A MacGyver’s Guide To Quake Survival
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 January 2010 - 11:38 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I just found this little gem of a post.

clicky




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 29 January 2010 - 08:01 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Interesting . . . some good ideas there. I can't help thinking, though. The maxi-pad and petroleum jelly won't be much use without the petroleum jelly, which was not on the list.

Gloves, to protect the hands, might be more useful than using playing cards as makeshift splints after you've damaged the hands by not wearing gloves. The prybar will also help save your hands.

Playing cards also make lousy markers for a trail -- they're made of paper, which gets blown away.

The Listerine's a worthwhile tip. And having a backup pair of good, sturdy shoes is essential -- although the most important place for them isn't under the bed. It's under the desk at work. Especially for women, who are more likely to be wearing impractical shoes at work. Most of us have several pairs of shoes in our bedrooms.

(I have to attend earthquake safety training annually at work. It's interesting.)



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 29 January 2010 - 11:04 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (MacBeth @ 29 January 2010 - 09:01 PM)
The maxi-pad and petroleum jelly won't be much use without the petroleum jelly, which was not on the list.


I had to read that statement 5 times before it made sense.

You mean they talked about the petroleum jelly, but didn't add it as an item right?

God I hope that's what you meant otherwise I'm hitting the drink (and I don't even drink!)




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 30 January 2010 - 07:56 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Yes, that's what they did, and that's what I meant. They added the maxi-pad to their list of Things To Have, but apparently assumed that petroleum jelly will fall from the sky, or be left lying around conveniently by a thoughtful set dresser.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
SHEILA
Posted: 31 January 2010 - 11:02 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 248
Joined: 27 May 2008
Gender:  Female
Country: East Texas
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 7
Episode:The Stringer
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  Second Loft



That is a good list to have.. I live in Tornado ally and I think I may add this stuff to my kit. Its fuuny what people will add to emergancy kit.. I guess it kinds dpends on where you live. MacG.gif matchs.JPG clip.JPG sak.gif duct.gif jeep.gif



Walk in Love,Walk in service,and you will walk in honor. My beloved son Angus.

An Army Of One
Be Army Strong.

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 1 February 2010 - 01:11 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



Where you live makes a huge difference -- local climate's more important than the kind of disaster you think you might be facing. In Florida, a hurricane kit doesn't really need to include heavy warm clothing in case of snow, for example. And here in Seattle, we're more likely to need water purifiers than water itself, which doesn't store well for nearly as long.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll