We know that MacGyver always seemed to be pretty thrifty. He always just stuck with the basics; Never seemed to buy things he didn't really need, he was just a really down to earth, make do, enjoy the simple life kinda guy.
It would stand to reason that a tough global economy, such as the one we're currently enduring, would tend to pull a few people back down to earth, force them to give up a few of the non-necessities in favor of saving the cash for more important things.
Has anyone here found themselves heading down the MacGyver path of economy, where you're being more thrifty and down to earth about what they buy or deciding to make do with what they have? Maybe even MacGyvering a way to use something else so you don't have to go out and buy a new item for that specific job?
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
Oh absolutely- I am in college on top of the bad economy, so money is definitely always tight for me. I buy things in bulk, or at least the larger quantity, for the cheaper per unit price. When I buy things online I use coupon codes, I pay cash for everything I can to reduce the chance of overdrafts. Still haven't gotten one, just afraid someday I will add things up wrong in my head. Anyway, I sell stuff on ebay now and then, I stretch out haircut intervals sometimes, and I make use of craigslist and various websites for any significant purchases, rather than buying new. I hit the clearance isles of department stores, and I definitely buy things like batteries in bulk. I even buy my SAK's used- remarkably, if you do it right, you can get some that are in pretty good shape very inexpensively.
So yeah, I think it was always just sort of implied, rather than stated outright that Mac was very thrifty. He lived in conservative living arrangements, the most lavish thing he owned was the houseboat, which is really not that over the top. He had a PC, or Mac, whichever it was , and a motorcycle. Never more than one car at a time that was shown, but then the Jeep reappeared toward the end, so maybe he kept it in storage?
Now I've actually been meaning to bring this up- so he was a very economical person by and large, and yet, he would buy what, at the time, were pretty expensive shoes, watches (after the TImex), and ESPECIALLY jackets haha. Now, maybe we could believe he hit thrift stores and bought secondhand on things like the jackets? Who knows. Then getting your hair highlighted is NOT cheap- at all haha.
Anyway, I find there to be some peculiarity that while he seemed fiscally conservative on things, he still had expensive tastes in some areas. This is obviously a product of having a wardrobe designer/prop team that was keeping up with the times. I don't picture Mac actually buying the latest most expensive Nikes without an endorsement deal as part of the mix
Even SAK's- as I have discussed on knife forums before with people- are the highest quality knife you can get for the money. Nothing even comes close. So things like that, the duct tape, a $20 timex watch- the things he carried around said something about his economic position.
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Posts: 137
Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Gender: Male
Country: Costa Rica
SAK owned:
Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:all
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
yeah, mac was a little conservative, in fact he could get $3 million and he preferred the normal life without luxury, so he destroyed that case, but he enjoys expensive shoes and jackets, and some cars hard to mantain.
Now I've actually been meaning to bring this up- so he was a very economical person by and large, and yet, he would buy what, at the time, were pretty expensive shoes, watches (after the TImex), and ESPECIALLY jackets haha. Now, maybe we could believe he hit thrift stores and bought secondhand on things like the jackets? Who knows. Then getting your hair highlighted is NOT cheap- at all haha.
I think, as you say, most of that was outside of the MacGyver universe, in other words, it was the wardrobe department making decisions, and wasn't suppose to reflect that MacGyver brought expensive things. I think also that things like the multiple flight jackets, were more a result of having to replace damaged items or having to have multiple versions of clothing for studio and location shooting and maybe not getting the exact same items. Certainly in the case of the new "bomber" jacket, that just probably wore out and they got as close to the original as they could find.
On the other hand, it could be argued that it he looked for good quality value for money, so in paying a little more he got a better product which would last a lot longer. Which actually isn't a silly idea and it certainly seemed that he could afford to pay a little extra to get the good quality items.
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
QUOTE (Rockatteer @ 5 November 2009 - 08:38 AM)
QUOTE
Now I've actually been meaning to bring this up- so he was a very economical person by and large, and yet, he would buy what, at the time, were pretty expensive shoes, watches (after the TImex), and ESPECIALLY jackets haha. Now, maybe we could believe he hit thrift stores and bought secondhand on things like the jackets? Who knows. Then getting your hair highlighted is NOT cheap- at all haha.
I think, as you say, most of that was outside of the MacGyver universe, in other words, it was the wardrobe department making decisions, and wasn't suppose to reflect that MacGyver brought expensive things. I think also that things like the multiple flight jackets, were more a result of having to replace damaged items or having to have multiple versions of clothing for studio and location shooting and maybe not getting the exact same items. Certainly in the case of the new "bomber" jacket, that just probably wore out and they got as close to the original as they could find.
On the other hand, it could be argued that it he looked for good quality value for money, so in paying a little more he got a better product which would last a lot longer. Which actually isn't a silly idea and it certainly seemed that he could afford to pay a little extra to get the good quality items.
I forgot to mention that- yeah I firmly believe in buying better shoes and them lasting longer. Personally, I work on cars/help a friend with dirty jobs a lot, so I need something rugged yet fashionable. Something I can wear working on a car and get motor oil, then wipe it off and wear them to a dinner later than night. I have had excellent results with Sketchers "Tao"- I've had four pairs of sketchers, three of this particular model, and wearing them everyday for every task, on average they last about a year and costs around $60-$70:
They are comfortable, durable, fashionable, and darn near impossible to stain. Sure I could go through 3 pairs of wal-mart shoes a year for the same price, and have my feet kill me the whole time- or I can buy them once and enjoy every minute my foot spends in them.
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender: Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know
Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
QUOTE
Never more than one car at a time that was shown, but then the Jeep reappeared toward the end, so maybe he kept it in storage?
In Serenity you can actually see the Jeep and the yellow Pick-up truck at parking lot of the Marina.
What concerns buying in my case. Besides a few basic things like shower gel and shaving cream, I only buy dvd's. Still living at home you know and pay along with my mother for some things. Of course that'll change when I move out of the house, but even than I won't buy any thing that I won't need. If I have my home cinema set and my internet (and of course a full fridge) I'd be happy. And might add a washing machine, too. I'm not a gardner, so I won't be needing gardening tools.
We all know Mac. Modest and integrity are his references. Considering his line of work, putting his life at stake here, he must've made some good money and than all those special bonusses. Don't expect him to buy a jacuzzi. But hey, everybody likes to buy nice things once in a while.
I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver. Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you. It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.
Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender: Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman
Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Brown bomber
House: House boat
I think some portion of his money went to charity. For instance he was supporting a girl in China consistently for years- I just can't picture him making a lot of money and not using it to somehow better the world or the lives of people around him.
Still, a valid point has been made that for his kind of work, he certainly made well beyond what it costed him to have the lifestyle that he did- so maybe Mac eventually retired somewhere nice? I mean, either he gave it all away, or he was saving it, and with no family, he would definitely have an incentive to use it before he was gone...
"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle
"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser
Don't remember even seeing mac buy things, (except cold medicine and stopping a robbery
We see him with a hand full of cash in his pocket in Runners when he buys lunch for himself and Jennifer and there are times when we see he has cash in his pocket (gas station in Easy Target).
Posts: 314
Joined: 19 Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Country: Dickson City PA
SAK owned: Red Swiss
Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:All when he's on screen.
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket: Black/Navy flight
House: House boat
Remember that in Love or Money he mentions the the foundation pays for all his bills so anything extra is extra. From all the years of paying attention to this type of question it seems to me that he does what I would do: Make sure you have enought to finaicially protect yourself and family then give to cheritys and invest in things your passionate about. I think MacGyver gave most of his extra money to causes and cherities he believed in (like RDA) but also splurged once in a great while when he really wanted or needed something. I love that. He wouldn't be realistic otherwise. He deserves to have things like a newer jacket or various things. Especially since he's not typically a big spender and keeps everything as long as possible. Plus two of those cars came from Harry so he only needs to maintain them.
Mac Jackson Host of The MacGyver Podcast and MacGyver/SG-1 Audio Series iTunes, Stitcher,Facebook and Twitter@macwjackson Singer/Songwriter of "Harmony Constant" Songs available on itunes, CDBaby and Amazon youtube.com/macwjack
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)