGyver lived there" whenever I see it somewhere else and I see it a lot! It reminds me of how I always say "They were on MacGyver." whenever I see one of the actors on something else. My family got so sick of me always saying it but it didn't stop me:)



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
dinoman
Posted: 25 September 2009 - 01:23 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 748
Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Hong Kong
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft



I second that!

I really do believe that Mac did live in the Griffith Observatory, though whether the building does have a living quarter in reality is a mystery to me. Till now when I see the place appears in some other shows I would say 'MacGyver used to live here!'



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 25 September 2009 - 09:10 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I'd say so too. In the last scene of the Pilot when they are in the kitchen you can see a bedroom. Of course the question is, is it really in there or is it in a studio?



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 25 September 2009 - 10:17 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (MacGyverGod)
Of course the question is, is it really in there or is it in a studio?

Exactly!



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
mazinger
Posted: 26 September 2009 - 05:16 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 311
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment



Yes, it is the same with all the lofts, apartments... in all seasons. Maybe they shot inside of them, but also in studios. So some rooms can be ficticion, and other can be real, for example in the Houseboat.

I think in the first season, the Venice apartment was shot in the exterior, but maybe the interior was a set of a studio. It would be interesting to know someone who was in the TV show or lived close to the houses in that time, so could tell us about all these questions.




 
PM                                                                     
Top
mazinger
Posted: 29 September 2009 - 09:58 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 311
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment



In this web page: http://www.lalife.com/ you can know details of homes in L.A.

The Apartment of the 1st season was built in 1981, and in the 7th season was in 1991. So when was shot the last season the home was really new.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
mazinger
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 07:50 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 311
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment



Some pics of the Observatory

Attached Image
Attached Image



 
PM                                                                     
Top
mazinger
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 07:51 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 311
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment



second

Attached Image
Attached Image



 
PM                                                                     
Top
mazinger
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 07:52 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 311
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment



3rd

Attached Image
Attached Image



 
PM                                                                     
Top
mazinger
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 07:53 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 311
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment



4th

Attached Image
Attached Image



 
PM                                                                     
Top
mazinger
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 07:54 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 311
Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  ---
House:  Apartment



5th

Attached Image
Attached Image



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Beachbead
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 08:22 AM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



nice photo's of the outside.



 
                                                                     
Top
Miasma
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 08:26 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,045
Joined: 9 Oct 2008
Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I never think of Mac as having lived in the observatory. Somehow, I don't really consider the pilot episode to be "canon." I guess it's because it feels so different-- Mac firing a gun, Pete being some guy named Andy, Mac having a different boss, etc.

Actually, a lot of Season 1 feels a bit different from the rest of the series. In some ways, I think the Mac we got to know throughout the series kind of started with Season 2.




 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 16 October 2009 - 09:07 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



yeah you could say the whole first half of season 1 was a pilot in a way.


In the very first scene with MacGyver and Reggie, we hear the following conversation:

Reggie: "I've had big brothers before. Non of em lived in a place like this."
Mac: "well it's comfy, I call it home."
Reggie: "I thought you had to be real normal to be somebodies big brother? I mean this ain't a normal place to live. This is weird."

So we know that MacGyver was living in the observatory, but my original question was, was it suppose to be the Griffith Observatory in the show, or did they just not cover the name up?

I know in real life it was the Griffith Observatory, but was it suppose to be called that in the episode?



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll