Golden triangle, a suggestion
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Flyboy16
Posted: 22 January 2010 - 05:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 76
Joined: 22 Jan 2010
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned: cadet,sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:the hiest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I was reading the macgyverisms and for golden triangle i think that when he was tied up they should add the fact the he opened his knife and cut the rope to the list sak.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 22 January 2010 - 06:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



That's not really a MacGyverism; he used his SAK for cutting all the time. That's what knives usually do.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 22 January 2010 - 06:53 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Welcome aboard Flyboy.

MacGyverisms consist of building or using something (or some things together) for a purpose other than for which they were intended. So opening the knife with one hand doesn't really fall into that category, although I can see how some may think it could be.




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 23 January 2010 - 09:47 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



The real trick is opening the knife blade of an SAK one-handed without cutting yourself. When I got mine, I practiced until I could open any of the tools one-handed, with either hand, without looking at them (which is very useful in the dark).

But it's really difficult to do the knife blade one-handed without bloodshed, especially since Victorinox does such a lovely job of sharpening the blades.

In "The Golden Triangle", they cut away and you don't see him actually opening the knife; as I recall, in "Deadly Silents", they did have him doing the one-handed open on camera. I guess seven years of practice (and hand gashes) helped.

sak.gif



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 28 January 2010 - 11:14 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Did anyone here know about the amendment that U.S. Customs wanted to make to the Federal Switchblade Act?

Apparently they wanted to reclassify all one handed opening and assisted opening knives as switchblades and make them illegal.

According to the Knife Rights web site there was a massive retaliation to the proposal from a variety of groups which lead to the The President signing into law the FY2010 Homeland Security Appropriations Bill on October 28, 2009, which included an amendment to the Federal Switchblade Act that clearly exempts assisted and one-hand opening knives.

I'm not sure if SAKs would have fallen into that category, but it sounds a little close for comfort.

So MacBeth, cut out the one handed opening eh? laugh.gif




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 29 January 2010 - 07:38 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



tongue.gif

Trust me, it's difficult enough to do that the SAK wouldn't get classified that way. There are people who can juggle chainsaws, but that isn't going to get the chainsaws classified as juggling clubs.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
MacGyverOnline
Posted: 29 January 2010 - 11:06 PM                                    
Quote Post


Administrator
*********

Posts: 9,373
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Yeah but you know what politicians are like. dry.gif




Join the MacGyver Online Network

Facebook ~ X ~ Instagram

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Flyboy16
Posted: 30 January 2010 - 04:08 PM                                    
Quote Post


Trouble shooter
**

Posts: 76
Joined: 22 Jan 2010
Gender:   ---
Country:
SAK owned: cadet,sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:the hiest
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



No saks were gonna be banned as well. Any knife that is held in place by any kind of spring was gonna go. case, vic, buck. all were going to be banned but it would have killed the economy even more so they didnt do it



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacDriver
Posted: 30 January 2010 - 05:27 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 377
Joined: 31 May 2006
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Sportsman

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (MacBeth @ 23 January 2010 - 09:47 PM)
The real trick is opening the knife blade of an SAK one-handed without cutting yourself. When I got mine, I practiced until I could open any of the tools one-handed, with either hand, without looking at them (which is very useful in the dark).

But it's really difficult to do the knife blade one-handed without bloodshed, especially since Victorinox does such a lovely job of sharpening the blades.

In "The Golden Triangle", they cut away and you don't see him actually opening the knife; as I recall, in "Deadly Silents", they did have him doing the one-handed open on camera. I guess seven years of practice (and hand gashes) helped.

sak.gif

And here I thought I was the only one on the forum who had done this and thought it was a cool skill to have wub.gif

As far as Deadly Silents, yeah I remember him doing that, and I seem to remember him possible resting the pad of his thumb against the blade surface to open it- ouch! surprise.gif Maybe they used a really dull one for that particular sequence, but they would had to switch angles- and knives- because the knife was sharp enough to stab through a wallet seconds later. But yeah I remember reading somewhere that he had bandages on all the time because he always fiddled with SAKs on the set, so by the end of the series I'm sure he had tried the one hand thing a time or two.



"It's a real ugly thing to see in a dog. It's even worse in a human being." --The Golden Triangle

"I'd like a 16-inch pizza, run it through the garden, hold the chovies." -- The Eraser

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 30 January 2010 - 08:00 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



You may have read that here. When we saw him at Gatecon in 2008, someone asked him about the knives, and his characteristically long and rambling answer included describing how he frequently cut himself messing around with the knives. I did a write-up of the Q&A after Gatecon.

And it is a cool skill to have, as far as I'm concerned. Both doing the one-handed opening, and being able to open the desired individual tool without looking.



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Traveller
Posted: 30 January 2010 - 10:51 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 808
Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Gender:   ---
Country: Somewhere else
SAK owned: Explorer

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:Trail of Tears
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Look! No hands!

swissopen.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacBeth
Posted: 31 January 2010 - 07:02 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 5,799
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Gender:  Female
Country: Ecotopian in Exile
SAK owned: Swiss Memory

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode: must I choose?
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



harhar.gif

Okay. Opening your SAK telekinetically is definitely cooler. happy.gif



[No wilderness] is so dangerous as a city home "with all the modern improvements".
One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
-- John Muir
---
LOLMac daily:
lolmac.livejournal.com
icanhastofu.tumblr.com

Writing & personal blog:
BethInExile

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll