Possible 1st season filmign location?
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 January 2010 - 03:58 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



According to this article a first season scene involving a train was filmed in Indian Dunes California.

The only scene I can think of with a train would be Slow Death?

QUOTE
What with the hot lights and the crush of Hollywood extras dressed as Bengali peasants, it's blistering in the ancient New York Central coach car as it chugs along a spur of track in Indian Dunes, Cal., an hour northeast of Los Angeles.


Although this bit doesn't seem familiar, although it has been a while since I saw this episode.

QUOTE
he's following Anderson through the bar car, which the prop people have filled with dusty baskets, brass incense burners, and posters of the Hindu gods Krishna and Ganesha.


Anyway I did some searching in Google and found some pictures of sand dunes in that area which look remarkably like the ones MacGyver runs across to get to the balloon in an opening gambit.

There's also some pictures which look similar to the stream area MacGyver landed in To Be a Man.

I'll try doing some more digging around and see what else I can find, but thought someone here might know more about it.





Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Lothithil
Posted: 18 January 2010 - 04:14 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,214
Joined: 3 Dec 2005
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Camper&Swissbit

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I think you're absolutely right, Rocky. The cabin of the engine in 'Slow Death' was decorated just like it is described in that article.

It's still one of my favourite episodes. I must have watched it a billion times by now! laugh.gif



Everyone, sometimes, needs a camel.

Old troubleshooters never die...
They just wait til the last moment and then rescue themselves!

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 January 2010 - 04:34 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Kewl. Sounds like the right track then.. now it's just a matter of working out exactly where that place is hmm.bmp



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 18 January 2010 - 06:36 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I actually remember reading that article when it was first published! I was completely nuts about the show -- I might even have the article clipped and saved in a box somewhere!

It was definitely "Slow Death". The same article mentions RDA doing a scene 'chasing' Alan Fudge, who played Paul Webster, down the aisle of a railroad car.

ETA: It seems to be very difficult to find Indian Dunes, CA online. It's in Ventura County, and is best known for being the location of the fatal helicopter crash when the Twilight Zone movie was being filmed.

Try looking here for more info: http://www.vintagemx.us/forgottentracks.htm

"Indian Dunes is still there, but not open to the general public. Now, the movie and TV people use it for location shooting. To get to the Dunes, go north of LA on Highway 5, turn left on 126 and it's on the left side a few miles down the road."



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 January 2010 - 07:27 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



yeah I found some articles and a picture of the old air-strip where that accident happened.

Your not wrong about being hard to find. I followed your directions and found where the old air-strip use to be, but it looks like the whole area is under redevelopment. 've just been up and down the road in Street View and that whole area is flat as a pancake. The train tracks are gone and if this is where the sand dunes use to be they too have gone.

I'm wondering now if that old airstrip was the one they used for Last Stand?

Attached Image
Attached Image



Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 18 January 2010 - 10:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I just found this picture showing what it looks like now and showing where the old airstrip use to be.

Interestingly this is where the Black Sheep Squadron (Bar bar black sheep) show was filmed, which starred Dana Elcar.

user posted image




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 19 January 2010 - 11:38 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



According to this news article from the LA times. Indian Dunes was converted to farm land in 1990 and is now under real estate development.

It seemed to be a very well used filming location for hollywood and I wouldn't be surprised if other MacGyver episodes, such as Golden Triangle, Trumbo's World and The Road Not Taken were filmed there as well.








Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll