MacGy-ja-vou
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 4 November 2009 - 06:39 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I watched an episode of Burn Notice just before...

The main character used Duct tape, Leatherman screwdriver blade, Hairpin (cos he couldn't find a paper clip) and ended up driving away in a hard top Jeep Wrangler. blink.gif

I thought to myself that this all seems VERY familiar. hmm.bmp

sakopen.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 4 November 2009 - 07:32 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



biggrin.gif Yes! 'Burn Notice' has a lot of similarities... including most wonderful voice-overs!
Makes me very MacGyverNostalgic!



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
dinoman
Posted: 4 November 2009 - 08:04 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 748
Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Hong Kong
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft



Burn Notice is essentially a 21st century version of MacGyver, that's why I enjoy the show so much.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacDriver
Posted: 4 November 2009 - 11:34 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I too am in love with the show- obviously he is more "in your face" than MacGyver- and more violent- but still a good guy who tries to be creative and humane. I think Mac was more a man of science and humanity, while Michael is more familiar with the arts of war and deception.

Granted, while nothing will ever replace MacGyver for me, I will say it is as close as TV will probably ever come to a show with a similar premise. In some ways, it seems more realistic than certain episodes of MacGyver where using a gun, if for no other reason than holding off assailants, might have been the only way out. I see a lot of episodes where Mac runs from people shooting at him from a distance that it is highly unlikely a skilled soldier would miss from (namely first season episodes).

On the flip side, I kinda hate that weird relationship Michael and Fiona have- I just think they could have come up with a different way for him to have a love interest. Mac's relationships were more glamorous, there was more chemistry, more spark. Michael and Fiona- well, it's like that awkward first girlfriend you have in middle school where you don't really know what you are.

Anyway, I've only seen a handful of episodes and I will agree that they certainly have crossed the line before of demonstrating a little too much similarity to MacGyver tongue.gif



"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
angus20
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 05:13 AM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 137
Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Gender:  Male
Country: Costa Rica
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:all
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



interesting. MacG.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 08:44 AM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



It even has a Jack Dalton like character who just helps himself to Micheal's food and apartment and tends to be a pain in the butt, but ultimately is always there to when Micheal needs him.

And the icing on the cake is that the Jack character is played by Bruce Campbell. biggrin.gif Can't go wrong with Bruce Campbell. smile.gif






Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Mac Jackson
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 09:00 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender:  Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I tried to watch it but I couldn't get past the acting (in some cases) and it also felt "dark" and I wasn't in the mood for it at the time. I would not say he is the newest version of MacGyver since there is only one MacGyver. All others are merely trying to be like him:)
wink.gif



Mac Jackson
Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series
iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson
Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant"
Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon
youtube.com/macwjack

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Beachbead
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 11:34 AM                                    
Quote Post


Unregistered




Gender:  
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: 
Episode:
Vehicle:
Jacket:  
House:  



I watched it when michael shanks guest stared on the show, for the most part I liked the show, but as someone said it felt darker then what MacGyver was putting out.



 
                                                                     
Top
dinoman
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 12:25 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 748
Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: Hong Kong
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  Loft



QUOTE (Mac Jackson @ 5 November 2009 - 05:00 AM)
I tried to watch it but I couldn't get past the acting (in some cases) and it also felt "dark" and I wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

I agree with you on the 'dark' element of the show. Unlike MacGyver which brings out a message in almost every episode for the attention of the viewers and leave something for us to think about, Burn Notice concentrates only on the personal experience of Michael Western on how to find out the one who burnt him. BN is good for its action and gadgets but Mac offers more 'depth' from its storyline.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
macnut23
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 09:02 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 8
Joined: 5 Nov 2009
Gender:  Female
Country: Philippines
SAK owned: none yet.

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Holy Rose
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Burn Notice... i've seen the adverts for that show but i didn't know the lead acted like MacGyver in some situations! thanks for mentioning it. i'll look it up at once! happy.gif that is, because right now i'm saving up for the box set. my mother and i plan to watch it this christmas -- she's the original fan and the one who got me hooked. MacG.gif



MacGyvering through life whenever possible.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 5 November 2009 - 10:05 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



The box set will make a great Xmas present for you both and in the mean time you can watch Burn Notice. wink.gif



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
macnut23
  Posted: 6 November 2009 - 07:02 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 8
Joined: 5 Nov 2009
Gender:  Female
Country: Philippines
SAK owned: none yet.

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Holy Rose
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 5 November 2009 - 10:05 PM)
The box set will make a great Xmas present for you both and in the mean time you can watch Burn Notice. wink.gif

oh yes, quite right. biggrin.gif



MacGyvering through life whenever possible.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverGod
Posted: 6 November 2009 - 11:28 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



I only saw two episodes or so, but I intend to watch more of it. My brother bought it online.

QUOTE
And the icing on the cake is that the Jack character is played by Bruce Campbell.  Can't go wrong with Bruce Campbell.

The moment where he says 'Mama' to a passing girl in the first episode is hilarious.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll