MacGyver sports
  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll
 
Which one do you like most?
White water rafting (Trumbo's World) [ 2 ]  [9.52%]
Soccer (The Escape) [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Kayaking (Final Approach) [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Skiing (Out in the Cold) [ 2 ]  [9.52%]
Ice Hockey (Thin Ice) [ 9 ]  [42.86%]
Racing (Collision Course) [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Kickboxing (Second Chance) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Horse races (Jenny's Chance) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Cycling (The Lost Amadeus) [ 4 ]  [19.05%]
Baseball (Squeeze Play) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Boxing (Split Decision) [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
MacGyverGod
Posted on 28 March 2012 - 10:58 AM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,777
Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Gender:  Male
Country: Belgium
SAK owned: Don't know

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Serenity, Passages, Humanity
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black/Navy flight
House:  House boat



We all know MacGyver had a great sense of sports and in plenty episodes. In nearly every season we see an episode dedicated to a sport. Even if it was just a mention. He had a white water raft escape in Trumbo's World. We see him playing soccer in The Escape. Asking Pete to go kayaking with him if he finished his assignment with the teens in Final Approach. They went skiing together in Out in the Cold and Easy Target. He played hockey in the Eraser and was a substitute for a coach in Thin Ice was still swift on the skates in Harry's Will and came back from matches in Stricktly Business and The Walking Dead. He likes racing in Collision Course. Went to a kickboxing match in Second Chance. Tricked a con artist on horse races in Jenny's Chance. Kept Wilt Bozer on a good distance while cycling in Lost Amadeus. Helped out Novis Reilly and Mama Colton finding back baseball cards and got Dent back in shape for boxing.

Now just out of curiosity which out of all those sports you find the most appealing? I know not all the sports were practiced by Mac but did became part of plots or were briefly mentioned.

The reason I'm asking this is because I went carting two nights ago with my friends. It was a little get together. And I do have to say though it lasted only 15 minutes I really did enjoy myself. I drove about 15 laps (I did finish last though it was my first time) and while I was driving I had these flashes of Mac in the race car. That's why I also had to watch Collision Course so badly last night. biggrin.gif

Out of the list I can say (now) racing, boxing, skiing (but that would be snowboarding) and maybe kayaking and white water rafting. Personally I'm gymnast but of course there are other things of interest. And I don't know... it was my first time carting. It's known as the cheapest variation of racing in the car sport. Since that day I'm actually with my mind on that racetrack, maybe there's some potential in me.

What are your interests and is it because it's Mac-ish? I think that also had to do with it for a part when I was carting.



I think the poison that was used was applied to this knife, passed to the mutton when it was cut and then activated by the wine. - MacGyver.
Sometimes you just have to die a little inside to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you.
It's better to be a little sad than to be fake content.

 
PMEmail PosterMSN                                                                     
Top
KiwiTek
Posted on 28 March 2012 - 04:34 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 4,093
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:  Male
Country: NZ
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I love off road cycling and also have a keen interest in motor racing. Hmmm can only make one vote.... hmm.bmp

I've tried my hand at all except kick boxing on the list in some form or other, some and enjoyed all of them.

I think Ice Hockey wins by a narrow margin over Motor racing though.




 
PM                                                                     
Top
cirubit
Posted on 5 April 2012 - 05:44 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 425
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Gender:  Male
Country: ITALY
SAK owned: various

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:phoenix under siege
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I'm Italian and I voted SOCCER of course!

I play Soccer as "Goalkepeer", but Mac does not play well ...







 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Bushwalker
  Posted on 5 April 2012 - 05:21 PM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 127
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Gender:  Male
Country: Australia
SAK owned: Trekker

Favorites
Season: season 6
Episode:
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  Second Loft



tongue.gif Ice Hockey might be MacGyver's favourite, but it's not big over here in Oz. I'm from a soccer playing family - so that's the leading team game on that list...

However, I'm more into the individual and "outdoorsy" pursuits shown on there, for myself: bicycling, kayaking and skiing..

So, I asked myself what I would rather be doing now if I had the chance ~ and I gave my vote to "Skiing".

As they say: "The worst days skiing is better than the best day working". happy_dance.gif



 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacFan092985
Posted on 9 May 2012 - 07:56 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 903
Joined: 7 May 2010
Gender:  Male
Country: CO
SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode: . . . Holy Rose
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I've been white water rafting twice have always wanted to jump into the raft as it's leaving the dock, like Mac did, but I don't think the rafting guide or the other riders would appreciate my stuntman move. biggrin.gif



"Jeep. My Jeep? What are you talking about? Penny! My Jeep?" - MacGyver

"Look at me. I'm a hurtin' guy! I'm beat up. I need a month's worth of sleep . . . and I need a haircut!" - MacGyver

"It's been said, 'The best gift a man could ever give another, was his life', Jack Dalton was never one to settle for less than the best. Thank you Jack." - MacGyver

"Reboots are born out of the lack of imagination." M. Lance Frank

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
Joe SAKic
Posted on 15 February 2013 - 03:50 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,483
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



I remember the hockey episode(s?) Actually, it was around that time that rumors started to circulate around that RDA was a Canadian and that he played in the minor leagues and had been drafted by an NHL team. I believed this up until a short time ago actually - when a Google proved this 'not' to be true.

On the other hand he is from Minnesota, the honorary '11th province' of Canada due to it's proximity, climate and large contingent of Pro Hockey players who hail from that state. When googling the above, I found another 'story' that he was indeed a late cut of the 1980 USA Miracle on Ice team that won the Olympic Gold Medal at Lake Placid. Again a crazy Mac story easily debunked by his advanced (hockey) age at that time.

A perhaps interesting note/observation is that RDA's portrayal of MacGyver's character - exhibits the demeanor, mannerisms, game face & politeness consistent with hockey players from that era. This is quite apparent to someone who played and watched alot of hockey around that time.

(why do all the smilies tend to migrate to the end of the post on this engine?)



The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
KiwiTek
Posted on 15 February 2013 - 04:28 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 4,093
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:  Male
Country: NZ
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 15 February 2013 - 04:50 PM)
A perhaps interesting note/observation is that RDA's portrayal of MacGyver's character - exhibits the demeanor, mannerisms, game face & politeness consistent with hockey players from that era. This is quite apparent to someone who played and watched alot of hockey around that time.

Most of the MacGyver character are from RDA's input. Mannerisims, expressions, love of hockey, etc are all RDA's input to the character.

I had a discussion once with someone who made the comment "RDA is basically MacGyver without the scientific knowledge." and they were pretty much right on. He put so much of himself into the character.


QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 15 February 2013 - 04:50 PM)
(why do all the smilies tend to migrate to the end of the post on this engine?)

It seems to be specific to different web browsers. Firefox has always done it and IE has never done it, and still doesn't. I just checked Chrome and that does it also. It's yet another of those annoying differences in how the web browsers handle the same piece of code differently.





 
PM                                                                     
Top
freakofnature
Posted on 15 February 2013 - 08:32 PM                                    
Quote Post


Challengers Volunteer
*

Posts: 14
Joined: 7 Jan 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Motorcycle
Jacket:  Leather Biker
House:  House boat



Hockey hockey hockey!!! biggrin.gif

I think MacGyver is cool because he's a hockey fan/player, not the other way around. tongue.gif I also think it's awesome that MacGyver is a Flames fan because that's my team. biggrin.gif



Duct tape miracles
Sweet Swiss Army knife escapes
Murdoc never dies

 
PM                                                                     
Top
Joe SAKic
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 04:38 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,483
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Haha, yes and it seemed that that connection with hockey grew more & more over the years with RDA's appearances in so many Celebrity hockey games, sports card promotional releases, etc. And he definitely had that era's hockey mullet thing happening too - albeit a tamed-down version there of. Btw, is that a Regehr Jersey that you have on in your profile pic? Is Iggy headed to the recycle bin soon?

Oh and a general question - was MacgGyver scripted a Flames fan because the timeline of the series was leading upto and into the Calgary '88 Olmpics? It would seem like an apt strategic alliance, publicity stunt so as to maximize fanfare, imo. Perhaps this was discussed (or not) in any literature that's hence come to print on the series ...... ?

Of course RDA is a Wild Fan .... with a bit of love left over for the Canucks apparently .....





user posted image



The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Jediferret
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 11:10 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 3,482
Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Spartan

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:Deadly Dreams
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



RDA/MacGyver got me into hockey lol If I was going to watch any sport, it would be hockey.

Racing is a close second because I do love cars, but I still find Nascar boring. I'm most just a diehard Dodge Viper fan... so, there you have it.

Now if only I could learn to ice skate. dry.gif



"Walk in love. Walk in service. And you will walk in honor." (Good Knight MacGyver)
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein
"What are ferrets made of? Happiness."

Twitter ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
KiwiTek
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 12:02 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Special Agent
********

Posts: 4,093
Joined: 29 Nov 2003
Gender:  Male
Country: NZ
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Runners
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



QUOTE (Jediferret @ 16 February 2013 - 12:10 PM)
Racing is a close second because I do love cars, but I still find Nascar boring.

You should check out the V8 Supercar racing. It's kinda like nascars on road (and oftern street) tracks instead of the normal oval track so there's lots of corners (left and right) and straights for maneuvers and tactics.

It's a lot more interesting to watch than Nascar.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
Mela_007
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 01:12 PM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Operative
****

Posts: 346
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Gender:  Female
Country: USA
SAK owned: Tinker,Champ+

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages; Humanity
Vehicle: Truck
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I have tried several of the sports listed and enjoyed each one, though some I've only tried once or twice (skiiing, kayaking, rafting). Skiing and ice skating are not very accessible to where I live. I have gone skiing once and have ice skated several times, though not well. Watching RDA on the skates warming the team up on "Thin Ice" facinates me. I have seen the episodes where he plays and I can tell he seems comfortable on the skates, but watching that episode really shows me just how comfortable he was on skates. He even pulled the other fighting players apart and stood back up on the skates holding two struggling players as though he were standing on the ground?!?!!!! I really like rafting and am planning to purchase a kayak this year.

I chose cycling because I have always loved riding and have just recently begun riding on a local mountain bike trail. I actually got up the guts to try it since I have been watching MacGyver in the last several months. I decided that if I were prepared (take along a small backpack with essentials) and had some guts (Mac inspired there too), that I could try it by myself. I have only ridden twice on the trails, but had a blast!!! happy_dance.gif



"I think if you try hard enough and make the best of a situation, the situation won't get the best of you." -MacGyver

Semper Vigilans - Civil Air Patrol

 
PM                                                                     
Top
MacGyverisms
Posted on 16 February 2013 - 02:43 PM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 176
Joined: 1 Feb 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: Indiana
SAK owned: Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 4
Episode:The Heist
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Black leather
House:  House boat



I chose hockey because one its the sport I would most associate with MacGyver. And second MacGyver's connection with hockey grew more and more over the years.

A close second would be racing because I love cars.

And third would probably be ice skating.



"You may not believe this, but there have been times when I've had a lot more fun in the back seat of a car." - MacGyver (Golden Triangle)

"Some may call it an obstacle course, others call it MacGyverLand." - MacGyver (The Survivors)

 
PM                                                                     
Top
YopeGyver
Posted on 18 March 2013 - 03:23 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,197
Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: Indiana
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages, Nightmares
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I chose cycling. Love love love biking! Especially racing on my bicycle.
But I also enjoy baseball, soccer and horse racing.
I'd really like to try skiing someday though. I know we've got some places for that not far from where I live.



"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

✈ ✈ ✈
Art

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Daisy8577
Posted on 18 March 2013 - 05:55 AM                                    
Quote Post


DXS Agent
*****

Posts: 687
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: Michigan
SAK owned: Camper, Tinker

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:Passages
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



I chose hockey. I'm a big Detroit Red Wings fan! It was hard to pick because I'm a big baseball fan too.



 
PM                                                                     
Top
YopeGyver
Posted on 18 March 2013 - 07:06 AM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Field Agent
*******

Posts: 2,197
Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Gender:  Female
Country: Indiana
SAK owned:

Favorites
Season: season 3
Episode:Passages, Nightmares
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Where's hang gliding on that list? biggrin.gif



"Our principles are the springs of our actions. Our actions, the springs of our happiness
or misery. Too much care, therefore, cannot be taken in forming our principles."
-Red Skelton

"You can't live in the past - there's a future to be had!"

✈ ✈ ✈
Art

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Joe SAKic
Posted on 23 March 2013 - 02:51 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,483
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



QUOTE (Joe SAKic @ 15 February 2013 - 12:38 PM)

Oh and a general question - was MacgGyver scripted a Flames fan because the timeline of the series was leading upto and into the Calgary '88 Olmpics? It would seem like an apt strategic alliance, publicity stunt so as to maximize fanfare, imo. Perhaps this was discussed (or not) in any literature that's hence come to print on the series ...... ?






Okay, I'm answering my own question here and it appears I had assumed correctly. The following, an excerpt from Rick Drew's email, indicates an acknowledgement/tie-in to the (then) upcoming Calgary Olympics and thus a good (enough) reason for Mac's NHL allegiance, if any, to stand with the Flames.

QUOTE
THIN ICE: Was my first original episode. It was inspired by the upcoming winter Olympics at the time, and the fact that Richard Dean Anderson was the honourary captain of the US Olympic hockey team. We felt we could take our "non-violent" theme and apply it to the blood sport of hockey.



The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
Joe SAKic
Posted on 3 April 2014 - 03:55 PM                                    
Quote Post


Phoenix Operative
******

Posts: 1,483
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: Canada
SAK owned: Huntsman 85-91

Favorites
Season: ---
Episode:
Vehicle: ---
Jacket:  ---
House:  ---



Okay, I've watched all the sports themed episodes now and Collision Course stands above the rest. Great stock footage mixed with some very decent race scenes and we learn that Mac was an F1 driver in an earlier life. biggrin.gif

You might have thought that I would have chosen Thin Ice but this one had better flow, script and supporting cast .... and pretty much the full episode at, around or on the track. Well done! sakopen.gif



The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man's determination.

Whether you think you can or you can't .... you're probably right!

"Nature often addressed our problems much better than the doctor." - Henry Miller

"So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless and don't be sorry." - Jack Kerouac

"No one is remembered for being normal" -- Albert Einstein

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
denizen
Posted on 3 April 2014 - 05:42 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,069
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: South Africa
SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Saw Collision Course not too long ago myself. Not bad for racing enthusiasts.

I voted for white river rafting. Definately down my line of passions!



"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
John Litteral
Posted on 4 April 2014 - 04:52 PM                                    
Quote Post


Special Forces Agent
***

Posts: 180
Joined: 4 Dec 2008
Gender:  Male
Country: Ashland Ky
SAK owned: Victorianox

Favorites
Season: season 5
Episode:changes often
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Ive been a big hockey fan (Pittsburgh Penguins!!) for many years and I have played off and on over the years. I did follow MMA for many years and trained some, but its turned into a drama filled fake hype form of pro wrestling, so I have lost a lot of interest in it within the past year or two.

I can relate a lot with MacGyver, I have a fairly good creative and mechanical mind and skills, and I have managed to stay athletic and healthy even now as I am 40. I love the outdoors, though I'm not quite the tree hugger as MacGyver but I do prefer to watch and admire wildlife rather than hunt and kill it.

I can relate somewhat with his fear of commitment but I did choose the family life and have spent the last 20 years married, though I could have easily stayed single and did my own thing, but I have no regrets at all.



He who is self taught is better off; yet on the otherhand, he does well when he listens to those who speak rightly. Aristotle Ethics

 
PMUsers Website                                                                     
Top
denizen
Posted on 4 April 2014 - 05:30 PM                                    
Quote Post


Director of Intelligence
*********

Posts: 7,069
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Gender:  Male
Country: South Africa
SAK owned: Tinker/Pioneer

Favorites
Season: season 1
Episode:The Human Factor
Vehicle: Jeep
Jacket:  Brown bomber
House:  House boat



Sounds great, John!



"The bag's not for what I take, Colson - it's for what I find along the way."

 
PMEmail Poster                                                                     
Top
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
 0 Members:
     

 Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast Reply Start new topicStart Poll