Another Mac Moment
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacDriver
Posted: 2 November 2009 - 10:03 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



So, about a week ago I was driving out of my driveway to leave and I passed a car coming the other way, a very new one in fact, that I heard before I saw. I work on cars quite a bit as I have mentioned before, so I could tell immediately that there was some SERIOUS friction involving metal, and the car was hopping up and down a little, so I could tell they were driving on a very flat tire. It was just dark out so I figured it was a girl who was too scared to stop on our somewhat secluded suburban road. She was barely moving so I was able to turn around and pull up beside her. I motioned her to roll down the window and told her she had a serious flat tire and it was critical for her to get off the road and change it, and I offered my driveway which was by then just in front of her. She turned into the driveway where I thought I was about to simply change a flat tire for a stranger. This is where it gets interesting.

So I worked at a tire store for about a year, and I can honestly say I never saw anything this bad in that whole entire time. One tire was flat, and the other was completely GONE! She was driving on the bare rims down the street, but the thing that tipped me off something was REALLY up was the passenger's mirror that was broken off and hanging by the wire. I looked at this girl who was my age, early 20's, and said "Did this involve another car?"

She was a mexican immigrant who had two children, I discovered, after noticing the car seats in the back seat. She spoke english well enough I was able to talk to her. At first she acted very shocked and confused, and kept saying "It just started making this noise!" I told her I'm a car guy, and I just can't buy that story. I told her you could have been cold asleep and the impact that took those tires and mirror off, and bent the front strut would have immediately made her wide awake. Immediately, she started sobbing. I thought "Oh boy, this is one of those days where everything has gone wrong," I could see it all over her. So I said "Look, I don't even know you, but I can tell when somebody needs a hug." She very willingly accepted, and I could tell I was in for a pretty dang good story. I could tell something worse than the car was wrong in her life, so I started asking her a lot of questions hoping to sort out what to do about her situation and how to help her. I reassured her that I'm on her side and I wouldn't get the police involved since she said it didn't involve another car, and there was no indication of anything like that. So through a downpour of tears, I got it out of her. She had just been dumped by her boyfriend, who found out about her being with her OTHER boyfriend. She worked at a restaurant with the father of one child, and lived with the father of the other child. A very complicated love triangle that by its nature I'm sure is a constant stress. She was terrified to tell the one guy who owned the car, a 2007 import sedan, that she had wrecked it. Her phone died, so I allowed her to use mine. She told both men about the situation, and she received a pretty good dose of verbal abuse from them over the phone by her interpretation of it.

She had been dumped by one of the men and decided to go out drinking to forget about all her sorrows. Apparently she had been in trouble with the law for public intoxication or a DUI before, but somehow she escaped any sort of counseling for it. She left the bar and made it halfway to my house, an area with tall curbs, where she blacked out and woke up to a huge impact. She was trying to limp it home but in that state she was in no condition to face the man or to drive another 2 miles that involved 90-degree turns and possibly police patrol (this road is way overpoliced). So the important thing was I had gotten an intoxicated driver off the road, but I was trying to figure out how to help her situation. She started getting suicidal, saying how she wasn't pretty, wasn't smart, screws everything up, nobody loves her, she's all alone in this world, and now the car. Well after lots of careful encouragement I persuaded her that her night could have ended a LOT worse, and told her that it was her lucky day because she didn't do body damage, which would've costs hundreds or thousands more, and she didn't get in a wreck and die or get a DUI, or hard someone else and do time. Plus her kids need her, etc. etc. etc. And I actually managed to greatly improve her mood until she was actually smiling and laughing, she said I was "So funny"- I guess humor know no bounds- through depression, intoxication, and a language barrier she managed to feel better. I gave her some Kleenex and water bottle telling her she was probably pretty dehydrated between the alcohol and the waterfall coming from her eyes, which elicited even more laughter. When I got out the bundle of Kleenex I brought from the house, which was like, probably literally 75 or so, I said "Here, I know it's a lot, but I didn't know if it was going to sprinkle or pour." Again, more laughter.


She was still not able to tell me what she wanted to do, because she didn't want to face the music in her state. So I made sure her youngest wasn't dependent on her to eat, and then began offering to let her stay on our sofa. She was afraid my parents would turn her in, but I let her know my mom was an alcoholic 30 years ago and that she certainly would understand. She kept saying I was such a good and nice person, and I told her my parents are where I got that from, to come in and meet them.

So, I helped her to the front door and very diplomatically explained the situation to my parents to give them an idea of the seriousness of the matter without making it sound like the light calamity that it was. They were all smiles and hugs and offered to let her stay there for the night, which was definitely a good thing considering she mentioned that her boyfriend was abusive sometimes.

It took an hour or so of talking to her to finally get her in the house, but I pictured it going nowhere good to just sit there, she increasingly grew fonder of me the longer we embraced. At one point she reached back and turned the light on saying "I want to see your face!" After turning the light on, she was like "Ohh, you are so handsome!" It was then that I realized sje must be REALLY drunk! Just kidding biggrin.gif But she seemed shocked all the way around that someone who is nice and attractive would possibly take an interest in her life or be kind to her. I ended up staying the night at a friend's house due to the sensitive nature of her romance life, not wanting to leave any possibilities open for later misunderstandings with large men I don't know. My dad ended up taking her home and explaining the car situation to the boyfriend, who supposedly took it better than expected. My dad offered to drive the guy around, this being their only car, to locate tires, rims, and a strut for it. By the time it was all over, the guy was telling my dad he wanted to take him out for a nice dinner! I helped with the more complicated parts, and later when I met the boyfriend, I was pleasantly surprised to discover he had nothing but gratitude and respect for me, he shook my hand and told me I am a good man with a smile on his face.

Long story short, it all just felt like a big episode of MacGyver. I am just going about my day, and here the universe drops into my lap a girl who was on a collision course with disaster, and I was able to help her out, be a friend when she needed one, and in some way restore a little bit of her faith in humanity and herself. I could never believe that all my years of watching Mac didn't have an impact on my perceiving the situation, being brave enough to get involved and try to help, and persistent enough to get the truth out of her once I read between the lines and figured out what was going on.

I hope none of that sounded self-glorifying, I really did nothing spectacular by my measure, I would help anybody change a couple of tires and cry on my shoulder if they needed it, I am just glad that be being in the right place at the right time I could make the world a better place, one person at a time. I am debating whether to drop by her restaurant every once in a while, show that I care, and provide a little accountability. At the same time though, I don't want to stir the shark tank with the two guys. I could use some input on that, I can't quite figure out what Mac would do on that one? unsure.gif



"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 2 November 2009 - 10:38 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



that's not a Mac moment. It's a Mac episode! laugh.gif

Is anyone else thinking "Birthday"? (with maybe a bit of runners through in for good measure)

I'd be careful about ever going to her restaurant, you might give her the wrong idea about what your interested in and end up with 2 angry Mexicans chasing you.



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Beachbead
Posted: 2 November 2009 - 11:57 AM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



as Rocky said it felt like you had a Mac- episode.
poor woman I hope she finds a guy who will be nice to her.



 
                                                                     
Top
dinoman
Posted: 2 November 2009 - 12:25 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 748
Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Hong Kong
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 2 November 2009 - 06:38 AM)
that's not a Mac moment. It's a Mac episode! laugh.gif

Agree, except what's lacking are some MacGyverisms!



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacDriver
Posted: 2 November 2009 - 01:49 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Oh trust me Rocky, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking- after I told my best friend about it, I showed him Birth Day online, to his dismay, and he never let up about what a lame episode he thought it was haha.

I thought some of the reversals were funny- she had the flat tire and not me, and the husband/bf was thankful, not murderously enraged about it- so that significantly reduced the need for a MacGyverism. Although, I did temporarily use some stuff called JB Weld to hold the rear view mirror back on until the replacement comes, so that and fixing the strut are the "MaGyverisms" I guess tongue.gif Well, and I had to compress the springs with spring compressors that normally you would use a big ratchet or wrench on. My dad started to do it the long way so I got out an electric impact gun that made the job about 30 mins shorter. It just zipped the springs down with little effort. I also used my SAK to cut the duct tape off the driver's mirror that was holding it on from a prior incident with a car wash- so SAK's, duct tape, and a little cleverness were involved, I assure you wink.gif

And that's a good point, now that I remember that one of the guys works with her- the one I haven't seen yet no less- I could picture that ending poorly. I don't want to find a what a Coumbian necktie looks like, since I never really found on on MacGyver. I just feel like she has a Lisa level of alcoholism going on, and if no one provides a little help somehow, she may end up driving her car out of the garage and into the ocean, er I mean, cornfield tongue.gif Seriously though, I hope just getting a second chance will be enough for her to think twice before she puts a bottle to her lips again to escape something. It was really sad to hear her remorse in the moment, she even said "I don't even smoke anymore, and look what I went out and bought today" before removing a pack of cigarettes from her purse. I guess sometimes I am too much of a bleeding heart for people that I can't really help even if I try; it's in her ballpark at this point.



"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 3 November 2009 - 08:21 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



You dog, you! laugh.gif

QUOTE
I don't want to find a what a Coumbian necktie looks like, since I never really found on on MacGyver.

Haven't seen The Challenge yet?

I think that's what it was they pulled on Booker.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 3 November 2009 - 09:55 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



you don't see it in the Challenge MG. That's why he said, he doesn't want to find out what it looks like wink.gif





Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll